Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Gozma

Arcane
I hope Might&MagiX :P offers some replayability value (especially because it's 25hours only). I keep digging out Wizardry 8 again and again instead of all these other titles like DA, NWN, TEST etc. and have yet to find a title, that delivers an equal worthy package. I'd favor a Wizardry successor anytime :(

M&M games generally produce one - one-and-a-half good runs, the first one where you learn where all the super power boosts are by exploration, following the obvious power curve (more or less), and note-taking and a second where you see how quick you can abuse the shit out of it and "sequence break" (to the extent that has meaning in games that are as nonlinear as M&M) once you know everything.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
M&M games generally produce one - one-and-a-half good runs, the first one where you learn where all the super power boosts are by exploration, following the obvious power curve (more or less), and note-taking and a second where you see how quick you can abuse the shit out of it and "sequence break" (to the extent that has meaning in games that are as nonlinear as M&M) once you know everything.
Isn't this true for most (note: not ALL) RPGs?

Gozma

Arcane
I guess it's a matter of scale and non-linearity. For example, you can get the best treasure I can think of in the game in MM2 within ten minutes of starting a new game with the default party at level 1 once you have acquired a lot of map/general information mastery from a "normal" playthrough. A second playthrough in a less M&Mish rpg is generally just the same game, again.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess it's a matter of scale and non-linearity. For example, you can get the best treasure I can think of in the game in MM2 within ten minutes of starting a new game with the default party at level 1 once you have acquired a lot of map/general information mastery from a "normal" playthrough.

How?

Gozma

Arcane
Get a little gold (I do one green ticket fight in Middlegate, then one green ticket fight in the last town using the +100 stat fountain near there), then get the mage hireling in Volcano town. She starts at level 3 and can cast beacon and levitation; use her to get into Gemmaker volcano and get the free fire sword (keeping disposition at the lowest), which is worth like 30k. After selling that you can buy the fly item and mountaineering/pathfinding and go anywhere - including getting up to level 20 and 100 stats at unguarded fountains, and then using that to get into the level 50/200 stats fountain. There is also the really lame exploit of using skill potions, but it's too obvious to be fun.

Can you tell I started replaying it off M&MX hype?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
When will people learn that bigger surface doesn't mean bigger gameplay so that they can stop using this argument?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
When will people learn that bigger surface doesn't mean bigger gameplay so that they can stop using this argument?
When the universe unravels and basic geometry no longer functions? If the overworld map was a 3x3 grid it'd obviously be a smaller game. Having at least a comparable map size is important, and having a larger one is a good sign. Obviously they could make them all blank tiles, but they could do that with a smaller map too. At least with a larger map there is potential for more content.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
A very good developer could do wonders in a 16x16 gameworld. A crappy one could make a short game out of a 600x600. Was Daggerfall a lengthier game than Morrowind ? Random generation aside ? If the game world is bigger than Xeen yet the enemies are weaker, the fights are easier, and there are less puzzles and more traveling, we aren't necessarly getting the better deal.

Stabwound

Arcane
Xeen was "big" but the entire overland map was a grid without walls of any kind (okay, water and mountains but you can train those easily plus levitate). I like grid-based blobbers but the near-complete lack of any kind of walls was kind of a downer to me. Yeah yeah there are the clouds parts and lava and shit but that's a very small part.

The overland of Xeen wasn't really important, it was the dungeons and towns.

Damned Registrations

And a very good developer could do greater wonders in a 600x600 gameworld, while a crappy one could turn a 16x16 game world into a piece of crap with 3 identical dungeons. What is your fucking point? What next, argue that having more than one party member isn't a good thing because hey, maybe they'll make it suck anyways? More than one equipment slot bad too? More than one playable race or class?

Having room to make a big game is better than not having that room. Imagine how much shittier daggerfall would be if it used the same method of dungeon generation but only had 1/400th of the surface area.

Damned Registrations

Xeen was "big" but the entire overland map was a grid without walls of any kind (okay, water and mountains but you can train those easily plus levitate). I like grid-based blobbers but the near-complete lack of any kind of walls was kind of a downer to me. Yeah yeah there are the clouds parts and lava and shit but that's a very small part.

The overland of Xeen wasn't really important, it was the dungeons and towns.

Walls became kind of irrelevant anyways once you got access to teleport. You're right about the dungeons and towns being what matters though. They mentioned 20 dungeons, which sounds about right. I'm concerned that they'll end up being copy-pasta to save money with the 3D graphics though. Just gotta cross our fingers and hope they remember the things that made the old games cool, crawling through unexplored territory and dunking your pansy ass elf into a vat of bubbling green liquid and having your entire party get cursed, aged, and insanified by enemies and traps you've never seen before.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bleh, more good information, especially;

"CH: M&M fans love modding. Will this be possible? What can you tell us about it?
Answer: Alright, about modding: We plan to release an editor for Might & Magic X. On top modders will get access to almost everything in the game from level building, adding objects, changing textures, adding monsters, modifying values, creating texts, etc.
Will it be super easy? No. Why? It's a tool, it takes time and it takes dedication. It's 90% the same tools we are using to create the game right now. We are optimizing to make it as accessible as we can but it's not a "one-button-create-fun" solution. Nevertheless, we are confident that we will see user created content for Legacy.We'll talk about and introduce to you this particular topic in more details later during the development."

Where is this world going!?!

Zeriel

Arcane
WHAT IS THIS. My brand new tailored dress pants are ruined.

Duraframe300

Arcane

"CH: M&M fans love modding. Will this be possible? What can you tell us about it?
Answer: Alright, about modding: We plan to release an editor for Might & Magic X. On top modders will get access to almost everything in the game from level building, adding objects, changing textures, adding monsters, modifying values, creating texts, etc.
Will it be super easy? No. Why? It's a tool, it takes time and it takes dedication. It's 90% the same tools we are using to create the game right now. We are optimizing to make it as accessible as we can but it's not a "one-button-create-fun" solution. Nevertheless, we are confident that we will see user created content for Legacy.We'll talk about and introduce to you this particular topic in more details later during the development."

REVENGE OF THE INCLINE

Luzur

Good Sir

REVENGE OF THE INCLINE

*suddenly sees Might and Magic 1-2 remakes all over the place*

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
J_C Your friend Matt should interview these guys.
I don't know, these guys making the game basicly work under Ubisoft. I don't think they have permission to just make an interview on Youtube.

J_C Your friend Matt should interview these guys.

Both Matts should at once... The Matt n' Matt Chat.
With my english, it would be rather painful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom