Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Moar like turd-based.

Wizfall

Cipher
I don't believe in the Obsidian possibility (or it won't be a blobber).
It seems very clear to me that Obsidian doesn't believe in the oldschool gameplay (not a critic, they are maybe right, should wait W2 and SR sales numbers).
They want to make cRPG with "modern" mechanic (not TB but real time) but better story like FNV or KoTOR 2
PE is the most hardcore they can go and they already stated one hardcore game is enough.

South Park is turn-based. :troll:
I know but for me it's the exception, a Southpark cRPG is a so weird concept IMO.
That really the feeling that i get reading theirs multiple interviews anyway.
IronicNeurotic : they have clearly said something like this, it's not an interpretation, i'm sure of it but would not bother finding the source. So believe me or not.

DeepOcean

Arcane
We are talking about Ubisoft, the company that make all their open world games collectible hunting for OCD retards, full of repetitive and shallow side activities, love to make scripted, linear missions to tell a story written by pretentious writers that write schlock thinking that they are amazing and profound. I have only a little hope if Obsidian are making this thing instead of the hacks that work for Ubisoft. This thing will be as if Skyrim and Assassin Creed had a child, if Obsidian is making this thing there is hope that they are going to preserve the RPG elements in some form, if the Ubisoft hacks are the ones making this thing, we are going to have a shallow RPG with a redundant skill system but don't worry there is a lot of collectibles to collect.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We are talking about Ubisoft, the company that make all their open world games collectible hunting for OCD retards, full of repetitive and shallow side activities, love to make scripted, linear missions to tell a story written by pretentious writers that write schlock thinking that they are amazing and profound. I have only a little hope if Obsidian are making this thing instead of the hacks that work for Ubisoft. This thing will be as if Skyrim and Assassin Creed had a child, if Obsidian is making this thing there is hope that they are going to preserve the RPG elements in some form, if the Ubisoft hacks are the ones making this thing, we are going to have a shallow RPG with a redundant skill system but don't worry there is a lot of collectibles to collect.

No Ubisoft-owned dev has ever made a M&M game. I don't see why they would start doing them in-house now. But who knows?

Stabwound

Arcane
Is it possible that Ubisoft is officially endorsing the unofficial M&M X project that's been going on for a while? I just looked at their Facebook and the most recent status update from 2 days ago is: "We are live with a surprise mini-conference with guests from Ubisoft!" and before that they seem to have rebooted the project completely as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/childrenofthevoid

Seems unlikely but possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it possible that Ubisoft is officially endorsing the unofficial M&M X project that's been going on for a while? I just looked at their Facebook and the most recent status update from 2 days ago is: "We are live with a surprise mini-conference with guests from Ubisoft!" and before that they seem to have rebooted the project completely as of a few weeks ago.

https://www.facebook.com/childrenofthevoid

Seems unlikely but possible.

RTFT http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...o-be-revealed-at-pax-east.81392/#post-2551407

I don't know about endorsing but they've probably given them permission to proceed as long as they don't call it M&M X or whatever.

Koschey

Arcane
Will follow with mild interest, but I'm not holding my breath here. It's probably going to be shit.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
In theory this could work, actually. Newest HoMMs are not bad games as far as combat mechanics go. My only fear is that they remove trainers and force some online DRM crap like the legacy bullshit in HoMM6. Also to whomever thinks that Obsidian is a good choice for this type of game- go fuck yourselves.

Stabwound

Arcane
Well, whatever, there's virtually no chance this won't be shit. I refuse to let myself get any kind of excitement from something like this after the recent Ultima debacle. There's a chance they saw how well Legend of Grimrock did and decided to make an amazing, open world, turn-based blobber... but that's just getting hopes up. Fucking lol at the prospect of Obsidian doing this. I don't think anyone could anymore.

Lautreamont

Augur
Is it possible that Ubisoft is officially endorsing the unofficial M&M X project that's been going on for a while?

Seems unlikely. From what I understand, Ubisoft has merely given the project its blessing. Here's what they told the project leader a few months ago:

The Might & Magic team as a whole is honoured by the time and energy you and your team are putting in the Children of the Void project. It is truly delightful and humbling to see fans hard at work to continue the tradition of the past Might & Magic games and universe...That being said, using the name “Might & Magic X” for your project is unfortunately an issue with Ubisoft. The name would imply your game is an official Might & Magic product, which could be misleading for the community. Also, there’s always the possibility a Ubisoft-produced Might & Magic X is released in the future...We have no issue however with you continuing the previous storylines or using the pre-Ashan characters. Mentioning the name Might & Magic is also OK as long as the “fan-produced” and “unofficial” nature of the project is obvious.

~Might & Magic Team Representative, Ubisoft Entertainment

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ugh... it's not like Ubisoft is known for their RPGs... Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes, Settlers 2 and Lost Magic?

http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Search.aspx?plTag=ds

Any of these actually good enough to make us confident that MMX will be an incline?

:lol: I don't know about the other two, but Settlers 2 is no RPG.

Somebody might want to tell Ubisoft. They categorize it as so on their website. If they can't distinguish what an RPG is and isn't, it doesn't bode well for their future RPG endeavors.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
I guess, it's the same team (Related Design) that did the new online M&M game
Maybe they developed both projects simultaneously, because those high res assets look very suitable for a PC game as well.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In theory this could work, actually. Newest HoMMs are not bad games as far as combat mechanics go. My only fear is that they remove trainers and force some online DRM crap like the legacy bullshit in HoMM6. Also to whomever thinks that Obsidian is a good choice for this type of game- go fuck yourselves.
Well, it would be a better option than the guys that worked on Assassins creed and Shit Cry 3, Obsidian is a storyfag company but they actually created RPGs on the past, something that you can't say about the Assassins creed/Far cry 3 people. Another possibility is Ubisoft outsourcing the development to a cheap eastern european developer and we saw how wonderful HoMM 6 was. I prefer the old New World Computing guys making this thing, but the chances of this happening is very, very, very small.

Stabwound

Arcane
Is it possible that Ubisoft is officially endorsing the unofficial M&M X project that's been going on for a while?

Seems unlikely. From what I understand, Ubisoft has merely given the project its blessing. Here's what they told the project leader a few months ago:

The Might & Magic team as a whole is honoured by the time and energy you and your team are putting in the Children of the Void project. It is truly delightful and humbling to see fans hard at work to continue the tradition of the past Might & Magic games and universe...That being said, using the name “Might & Magic X” for your project is unfortunately an issue with Ubisoft. The name would imply your game is an official Might & Magic product, which could be misleading for the community. Also, there’s always the possibility a Ubisoft-produced Might & Magic X is released in the future...We have no issue however with you continuing the previous storylines or using the pre-Ashan characters. Mentioning the name Might & Magic is also OK as long as the “fan-produced” and “unofficial” nature of the project is obvious.

Well, I have to admit that is pretty cool of them. It's extremely rare that companies don't get butthurt to the extreme when someone uses one of their valauble IPs, especially one that is successful and has games being released to this day. Even Sierra (or whoever owns it now) C&D'd the King's Quest sequel when there hadn't been a game in the series in over 10 years. Maybe those fangames are safe afterall; I was particularly looking forward to the Xeen-inspired one made in RPGMaker, which looked surprisingly good.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
IronicNeurotic : they have clearly said something like this, it's not an interpretation, i'm sure of it but would not bother finding the source. So believe me or not.

It's not that I don't believe you, but they said the opposite a lot and recently as well. (Including mentioning they would like to do publisher products (especially because of licenses) + hardcore games alongside each other)

That's why it's weird to me.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

I hope they got that in legally binding writing.

Stabwound

Arcane
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.ph...47234b65e3a0&p=7917735&viewfull=1#post7917735

"Heroes Kingdoms, Clash of Heroes… Ubi seems to capitalize on the “Heroes” name. What are the chances to see one day a real Might&Magic X desperately wanted by the fans?"

Player Experience Manager said:
For Ubi, M&M is now an umbrella brand, which will be therefore more associated to a identifiable and indentified universe, to “commandments” or “values”, more than to a specific game line-up.
About that, we have decided with the strategic marketing team of Ubi to unify all titles on a world wild level and to name them M&M blabla instead of blabla of M&M.

The M&M tag becomes therefore for our fans and players the guaranty of a heroic fantasy universe, incredibly rich and profound for all the games series.

But, to answer the question, it does not mean that there’ll never be a RPG Might&Magic. Only that it won’t be called M&M X.
Then, what will make it different from the 3DO M&M, only future will tell…

Although that quote is from 2009, it's supposedly from Erwan Le Breton, the guy who heads M&M and worked on the last 5-6 games in the "franchise." It doesn't mean much; I'm just bored and trolling around for any possible info. :smug:

jewboy

Arbiter
Does anyone know who did the design work at NWC? I liked M&M strictly for the combat, which just felt right. I'd love to see those guys start a kickstarter project, but not for M&M. For something new.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom