Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Morphi

Augur
A comment at the gamestar article asserts that they reuse the multiplayer models from Dark Messiah of MM. I didn't notice. I never played HoMM6 (also apparently a source for creature models) . I like their way of keeping the cost low ;)

Zeriel

Arcane
There's no way it is using models from Dark Messiah. It definitely uses art from Heroes 6, but I don't mind that, considering the best part of Heroes 6 was the art (the rest was terrible).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tile-based movement pattern outside of combat? Meh, I sorta hoped for free analog movement.

And you live in Oldfagistan?

Tile-based movement is one of the best things about this game. Though I know there are those who would have preferred a M&M6-8 recreation rather than the really old school M&M3-5 that we got.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
I'd have to agree that tile-based movement in a 3D environment is stupid, but if you are honestly going to let the type of movement ruin a potentially great RPG for you you are retarded.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
That type of movement *could* be a deal breaker for me, but I'm not writing off the entire game completely. Still need a more complete picture on the game before I make an informed decision. How closely comparable will this to, say, Wizardry 8?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That type of movement *could* be a deal breaker for me, but I'm not writing off the entire game completely. Still need a more complete picture on the game before I make an informed decision. How closely comparable will this to, say, Wizardry 8?
Well, you can't set up the position of your party members for example.

Gozma

Arcane
If I can run through an empty dungeon in six seconds like MM3-5 or a roguelike stepbased is amazing.

If I can finish a trivial fight in literally like less than half a second step blobbing is amazing.

If I am supposed to be deriving entertainment value from lengthy animations and vaguely realistic moseying speeds you better be spending money like The Last of Us or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Luzur Do we have any info about an animation speed slider or general speeding-up mechanics? The tile transitions and animations in that video look like they will drive me insane after about five minutes.

Hey Limbic, answer this!

Stabwound

Arcane
The grid-based over free-movement thing is going to divide people over this game forever, long after its released, even. Whatever, I think it's a good thing, and Xeen is better than anything that came after it. :smug:

Gozma

Arcane
Here's the ultimate argument for a fully quantized and turnbased game: everything that doesn't need interaction from the player can be skipped. I will never hit the autorun key and then watch for fifteen uneventful seconds in a full TB game, nor will I click on the far side of the jpeg and then wait to gather my party before venturing forth. If I have quantized controls (as in one button press makes one thing happen) I can play as fast as I can process whats on the screen.

This design logic mixes really badly with "production values" development that is about spending money on shit like repetitive animations for you to take in, and even worse with making low-budget games where all the passive flash is done cheaply, like, say, this one.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

From the comments section:
Vindicis
August 16, 2013 17:45:59

The RPG Codex, really? That's the most racist den of evil I've ever had the misfortune of stumbling upon. It's full Nazi worshiping, misogynist pigs.

If they only knew you like I know you...:love:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
images

@Jaesun I think you can change your stance from cautiosly fapping to fapping furiously.
This might turn out shit, but what we are seeing in the treailer, is at least as big of an incline as the Kickstarter pet projects, if not bigger.

My opinion on this so far is basically HOLY FUCKING SHIT! YES PLZ!

There are quit a few things I have heard so far that I really don't like, but overall I will still be getting this.

This is still 10000000000000% better than that shit Bethesda and BioWare shit out now days and call a "RPG".

sser

Arcane
Developer
Exciting stuff. That sounded like the reboot-Lara Croft voice in the trailer... a surprising amount of art assets are ripped straight from the recent HoMM games, but I don't really mind that much if they're not charging full price. I kinda hope it doesn't come out soon, though, because I have less than no money at the moment.

imweasel

Gonna buy this shit on day 1.

And I seriously thought that Ubisoft was never going to see a single fucking cent from me ever again too.

:hero:

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, I was going to pre-order it and as such fired up Uplay - I like to verify these things work before committing.
It downloaded some stuff, and then It was stuck like this for half an hour, hogging my CPU, before I just gave up and killed it.
:decline:

uplay.jpg

Are they really unable to get the game on Steam using only Valve's DRM?
As is, I'm not going to be able to play it if I get a legitimate copy.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good video.

Though there's no way I am doing any of this "uPlay" stuff. I like to defend Steam and all but one bloatware resource hog video game purchasing and playing platform is enough for one PC. They better come up with something.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
Looking really good for sure, but how can they be releasing the game next month, if they are still running competitions for dungeon design and whatnot? Makes me uneasy about the state the game is going to be released. This better not turn out to be a half-finished bugfest like the RoA remake. It's enough of a decline already, as it seems I'll finally (whilst mumbling curses and grinding my teeth) have to join that thrice-cursed uPlay. Woe is me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well if they have that editor of theirs running well, implementing the player dungeon isn't much much than just putting the tiles, props, triggers and monster spawns specified in the winner's excel file and dropping an entrance somewhere in the gameworld.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
So it's actually another 6 months of waiting for the full game... Oh well. What they will release on Monday is just a demo for a privileged few

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking really good for sure, but how can they be releasing the game next month, if they are still running competitions for dungeon design and whatnot? Makes me uneasy about the state the game is going to be released. This better not turn out to be a half-finished bugfest like the RoA remake. It's enough of a decline already, as it seems I'll finally (whilst mumbling curses and grinding my teeth) have to join that thrice-cursed uPlay. Woe is me.

They're not releasing it next month.

WarHamster

Augur
Patron
They're not? Then I've been misinformed. I read that the "intro" was to be released on next Monday and the whole game next month. But the actual release is further off then. Well, this is actually good news. Gives them more time to finish and polish the game. I've got more than enough games on my play list as it is, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom