Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Found a new article from http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/20...gic-x-legacy-wiederbelebung-einer-rpg-groesse

Kreuzt man den Weg einer Stadt oder anderen Siedlung, wird diese immer als eine Art übergroße Puppenhaus-Version ihrer selbst dargestellt. Betretet Miniatur und ihr wechselt in den voll interaktiven "Stadt-Dungeon". Ganz wie man es von der Serie gewohnt ist, wenn man sie seit Anfang der Neunziger kennt.

Which basically means:
If you cross a town or village it will be shown as an oversized "doll house"-version of itself. Entering the "miniature" you'll get into the fully interactive city-dungeon.

Ok, that means they don't show a picture, but obviously a 3d town-model which represents the city (I always wondered how a 2D static picture would fit into the landscape, but a 3d model explains it). And the town has its own grid then where you can move around.

(PS: interesting, that every previewer has another important detail of information...)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah. Then send out all these demo's to people who don't even know what the fuck a cRPG is. We could provide the only actual preview of this with real information.

Xenich

Cipher
Yeah. Then send out all these demo's to people who don't even know what the fuck a cRPG is. We could provide the only actual preview of this with real information.

Maybe that is the point. An honest and insightful review is probably something they are dreading, better to hype the game, get a bunch of hopeful idiots to buy it and then deal with the post sale backlash. No refunds of course. Maybe not, maybe I am just too much of a cynic. /shrug

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Found a new article from http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/20...gic-x-legacy-wiederbelebung-einer-rpg-groesse

Kreuzt man den Weg einer Stadt oder anderen Siedlung, wird diese immer als eine Art übergroße Puppenhaus-Version ihrer selbst dargestellt. Betretet Miniatur und ihr wechselt in den voll interaktiven "Stadt-Dungeon". Ganz wie man es von der Serie gewohnt ist, wenn man sie seit Anfang der Neunziger kennt.

Which basically means:
If you cross a town or village it will be shown as an oversized "doll house"-version of itself. Entering the "miniature" you'll get into the fully interactive city-dungeon.

Ok, that means they don't show a picture, but obviously a 3d town-model which represents the city (I always wondered how a 2D static picture would fit into the landscape, but a 3d model explains it). And the town has its own grid then where you can move around.

(PS: interesting, that every previewer has another important detail of information...)
I love it when I'm right. :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
They really need to find some non-shitty previewers. For example, US! :rpgcodex:

Yup, the ineptitude of other preview-sites astound me. Give us a preview-copy, ASAP. I'm by no means an M&M-expert, but I could damn well do a finer job that these gentlemen.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Which basically means:

That sounds much better. I could live with that.

Are there any blurbs about the supposed "on-rails" aspect of the game? Has that rumor been completely put to bed?

Luzur

Good Sir

Which basically means:

oh thank god.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
"on rails" is very probably tardspeak for step-based movement.

I understand that we're very much in assumption mode in terms of the horrible writing of those previews, but it was made pretty clear that there is no stepping off the path when in dungeons and so forth. Unless we're talking about a purposefully-railroaded tutorial only, this is still a potential dealbreaker for me. I wish we could get clarification one way or the other.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Crispy: if by "on-rails" walking on premade lines is meant (such as in a railshooter), that has already been debunked everywhere and that the movement is not limited to a single "path" (such as could have been misinterpreted from the demo). It doesn't exclude that areas can still be narrow leaving not much place for exploration though. But in the demo you could have actually stepped out into the grass.

Yeah, the way they implement cities sounds fine to me as well. It also fits to how the HoMM series handles entering towns. Makes somehow a consistent picture over the M&M Universe.
Still burning to see some new gameplay footage...

narupley

Scholar
"on rails" is very probably tardspeak for step-based movement.

I understand that we're very much in assumption mode in terms of the horrible writing of those previews, but it was made pretty clear that there is no stepping off the path when in dungeons and so forth. Unless we're talking about a purposefully-railroaded tutorial only, this is still a potential dealbreaker for me. I wish we could get clarification one way or the other.

This has been mentioned before, but if you watch that one PAX gameplay demo, you can see six arrows in the bottom left of the HUD. Those appear to become enabled/disabled when the user is unable to move in that direction. Although the player in the video stays on the road, judging from the state of the arrow buttons while he's moving, he could have strayed from the path at any time. About 40 seconds in, he suddenly becomes unable to move anywhere, indicating that he's now locked in melee combat.

Now, dungeons so far are another story. In that same demo video, we see a short amount of very linear dungeon gameplay, but that wouldn't stop Limbic from creating vast, complex dungeons nonetheless. The "only around 20 dungeons in the entire game" fact is very worrisome though.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Eh, MM3 had 28 dungeons, and that's being very generous, including the towns and castles and pyramids. It only had 5 caverns and 8 standalone dungeons. 5 towns, and 5 castles, each with their 'dungeon' levels, but those were often fairly short/simple/tiny and I dunno if the devs would consider those actual dungeons. It also had the 5 pyramids.

If they have 20 dungeons like this: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/walkthrough/warachnoid.shtml

then shit will be totally fine. And they'll probably have some mini dungeons too that they didn't include in this count.

If they have 20 dungeons like this: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/walkthrough/wtown1c.shtml
then it will be totally shit, and there'll probably be like 10 actual dungeons that aren't just subfloors of a town or castle.

narupley

Scholar
Eh, MM3 had 28 dungeons, and that's being very generous, including the towns and castles and pyramids. It only had 5 caverns and 8 standalone dungeons. 5 towns, and 5 castles, each with their 'dungeon' levels, but those were often fairly short/simple/tiny and I dunno if the devs would consider those actual dungeons. It also had the 5 pyramids.

If they have 20 dungeons like this: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/walkthrough/warachnoid.shtml

then shit will be totally fine. And they'll probably have some mini dungeons too that they didn't include in this count.

If they have 20 dungeons like this: http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/pc/mm3/walkthrough/wtown1c.shtml
then it will be totally shit, and there'll probably be like 10 actual dungeons that aren't just subfloors of a town or castle.

Agreed, good points.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just the fact this game exists is incline ; I do not care if it's better or longer than the rest of the series. Right now, it's like we're restarting everything from scratch in the classic cRPG genre.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The monocled cat is right. This game is definitely incline.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Yeah, they (gamestar) can seriously fuck off with their subscription. From the description it doesn't look like we're missing anything but a boring dialogue. No new gameplay scenes.

Btw. there's also a new french review http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/might-and-magic-10/preview-test-might-and-magic-10.html but I had a very hard time understanding the computerised translation...

> They also say here that 15 hours is the main campagne and the 20/25 hours with all sidequests
> 60-70 types of enemies AND... if I understood that correctly: he added that each one of these archetypes can additionally have a slightly different look/size (which I find very cool, because many games "cheat" by only providing this amount of enemies with random variations from an archetype)
> that a horse as an extra party member can double your inventory size
> the game difficulty is adjustable in various degrees (not only the default easy/medium/hard but also manually point for point e.g.: enemy strength, food ratio, etc.)
> 3 big cities, various small villages
> 7 schools of magic, 6 base schools and 1 global which surpasses the others, with up to 10 spells each
> 23 dungeons (of which 3 are secrets)
> 4 regions which thematically are different (I'm guessing that climatic regions are meant by that...)
> there's also something in it which says, that the loot may be adjusted to your party, which means, that if you have a full warrior party you won't get much magician-drops

Vulcris

Novice
A short preview in French from JeuVideo.fr wich seemed to be made by a less retarded writer :
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/might-and-magic-10/preview-test-might-and-magic-10.html

some extracts :

One of the non-combatting henchmen is a horse which double the inventory size.

There is 60 to 70 different foes types. Each of them has different variations (ranged attack, increased resistance, renforced magic...) with a changing appearance.

When there is hand to hand combat, the player decide, in the order of his choice, what action to do for each member of his team.

Skills have a different maximum depending of the nature of the character : a wizard can't be an arm master but he can learn how to use swords. The warrior can learn to cast spells but he can't cast them at higher levels.

There will be 7 magic schools : 6 elementals and one global wich surpass the others. Each school offers up to 10 spells.

Items are gained in chests or randomly on slain foes, but the level of the slained creature and the place where treasure are found are taken in account to determni the item level. The more an item is difficult to get, the rarer and/or the more powerfull it is. Still, some items can't be used by every class. If you decide to create a group of warriors, the game should avoid to give you some wizard items.

The main quest doesn't offer the freedom of an Elder's Scroll, but it allow to cross 4 regions with different visual thematics, 23 dungeons (3 of them are secret), 3 main towns, and lots of little villages where one can buy or sell items, eat at the inn, buy some food (to avoir to die from hunger during a long travel). The lengh of the main quest should be 15 hours but if you add all the secondary quests, it should amount to 20/25 hours.

In addition of preset difficulties (easy, average and difficult), It is possible to personnalize the difficulty with some additionnal settings by activating or not several handicaps : stronger AI, more robusts ennemies, the weight of the inventory, hiding the lifebar of ennemies or ennemies critical hits able to destroy items.

It seems to answer a few questions. Especially concerning the confusion around towns. the 3 major towns seems to be like those in m&m 3-5 and the many villages seems to be static screens. Same the lengh of the game which seemed to be 15 or 25 hour depending of the previews we've seen previously. 15 is for the main quest and 25 is when you add all optional quests. Still, as i'm a slow player, it should be well enough for the money i'm gonna pay

edit : hehe I should have looked just before posting

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
That's ok. You must have scouted at the almost same time for news...... Soulbro? ;)

Stabwound

Arcane
Even if the game is mediocre, it's still going to be incline. A fucking Might & Magic 10 in the year 2013 and it's going from the classic feel. Fuck the haters, this is unbelievable.

narupley

Scholar
It seems to answer a few questions. Especially concerning the confusion around towns. the 3 major towns seems to be like those in m&m 3-5 and the many villages seems to be static screens. Same the lengh of the game which seemed to be 15 or 25 hour depending of the previews we've seen previously. 15 is for the main quest and 25 is when you add all optional quests. Still, as i'm a slow player, it should be well enough for the money i'm gonna pay

Can you quote the passage where it says that the 3 major towns are fully-interactive / explorable while the villages are static screens?

I still really wish that it was longer (15-25 hours is incredibly short for even shoestring RPGs), but hey, beggars can't be choosers.

Vulcris

Novice
Can you quote the passage where it says that the 3 major towns are fully-interactive / explorable while the villages are static screens?

It's not noted in the preview, just a deduction from me after reading all the previous contradictive previews written by next gen journalists. And I don't see the need to diferenciate towns from villages in that preview if they use the same systems in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom