Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
- there's "hardly any roleplaying": you cannot engage in conversations with NPCs, merely read/hear a few words they have to say

So it is like previous 9 M&M games?
Most of them sounds clueless tbh.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Some early impressions in glorious language of mighty potatoes, declared as based on author's gameplay of beta build. Summary of the most important points for non-Polish Codexers:
  • General summary of reviewer is "I doubt MMX is a glorious return of the series", last sentence form the review "I could not belive that it may be something worse than MMIX, now I'm afraid that such nightmare may come."
  • MMIX is most similar to Xeen-era dungeon crawler
  • Movement is very limited, you can move only on designed paths. Even if you are in large cave, you cannot move towards the walls, you just move on the "rails" through the middle of the cave. There is no 2D net to move, just predefined path.
  • Comaparision to Legend of Grimrock: LoG does everything 1000x better and even looks better (logrus: I cannot imagine that combat is worse than in LoG, TB >>>>> waltz simulator)
  • Author did not not encounter any logical puzzles (logrus: maybe his gameplay was too short to encounter one, AFAIR puzzles have been already announced?)
  • Author notices that game designers announced that MMX should have some decent story beyond simple dungeon crawler, but he founds the dialogs to be very shallow (compares them to Kings of Bounty as having similar level of complexity simplicity)
  • Character development is gimped, you decide only about the skills development, the rest is advanced automatically, this auto advancement is based on race and class (logrus: :decline: )
  • Fighting is in turns, whole turn for the party (one action for each member), then the same for the mobs
  • Author is not impressed with the graphics, but says the graphics is "not ugly, but rather simple", it has the HoM&M "fabulous" feel
  • It's not the final build, game designers collect the remarks, lot of them after PAX and plan to make some changes in the next builds (author hopes that next builds will be vastly improved)

From another person from ubisoft forum http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...e-surfaced?s=fab38103a88a03db2abd3de20ad12ef7

http://www.gram.pl/artykul/2013/04/1...grali-my.shtml
http://www.gry-online.pl/S022.asp?ID=8914

"Here's a short summary:

- there's no freedom of exploration, the demo was extremely linear, pushing you down a single path
- all the areas were very, very small, leaving no room to maneuver even
- the game shamelessly creates an illusion of free movement within a given space, the grid your movement is restricted to doesn't match the layout of a level, meaning: there's an abundance of invisible walls;
outdoor areas or larger dungeon rooms make it look like you should be able to walk up to walls or foliage (or enter a small cave) without any problems, but the aformentioned invisible walls prevent you from doing that - according to these previews, it makes no sense. As a result, because of these restrictions, all the environments feel like movie sets instead of areas you can actually explore.
- no puzzles in the demo
- there's "hardly any roleplaying": you cannot engage in conversations with NPCs, merely read/hear a few words they have to say
- character development is extremely limited, the only thing you can manually alter when levelling up are the skills, everything else is done automatically based on your class
- the graphics, while "charming", aren't as good as in Legend of Grimrock
- they didn't like the fact you cannot freely choose a class for each race
- too easy & short, leaves a mediocre impression overall (they claim Legend of Grimrock did everything better)

Well, according to the recent Q&As and interviews, some of these flaws are a result of the demo being... well, a demo for the press, an unfinished build or conscious design decisions... but still, certain things like the grid layout being pretty limited and resulting with invisible walls ("I should be able to walk up to this wall or enter this cave, but I can't, because the grid feels so arbitrary") sounds very worrying."

Most of the complaints sounds stupid.
You are quoting the same thing and the same source FFS! :x

So it is like previous 9 M&M games?
Most of them sounds clueless tbh.
It is amazing that in this new age of game journalism, when it comes to decade old franchises (IE games, Thief, M&M) these retards don't know about the old games, what kind of games they were, what made them special etc.

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

norolim

Arcane
You are quoting the same thing and the same source FFS! :x

It is amazing that in this new age of game journalism, when it comes to decade old franchises (IE games, Thief, M&M) these retards don't know about the old games, what kind of games they were, what made them special etc.
Yes, both this and the previous quote is from the first look I linked but didn't summarise, because it wasn't too good.

How many schools are there?

Seven, according to this: Fire, Water, Air, Earth, Light, Dark and Primordial

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
If I recall correctly, there were never many spells per school of magic in these games, but 8 seems a bit too few...

Hobz

Savant
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And World of Xeen had about a hundred IIRC. I hope there'll be some room left for spells other than straight-forward damage dealing ones.

Luzur

Good Sir
http://www.celestialheavens.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14014

well i am the local Codex agent so i kinda have first views of these things.
wink.gif

also, its not official yet and i dont even know if i get invited at all, but i have been applicated to Ubisofts Might and Magic X VIP forums by Crooked Bee along with 4 others as representatives of the Codex's Might and Magic fans, so i'll have even further insights into this game, if all goes well.

Okay, which one of you is this? :M

i thought that fact was widely known by now, as i have mentioned it? +M

Someone who doesn't use a shift.

dont care much for that.

Luzur and Borin81 are both Swedish...

yep, one of my old (second one actually, forgot the password for my first ever "Boring80" so i made a new one "Boring81" but forgot the g) reopened hotmail accounts.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I'm jealous Luzur. Crooked Bee didn't even think of me... :(

even i didnt know that you are a MM fan?
Yeah, I guess I'm not as vocal as others around here. I suppose my collecting of these classics seems to be more for what I'm known for than actually playing them... unfortunately. Either way, I am very much looking forward to your impressions of the game. I know the NDA will keep you from talking specifics but I hope you give them solid suggestions and feedback.

Luzur

Good Sir

I'm jealous Luzur. Crooked Bee didn't even think of me... :(

even i didnt know that you are a MM fan?
Yeah, I guess I'm not as vocal as others around here. I suppose my collecting of these classics seems to be more for what I'm known for than actually playing them... unfortunately. Either way, I am very much looking forward to your impressions of the game. I know the NDA will keep you from talking specifics but I hope you give them solid suggestions and feedback.

well Sceptic is on the SPEC OPS team too that the Codex have assembled.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Obviously being stuck on a Disneyland rail, if true, is going to ruin this game making it utterly pointless to play. What the hell is the consensus on this? Yes? No?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Obviously being stuck on a Disneyland rail, if true, is going to ruin this game making it utterly pointless to play. What the hell is the consensus on this? Yes? No?

The consensus is that : x cannot into demos and grid-based RPGs.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I would :rage: knowing that the demo was restricted to rails only far less than I
would :rage: if I found out the whole game will be like that, but I am
:rage:'ing nonetheless simply for not knowing which is true.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
Take one thing in mind though, sons of codexia, saying that 'it's just the first island that's a railroaded tutorial!!!' before you see that everything is a railroaded tutorial is a very convenient excuse. It was the same story in Risen 2 and we know how well that ended up.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Meh, all I see from these previews is retards with little to no knowledge of the series trying to grasp at straws. Comparing an alpha demo unfavorably to a full game like Legend of Grimrock is just stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom