Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14014

well i am the local Codex agent so i kinda have first views of these things.
wink.gif

also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.

Okay, which one of you is this? :M

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14014

well i am the local Codex agent so i kinda have first views of these things.
wink.gif

also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.

Okay, which one of you is this? :M
Luzur?

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Some early impressions in glorious language of mighty potatoes, declared as based on author's gameplay of beta build. Summary of the most important points for non-Polish Codexers:
  • General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."
  • MMIX is most similar to Xeen-era dungeon crawler
  • Movement is very limited, you can move only on designed paths. Even if you are in large cave, you cannot move towards the walls, you just move on the "rails" through the middle of the cave. There is no 2D net to move, just predefined path.
  • Comaparision to Legend of Grimrock: LoG does everything 1000x better and even looks better (logrus: I cannot imagine that combat is worse than in LoG, TB >>>>> waltz simulator)
  • Author did not not encounter any logical puzzles (logrus: maybe his gameplay was too short to encounter one, AFAIR puzzles have been already announced?)
  • Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)​
  • Character development is gimped, you decide only about the skills development, the rest is advanced automatically, this auto advancement is based on race and class (logrus: :decline: )
  • Fighting is in turns, whole turn for the party (one action for each member), then the same for the mobs
  • Author is not impressed with the graphics, but says the graphics is "not ugly, but rather simple", it has the HoM&M "fabulous" feel
  • It's not the final build, game designers collect the remarks, lot of them after PAX and plan to make some changes in the next builds (author hopes that next builds will be vastly improved)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Haha, I knew something was fishy about that game. Surprised the Codex was so enthusiastic about it before any real details were known. I won't get my hopes up.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I wonder if the guys at ubisoft are thinking: "Hey, the Codex loves our game, we are pretty fucking awesome. Can you make an RPG Codex approved role playing game EA? Can you Activision? Fuck those losers!" :lol:

Edit: Potatoes gonna potatoe. The game is looking to be an incline, I won't bitch about it, just because an uneducated potatoe "journalist" says something bad about it.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."

Which, if you ask me, is the prime warning signal that the previewer might be a moron. There is no such thing as 'worse than MMIX'. It's the lowest of the low. You couldn't make something worse than that even if you actively sought to do that.

I'd rather wait for gameplay footage or reports from confirmed non-moron sources.

Zeriel

Arcane
  • Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)

Stopped reading right there, Kings Bounty actually had some pretty great dialogues by majestic standard of modern gaming. Some people just have different (read: wrong trololololol) tastes, someone's bound to hate it like this at some point.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
There's always a possibility the game might suck, of course, but these previews are just weird. Fucking games journalism.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some early impressions in glorious language of mighty potatoes, declared as based on author's gameplay of beta build. Summary of the most important points for non-Polish Codexers:
  • General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."
  • Movement is very limited, you can move only on designed paths. Even if you are in large cave, you cannot move towards the walls, you just move on the "rails" through the middle of the cave. There is no 2D net to move, just predefined path.
  • Comaparision to Legend of Grimrock: LoG does everything 1000x better and even looks better (logrus: I cannot imagine that combat is worse than in LoG, TB >>>>> waltz simulator)
  • Author did not not encounter any logical puzzles (logrus: maybe his gameplay was too short to encounter one, AFAIR puzzles have been already announced?)
  • Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)​
  • Character development is gimped, you decide only about the skills development, the rest is advanced automatically, this auto advancement is based on race and class (logrus: :decline: )
  • Fighting is in turns, whole turn for the party (one action for each member), then the same for the mobs
  • Author is not impressed with the graphics, but says the graphics is "not ugly, but rather simple", it has the HoM&M "fabulous" feel
  • It's not the final build, game designers collect the remarks, lot of them after PAX and plan to make some changes in the next builds (author hopes that next builds will be vastly improved)

That's the retarded review norolim mentioned earlier.

artakserkso

Educated
It's actually worse than copy-paste, it's trying to hide that fact by minor alterations.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
This part seems to be new, though:

Q: How do you control your heroes in a combat? As a whole, or individually?

A: We tested different systems. At first, we reproduced the combat system found in World of Xeen, meaning ranged actions are made by the whole party, and it breaks down into individual actions when in melee combat. This is the system found in the current demos.

After playing the PAX demo several times, we noticed the “World of Xeen” system felt weird and didn’t allow us to micro-manage our party. So we started thinking about switching it to individual actions, all the time.

Finally during PAX, a lot of players that tried the demo found this system confusing (even veterans of the old Might & Magic games), so we’re confident we should proceed with this change.

"Veterans" my ass.

Gord

Arcane
The fuck?

So, either this Rainier is one of Crooked Bee's alts or it's truly great journalism* at work here...
:bravo:

*Of course it might be that they send out pre-fabricated answers and Worthplaying really likes playing Jepoardy...

Edit:

Infinitron said:
(it was a fake interview)

:hearnoevil:

escom

Learned
  • Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)

From another person from ubisoft forum http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...e-surfaced?s=fab38103a88a03db2abd3de20ad12ef7

http://www.gram.pl/artykul/2013/04/1...grali-my.shtml
http://www.gry-online.pl/S022.asp?ID=8914

"Here's a short summary:

- there's no freedom of exploration, the demo was extremely linear, pushing you down a single path
- all the areas were very, very small, leaving no room to maneuver even
- the game shamelessly creates an illusion of free movement within a given space, the grid your movement is restricted to doesn't match the layout of a level, meaning: there's an abundance of invisible walls;
outdoor areas or larger dungeon rooms make it look like you should be able to walk up to walls or foliage (or enter a small cave) without any problems, but the aformentioned invisible walls prevent you from doing that - according to these previews, it makes no sense. As a result, because of these restrictions, all the environments feel like movie sets instead of areas you can actually explore.
- no puzzles in the demo
- there's "hardly any roleplaying": you cannot engage in conversations with NPCs, merely read/hear a few words they have to say
- character development is extremely limited, the only thing you can manually alter when levelling up are the skills, everything else is done automatically based on your class
- the graphics, while "charming", aren't as good as in Legend of Grimrock
- they didn't like the fact you cannot freely choose a class for each race
- too easy & short, leaves a mediocre impression overall (they claim Legend of Grimrock did everything better)

Well, according to the recent Q&As and interviews, some of these flaws are a result of the demo being... well, a demo for the press, an unfinished build or conscious design decisions... but still, certain things like the grid layout being pretty limited and resulting with invisible walls ("I should be able to walk up to this wall or enter this cave, but I can't, because the grid feels so arbitrary") sounds very worrying."

Most of the complaints sounds stupid.

Angthoron

Arcane
Ha, classy. Plagiarism lawsuit inc?!

It is possible that the developers themselves just copy-pasted their answers to us. Possibly the questions as well (it was a fake interview)
Lame. Then again, if they had to answer to press with fresh answers, they'd have much less time to program.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom