Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Might and Magic Might & Magic X Pre-Release Thread

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

What's more important, there won't be additional rape of Command & Conquer. Not that C&C4 left much unraped :(

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, reading the comments over there really made me lose my mind. People saying that a F2P C&C is better than no C&C at all--nope. It's way worse. Garbage adaptations of a good series that succeed mean that no good titles will ever be produced again, since the garbage is seen as the model for all future games. At least if things like this fail horribly, there is a very, very faint chance they'll try to do a proper sequel at some point.

I'd say this was a case of an extremely rare win for consumers. We managed to somehow convince them that in fact no one wanted F2P multiplayer in a traditionally singleplayer franchise. Oh, who am I kidding, this was probably just an excuse for EA to shutdown a studio they wanted to shutdown.

Last edited:

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
the japs skipped xeen? WTF

No, there's a version for MM4 and 5 for the PC-98 with the same animu'd-up style as the japanese versions of MM3.

mm5-pc981.png

Dat 16-colour palette.
:thumbsup:

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I found this while I was digging around for articles on the Kickstarter Holy Trinity:

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Are the graphics still terribly unoptimized?

I doubt much will change in these regards. You can bring Unity engine to its knees easily with medium sized exteriors. The engine was originally designed for mobile devices and you can see this everywhere. Even terrain normal maps weren't introduced until 2 years ago, which was long overdue since any other game engine had this since 2005. They actually do have some good optimization built in, but it's not sufficient yet. Still a work in progress. Unreal engine is much better optimized in these regards, however much less user friendly.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Are the graphics still terribly unoptimized?

I doubt much will change in these regards. You can bring Unity engine to its knees easily with medium sized exteriors. The engine was originally designed for mobile devices and you can see this everywhere. Even terrain normal maps weren't introduced until 2 years ago, which was long overdue since any other game engine had this since 2005. They actually do have some good optimization built in, but it's not sufficient yet. Still a work in progress. Unreal engine is much better optimized in these regards, however much less user friendly.

Makes you wonder why every kickstarter or underfunded rpg developer picked Unity in the first place, cost effective doesn't mean shit if the game plays horribly. WL2 is another example of how the engine seems to pull the game down (their gameplay videos are anything but smooth).

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://mightandmagicx-legacy.ubi.com/opendev/blog/post/view/the-tone-of-might-magic

THE TONE OF MIGHT & MAGIC
Posted By: Marzhin93

Writing a new Might & Magic RPG comes with its own challenges. We already talked a bit about that topic in the post dedicated to Articy:Draft, but there’s another aspect to be accounted for: the tone of the game.

The five first episodes of the series had a rather wacky tone, full of pop culture jokes and characters named King Malefactor, Joe the Exterminator or Lord Inspectron (not to mention good old Crag Hack). Also, the sci-fi background of the series was quite prominent, especially in the Xeen games that had a distinct Jack Vance vibe and were populated by all sorts of strange denizens.

The series arguably became more “serious” starting with Might & Magic VI and Heroes III, adopting a more “Lord of the Rings” feel and making the sci-fi elements less obvious (and completely absent in the case of the Heroes subseries). And of course, the background of the world of Ashan doesn’t involve sci-fi anymore.

Xeen_Vampire.gif

It’s a bit hard to take this Xeen vampire seriously...

WHY SO SERIOUS?

Having grown up with the early Might & Magic games, I very much wanted to bring back some of their unique eccentricity into Might & Magic X. But it was clear from the beginning Might & Magic X would not be a parody of fantasy, because that’s not what Ashan is supposed to be. And truth be told, there’s nothing inherently funny or wacky about the adventure the Raiders are embarking upon in Legacy. Battles will be fought. People will die. The villains are not moustache-twirling caricatures: they mean business, and actually have good reasons to do what they do (or at least they think their reasons are good...)

However, while discussing the tone of the game with Erwan Le Breton, the creative director of the Might & Magic brand as a whole, we quickly agreed that it didn’t need to be as serious as the Heroes games are. Might & Magic X would be “a serious story that doesn’t take itself too seriously.”

MM6_Lich.jpg

Even if Might & Magic VI is a bit more serious than its predecessors, it’s still filled with pop-culture references, such as these “Thundercats” Liches :)

One way to achieve that was through the character voices, that we call the “barks”. At creation, you can choose to give them a “cynical” voice, but it could be more accurately described as “silly”. Choosing this option will have the characters tell jokes and break the fourth wall, lampshading the usual tropes of role-playing games and echoing what the player may himself think. For instance, come into a town and one of your characters might say “Something tells me the locals will have work for us. Really, it's like they've been waiting for us to solve all their problems for them…”

(Before one of you say something about it: yes, we know the barks are currently too frequent and therefore annoying. That’s something that will definitely be fixed for the game’s release. Also note that if you want a more serious experience, you can also choose the “heroic” voices.)

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

Another important source of non-seriousness is the NPCs. While they are not as crazy as some of the characters of Might & Magic II or III were, some denizens of the Agyn Peninsula are still weird and quirky. I had a lot of fun writing them, and I hope you will feel it when you meet them in the game. By the way, if you have played the Early Access version, you might have met Isaak, a villager of Sorpigal who tells lame jokes. This character is actually a tip of the hat to similar characters found in Might & Magic II & III– let’s see if some of you remember the NPCs I am talking about :)

You might also catch some NPCs and enemies doing silly stuff if you watch them long enough ;)

Also, you can expect a lot – and by that I mean A LOT – of references to various movies, TV series and comic books. Star Trek jokes are a sort of tradition in Might & Magic, and Might & Magic X has its fair share of them. But there are also winks and nods to stuff like Doctor Who (a personal favourite), Monty Python, not to mention a couple of obscure in-jokes that only French nerds might get. Several NPCs are also named after former New World Computing developers and other video game legends (so yes, Caldwell the blacksmith is indeed named after NWC co-founder Mark Caldwell). And of course, there’s a ton a references to the old Might & Magic games and the Ancient Universe as well. There are many easter eggs hidden in the game waiting to be discovered by adventurous players.

To sum things up, we tried to achieve a balance between offering an epic sword-and-sorcery adventure on one hand, and staying true to the light-hearted, humorous tone of the old Might & Magic games on the other. We hope you will enjoy playing the game as much as we enjoyed making it :)

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Huh. Well.. Hope it won't harm the game too bad.

Anyway, that tone article gives me a very hopeful feeling about the game. It really sounds like the kind of game I'd love to play.

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I enjoyed the early access, and I'm very optimistic that the final release is going to be great. Can't wait!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom