Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Knee-slapper humor at its worst. Same happened in Drakensang (was even written in a game review). Maybe germans should stay at their Wimmelbildspiele and Simulators.

Zeriel

Arcane
Oh, fuck off. You can complain when it's in a new series, but this is completely in the tradition of the franchise (the DRM ain't, but that aside). If you hate Might & Magic, stop following the game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The game can still be utter shit, but i think fans would be more pissed off if they didn't have these elements, heck... i'm disappointed they don't have lasers and spaceships. :decline:

I haven't played any western blobbers other than wiz8 and paper sorcerer.

is World of xeen the MoM I should play for the best of the series?

World of Xeen is one of the best in the series, personally i prefer Mandate of Heaven.

its the one with sci-fi stuff right? WoX is the next blobber on my to play list then.

Zeriel

Arcane
A lot of them have sci-fi elements of some kind. It usually just amounts to energy weapons, though.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I haven't played any western blobbers other than wiz8 and paper sorcerer.

is World of xeen the MoM I should play for the best of the series?

I enjoy VII the most, but I think I would recommend WoX to newcomers, yeah. All-around, it is probably the strongest part of the series.

Zeriel

Arcane
Is there a guide out there to fixing the sound in WoX? Every time I tried to go back and play it, the sound was ridiculously buggy and ear-raping.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Well, one perk of working under a big publisher is that they pay for extravagances like this: https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/a-symphony-of-might-magic

I appreciate the fact that they actually care enough about the game to pay for an orchestra, rather than slap something together quickly to pander to fans.
But yes, I would consider it an extravagance, since previous games managed to have great music despite because of using the MT-32, AdLib or even MIDI.

Zeriel

Arcane
If anything, I kind of despise orchestral music. It's seen as the defacto "quality" treatment these days, and makes all music sound exactly the same. I miss the character of old game music.

Luzur

Good Sir
Is there a guide out there to fixing the sound in WoX? Every time I tried to go back and play it, the sound was ridiculously buggy and ear-raping.

you have that stuttering or tavern sound crash?

did you check the sound config in DOSbox? sometimes you need to crosscheck the sound settings in both DOSbox and the Install menu, if i recall correctly, it should be something like "DOSWoX.config" or "dosboxwox.config" (can be .conf or .con too, not sure anymore) and open that with txt and find the sound setting parts, and try to change DMA and IRQ around (i use mostly the different Soundblasters, but Roland can be used too.) Port should always be 220, but try DMA or IRQ (DMA between 1-3, IRQ 5-7) and save, now open up the WoX install and change the settings there to what you edited in the config file to match.

although you might be forced to run the wox Install program in dosbox though, cant remember how i did that, Dosbox should have some guides on that.

Zeriel

Arcane
I just remember the sounds being really loud and poppy/buggy. I also have a vague memory of looking it up, and people saying that there's some glitch where it assigns the wrong sounds to things (i.e opening doors has a really loud noise that isn't supposed to be that particular one). Would have to try it out again to refresh my memory, I guess.

I did go through the bare minimum of making sure the install/setup was done in Dosbox and matched Dosbox settings, so doubt it was that.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I just remember the sounds being really loud and poppy/buggy. I also have a vague memory of looking it up, and people saying that there's some glitch where it assigns the wrong sounds to things (i.e opening doors has a really loud noise that isn't supposed to be that particular one). Would have to try it out again to refresh my memory, I guess.
The only way to fix the "wrong sound on things" "bug" is to get a Sound Canvas. It's not a bug, it's choosing the wrong sound output. Ever since XP Windows has gotten us thinking that it can emulate the SC (and M$ claimed that ouright), but it doesn't do it properly, so if you choose the Sound Canvas option in WOX, without a real Sound Canvas, you get the wrong sounds playing because the Windows MIDI emulator sucks. No real way around it other than setting sound to play from Sound Blaster (which works in DOSBox, though of course sound quality is much worse), or to set it to use MT-32 instead, and use the Munt-enabled DOSBox with the CM-32L ROMs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom