Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
@Luzur, do you have any inside info on the US ban on boxed copies? Also, anyone know if they will still be selling the boxed version at release? Meaning I don't need to ask VD to purchase one now to ensure I can get one?

Zeriel

Arcane
Some guy also talked about having 10 hours into it without being done. He was clearing every tile in the game, though, so if you approach it like a tile-sweeper simulation similar to Demise, you're going to get a lot more mileage out of it.

I'd assume they're working on the rendering performance, it doesn't run all that well here either and I have a pretty good rig.

Other than that, I really liked what I saw, but I hope they implement a faster step mode, because you can't move as fast as in the old MM's, even.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I run a pretty mediocre computer, so the rendering issues make it borderline unplayable for me. That's really the only thing wrong, though--everything else gives me a huge boner. It's also obviously fixable: there's technical glitches like changing view distance not actually changing view distance, so they don't even have to do some deep tinkering with the engine to see results.

Stabwound

Arcane
Same: I have an older rig (2-3 years old, not even near top of the line) and can play most modern games acceptably. I seriously get about 10fps in MMX. I mean, I can play Skyrim even at near max settings at full framerate, so something is up here.

narupley

Scholar
Same: I have an older rig (2-3 years old, not even near top of the line) and can play most modern games acceptably. I seriously get about 10fps in MMX. I mean, I can play Skyrim even at near max settings at full framerate, so something is up here.

Same thing happened to me and I found out it was because for whatever reason the game was preferring to use my integrated graphics card, rather than my NVIDIA. After switching that setting, I was getting a playable (but still subpar) 45 FPS or so on average.

Caim

Arcane
Been reading a few pages, and thus far the Codex' judgement of this game is :incline:, but it's a resource hog?

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Purchased.
I knew my PC couldnt run it (it cannot) but I wanted to support this game and I did =)

Soon enough I will be getting a new PC anyhow and hopefully its better optimized.

-This makes me extremely happy as M&M is probably my favorite series ever.

Nael

Arcane
Been reading a few pages, and thus far the Codex' judgement of this game is :incline:, but it's a resource hog?

Right now it is, yes. I imagine it is the main contributing factor to the game not being released on schedule (was to be released in September, but has been pushed to 'Early 2014').

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Right now it is, yes. I imagine it is the main contributing factor to the game not being released on schedule (was to be released in September, but has been pushed to 'Early 2014').

Eh, I don't think they need 4 months just to sort out performance issues. The game just isn't done yet. They need to do that fan-designed dungeon, too.

Nael

Arcane

Eh, I don't think they need 4 months just to sort out performance issues. The game just isn't done yet. They need to do that fan-designed dungeon, too.

Oh I agree. I'm just saying the lack of optimization is likely the most glaring issue and probably time consuming thing to tamp down before it's ready for general consumption. There are a number of other things too like just balancing the difficulty of the game. It definitely feels like an Early Beta, all things considered.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dean Takahashi is as derpy as usual: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/21/u...ght-magic-role-playing-game-hands-on-preview/

The play is turn-based, where you launch your attacks across a hexagon map, moving within range of enemies and attacking them one by one. Your jobs is to defeat creatures, smash through the bosses, and fulfill quests. You can level up your group and gain powerful new artifacts. We played through a couple of levels of combat. It’s not bad, but I didn’t see enough of the game to see why it stands out in a very crowded field.
:lol:

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
9E5DFF380E5B8913E154692854EF32C07154DA5B

Yep, it's Andyman alright.
"The horse glances at your group placidly. He doesn't look impressed. At all."

The horse is the most intelligent member of the party. Please tell me he is a full party member, or at least continues to chime in with little "comments" like this.

Caim

Arcane
Dean Takahashi is as derpy as usual: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/21/u...ght-magic-role-playing-game-hands-on-preview/

The play is turn-based, where you launch your attacks across a hexagon map, moving within range of enemies and attacking them one by one. Your jobs is to defeat creatures, smash through the bosses, and fulfill quests. You can level up your group and gain powerful new artifacts. We played through a couple of levels of combat. It’s not bad, but I didn’t see enough of the game to see why it stands out in a very crowded field.
Crowded field? How many comparable games have been released in the last year? One?

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane

images

Repressed Homosexual
I looked at a HD gameplay stream.

First off, I must offer kind of an apology to the developers. Who knows, they might possibly read this thread. Many of my concerns still remain, but I must say that it's clear that they're trying hard to make a good Might and Magic game within the confines that they are given.

What I was less enchanted about:

-Generic character portraits that look like they could have been taken out of World of Warcraft
-Looks like it will have little enemy variety
-Too much emphasis on enemy animations... it makes the gameplay longer, and ultimately gets tiring after you've seen it once
-Looks like you will not often face more than just a few enemies
-Music is not very good, they should have hired Paul Romero
-Looks like there are only very few character one-liners

On the other hand, towns look very good, the little character shop animations and backgrounds are well made and a decent replacement for the exquisite animated 2D backgrounds of VI-VIII, and it looks like they understand the humor (although not as much as I'd like).

narupley

Scholar

I agree with this. It's not just the performance issues; there are many features missing that should have been no-brainers, a variety of balance problems, and a HUGE amount of bugs.

Nael

Arcane

First off, I must offer kind of an apology to the developers. Who knows, they might possibly read this thread. Many of my concerns still remain, but I must say that it's clear that they're trying hard to make a good Might and Magic game within the confines that they are given.

-Generic character portraits that look like they could have been taken out of World of Warcraft
-Too much emphasis on enemy animations... it makes the gameplay longer, and ultimately gets tiring after you've seen it once

On the other hand, towns look very good, the little character shop animations and backgrounds are well made and a decent replacement for the exquisite animated 2D backgrounds of VI-VIII, and it looks like they understand the humor (although not as much as I'd like).
Agreed with pretty much all of that. Given that the game will be released with an editor maybe it will be robust enough to give the game the Elder Scrolls treatment. :M

Also the outcry on the enemy animations is pretty deafening and I am holding out hope that they either speed it up or allow us to skip animations altogether.

Zeriel

Arcane

Agreed with pretty much all of that. Given that the game will be released with an editor maybe it will be robust enough to give the game the Elder Scrolls treatment. :M

Also the outcry on the enemy animations is pretty deafening and I am holding out hope that they either speed it up or allow us to skip animations altogether.

Yeah, it's minor things really that could tilt this thing either way.

Options to skip animations/skip delay on movement/optimizations that make the game run smoothly would make this not just a great game, but legitimately a candidate for my favorite title of the decade. It's so close to pure nerdvana.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom