Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Luzur

Good Sir

Gozma

Arcane
Reading it, seems like 3 youngish HoMM fans and one old M&M grognard fan that went to PAX. No new info, just a bunch of "Looks pretty good" talk.

Gozma

Arcane
There is a thread on Something Awful where people are trying to out-grog each other and calling this as equivalent to the X-Com FPS

RPG Codex being the most positive critical node about an upcoming Ubisoft game? It will happen in your lifetime folks

Dorateen

Arcane
I wonder why inventory size is something that will be desired to increase by choosing to bring along the horse. Sounds like there is lots of treasure to be found. Maybe just for the players who get aggrivated hiking/portaling back to town to sell stuff once the capacity is maxed out.

narupley

Scholar
I wonder why inventory size is something that will be desired to increase by choosing to bring along the horse. Sounds like there is lots of treasure to be found. Maybe just for the players who get aggrivated hiking/portaling back to town to sell stuff once the capacity is maxed out.

On the other hand it'll probably eat up one of your two NPC slots. Pros and cons there; I think it's a welcome addition personally!

Dorateen

Arcane
I'm allergic to horses. And I like inventory limits. But yes, the strategic elements it could introduce might well be interesting. I'm encouraged to see the developers thinking of different uses for the NPC slots.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh FFS.

ALL THE PARTY MEMBERS FIRING AT ONCE IS NOT A BUG. IT IS HOW MM3-5 WORKED. STOP SAYING IT'S A BUG. LIMBIC, DON'T YOU FUCKING CAVE IN AND CHANGE IT.

Otherwise the JeuxVideo preview looks good. I don't like the fact it seems Speed and it determining order of attack in melee is gone.

Loot is not adjusted by party, it's just the previewer asking for it to be like this because he's a next-gen retard (see complaint about ranged attacks firing all together).

Vulcris

Novice
Loot is not adjusted by party, it's just the previewer asking for it to be like this because he's a next-gen retard (see complaint about ranged attacks firing all together).

I just re-read the passage and you're right. I was a little to hurried to post the translation ;)

Luzur

Good Sir
Oh FFS.

ALL THE PARTY MEMBERS FIRING AT ONCE IS NOT A BUG. IT IS HOW MM3-5 WORKED. STOP SAYING IT'S A BUG. LIMBIC, DON'T YOU FUCKING CAVE IN AND CHANGE IT.

Otherwise the JeuxVideo preview looks good. I don't like the fact it seems Speed and it determining order of attack in melee is gone.

thats what you get when people forget the old games, a basic gameplay feature becomes a bug.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I misinterpreted the thing about loot as well, although I was not sure at that exact moment because it was written subjunctively. But then I thought of bad translation of google/bing (and it was really bad... I actually get better much results having languages like polish, romanian, swedish etc. translated).

I think it would be bad anyways if they adjust the loot to the party, because when you see different gear, which is superawesome, but none of your characters can wear it is something which offers a replay value. Also you'd never know such an item exists.

narupley

Scholar
Oh FFS.

-1, I vote AGAINST all party members firing at once. It's really a preferences thing; I prefer to have as much control as possible over the battle. At the very most, they could make it some sort of option you could toggle.

Gozma

Arcane
The point of mass shooting in M&M3-5 is instantly wiping out multiple much weaker enemies without fuss or tedium - if the enemy matters you use range to get a couple of spells off (you can only cast one spell per turn outside of melee). If they want to integrate shooting into real gameplay (which they invest enough into to make it worth wasting the time of taking a turn for every party member to "S"hoot or not) they should have weenie enemies evaporate when you look at them or something to replace it.

Visbhume

Prophet
Apparently the party moving all at once is ok, but the party shooting all at once is completely unintuitive. Go figure.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It's really a preferences thing
No it's not, it's a "how did the old games work" thing; the answer is clear.

I prefer to have as much control as possible over the battle.
Which is why we're talking about the ranged attacks BEFORE the fight is engaged - you know, just like the old games.

narupley

Scholar
It's really a preferences thing
No it's not, it's a "how did the old games work" thing; the answer is clear.

Like I said, if they put a toggle option in there for it, then people in the minority like you will be happy. The developers themselves said that this isn't meant to be a clone of any single Might & Magic game; it's based on the mechanics of WoX but also inherits from the newer, improved aspects of MMVI+. I reiterate: It is a preferences thing. You're living with the false dichotomy that "MM1-5 are old, MM6-9 are new", but really they're all (well most of them) classic games, and Limbic/Ubisoft appear to be attempting to take the best ideas from the best entries in the series.

I prefer to have as much control as possible over the battle.
Which is why we're talking about the ranged attacks BEFORE the fight is engaged - you know, just like the old games.

Again it comes down to preferences here. Just because you apparently preferred to be locked into all-member auto-shoot when fighting at a range does not mean you're a special jewel in this world and everyone agrees with you. Also my quote and your response is somewhat of a non sequitur. Being forced to have all party members fire when in ranged combat means that you have less control than if you could pick and choose which members should shoot, which should use a potion or whatever, and so on.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There's nothing false about that dichotomy. MM6 marked the point where the game ceased to be grid based, ceased to be turn based, and changed all sorts of other shit. It's of a distinctly different breed.

And having the whole party shoot at once was implemented for distinct reasons, not because it was a preference. It's not something you can just make a damned toggle for, any more than you could make a toggle for health regeneration or infinite fucking gold. The 'LOL, just add this, it was fun in this other gmae' attitude is the scourge of good game design. Every part of a game's design should be purposeful and designed in conjunction with every other part of the game.

narupley

Scholar
Well in any case Limbic / Ubisoft agrees with me and the rest of the M&M community, and that's where it counts :cool:

Apparently the party moving all at once is ok, but the party shooting all at once is completely unintuitive. Go figure.

The English redcoats must be rather shocked to learn that. After all, we all know that they never made it the utter centre-piece of their drills to fire their muskets (and later their rifles) at the same time.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The "shooting all at once" was strange for me too. I recall in one of the old parts being able to shoot with the arrow and then move back with the party, shoot again, move back, shoot again... not even getting engaged in combat. Bleh...
This feature only supports Kiddy-Contest-Jump-Duck-Strafe movements. I'm glad they removed it.

narupley

Scholar

The English redcoats must be rather shocked to learn that. After all, we all know that they never made it the utter centre-piece of their drills to fire their muskets (and later their rifles) at the same time.

LOL yes, because all 10,000 or so men definitely shot all at the same time; it's not like they were arranged in ranks and cycled through taking turns shooting or anything. </derp>

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The point of mass shooting in M&M3-5 is instantly wiping out multiple much weaker enemies without fuss or tedium

Ok, that's an argument. But it still feels like cheating to me. I recall in Wizardry8 this was only possible if you surprised the opponents, which means, that they couldn't see you before and you had to sneak up on them. Then the first round was on your party.

Gozma

Arcane
I dunno what you are talking about with the shoot and scoot post, there is no kiting in M&M3-5 because shooting takes one turn and moving takes one turn, i.e. you can't move faster than half speed while shooting, so anything will eventually catch up to you. It's not like Dungeon Master. In fact, monsters get to "cheat" and both shoot and move each turn, so a kiting attempt is perfectly counterproductive.

Anyway, M&M ain't Wizardry and if I wanted to play Wizardry I'd play it.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom