Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Zizek is a total BRO :smug:

And he looks like a hobo.

My trust in academic superstars is directly proportionate to how much they look like hobos.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In gameplay videos portraits seem static. I hope they implent different condition portraits and conversations for our party/NPCs.
I really love playing with "mad" charaters and game wont be charming as previous ones if shopkeepers call us "Cheapskates" after we leave shop without buying anything :)

Yeah, these little details added to Might & Magic's flair. I don't want to miss it either.

jewboy

Arbiter
I would have no qualms about pirating a game with DRM, but I won't be pirating this because I fucking hate step-based movement, if you can even call instantaneously transporting to a new position 'movement' at all. The best DRM is to make a game so unappealing to most people that no one wants it. I'm guessing that's what Ubisoft is experimenting with here. Perhaps they will try using ASCII graphics for their next experiment. I don't think they will have to worry about crackers or free riders with that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I would have no qualms about pirating a game with DRM, but I won't be pirating this because I fucking hate step-based movement, if you can even call instantaneously transporting to a new position 'movement' at all. The best DRM is to make a game so unappealing to most people that no one wants it. I'm guessing that's what Ubisoft is experimenting with here. Perhaps they will try using ASCII graphics for their next experiment. I don't think they will have to worry about crackers or free riders with that.

In case you're not just trolling: There are many people who love games like this. Especially the monocled gentlemen here at the Codex.

There have been more than enough free-roaming games, so why don't you go and pirate those?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

In case you're not just trolling

fat chance

Lord Andre

Arcane
"Step based" is ok but I'm not much of a fan. Usually people say free roam is too much like a shooter. Well, to me step based is like a shooter on rails going by the same analogy.
When I was a kid I used to play Virtua Cop and House of the Dead a lot but I wouldn't do it now. Maybe if I got nostalgic enough, I don't know.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Except that in step-based games you can still go where you want, it's just, well... step-based.

MetalCraze

Arcane
How can you call a sequel to one of the most dumbed down RPGs that makes Oblivion look like a great and complex game - a possible incline?

There's zero depth in M&M. It's just a Call of Duty of RPGs that was milked every year with shit non-existent gameplay.

I just move from square to square, hit an attack button and drink potions! INCLINE! Cue posers crying about Diablo killing RPGs.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
8364.jpg

Redlands

Arcane
I just move from square to square, hit an attack button and drink potions! INCLINE! Cue posers crying about Diablo killing RPGs.

That's because the terrain is marked out by clones of you, and nobody wants to cut themselves on all the sharp edges. Therefore: jumping from square to square.

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Which HoMM mods did Julien Pirou make?
Legends ot the Ancients :
http://lota.celestialheavens.com/
I didn't try it.

About the use of Ashan's world, I'm quite surprised that Pirou did not choose a more original universe for he mentioned several times his love for the balance of fantasy and SF in M&M. I guess he wanted a more familiar world with more appeal to the non hardcore consumers. Maybe for MMXI...

Arkeus

Arcane
I don't think he had a choice there. Ashan is ubisoft's baby.

Stabwound

Arcane
How can you call a sequel to one of the most dumbed down RPGs that makes Oblivion look like a great and complex game - a possible incline?

There's zero depth in M&M. It's just a Call of Duty of RPGs that was milked every year with shit non-existent gameplay.

qDC8k6k.png

Gozma

Arcane
I don't think he had a choice there. Ashan is ubisoft's baby.

Yeah, probably some directive from Ubi to concentrate all their fantasy games on building up a unified IP... over time it will probably work at least a little bit; people loved 1-2nd Edition Forgotten Realms and that was entirely because it was simply putting all generic D&D fantasy bullshit in the same stewpot. If I see Lord Shitknob in both MMX and in some other Ubi fantasy game in 3 years I will have a flicker of recognition.

Stabwound

Arcane
Why even bother hating shit trolls? This place is way too easy to troll. You either say good games are shit or shit games are good and step back while your 1 post ignites 5 pages of discussion.

And yeah the Ashan reboot of the MM world is shit generic but there's nothing we can do about that. I don't know why people are so scared to step out of the Tolkienian elves/dwarves/magic bullshit but it's really getting old, as in 10 years ago. I'm glad Torment is at least subverting that shit and hopefully Wasteland 2 won't be another generic post-apoc game. Even that's getting stale.

I do have a feeling there will be small references to Xeen/Sheltem/etc in MMX but nothing spectacular or important.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
people loved 1-2nd Edition Forgotten Realms and that was entirely because it was simply putting all generic D&D fantasy bullshit in the same stewpot.
More like people liked FR because it was a very detailed world compared to the other campaign settings.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
people loved 1-2nd Edition Forgotten Realms and that was entirely because it was simply putting all generic D&D fantasy bullshit in the same stewpot.
More like people liked FR because it was a very detailed world compared to the other campaign settings.

FR may be a generic campaign world, but in most of the Gold Box games you get a distinct feel that the area you explore is but a small part of a greater whole.
Krynn/Dragonlance was a bit more original, and the Krynn GB games had better mechanics/more choices, but the world felt much smaller.
And in games with original settings the game world usually feels even smaller, and invariably revolved around saving the whole world from yet-another-evil-guy-who-has-amassed-an-invincible-army-and-is-sitting-in-a-dungeon-waiting-for-the-chosen-ones-to-find-the-four-artifacts-that-can-kill-him.

EDIT: one problem with FR is that despite it being a huge world, with many excotic locales, it's nearly always the generic Sword Coast/Moonsea area that is used.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I hope Might&MagiX :P offers some replayability value (especially because it's 25hours only). I keep digging out Wizardry 8 again and again instead of all these other titles like DA, NWN, TEST etc. and have yet to find a title, that delivers an equal worthy package. I'd favor a Wizardry successor anytime :(

Dorateen

Arcane
I wonder if the developers (Limbic Entertainment) are keeping one eye on crowdfunding for a future project, seeing as what folks like Obsidian were able to accomplish.

It's one thing for a group to try to kickstart a concept like "we're doing a Might & Magic game!" But if the developers can actually produce a MMX and then point to it in an effort raise funds for a next title, maybe that's the way for them to create a MMXI on a larger scale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom