Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Probably the hidden trainers won't be in towns.

But yeah these previews are all remarkably shitty.

BTW Luzur, I wouldn't talk about piracy if I were you. Ubisoft might examine your post history to determine if you should be allowed into their private forum.

Luzur

Good Sir
BTW Luzur, I wouldn't talk about piracy if I were you. Ubisoft might examine your post history to determine if you should be allowed into their private forum.

LOL in that case they might find much, much worse stuff i posted then that, MUCH worse.

otherwise you could just guide them to that Collection thread we have somewhere and have them look on how loyal i am to Might and Magic, if they feel that threatened.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh man, I must have overlooked this, posted 3 weeks ago already in here:

Tags: Limbic Entertainment; Might & Magic X; Ubisoft

There's a short preview of Might and Magic X Legacy at Strategy Informer, this time by someone who actually seems to know what he's talking about. Here's the gist of it:

For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location which have basic dialog options. Clicking on, say, the local alchemist brings up a rumor she heard (more or less a tooltip in the game I played), while another option opened up a basic trade screen for potions.​

Leaving the town places the player on what is essentially a giant square-grid map in which players move and turn step by step through the wilderness. If the player get too close to enemies, they become locked in combat.​

If they explicitely mention, that by leaving the town you are on a square grid map - it means, that within the town you don't have square grid map => ergo a static screen :?

MM10 just took one step in the "im gonna pirate it" direction for me.

Why? That's basically identical to every other MM game. It's amazing seeing people complain over and over in this thread about "decline" that is just things that are either harkening back to earlier games (every shop being a static screen which, by the way, looked very good because it was pre-rendered), or being a minor alteration of them (if literally the whole town is a static screen, which I still don't mind, since it will probably be some quite nice art).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Damn that is a shame with cities being just a static screen. They probably had to make that decision due to the budget of the game, and only do exterior art for the overland and dungeons.

Capitalism

Educated
Damn that is a shame with cities being just a static screen. They probably had to make that decision due to the budget of the game, and only do exterior art for the overland and dungeons.
I hope that this is a demo only, because as JVC shown them in M&M1, you can create a city in 16x16 grid if you want. And I don't think that this game will have too much cities.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You need to think about all the different art they have to spend time on creating (buildings, waterfalls and other "city" art).

Abraxas

Scholar
Patron
Codex 2012 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2

There's a short preview of Might and Magic X Legacy at Strategy Informer, this time by someone who actually seems to know what he's talking about. Here's the gist of it:

For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location which have basic dialog options. Clicking on, say, the local alchemist brings up a rumor she heard (more or less a tooltip in the game I played), while another option opened up a basic trade screen for potions.​

Leaving the town places the player on what is essentially a giant square-grid map in which players move and turn step by step through the wilderness. If the player get too close to enemies, they become locked in combat.​

They say towns are ONCE AGAIN static pictures of people at the location. Whole towns were never a static picture in M&M, so it could very well be another case of "LOL, OLD RPGs, HOW DO THEY WORK?" Or so I hope.:(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Well in theory Modders can fix it™, depending on how modder friendly assets are in the editor and data files. But that is a lot of art they are going to have to make.

Luzur

Good Sir

If they explicitely mention, that by leaving the town you are on a square grid map - it means, that within the town you don't have square grid map => ergo a static screen :?

MM10 just took one step in the "im gonna pirate it" direction for me.

Why? That's basically identical to every other MM game. It's amazing seeing people complain over and over in this thread about "decline" that is just things that are either harkening back to earlier games (every shop being a static screen which, by the way, looked very good because it was pre-rendered), or being a minor alteration of them (if literally the whole town is a static screen, which I still don't mind, since it will probably be some quite nice art).

it depends if they mean just the shop screen (which is classic MM) or the whole town is a big static screen (like in for example Phantasie), otherwise the game still have 4 steps left before going on the TPB list.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
Oh OK. I assumed those VIP forums would be up now. With all these (possible) inaccuracies being reported by Professional Gaming Journalists™ who have never played a cRPG before should be taken care of one would assume.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I asked Ubi to admit one or two of our own to the VIP forums and named some names, but so far they don't seem to have reached a decision about it. No Codexer is on the VIP forums (yet, at least).

Luzur

Good Sir
Can you ask them to clarify it on the VIP forum Luzur?

He's not on it yet (and at this rate I'm not sure he will be)

we'll see, nothing been heard at all yet, for any of the chosen ones.

and if im not chosen, its not gonna be the end of me (now, have this in mind, had this been a VIP forum made by NWC and had featured direct contact with Jon van Caneghem, THEN i would have been careful with what i said here, heck i would be so damn PC on this forum you would be forced to put me on the ignore list because i would annoy you so much.) and besides we have Sceptic on the list too.

otherwise the game still have 4 steps left before going on the TPB list.

... which 4 steps would that be? :troll:

i do it this way:

1= total shit, TPB or ignore totally.
5= neutral, will buy
10= will preorder, cosplay and get collectors edition.

now, if these "rumors" about static screen towns are just that, then it would return back to 5.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you should support swedish entrepreneurship Luzur: always TPB!

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
All my hopes and dreams for this game are suddenly crashing down. I should have known.

*pulls rope back out of drawer*

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location

I'm not a native english speaker, but if I understand correctly, this means that in the towns there are shops, which are shown as static pictures. Like in every M&M game. What's so hard do comprehend?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Agreed with J_C; decline of ReadingComprehensionCodex. :rpgcodex:

I'd say it's almost guaranteed that towns are going to be just like the old games. The "once again" part gives it away.

Luzur

Good Sir
For one, towns are once again static pictures of people at the location

I'm not a native english speaker, but if I understand correctly, this means that in the towns there are shops, which are shown as static pictures. Like in every M&M game. What's so hard do comprehend?

hmm, now that you mentioned it, looks like you are right, i read it as "towns are once again static pictures of people at the locations" as in "big town pic with clickable locations ala Phantasie." but was that ever changed in any of the later games?

ok, its back to 5 then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom