Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I just read from a google translated french page: http://www.jeuxvideopc.com/articles/3273-presentation-might-and-magic-x-legacy/

- In terms of life, Might and Magic X s should extend over fifteen hours of play
- Might and Magic X should come at the end of year on PC with a fixed price of around 20 euros.
- Cities, temples and armories are in the form of static screens

Although I'm afraid some people may find this too short, it sounds O.K. for me. I am not so happy about the static screens instead of real cities/temples/shops... damn, this game is budgetized deluxe...

But somehow awesome again. It's exactly the game I would have made myself, if I had no budget and needed to everything to reduce cost:
- unified item slots
- premade 3d models and animations
- no visible weapons/armor, only the 2d icons exist
- loot from chests only displayed as text

I guess I'll buy it just for the sake of seeing how well such a game can work out.

Zeriel

Arcane
If the modding tools aren't garbage... well, people having access to a turn-based tile-movement blobber engine ain't bad, way better than Grimrock in my book.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
And yeah, the static screens instead of cities: awesome, if you consider how much time you save by just not having to create all different kinds of houses, shops, churches, etc. and not needing to implement random people walking around, leading a life of their own. I mean the slogan "explore cities" sounds weird in this case as, as there is not much to "explore" on a static picture, but looking at it from an economic perspective it's awesome.

escom

Learned
"For me the biggest eye opener was how the team are open to having the game control via more than just mouse and keyboard, with options allowing for combined play with controllers and a more accessible on screen interface system that’s less reliant on loads of buttons. Whilst the interface wasn’t finalized according to creative director Erwan LeBreton, the nature of game is easy to pick up and play "
http://cramgaming.com/ubisoft-digital-day-games-impressions-6436/

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"For me the biggest eye opener was how the team are open to having the game control via more than just mouse and keyboard, with options allowing for combined play with controllers and a more accessible on screen interface system that’s less reliant on loads of buttons. Whilst the interface wasn’t finalized according to creative director Erwan LeBreton, the nature of game is easy to pick up and play "
http://cramgaming.com/ubisoft-digital-day-games-impressions-6436/
:decline: It's gonna play like shit on at least one of those devices and we all know which one that will be.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Might and Magic 3-5 had SNES ports that controlled almost identically to the PC version AFAIK. Might and Magic isn't so complex that it can't be ported to consoles.

Zeriel

Arcane
I was going to say. A linear up down left right movement scheme that tile-based blobbers have is actually already well suited to just about any controller.

A user named cat

Might and Magic 3-5 had SNES ports that controlled almost identically to the PC version AFAIK. Might and Magic isn't so complex that it can't be ported to consoles.
I recently played some Isles of Terra for TurboGrafx CD and it was perfectly fine, even with only two buttons. So yeah, not exactly rocket science to port a game like this and not derp it up.

Luzur

Good Sir
- In terms of life, Might and Magic X s should extend over fifteen hours of play

what, they cut the playtime from 25 to 15?

Although I'm afraid some people may find this too short, it sounds O.K. for me. I am not so happy about the static screens instead of real cities/temples/shops... damn, this game is budgetized deluxe...

wait, what? STATIC SCREENS?!

AMG

Arbiter

wait, what? STATIC SCREENS?!
This game is so oldschool i'm starting to think it is Shaker with changed title.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
This game is so oldschool i'm starting to think it is Shaker with changed title.

I can assure it's not the case, otherwise it had Sci-Fi elements in it, furries and a dick-sucking monster. Would have been awesome, if their back-to-the-future concept hadn't sucked so much.

Besides I also hope that the static screens apply for shops only and not entire cities, although I could imagine they implement it like Heroes of Might&Magic or Wizards&Warriors... Let's hope for more revealing news, as reviewers descriptions are often inaccurate.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Oh man, I must have overlooked this, posted 3 weeks ago already in here:

Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X; Ubisoft

There's a short preview of Might and Magic X Legacy at Strategy Informer, this time by someone who actually seems to know what he's talking about. Here's the gist of it:

For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location which have basic dialog options. Clicking on, say, the local alchemist brings up a rumor she heard (more or less a tooltip in the game I played), while another option opened up a basic trade screen for potions.​

Leaving the town places the player on what is essentially a giant square-grid map in which players move and turn step by step through the wilderness. If the player get too close to enemies, they become locked in combat.​

If they explicitely mention, that by leaving the town you are on a square grid map - it means, that within the town you don't have square grid map => ergo a static screen :?

Luzur

Good Sir
Oh man, I must have overlooked this, posted 3 weeks ago already in here:

Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X; Ubisoft

There's a short preview of Might and Magic X Legacy at Strategy Informer, this time by someone who actually seems to know what he's talking about. Here's the gist of it:

For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location which have basic dialog options. Clicking on, say, the local alchemist brings up a rumor she heard (more or less a tooltip in the game I played), while another option opened up a basic trade screen for potions.​

Leaving the town places the player on what is essentially a giant square-grid map in which players move and turn step by step through the wilderness. If the player get too close to enemies, they become locked in combat.​

If they explicitely mention, that by leaving the town you are on a square grid map - it means, that within the town you don't have square grid map => ergo a static screen :?

MM10 just took one step in the "im gonna pirate it" direction for me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Towns as static screens in a game almost solely focused on exploration? On top of the suddenly 15 hour running time and that this is apparantly developed for consoles as well (try playing VI-VIII with a controller...) this shit is starting to sound dodgy.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Towns as static screens in a game almost solely focused on exploration? On top of the suddenly 15 hour running time and that this is apparantly developed for consoles as well (try playing VI-VIII with a controller...) this shit is starting to sound dodgy.

Betrayal at Krondor also had great exploration. Just saying.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Betrayal at Krondor also had great exploration. Just saying.

I suppose. Didn't say it was shit yet, just that these details are pretty dodgy. For instance, finding trainers in cities are core M&M exploration, when some trainers are located in out-of-reach places. If finding a trainer is just about clicking on it on a static window, then what's the point?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom