Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

millennia

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
CPrompt Games contains many devs who worked on Call To Power, you may notice elements from those games like the annoying battle screen. However this really isn't any more of a Civ clone than Old World, also Paradox is publisher, not dev.

Heh, I kind of liked the idea of the battle screen in CTP, but it barely served any purpose (yes, you needed something to put in front of your artillery, and flanking worked best if you had enough units to cover center and flanks, but that was about it.
Is it any different here?

This one looks actually more interesting than its recent competitors, and I kind of liked CTP, apart from its special non military units nonsense (I mean, who dreamt about making wars with televangelists and lawyers? ).

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Notably obsessive Civ players generally will probably suck at the game because they don't space their cities out enough and they try to send out settlers too fast.
Which makes sense, right?
But why would anyone see that as a negative? "Game that isn't Civ demands somewhat different strategies than Civ" ... yeah, wow, incredible :lol:
Leana Hafer pitched a fucking fit that she couldn't chop down trees until Age 9. Now you actually can do it as early as Age 5 but still, that's such a dumb complaint. Just people who can't accept that the game isn't Civ. She probably likes Civ 5 as her fav Civ. All the people saying the dumbest shit have ended up being Civ 5 zombies. The worst of all the Civs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Humans cant do reviews anymore, especially not for 4x or longform games.

Noone pays them more than a couple of coffees and a bag of peanuts which is worth about 30 minutes work; so the writer takes a look at half the title, eats breakfast and shaves while they flick through one playthough at most on the easiest difficulty and then writes a review - and they are still getting the short end of the stick. If it aint in the tutorial how they gonna know? They need to write another 10 reviews this week and go to their other two jobs or they aint making rent.

They arent going to learn the game or actually play it 'as a gamer', even though I assume some might want to. Theyve got to fight off half a dozen other hungry beggars with an arts degree with one hand while they at it.
Well Leana Hafer played BG3 for like 150-200 fucking hours before giving it a 10/10 because she "wanted to finish a whole run and give the game the time it deserved". Also Millennia was designed specifically to make her hate it. Everything they didn't do that Civ does was a thing she specifically is obsessed with. No animated Leaders with voice lines for instance.

launch is not going well...

Other than looking ugly as ♥♥♥♥, playing it was a chore... Barbarian camps spawn every turn, every single turn making you unable to scout out of your city, they also spawn in tiles you have scouted, that means that they spawn infront of you. Camps just pop in your sight.

The game also has no options, none
Want to disable barbarians? No
Want to increase resources? No
Want to change the difficulty? No

The game is so barebones they might as well have just called this a demo too

this looks like the worst civlike ever.

As it stands right now there are no speed settings or World gen settings you can not change resource spawn settings. These are very basic features the game should either be EA or have at launch.

edit: 3 minutes in, this definitely feels like the worst civlike ever.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oof, that does not sound too great.
Why would you launch in such a rough and barebones state?

I'm fine with barbarians being a constant threat in early game - in Civilization they can basically be ignored once you deal with the nest (hell, even if you don't), and that's very easy to do.
It was already said that this isn't Civ so playing it exactly like Civ and expecting that to work is just prime stupidity.

But a total lack of options in a game like this is ... odd.
Multiplayer via hotseat only - while having proper multiplayer listed in the Steam store but it's just "feature coming soon"? Now that's just a scummy move.

Seems to me that a big chunk of negative reviews are just bozos trying to play Civ and failing, then blaming the game.
But all other points, incl lack of proper tutorial especially since this isn't just Civ, are valid.

Definitely agree this should have been early access.
Great thing I didn't go for it right away, then :lol:

Last edited:
alright, let's put my beloved hyperboles aside. the game is barebone, it feels like mobile shit options-side. it takes some turns but then it opens up a lot of stuff (which, by paradox standards, is probably going to be shallow as a puddle, but still that's something). the problem is: the interface is torture. the endless 4x established a completely new level of style and usability, and this game has been built like endless legend and space have never existed. the fonts are minuscule, the buttons are tiny, the units are microscopic, just in a couple instances right click translates to "go back", it's either chasing an x on the other side of the monitor or pressing esc. the way combat is played and shown is pure suffering, you're forced through those badly drawn badly animated tin men, and there's no side widget which resumes for you everything important that happened between turns.
it's all mana based. mana for this, mana for that, mana mana mana. mahna mahna. there's mana counters scattered everywhere on screen, and every turn it takes a deep and slow check to analyze every barely readable number to see if you can build something new. on one hand, they got rid of workers, on the other hand "i earned some worker mana, i have 10, let's build... oh, i actually need 11" no way to know without manually going in there or remembering beforehand, but 20 minutes in you already have 10-15 different improvement with different costs to keep track of.
graphics are basic, music might be there but it did nothing to be remembered, sounds are quite annoying.
what personally i just can't forgive is the lack of world map (civ games MUST be played on world map with true starting locations. it's imperative) and, most of all, lack of speed selector. growing a civilization is supposed to be a titanic effort, here everything is ready in an instant, there's no space to overtech anyone and upgrading units doesn't need money, just no way to leave anyone behind.
humankind is still waaaaay worse than this, but this game takes the cake for being completely unfun to be interacted with.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
launch is not going well...

Other than looking ugly as ♥♥♥♥, playing it was a chore... Barbarian camps spawn every turn, every single turn making you unable to scout out of your city, they also spawn in tiles you have scouted, that means that they spawn infront of you. Camps just pop in your sight.

The game also has no options, none
Want to disable barbarians? No
Want to increase resources? No
Want to change the difficulty? No

The game is so barebones they might as well have just called this a demo too

this looks like the worst civlike ever.

As it stands right now there are no speed settings or World gen settings you can not change resource spawn settings. These are very basic features the game should either be EA or have at launch.

edit: 3 minutes in, this definitely feels like the worst civlike ever.
People who complain about barbarians are just morons. Sorry. Just extremely ignorable.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Oof, that does not sound too great.
Why would you launch in such a rough and barebones state?

I'm fine with barbarians being a constant threat in early game - in Civilization they can basically be ignored once you deal with the nest (hell, even if you don't), and that's very easy to do.
It was already said that this isn't Civ so playing it exactly like Civ and expecting that to work is just prime stupidity.

But a total lack of options in a game like this is ... odd.
Multiplayer via hotseat only - while having proper multiplayer listed in the Steam store but it's just "feature coming soon"? Now that's just a scummy move.

Seems to me that a big chunk of negative reviews are just bozos trying to play Civ and failing, then blaming the game.
But all other points, incl lack of proper tutorial especially since this isn't just Civ, are valid.

Definitely agree this should have been early access.
Great thing I didn't go for it right away, then :lol:
The game has legitimate problems, I'd say 7.5/10, but so many reviews are just dumb people sucking.

i tried to give it another chance. maps feel tiny because even at max size i always meet another player in 10 tiles from capital or less. everything is so damn cramped i have space for only an outpost or two. max size, 8, EIGHT players, not 20-30 like in civ4, EIGHT, and maps are suffucatingly cramped. something is so damn wrong. still too fast, still uninteresting. uninstalled and deleted. and hell, even megashitty unplayable ultradisaster "between the stars" is still on my hd waiting for another attempt.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
i tried to give it another chance. maps feel tiny because even at max size i always meet another player in 10 tiles from capital or less. everything is so damn cramped i have space for only an outpost or two. max size, 8, EIGHT players, not 20-30 like in civ4, EIGHT, and maps are suffucatingly cramped. something is so damn wrong. still too fast, still uninteresting. uninstalled and deleted. and hell, even megashitty unplayable ultradisaster "between the stars" is still on my hd waiting for another attempt.
Sounds like a skill issue. You should be able to settle multiple cities that will eventually hit 75 tiles on a huge map even with 8 people.

Anomander

Educated
I've played for a few hours (I am still in early stages) and I have fun. It plays differently from Civilization and you need to be aware of that. The points about lack of customization and weird UI are valid, but I can get used to it. The barbarians are strong, but you need to plan for that. When you have some units there are no longer a problem. And conquering their camps gives a huge bonus (e.g.: +2 pops in closest city). Exploration is very important and bonuses from tribal villages (I am not sure how they are called here) are larger than anything else, so early game you need to explore with some strong units.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Your other points about the games UI and graphical issues are valid.

But every single post you make about gameplay just boils down to "WAAAAAHHHH THIS ISN'T LIKE CIV".
Just take a step back, maybe :lol:

kris

Arcane
I tried it a bit. I think the design choices are interesting and different enough for another experience compared to civ.

What I really agree with MadMaxHellfire is the lack of customization, you can pretty much only chose between tiny map and medium map and how much the AI cheat, with two starts they felt eeringly alike.

I am still to early to make any real comment though, it certainly give illusion of chocie, not clear if those choices make any real difference.

game starts with two units, walk them 10 paces in random direction, already meet another player. "it's a skill issue". you guys are seriously retarded.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Man, i really can't be arsed to find and do all those resources combo in those very confusing titles, need some icon and arrow on connection/resource to keep track.

And my god, the dumbass plague wack a mole... spare me plz.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Man, i really can't be arsed to find and do all those resources combo in those very confusing titles, need some icon and arrow on connection/resource to keep track.

Lol who gets caught in a plague. Git gud bro.

Nirvash

Liturgist

Dude i even had the damn extra sanitation on burial ground, can't get more than that.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

Dude i even had the damn extra sanitation on burial ground, can't get more than that.
Middens give +4 base and +4 more if worked for 32 IP. Also you can build Aqueducts for 5 Sanitation as a City Building.

Nirvash

Liturgist

Middens give +4 base and +4 more if worked for 32 IP. Also you can build Aqueducts for 5 Sanitation as a City Building.
I did not even have the tech for those when plague happened.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer

I did not even have the tech for those when plague happened.
What? Did you not take Infrastructure or w/e it is in the Age Of Iron/Heroes/Blood? Skill issue.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom