Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Might & Magic X Teased by Ubisoft, To Be Revealed at PAX East

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Which system, I might add, sucks! I never understood what's the appeal of grid based movement. I can tolerate it, Grimrock is awesome as it is, but if I had to choose, I would choose free movement, and only using grids during battles.

Well, it may help mapping dungeons, although I doubt that M&M X won't have an all-seeing automap.
Mapping dungeons in a graph paper also sucks, it was a technical limitation of the time and it should stay dead forever.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
What does "grid based" actually mean?

In this case, that the movement during exploration uses a bi-dimensional grid instead of free movement. Like in older M&M games.
Which system, I might add, sucks! I never understood what's the appeal of grid based movement. I can tolerate it, Grimrock is awesome as it is, but if I had to choose, I would choose free movement, and only using grids during battles.
The step-based movement makes movement clearer. When you move a square enemies move one too.

Also reminds me of an actual RPG and not a 4-headed duke nukem.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

In this case, that the movement during exploration uses a bi-dimensional grid instead of free movement. Like in older M&M games.
The step-based movement makes movement clearer. When you move a square enemies move one too.

That's why I said that for combat it is ok to use it.

Xavier0889

Learned

Well, it may help mapping dungeons, although I doubt that M&M X won't have an all-seeing automap.
Mapping dungeons in a graph paper also sucks, it was a technical limitation of the time and it should stay dead forever.

But I enjoyed keeping a larpy notebook journal written by myself :(
I remember being scared shitless playing the first Wizardry, without knowing wtf was I doing in that dungeon. I was used to automapping and other popamole stuff :D

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
:incline:

However, they should have gone full old skool and allowed 6 pcs and custom char gen for all, instead of new fag popamole generating one PC and 3 companions (with gay story ofcourse) max.

EDIT: Holy Moley, you do generate your entire party! The official website confirms this! Incredible! Still not 6 pcs...but 4 custom gen'd pcs is still awesome. Fuck, I hope there are personalities like in wiz 8. And the graphics look amazing. Cell shaded kinda, like WoW but better. Termendous :incline:

http://might-and-magic.ubi.com/mightandmagicx-legacy/en-US/home/index.aspx

I do believe we have Grimrock and Kickstarter to thank for this! I also believe we will soon, sometime this year see Wizardry 9 announced (Brenda + Siroteks are probably running around trying to make this happen) Who knows, it might feature Stones of Arnhem stuff in it. It could even be a Kickstarter.

Grimoire has some competition comin' up. :smug:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fun fact, the M&M games were the first RPGs to have automapping and questlogs. :)

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Thanks for letting me know.
She's wrong actually. Phantasie was the first automap (well the dungeon exploration interface itself WAS the automap) and IIRC Magic Candle 2 had the first quest log (could be wrong there though). MM2 was the first of the series to automap, 3 years after Phantasie, and MM3 was the first one to use the quest log, but that was 1991 already.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist

It also makes exploration clearer, being able to know you searched a given area because you're either there or not, as opposed to free movement where you have an arbitrary number of degrees of proximity and angles of approach. If I'm trying to fiddle with say, a statue, I'll know right away in a grid system whether it was possible or not. In free movement I'll have to dick around from all sides looking for switches in it's crotch or whatever.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I wonder if we will be able to beat up cripples and lepers and mad peasants in this Might & Magic, like the good old days.

Good old times, when the choice of eating roasted peasant at the tavern had consequences:
mm2_097.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom