Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Dorateen

Arcane
Might & Magic is not Neverwinter Nights. It was nice of them to throw in a modding kit for those so inclined, but it's not why I'm interested in the franchise. I've never liked the trend of full games being bundled together with construction kts. That should be a totally separate product like Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures.

What a few industrious and savvy coders and builders might do with an engine, such as the Circle of 8, is a different matter.

LeJosh

Savant
Good changes overall and MAP NOTES!

However, the necessity to use Unity Pro is disgusting.

This is their reasoning: -

"The Modding Kit itself won´t fully run with the Unity free. The Main reason is, that the core feature, which is used for the export of the 3D environment is a Unity premium-only feature. We are sorry for this, but at the moment we have no workaround available, which would replace the need for this premium feature. Because of this Unity free is not officially supported by this ModKit."

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
Well, we can say farwell to remakes of early M&Ms on M&M X engine. Quite sad, i was looking forward to playing with the editor but the Pro license requirements kills the modding scene in womb. I'd say drop the editor and put that effort into the game itself. That's really sad :-(

narupley

Scholar
Well there's at least one person here from the Codex who has Unity Pro obviously (or perhaps Limbic got a license for him)...

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Is Ubisoft requiring that you only play while online for the DRM? Or is it a one-time internet activation kind of deal?
I've read this entire thread, but I forgot if this was answered definitively at an earlier point.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Pretty sure they've stopped doing the online thing due to server costs.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is Ubisoft requiring that you only play while online for the DRM? Or is it a one-time internet activation kind of deal?
I've read this entire thread, but I forgot if this was answered definitively at an earlier point.

You don't have to be online after first activation but Uplay must be running behind.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Taking the latest assassins creed as an example, i think they are taking the approach of blocking content behind an online check, only if you are online can you access certain single player content (i think).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Taking the latest assassins creed as an example, i think they are taking the approach of blocking content behind an online check, only if you are online can you access certain single player content (i think).

Nope. Where'd you hear that? There's just a single activation check.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Stephan Winter in Gamescom Coverage said:
We also have relics like in the old games, but they work differently. You'll be able to level them up so they follow your progression, kind of.” His thoughts seem to wander off, and his smile turns into a grin: “and don't worry, you don't have to be online for that to work,” he comments, obviously referring to the Always Online controversy surrounding the relics of Might & Magic Heroes VI.

So either they are lying cunts or you've got it wrong ;)

(link in my sig)

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Interesting, now they call it a "dev kit" instead of a mod kit. Still, asking people to plunk $1500 for the privilege of adding content to your game seems a tad steep.

m_s0

Arcane
Yup. As far as I know, it has a single online activation.

Remember when that used to be decline when BioShock did it? :/
It still doesn't sit well with me. I'm torn: on one hand the game looks great, but on the other it's got online activation and it's published by Ubisoft, the products of which I refuse to buy. An independent GOG release I'd grab in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I'll buy just for the sake of encouraging Ubisoft that the M&M franchise still has potential and existing fans. If it doesn't sell well, then it'll go to the internet discount bin and no more future releases. Plus, at least they entrusted it to a fan of old-school gameplay.

m_s0

Arcane
Yup, this is worth encouraging. However, this is Ubisoft we're talking about. If they're acting benevolent, customer-friendly or anything along those lines it only means they have some heinous shit in the pipes. Like when they ditched StarForce a couple of years back - which got them great publicity - after getting sued only because they were working on something even worse. I don't believe or trust those fuckers for a minute, but I'd gladly support the creators.

Like I said, I'm torn.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'll buy just for the sake of encouraging Ubisoft that the M&M franchise still has potential and existing fans. If it doesn't sell well, then it'll go to the internet discount bin and no more future releases. Plus, at least they entrusted it to a fan of old-school gameplay.

Agreed. I'm 110% on-board with this game... but even if I wasn't I would probably buy it just to let Ubi know that there is a market for a quality old school RPG designed by people who want to keep it old school and not dumb it down.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Will there be an option for real-time combat as in previous M&M games, or is this game only turn-based?
To the most funny thing is that people still haven't given up real-time gameplay. I wonder how many more times will the devs have to repeat that that MMX is inspired by WOX primarily before people get it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Yup, this is worth encouraging. However, this is Ubisoft we're talking about. If they're acting benevolent, customer-friendly or anything along those lines it only means they have some heinous shit in the pipes. Like when they ditched StarForce a couple of years back - which got them great publicity - after getting sued only because they were working on something even worse. I don't believe or trust those fuckers for a minute, but I'd gladly support the creators.

Like I said, I'm torn.

Well, if Limbic are to be believed, Ubisoft is pretty lenient about such projects compared to other publishers. Stephan told me that in his personal opinion, M&MX couldn't have happened with any other publisher the size of Ubisoft. Of course, Limbic have pretty obvious reasons to like Ubisoft at the moment, so I guess you can take that with a grain of salt.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom