Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Zeriel

Arcane
I really like the art style of the 2D pieces. The terrain bits that seem to be new to Legacy (in the ingame screenshots) also look pretty decent.

Luzur

Good Sir
zoom-might-and-magic-x-legacy-ME3050129637_2.jpg

Previous pictures in higher resolution here: http://www.gamekult.com/actu/zoom-might-and-magic-x-legacy-A108359.html

box cover?

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
Fuck. As much as I try to keep myself from being excited about this game... This shit looks better and better. Cautiously optimistic.

norolim

Arcane
A few first looks in several languages:

GRY-Online [Polish]
  • they complain that the demo was short, shallow and way too easy: the party was powered up, so most enemies could be killed with a single ranged attack;
  • equipable armour includes breast-plates, helmets and gauntlets;
  • ranged weapons vary in terms of max. range;
  • currently can't flee from battle;
  • critical hits are calculated for every attack type separately, e.g. a mage in the demo had 100% chance with a sword, but only 20% with a magic attack;
  • all characters have more than a dozen skills to improve; they vary depending on race;
  • a mage can learn all magic schools; a rogue has access to only two;
  • you are free to go where you want in the wilderness (some journalists on other sites claimed exactly the opposite);
  • they mentioned the world is supposed to be huge;
  • dungeons are much less claustrophobic, than in Grimrock;
  • graphics will improve before release, according to the developers.
gram.pl [Polish]- this "jurnalist" starts by saying that M&MX is shit because it's more like Xeen, and not like the more recent games in the series...I didn't read the rest obviously.
Spong [English]
ComputerBase [German]
games.de [German]

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, what? It's not actually turn-based?

Combat is done in real time, but is ultimately turn based with all combat actions having a cool down before being able to be used again.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Didn't they say the "demo" was not balanced (the characters were already high level)? Also I assume the not turn based is just a mistranslation. The official site specifically states turn-based battles.

It's probably just stupid Professional Gaming Journalists™ who have never played a cRPG before getting facts wrong.

Falkner

Thread Decliner
Patron
Wasteland 2
Wait, what? It's not actually turn-based?

Combat is done in real time, but is ultimately turn based with all combat actions having a cool down before being able to be used again.
I hope this is just a false impresion of a moron...I realy hope so.
Considering he thinks that cooldowns turn real time combat into TB, he probably IS a moron.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Didn't they say the "demo" was not balanced (the characters were already high level)? Also I assume the not turn based is just a mistranslation. The official site specifically states turn-based battles.

It's probably just stupid Professional Gaming Journalists™ who have never played a cRPG before getting facts wrong.
Yep. In the Spong article the guy kept referring to World of Xeen as Might and Magic 5 & 6. :lol:

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Given how the other previews mention turn-based, I suspect that real time guy is a moron.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can anybody find a non-retarded preview in English? FFS I don't wanna newspost this crap

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
  • they complain that the demo was short, shallow and way too easy: the party was powered up, so most enemies could be killed with a single ranged attack;
I hope Limbic sees these complaints and doesn't compromise on the difficulty in the finished product.
  • equipable armour includes breast-plates, helmets and gauntlets;
I hope "includes" means "not limited to"...
  • ranged weapons vary in terms of max. range;
:incline:
  • currently can't flee from battle;
It never worked in MM1 either, so I see this as a good back-to-the-roots :smug:
  • critical hits are calculated for every attack type separately, e.g. a mage in the demo had 100% chance with a sword, but only 20% with a magic attack;
That's... weird, shouldn't it have been the other way round?
  • all characters have more than a dozen skills to improve; they vary depending on race;
But not class?
  • a mage can learn all magic schools; a rogue has access to only two;
That's a bit decline... does this mean no more distinction between cleric and mage magic?
  • you are free to go where you want in the wilderness (some journalists on other sites claimed exactly the opposite);
  • they mentioned the world is supposed to be huge;
Sounds good.
  • dungeons are much less claustrophobic, than in Grimrock;
Does this mean they're small? that'd be a shame, MM5's were pretty expansive.
  • graphics will improve before release, according to the developers.
Couldn't care less, but it'll make some people happy.

Zeriel

Arcane
This game is endlessly entertaining already, if only for the previews. Apparently it's been so long since there was an RPG of this sort that journalists don't even know what "turn based" means. It reminds me of talking to my three-year-old nephew. He's gesticulating wildly at the ceiling. "Moke feffetor! Moke feffetor!" Three hours later, we discover he wants to turn the smoke detector on and off. Why? Because it beeps! POP THAT MOLE, DAMNIT.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom