Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

warmonger3

Scholar
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I have to give it to them, they are trying and actually seem to listen to us. Now I shall also cautiously fap with my socks on in the darkness of my game room.:incline:
:love:Game will be a must buy now. I have support it.

Stabwound

Arcane
Say what you will about Ubisoft sticking their hands in this and making an insincere game, but they really are going above and beyond what 99% of developers would do. I mean, this speaks volumes about their intentions and it's pretty hard to say that it's not sincere. What big publisher in the past 10 years has opened up a community site to interact with the fans about their game, accepting feedback, etc?

sser

Arcane
Developer
Say what you will about Ubisoft sticking their hands in this and making an insincere game, but they really are going above and beyond what 99% of developers would do. I mean, this speaks volumes about their intentions and it's pretty hard to say that it's not sincere. What big publisher in the past 10 years has opened up a community site to interact with the fans about their game, accepting feedback, etc?

BioWare. And that public interaction between company employees and idiots has been oh so sweet.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Even the worst people on that Might and Magic forum are a far cry from the kind of degenerate faggotry going on at the BSN.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Vitality and spirit are totally superfluous.

I looked it up and Lore is a legit German name. Huh.

But with a total different meaning: Lore is a trolley for mining in German.
A word that actually means lore would be Kunde/Lehre/Überlieferung.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On facial expressions https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/51b8936ae754b65937000000

Hello everyone, thank you for the warm welcome! We’re kind of busy right now getting everything started here, but we’ll get back to your comments soon, promised! Of course we’re following everything you write about MMX on different channels, and one topic that has popped up frequently are character portraits in general and portrait expressions in particular. Portrait expressions reflect the current status of your characters, so you can see at a glance whether they’re looking okay, a little bit peaky but still able to act, or whether they’re totally stricken and unable to do anything.

MMX_Dwarf_Female_Expression_Faces-mini.jpg

This is a draft of what a female Dwarf might look like under good conditions (left) and in different states of despair. Not all expressions have made it to the game though; this is merely to show what work in progress can look like.

So your opinions on portrait expressions have been taken into account when we discussed the topic within the team. At the very beginning of the project, no expressions were planned at all, but due to fan feedback, we decided they are too important to leave them out. We chose to have three different states that a character can have: neutral (a serene face), peaky (hurt, with a strained expression) and knocked out (hurt and with eyes closed). These three different expressions carry the most important information about the status of your characters: are they alright, or just a little beat up but still able to fight, or are they out for the time being?

MMX_Human_Expression_Faces-mini.jpg

Human female in an okay state, hurt, and knocked out.

In order to find out what exactly hit your characters (are they stunned, paralyzed etc.), you can either use the information provided by tooltip or check the character sheet.
However, the different states of strainedness are just the cherry on the cake. There has been a lot of work going on in order to make the different character portraits unique and expressive as they are. This is what it looks like when artists work on developing characters:

MMX_Dwarf_Faces-mini.jpg

WIP: Some different approaches to the faces of Dwarfs

And this is what it looks like after the drafts have been discussed and reworked:

MMX_Dwarf_Final_Faces-mini.jpg

The final Dwarf artwork, featuring ferocious beard styles.

Stabwound

Arcane
Awesome. I'm so glad they're keeping little details like the facial expressions, not to mention the artwork is great. Come on, they're really trying here. I can't wait for this game.

Self-Ejected

Cosmic Misogynerd

Self-Ejected
Patron
Codex 2013 Divinity: Original Sin
Am I the only one who thinks the original dwarf portraits look better than the finalized ones? They look kinda sterile.
Yeah, the rough strokes of the original drawings makes them look better. The newer ones looks somewhat plastic. Not bad, but I liked the originals better. Maybe Maiandros, the pretentious "designer" of the horrible Dead State portraits could learn something.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Those drafts do look lovely. It does seem they're putting some effort into this project, and I can only applaud them for that.

Redlands

Arcane
Am I the only one who thinks the original dwarf portraits look better than the finalized ones? They look kinda sterile.

I do as well, but I think it might make doing the different expressions easier with the newer style as well, so that's something to consider.

Alchemist

Arcane
Glad to see them doing the facial expressions and they seem to have some solid artists working on them.

I'm with ya there - the rough drafts have a bit more vitality to them. It's a common problem when making finished versions of artwork. Still, the quality level of the finished ones is quite good.

I could do without the Elvis hair on the blonde dwarf and the female dwarf's eyes look a bit strange (too elven maybe?) - but this is just nitpicking. Overall I'm happy with the direction they're going in.

Wizfall

Cipher
It looks good and considering the small budget it even looks very good.
Would have like a more complex stat system but it has never been the strong point of the M&M games unlike Wizardry.
I's quite good too though.
Very positively surprised by everything i have seen so far, well except the map which should not matter greatly (i hope).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom