Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As far as publisher evilness goes, I suspect that Ubisoft will mandate that MMX get a bunch of DLC if the game is reasonably successful. We already know it's going to have at least one piece of DLC that preorderers will get for free.

It may also be that the game will be rushed out incomplete; I hope the Limbic guys didn't go too crazy trying to make the game as big or bigger than Xeen.

narupley

Scholar
Here are the full raw chat logs from the IRC dev chat today:

#mmxdev: http://hastebin.com/vofowukaka.xml
#mmxfeedback: http://hastebin.com/jonupolumu.xml

Sheesh, that evpkol character is such an insufferable git.

He's the same way on the forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...-chat-3-quot?p=9389078&viewfull=1#post9389078

evpkol said:
C_Rastrelly said:
Yes it does. It plays the crucial role in this great downfall.
For some reason the whole thing about grid occupied developers minds so much, they thought: "Yes grid is the defining feature, to hell with big world, to hell with player/world interraction, to hell with complex character development, to hell with choice driven situations, to hell with paperdolls, to hell with any other innovative ideas and novelties, we don't need them, WE HAVE GRID".

So generally it is: "To hell with a lot of elements which make an RPG game an actual RPG in favor of GRID."
All their work is concentrated around the grid, their main efforts are dedicated to improving grid-playing experience, they don't have even a slightest intention of looking in any other direction.

This is what i meant when told that "Grid killed the game".
If you won't get it this time, put so plain and simple...well i don't know then.

m_s0

Arcane
Well, if Limbic are to be believed, Ubisoft is pretty lenient about such projects compared to other publishers. Stephan told me that in his personal opinion, M&MX couldn't have happened with any other publisher the size of Ubisoft. Of course, Limbic have pretty obvious reasons to like Ubisoft at the moment, so I guess you can take that with a grain of salt.
And I bet it's true to some extent since MMX is actually happening and it's clearly rooted in the 3-5 era. A bit unexpected for 2013-2014. But then you've got crap like this:
We already know it's going to have at least one piece of DLC that preorderers will get for free
Which is another practice that should die and it definitely doesn't make my decision easier. Or maybe it does. Depends how you look at it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, that sort of stuff comes with the territory (large publisher) I suppose. The fact that they're willing to take risks and support creative talent doesn't mean all the other shit goes away ;)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Here are the full raw chat logs from the IRC dev chat today:

#mmxdev: http://hastebin.com/vofowukaka.xml
#mmxfeedback: http://hastebin.com/jonupolumu.xml

Sheesh, that evpkol character is such an insufferable git.

He's the same way on the forums: http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...-chat-3-quot?p=9389078&viewfull=1#post9389078

evpkol said:
C_Rastrelly said:
Yes it does. It plays the crucial role in this great downfall.
For some reason the whole thing about grid occupied developers minds so much, they thought: "Yes grid is the defining feature, to hell with big world, to hell with player/world interraction, to hell with complex character development, to hell with choice driven situations, to hell with paperdolls, to hell with any other innovative ideas and novelties, we don't need them, WE HAVE GRID".

So generally it is: "To hell with a lot of elements which make an RPG game an actual RPG in favor of GRID."
All their work is concentrated around the grid, their main efforts are dedicated to improving grid-playing experience, they don't have even a slightest intention of looking in any other direction.

This is what i meant when told that "Grid killed the game".
If you won't get it this time, put so plain and simple...well i don't know then.

OK I detest grids but that is fucking stupid

Luzur

Good Sir
Will there be an option for real-time combat as in previous M&M games, or is this game only turn-based?
To the most funny thing is that people still haven't given up real-time gameplay. I wonder how many more times will the devs have to repeat that that MMX is inspired by WOX primarily before people get it.

but then they would have to explain what WoX is.

Zeriel

Arcane
Luzur

Could you ask/or do you know whether or not they're planning on releasing a list of the elements used in the StaticData .CSV's? Stuff like ADDITIONAL_STRIKE, APPLY_GASH, et cetera, seems pretty weird to expect people to mod it through trial and error, but I gotta ask.

Luzur

Good Sir
Luzur

Could you ask/or do you know whether or not they're planning on releasing a list of the elements used in the StaticData .CSV's? Stuff like ADDITIONAL_STRIKE, APPLY_GASH, et cetera, seems pretty weird to expect people to mod it through trial and error, but I gotta ask.

alright, will do.

Zeriel

Arcane
Well, we can say farwell to remakes of early M&Ms on M&M X engine. Quite sad, i was looking forward to playing with the editor but the Pro license requirements kills the modding scene in womb. I'd say drop the editor and put that effort into the game itself. That's really sad :-(

I don't see why people couldn't still make them. It's not that hard to torrent Unity Pro. Overall, I don't understand the logic behind remaking old, good games in a modern engine. I mean, these games are still great. You can go play them in all their glory. Remaking them in a new engine without the features that made them good (idiosyncratic things like how skills work in those games that aren't the same in MMX) and with different models/art just seems pointless to me.

Now a mod that creates something new? That's the whole point of these kits, to me.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Overall, I don't understand the logic behind remaking old, good games in a modern engine. I mean, these games are still great. You can go play them in all their glory. Remaking them in a new engine without the features that made them good (idiosyncratic things like how skills work in those games that aren't the same in MMX) and with different models/art just seems pointless to me.

Now a mod that creates something new? That's the whole point of these kits, to me.

I agree with this point of view. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I don't get this obsession with remakes. Reminds of the thread about some guy working 7 years on implementing Baldur's Gate 1 in the NWN2 engine or Jane Jensen working on a Gabriel Knight 1 remake rather than expanding the series.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
The point is to make old games with proven gameplay visually appealing to newer generations (and to milk money). However most remakes fail that by delivering crappy 3D models, blurry textures, wooden animations - worse than the pixel graphics of their predecessors :roll:

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, I specifically mean when people are excited about mods that remake older games. By their very nature, almost all mods are restricted in the mechanics they can use, so it seems like a disaster. At least NWN mods that remade Baldur's Gate existed in the same general rules framework.

narupley

Scholar
Heh, Nicolas Corral of Ubisoft touting the virtues of Uplay:

https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/uplay-and-m-m-x

Just look at the wonderful things you'll be able to unlock by racking up their special proprietary points!

UplayRewards.png

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Typical Uplay crap, nothing to be surprised about here.

Also I have about 50 (or maybe even more, can't recall) Uplay points just by playing Assassin's Creed III, so I guess those 10-40 points will be easy enough to get after you've played the game for some time.

Caim

Arcane
Honestly I think that using points you get from achievements is a great way to artificially extend gameplay incentivize playing the game more, but that's just bad.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Catgirls are always welcome in my party
But really, what does that meow mean, and what makes that mage hireling different from others. duh.

narupley

Scholar
Catgirls are always welcome in my party
But really, what does that meow mean, and what makes that mage hireling different from others. duh.

It's obviously a reference to the obligatory animal-sound religions of each M&M.

[20:01] <@UBI-Julien> OK one last one for the road : "please add some cats to the game! " => Well if you played Heroes VI you might know there is a Temple of Meow somewhere on Ashan... So who knows... :p

Shadenuat

Arcane
I only remember Temple of Baa. Guess I didn't pay much attention

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom