Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interstellar

Literate
Being playing WoW for a while and recently started to look into a whole new life with a whole new MMO. Strange as it may sound but I am one of the few who actually enjoyed crafting in WOW. So I started to look up for some popular MMORPGs with a fullfledged crafting system. I made this guide for the players who share this obsession.

EverQuest 2

In EverQuest 2 crafters are divided into 9 different crafting classes: Carpenter, Provisioner, Woodworker, Outfitter, Weaponsmith, Armorer, Scholar, Alchemist, Jeweler and Sage.

All players start at level 1 as Artisans which is a basic crafting class, then at level 10 you choose your crafting archetype: Craftsman, Outfitter or Scholar. Then at level 20 you choose your final destiny: the final crafting class.

Three secondary classes are also available. The items players can craft divide into three groups: Handcrafted, Mastercrafted and Mastercrafted Fabled. Handcrafted items are generally made out of easy to harvest materials. Mastercrafted gear is produced by mix of common items and rare materials. Mastercrafted Fabled items are considered very rare and are usually better than legendary items. It is basically advised to choose a crafting class that corresponds to your adventurer class.

Final Fantasy XIV

Crafting in FFXIV is almost a game on its own and that’s why it has so many fans. Classes here are called Disciples of the Hand and are available after you reach level 10: Carpenter, Blacksmith, Armorer, Goldsmith, Leatherworker, Weaver, Alchemist and Culinarian. In FFXIV they are poorly suited for combat, so generally, it is better to stay in the safe zone while performing crafting. While the whole system may seem a little bit tricky from the start, it is actually fun and may make you fabulously wealthy, since players in FFXIV really tend to buy crafted gear.

Elder Scrolls Online

Seven crafting professions, you are not limited to stay just in one and can choose to specialize in a few. Similarly to other TES games, items in ESO are created on the crafting stations. Each type of them can be found in a particular type of store, so you’d better look for alchemy station in apothecary, however, cooking stations are often met in inns and camps. Crafting here is pretty rewarding and some of the best gear may be created this way.

Lineage 2 Classic

Crafting in Lineage 2 may seem a little complicated from the beginning. Nevertheless, the idea of player-driven economy where only a certain class is able to craft has been pretty unusual from the start. To become a crafter you need to create a dwarf, choose Warsmith class, and level him up. Make money now. There are some ways best suited for a greedy dwarf: selling blessed spiritshots and soulshots, selling crystals or selling gear. And of course, you can craft for other players too. Just open your private shop and let people craft their gear for their money.

EVE Online

Crafting here is called manufacturing and considered to be one of the most complex (and yet inspiring) system in MMOs. Literally the kind of game that makes you run Excel tables at the same time just to craft. You start with the simple ore, create dozen of intermediate products and voila! Have fun with your final product! Some big projects, like ships, require at least 50 basic resource and hundreds of people to work on them. That is why the most efficient production is carried out by the big corporations where members specialize in a particular crafting skill. Well, the harsh truth – it is an industry that fuels the war machine.

Did I miss something? Which MMORPG you favour for the crafting system?

Norfleet

Someday I want to see an MMO that uses a crafting system like Factorio's.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I don’t think I’ve played enough mmos to comment. Only two that I’ve played had crafting I attempted. Euotopia and Aion. I didn’t mind the gathering and stuff in Aion but the spots were spawned in set areas. Euotopia youcan find crap anywhere but crafting gets limited after a while. At least I GMd all the crafting in that game. Aion I never got past the lvl 40 tier for the gathering alone and crafting I was too impatient for.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Elder Scrolls Online

Seven crafting professions, you are not limited to stay just in one and can choose to specialize in a few. Similarly to other TES games, items in ESO are created on the crafting stations. Each type of them can be found in a particular type of store, so you’d better look for alchemy station in apothecary, however, cooking stations are often met in inns and camps. Crafting here is pretty rewarding and some of the best gear may be created this way.

But it is timegated to holy high fuck which makes you want to end the lives of many cute furry woodland animals.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Sadly, two MMORPGs with absolutely best crafting are dead - Vanguard and Star Wars Galaxies. Final Fantasy 14 lifted its crafting from Vanguard where it was also essentially its own game with levels, progression, gear, etc so I guess it would be the one with best modern crafting.

Jokzore

Arbiter
The ones that never added it in the first place.

... fuck crafting.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Final Fantasy XIV crafting and gathering system made me stay in the MMO. Tried WoW during Warlords of Draenor, only played for the first month. Tried Star Wars: TOR, played only for a month. Elder Scrolls? A month. While on FFXIV I'm on my third month and I don't seem to get bored with it. Still thinking in work "I should start my Twinsilk production to get some money or yellow scrips, man, but I don't have enough time today... I will just do dailies when I get home and maybe craft some provisions... or levies, better check those, need to level my other crafters. Wait, is this Tuesday? CUSTOM DELIVERIES TIME! YEEHAW!"

deama

Prophet
In mortal online there weren't any recipes so all the players had to figure out what works best. E.g. as a sword smith you could make the blade out of wood, the handle out of steel, and the crossguard out of bronze; though obviously that'd be shit. Players had to experiment and figure out that tungsten would work best for the blade, a wooden crossguard and handle; though if you made the sword heavier (use tungsten throughout) then it'd make it slower but do more damage. There were also different types of wood, so some types would give better durability but be heavier etc...

DarkTruth777

Barely Literate
Hi all, new here, but in all honesty, one of the best crafting systems of all time, (imo), was Rubies of Eventide. Although a good portion of the system wasn't finished when the game went down for good, it was by far the most enjoyable of the many mmo's I've played since 2003. If you're interested this link goes to an old fansite with the info. http://www.tman.be/roe/ Only 4 types were finished, with about 6 tiers of progression each, but it was very good.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Hi all, new here, but in all honesty, one of the best crafting systems of all time, (imo), was Rubies of Eventide. Although a good portion of the system wasn't finished when the game went down for good, it was by far the most enjoyable of the many mmo's I've played since 2003. If you're interested this link goes to an old fansite with the info. http://www.tman.be/roe/ Only 4 types were finished, with about 6 tiers of progression each, but it was very good.
Don't see any info on that site other than a few numbers that don't tell me anything without context. What was the system like, how was it different from standard ones?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom