Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Apparently the party moving all at once is ok, but the party shooting all at once is completely unintuitive. Go figure.

The English redcoats must be rather shocked to learn that. After all, we all know that they never made it the utter centre-piece of their drills to fire their muskets (and later their rifles) at the same time.

LOL yes, because all 10,000 or so men definitely shot all at the same time; it's not like they were arranged in ranks and cycled through taking turns shooting or anything. </derp>
Shut up newfag, we are talking about 4-5 people here. A team, not 10000.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
But now that you think of it, this is hardly a surprise. In this day and age, where dumbed down dating sims dominate the RPG market, "journalists" forgot how to write about real cRPGs. They have to look elsewhere. Somewhere where people know what is a good cRPG, they now their history. Obviously, we are these people.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But now that you think of it, this is hardly a surprise. In this day and age, where dumbed down dating sims dominate the RPG market, "journalists" forgot how to write about real cRPGs. They have to look elsewhere. Somewhere where people know what is a good cRPG, they now their history. Obviously, we are these people.

It's more likely that Ubisoft is the one copying their initial interview with us and feeding it to these sites. Ie, these are not really interviews, they're more like press releases.

lokus

Literate
Awww, I love how in Clouds of Xeen there's the little "dollhouses" as mentioned in this thread, as in small-sized houses or buildings which "represent" towns or cities when you go into them.
:love:

It's like on travel maps in Wasteland and Darklands the "little house" represents a town a city. I love that kind of abstraction, it's games realizing they are games and using the limitations to their advantage. More developers need to accept that you can't make a city in a video game which is as big as a real-life city, and instead use abstractions like that. I'm so sick of "realism" in games. Cities in CRPG's were never meant to be the real-thing, but just a representation of such

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

It's more likely that Ubisoft is the one copying their initial interview with us and feeding it to these sites. Ie, these are not really interviews, they're more like press releases.

I think this is really funny.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I think this is really funny.

This happens all the time in other media. I worked for my Uni's news blog and while requesting interviews with noted professors in their fields they mostly sent me interview transcripts they had already done with scientific publications.

narupley

Scholar
Journalism at its best...

Ubisoft said:
Dwarf Defenders always stands their ground.

They absorb the shock of powerful blows and deflect deadly arrows as if they were silmply swatting flies.

When the right moment comes, they know exactly when to step up and deliver a critical blows with their deadly axes.

Comment of the official forum

Indeed. Seriously, this looks like it was written by an elementary school student.

Dorateen

Arcane
It's like on travel maps in Wasteland and Darklands the "little house" represents a town a city. I love that kind of abstraction, it's games realizing they are games and using the limitations to their advantage. More developers need to accept that you can't make a city in a video game which is as big as a real-life city, and instead use abstractions like that. I'm so sick of "realism" in games. Cities in CRPG's were never meant to be the real-thing, but just a representation of such

Thank you. I always prefer some level of abstraction, and allowing the player to fill in the gaps with their imagination.

And good news about the Dwarven Defenders, as mentioned above. First time I will get to have played such in a Might & Magic game.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
That article does seem to be open to comments:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...bringing_back_old_school_rpging/#pcw-comments

Should we bomb Patrick Budmar
patrick-budmar-5469.jpg
with endless amounts of vitriol for daring to violate the sanctity of our prestigiousness? Er.. prestigiosity? ... prestigiocality?

Fuck.

Gozma

Arcane
I think they have got some kind of trisomy case doing the web and marketing stuff for this between cut and pasting interviews and copy editing

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
patrick-budmar-5469.jpg
with endless amounts of vitriol for daring to violate the sanctity of our prestigiousness? Er.. prestigiosity? ... prestigiocality?
No, but we should definitely bomb him with endless vitriol for saying that M&M was a "popular 3DO property".

Fucking newfags.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Yeah If WE could just get a fucking preview copy, we could finally tell you what it really is, with solid info.

That is such a fucking shame, people who don't know a single thing about what they are writing about.

Dorateen

Arcane
patrick-budmar-5469.jpg
No, but we should definitely bomb him

I like this better. What an insult to JVC and New World Computing from that "reporter".

Going through some of the older titles in the series, I hope we will get a really good death screen on total party wipes.

Crispy

I feel... young!
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Can someone remind me why we are back to fapping cautiously again?

It was mainly due to either misconstrued or even completely false information in those derped-up "previews". The possibility of the entire game being on a non-explorable rail (mostly, hopefully, debunked at this point) and the concept of cities and villages being nothing but static screens (more reliably debunked) being the worst two offenders.

There's also the unanswered questions of number of hours of gameplay, which has dropped from an early quoting of around 25 hours down to 15 (!). This last one I don't believe, either, and would probably require the former two to be true as well for it to be a fact.

Mortmal

Arcane

It was mainly due to either misconstrued or even completely false information in those derped-up "previews". The possibility of the entire game being on a non-explorable rail (mostly, hopefully, debunked at this point) and the concept of cities and villages being nothing but static screens (more reliably debunked) being the worst two offenders.

There's also the unanswered questions of number of hours of gameplay, which has dropped from an early quoting of around 25 hours down to 15 (!). This last one I don't believe, either, and would probably require the former two to be true as well for it to be a fact.

On the two french previews, they say its 15 hours for the main quest and 25 hours with side quests. Wich is quite miserable in my opinion, those games, and most old school rpgs were on a few 720ko floppy disks and lasting double than that easily. Nowaday i get hard drives of tera-octets , i wish rpgs had evolved and really use all the new hardware we have now. I suppose its incline, but really small incline, it pains me that we should consider ourselves happy when you can find games from 20 years ago like fate requiring a good 80 hours to finish with similar gameplay, maybe even better gameplay.
Also the "VIP" comments are sickingly postive :http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/migh...s.aspx?c=tcm:154-93317-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32
is there a codexer admitted there yet ? i highly doubt they will fit in.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

On the two french previews, they say its 15 hours for the main quest and 25 hours with side quests. Wich is quite miserable in my opinion, those games, and most old school rpgs were on a few 720ko floppy disks and lasting double than that easily. Nowaday i get hard drives of tera-octets , i wish rpgs had evolved and really use all the new hardware we have now. I suppose its incline, but really small incline, it pains me that we should consider ourselves happy when you can find games from 20 years ago like fate requiring a good 80 hours to finish with similar gameplay, maybe even better gameplay.
Also the "VIP" comments are sickingly postive :http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/migh...s.aspx?c=tcm:154-93317-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32
is there a codexer admitted there yet ? i highly doubt they will fit in.

You think they would have posted negative opinions on the front page of the game's official website?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom