Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Visbhume

Prophet
A character could cover his comrades and block attacks with his shield. It's something that I thought was very tactical and interesting, so we've implemented [the same concept] in Legacy's battles as well. Now, you don't only have magical abilities — you also have melee actions, like defending your party. I feel like it adds a bit more to the gameplay.

Nice.

majestik12

Arcane
All this sounds just too good. They must be cooking up something truly wicked to troll us to death at the last moment.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The skill system is very similar to that of Might & Magic VI — novice, expert, master, and grandmaster tiers where you had to find trainer to get the next level.
Actually, grandmaster level was added in MM VII.

Ok, I can't find anything else to pick on. :incline: incoming?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Well...things to pick on (I always find them...):

* the removement of sci-fi elements (especially if it was common in the series)
* the races you can chose: human, dwarf, elf, ork? Come on... seriously? The same old 08/15 crap races as in Dragon Age and any other boring RPG...

I don't care so much about the first, but the 2nd one sucks. Simply unimaginative. I expected better especially when you see all the different races in HOMM games, M&M7+, Wizardry etc. But "Human, Dwarf, Elf" is just bleh boring fuck.

:rpgcodex:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
:roll: Might & Magic has always been this way, with the exceptions of VI and VIII.

Yeah, sorry, but it is worn out. Whenever I see the triple "Human, Elf, Dwarf" I must think of the average Lord of the Rings and how Dragon Age was designed after this boring 3 average races, and now M&M Legacy follows the same pattern...

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, sorry, but it is worn out. Whenever I see the triple "Human, Elf, Dwarf" I must think of the average Lord of the Rings and how Dragon Age was designed after this boring 3 average races, and now M&M Legacy follows the same pattern...

Then go back further and play this gem:

45008-phantasie-atari-st-screenshot-combat-optionss.gif

Phantasie already had Human, Dwarf, Halfling, Elf ,Gnome, Pixie, Gnoll, Orc, Lizardman, Minotaur (!) Ogre (!!) and Troll (!!) as playable races. I wish someone would do a Remake of the Phantasie Trilogy :(

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Aren't they making unique classes for each race or something? That would justify less race options. Otherwise it's p. stupid, specially in a FP game where your only expense would be extra portraits.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
HobGoblin42: Exactly! That! Where is all the fantasy gone? It's just damn streamlined. In the end we must be "grateful" that we can also chose to select an Orc in M&MX-Legacy... the Orc... the obligatory Orc...

Excidium: afaik, each race in M&M-X can have 3 classes: a wizard, a ranger, and a fighter (which sounded very average as well...). I'll try to find the section where I read that...

Edit: ok, on the website stands, that each race has 3 unique classes... at least not a total decline.

Zeriel

Arcane
???

The diversity you're asking for never really existed in Might & Magic. They always had elves, dwarves, orcs, and goblins (which didn't look like normal goblins, looked more like orcs), and little else.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well fuck me, it actually sounds like incline. I don't really know how the fuck this could happen, but well, I won't complain about it.

The only thing that bothers me a bit right now is the playtime - officially it's about 25 hours long which means you can easily take away 5 - 10 hours. But let's wait and see, maybe they haven't been sugarcoating the playtime after all.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Might and Magic had playable trolls and minotaurs too :smug:

It sounds like this guy actually is familiar with and respects the M&M series, which is a good positive surprise.
I'd been getting this since the gameplay video. It's the little things: the layout of the UI, the Wizard's Eye, the hireling slot.... they're the little things that someone trying to emulate the games Fallout 3 style wouldn't notice or pay attention to, but someone who knows the old games inside out and wants to recreate that special look and feel that made them what they are would think "wouldn't it be cool if we could redo that?"

I really like the combination of the turn-based blobbing from 3-5 with the skill system of 7. I loved each of the old games enough to never really think "boy I wish they'd combined them", but to see someone actually think of doing it NOW, in 2013...

At this point I don't care that it's Ashan. All I want them to pull off is the exploration. If they can nail that, and they implement everything the way they're saying they're implementing them... I'll be in heaven.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
At this point I don't care that it's Ashan. All I want them to pull off is the exploration. If they can nail that, and they implement everything the way they're saying they're implementing them... I'll be in heaven.

You'll be in heaven, having a Man Date with MMX. :smug:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Guyses, a realisation has just come down upon me.

This Julien Pirou, working as creative writer, is actually a real BRO. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's got an account on the Codex.

Interesting, interesting.

I remember this guy, what's his name... ah, yes - MMXI

Why is he not named MMX? DID HE KNOW SOMETHING AT THE TIME OF HIS REGISTRATION?

And SUSPICIOUSLY ENOUGH, he's recently stopped posting. Because he's "busy with real life crap".

you are being watched :rpgcodex:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

This Julien Pirou, working as creative writer, is actually a real BRO. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's got an account on the Codex.

And SUSPICIOUSLY ENOUGH, he's recently stopped posting. Because he's "busy with real life crap".

Yeah I remember the guy. I doubt he is one of the devs, he didn't write anything particularly interesting or insightful. MMXI could be just his year of registration in roman numbers. (2011) But if I'm mistaken, please MMXI step out into the light and reveal yourself.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Would be funny because he goes by the name of "Wizardry" in other places.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, strange... I must have mixed up a whole lotta races in my head, but after research only Might & Magic 8 had all these variable races (Dragon, Vampire, Minotaur, Troll etc.) - any other M&M had some Goblin or HalfOrc at best.

It's unimaginative, nevertheless. I expected more, especially if they mentioned the HOMM series for storyline and even reuse its artwork (see screenshots of dwarfs). Choices would have been enough to add in other than the average 3 races.

BobtheTree

Savant
My Gawd... Will UBISoft be the FIRST Publisher not to demand that the Development of one of its Older IP's be complete fucking RAPE????
The incline of the game will be offset by Uplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom