Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Morphi

Augur
Dean Takahashi is as derpy as usual: http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/21/u...ght-magic-role-playing-game-hands-on-preview/

The play is turn-based, where you launch your attacks across a hexagon map, moving within range of enemies and attacking them one by one. Your jobs is to defeat creatures, smash through the bosses, and fulfill quests. You can level up your group and gain powerful new artifacts. We played through a couple of levels of combat. It’s not bad, but I didn’t see enough of the game to see why it stands out in a very crowded field.
:lol:
Crowded field? How many comparable games have been released in the last year? One?

Hexagon map :hearnoevil::nocountryforshitposters:

Luzur

Good Sir
@Luzur, do you have any inside info on the US ban on boxed copies? Also, anyone know if they will still be selling the boxed version at release? Meaning I don't need to ask VD to purchase one now to ensure I can get one?

i posted your question along with a report on the FPS isssues, so now we just wait.

duchU

Educated
Don't like text fonts in this game. This is like Writ of Fate style. MM6-8 were much better in this aspect (more comfortable to read).

Stabwound

Arcane
The great thing about the game coming with an editor means that it will be way easier to expand upon the game and build dungeons. Grid-based has to be much easier to design with than free-roaming like Skyrim and the other Bethesda games. This game should be great.

catfood

AGAIN
The great thing about the game coming with an editor means that it will be way easier to expand upon the game and build dungeons. Grid-based has to be much easier to design with than free-roaming like Skyrim and the other Bethesda games. This game should be great.
Yeah, actually if it hadn't been for the editor this would have been the end of turn and grid based Might & Magic. If there's going to be any others after this one, they're going to be more akin to MM6+, mark my words. Already the kiddies are QQing about the lack of free movement and TB.

Branm

Learned
Just beat Mamushi with a balanced party (barb,rang, defender, mage). Difficulty wise for me he is right on tune but I imagine he might get toned down a little :(

Did the Den of Thieves after which was a challenge but not too bad. Overall I'm pretty happy with the difficulty. Weapon progression needs to pick up soon though....

Steam says I'm at 13 hours played. But I do let it idle at times and explore everything. If this is about a quarter of the game with I'm guessing maybe only 75% of quests implemented the full game should be long enough!

Well I wouldn't complain about a ~40+ hour game...this day of age from a major publisher it be a miracle!!!! But obviously longer = better :)

Nael

Arcane
Yeah, actually if it hadn't been for the editor this would have been the end of turn and grid based Might & Magic. If there's going to be any others after this one, they're going to be more akin to MM6+, mark my words. Already the kiddies are QQing about the lack of free movement and TB.

After seeing the travesty that was the Shadowrun editor I am hesitant to declare the future of MMX set in stone and trumpeted by a chorus of angels. They both share the Unity Engine as well so we will see how that comes out.

Arkeus

Arcane
After seeing the travesty that was the Shadowrun editor I am hesitant to declare the future of MMX set in stone and trumpeted by a chorus of angels. They both share the Unity Engine as well so we will see how that comes out.
The Shadowrun editor is that bad? i thought people were enthused by it.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most of them were excited because of the idiotic "The game is shit? OH WELL MODTOOLS WILL FIX EVERYTHING" mindset that Bethesda games instilled in the mindset of many people.

In reality, it doesn't work because Shadowrun's editor is limited as fuck.

Nael

Arcane
The Shadowrun editor is that bad? i thought people were enthused by it.

It has some issues. I know there are significant issues specifically with the way it handles dialogue. Also it doesn't have nearly the same capabilities as an editor like that comes with the TES games so I'm just urging caution to people expecting similar user-created content like we saw in TES 3-5

Stabwound

Arcane
Shadowrun's editor might suck, but for a game like MMX where 95% of the fun is exploring fun dungeons, I don't see how they could fuck it up unless it was intentional.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's a translated version of an old French interview with Erwan Le Breton, the creative director of the entire Might & Magic franchise at Ubisoft:

catfood

AGAIN
Interesting. He says that the success of retro styled games like Grimrock helped convince the scumbags in the upper management to green light an old-school sequel to M&M. But if I remember an earlier statement they said that they started working on it a year before Grimcock was even released. Was there something lost in translation, or did MMX change direction mid-way into development?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
But if I remember an earlier statement they said that they started working on it a year before Grimcock was even released.

A year? Nah, they never said that. They did say that the game was pitched a few months before Grimrock came out, and that Grimrock's first prerelease trailers convinced the Ubisoft higher ups to greenlight it. See here: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/51fa7240888ef6c213000001

In January 2012, a “contest” was held within the Ubi Partners studio. Everyone in the studio could submit project pitches, and the heads of Ubi Partners (producers, business managers, brand managers, creative directors, etc.) would pick the most convincing ideas and officially start looking for a development studio to make them happen. That was the opportunity I had been waiting for.

With the support of the rest of the M&M team, my Might & Magic old-school RPG project was submitted. As you can probably guess, it was one of the projects that made the cut. By the way, I wish to address a big thank you to the fine folks at Almost Human Games. This whole contest took place before the release of Legend of Grimrock, but the Grimrock team had just released a gameplay trailer that proved a great asset to "sell" the project internally, as it showcased what we wanted the new Might & Magic to be: old-school, but looking cool.

Grimrock was released in April 2012.

Last edited:

Branm

Learned
That's actually a really good interview. Dude seems honest and doesn't bombard me with industry buzzwords!!

Guess it's really just a matter of convincing the paper pushing suits. Suppose now with WL2, Torment, PE and now this I wouldn't be surprised at all if more publisher wont be trying to cater to the old school gamers.

Honestly didnt think Ubisoft would be the first one to do it...But all the power to them, happy I bought this.

Repressed Homosexual
It's always embarrassing how the French use as many English words as they can instead of the perfectly good French ones we already have. Quebec is actually much better in that regard.

"Teachers"???

narupley

Scholar
It's always embarrassing how the French use as many English words as they can instead of the perfectly good French ones we already have. Quebec is actually much better in that regard.

"Teachers"???

The Japanese do that too, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was a common thing among developed countries in general. Usually it's only the old folks really complaining about it though.

Repressed Homosexual
Yes but when it comes to incredibly common, mundane words, it's just pathetic.

For example, they just say shopping, instead of a proper word. I could go on and on about this.

Darth Roxor

Rattus Iratus
Staff Member
You are naive if you think that happens only to French. Those linguistic neoplasms creep into just about every language exposed to pop culture/mass media out there, and they always sound fucking retarded. "Shopping" can also be found in potato nowadays, among other things.

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Gamescom photos: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/52162f14e754b6c661000004

greeting.jpg

Sup @JarlFrank :P

vote_1600.jpg

@Morphi :yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom