Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Stabwound

Arcane
Wizardry 8 had a similar (but shorter, 9 years) delay between 7 and 8 and it was arguably an incline or at least on the level of 7, most people would agree. But then again, it was still published and developed by Sir-Tech, not a huge conglomerate like MMX is.

On another similar note, Wiz 8 was the last game Sir-Tech ever developed or published. :(

But yeah, the recent X-Com game is the only similar example I can think of, and even that was pretty inferior to the original. I'd argue Deus Ex: Human Revolution was a great delayed sequel to the first DE, too.

I'm still just astonished that Ubisoft gave the go-ahead to a game of this type in 2013. It would be like EA putting out an Infocom text adventure. What/when was the last big-budget grid-based CRPG? It had to have been early 90s.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'm still just astonished that Ubisoft gave the go-ahead to a game of this type in 2013. It would be like EA putting out an Infocom text adventure.

Probably because Grimrock and the KS craze proved there's an audience and a profit to be made from these type of games.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Guyses, a realisation has just come down upon me.

This Julien Pirou, working as creative writer, is actually a real BRO. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's got an account on the Codex.

Interesting, interesting.

I remember this guy, what's his name... ah, yes - MMXI

Why is he not named MMX? DID HE KNOW SOMETHING AT THE TIME OF HIS REGISTRATION?

And SUSPICIOUSLY ENOUGH, he's recently stopped posting. Because he's "busy with real life crap".

you are being watched :rpgcodex:

realmindblowing.jpg

Heh, nice theory, but we know that MMXI is British, not French.

It would be like EA putting out an Infocom text adventure.
Activision, you mean? They own the rights.

Zeriel

Arcane
My Gawd... Will UBISoft be the FIRST Publisher not to demand that the Development of one of its Older IP's be complete fucking RAPE????
The incline of the game will be offset by Uplay.

Sail the seas, my friend. Sail the seas. Although even if you don't, how much trouble is a one-time online activation, really? Uplay may be annoying to have on your computer, but at least it's not always-on DRM at this point.

Stabwound

Arcane
I have always been one to take to the high seas, but Wasteland 2 was one of the first games I paid for in a LONG time, and that was just a pledge to show that people want these kinds of games.

Regardless of Uplay shit, if Might & Magic X turns out to be a good game, I am absolutely buying it. We need to support this shit, guys. I have no regret about finding Bioshock Infinite on a pirate ship, but fuck the AAA industry. Please, for the love of fuck, buy this game if it turns out to be a worthy MM game. It's really the only way to fight the decline.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buy the game, download UPlay-less version from TPB. Or better yet just a crack to remove it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
If I have to bypass a buggy, malware-infested client in order to play a computer game, I'm not paying the publisher one cent.

I'll snail mail $60 in an envelope directly to Limbic Entertainment's offices, but that's about it.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I think Ubisoft's corporate masters have no idea they're making the game. If they do, this Julien Pirou probably pulled a jedi mind trick and convinced them this is a cellphone game or something.

Another thing that strikes me as odd, is this hardcore return to step based blobber. There is not a M&M forum on the whole internet, with a poll where World of Xeen has more votes than MM6 or MM7, codex included. In fact, I find it interesting that World of Xeen is actually two games counted as one, so fans don't have to argue which one is better and can instead dump their votes into the WoX construct. On the other hand, MM6 vs MM7 is an ongoing debate (usually - better dungeons vs stronghold and slightly more complicated skill system).
Now, MM6 and MM7 are basicly the same game, from an engine and gameplay perspective. One could argue, that if the two Xeen games can be counted as one for the purposes of a poll, then MM6 & MM7 could be counted together as well for the purposes of the same poll. In this case, it would become clear that there are way, way more free roam fags than step based fags, even on the codex.

This observation of mine is not rocket science and I'm sure Ubisoft's marketing team would have spotted it as well. So why the "hardcore" return to grid-based ?

1. They really are hardcore and want a return to roots. Not likely.
2. They have no idea they're making the game. Funny, but still unlikely.
3. They want to invest as little as possible, literally the minimum amount needed to make a game resembling M&M and what ? Test the waters ? Test the waters for what ? Cash in on whatever smidgen of notoriety the franchise has left ? Appeal to the niche market of blobber lovers ? Sell it to anime fags ?

My guess is that a turn-based grimrock will have the same amount of sales as grimrock, no matter what title you slap on to it.
In other words, if you test the waters with the cheapest bait possible you're not gonna' catch a lot of fish.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
If I have to bypass a buggy, malware-infested client in order to play a computer game, I'm not paying the publisher one cent.

I'll snail mail $60 in an envelope directly to Limbic Entertainment's offices, but that's about it.

A noble sentiment, but of course if Ubisoft doesn't get paid your new favorite developer doesn't get to touch the M&M license again.

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm no expert at all, but it seems to me like going grid/turn-based is a lot cheaper and easier.

I doubt at all that Ubisoft has no idea about the project. They were prominently displayed at PAX East alongside their Assassin's Creed and other huge games.

And damn, you think Grimrock did poorly? They were a small (like, 5 full time members I think?) team and raked in something like 500,000 in copies sold. I really doubt Ubisoft expects the game to sell like their triple AAA titles, or even close. For MMX, 500,000 at probably $20-25 a pop is probably a huge profit considering how little they seem to have invested in it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
In terms of how much a game made compared to what it cost, Grimrock is probably among the top games last year.

Gozma

Arcane
Now, MM6 and MM7 are basicly the same game, from an engine and gameplay perspective. One could argue, that if the two Xeen games can be counted as one for the purposes of a poll, then MM6 & MM7 could be counted together as well for the purposes of the same poll. In this case, it would become clear that there are way, way more free roam fags than step based fags, even on the codex.

If you go back and play MM6+ now they look fucking awful and like plodding proto-3D games; if you go back and play MM3-5 they look like the best and most charming representatives of the whole lost tradition of TB grid-blobbers.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

If you go back and play MM6+ now they look fucking awful and like plodding proto-3D games; if you go back and play MM3-5 they look like the best and most charming representatives of the whole lost tradition of TB grid-blobbers.

MM6 is charming in its own way. The sprites, interface, and character portraits, anyway. The 3D environments are pretty shit.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Actually the MMX announcement caught me in the middle of a MM6 replay and I can tell you I have no problems with how it looks. The grayface patch even adds mouse look and cycling quicksave slots and fixes all bugs.

Back to original argument.

Grimrock made a very good profit but MMX will cost more. The end result will be similar though. Then there's UPlay. Then there's the fact that people will not pirate grimrock out of principle because of indie sympathy and fighting the good fight mentality. No one will have a problem pirating MMX because Ubisoft is "evil" and uplay.

Stabwound

Arcane

That's something I've repeated often. Might & Magic 3-5 looked fucking amazing considering the time they came out. Wizardry 6 came out in 1990, M&M3 came out in 1991. There is a world of difference in everything from visuals to the UI itself. Wiz6 has the exactly same grey tileset for the entire dungeon, and MM3 features an open world with variety and vibrant colors and still looks good today.

Then we get to Might & Magic 6 which looks like a bad surrealist painting done by an autistic person on acid. It's one of the ugliest and clunkiest CRPGs ever, especially compared to the masterpiece of MM5 before it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

That's something I've repeated often. Might & Magic 3-5 looked fucking amazing considering the time they came out. Wizardry 6 came out in 1990, M&M3 came out in 1991. There is a world of difference in everything from visuals to the UI itself. Wiz6 has the exactly same grey tileset for the entire dungeon, and MM3 features an open world with variety and vibrant colors and still looks good today.

Then we get to Might & Magic 6 which looks like a bad surrealist painting done by an autistic person on acid. It's one of the ugliest and clunkiest CRPGs ever, especially compared to the masterpiece of MM5 before it.

MM3-5 looks great and has a very good UI, but both Wizardry 6 and MM6-7 have superior and more challenging gameplay.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

MM3-5 looks great and has a very good UI, but both Wizardry 6 and MM6-7 have superior and more challenging gameplay.
pfft, you can't even walk backwards in Wizardry 6.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess I'm (almost) the only one who likes MM6's graphics. :(

:bro:
I like it and MM7 as well. I started a new MM7 playthrough recently and I think it still looks pretty decent. Dated? Sure, it looked dated when it was released, but I wouldn't say it looks significantly worse than most games from that era.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom