Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Monks: A Guide to Punching!

Sjukob

Arcane
Motherless tiefling feral mutagen vivisectionist/sorcerer/dragon disciple abomination is the answer for unarmed sneaky bastard.

Sjukob

Arcane
Oh yeah I remember that one in the steam thread.
Only recently I started to realise that vivisectionist is so strong that it's stupid, is there a single martial role he can't do ? I think you can even build him as an archer and it would be great.

wait do the bite attack stack? Sjukob I don't remember if they stack or not.
I'm currently playing monk/sorcerer/dragon disciple motherless tiefling, bites from motherless liniage and dragon disciple class do stack, can't speak for feral mutagen though. What inspired me to play this build is seeing playthrough of this guy with the exact same class. Skip to 17:36 if timestamp doesn't load.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Only recently I started to realise that vivisectionist is so strong that it's stupid, is there a single martial role he can't do ? I think you can even build him as an archer and it would be great.
Yeah, vivi is a meme for a reason in the build making circles for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. The class is stupid.

Absinthe

Arcane
Sjukob Monks just feel better to play, in my opinion. Once you get the power feats, you're left with an array of utility feats to pick. Flurry of blows + monks innate passives to unarmed, will carry you through. Again, I can not over state just how powerful flurry of blows is.
Sure, but you can also melee as an unarmed Fighter, Slayer, or Ranger and pulverize everything while throwing Two-Weapon Fighting feats on top. You can also do it as a Crusader Cleric (worship Irori for free Improved Unarmed Strike) with Divine Favor and Righteous Might, as an Inquisitor, as a Paladin, as a Barbarian, as an Alchemist, as a Magus, as a Rogue, and as a Bard (be sure to collect your Arcane Strike on top of your Inspire Courage or Archaeologist's Luck). You can even do it as a Druid, Arcane Trickster, or a Dragon Disciple. And obviously as an Eldritch Knight.

So really, there's no good reason to do this as a Monk, especially since many other classes can contribute more useful feats, wear armor, and add attack and damage bonuses from their class to their attacks and a number of these classes will contribute more options than just their fists too. The only good part is the extremely high touch AC and saving throws (if you are playing as a Traditional Monk).

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think that a monk has a nice RP motive for the true ending. A guy in tattered robes walks in Jamandi mansion, becomes a baron, destroys all the curses, and bangs the one true Kingmaker. And then he spends the rest of his days beating the pole with hands and feet while the Kingmaker rules the kingdom.
There is some deep Tao here. Also, our Protagonist is a man without past as in good old Hong kong fighting movies.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Guide for a CHA based monk
STR Based, because STR benefits from the power attack + dragon style synergy. Which, inadvertently, does more damage than a DEX monk.
Getting the stats to work is very tricky. The best races to pick: Human(Extra Feat is just that good), Aasimar, and Tiefling(Tieflings actually get some nice passives, so not too bad). General idea of where you want stats to be:
For strength you want at least 18.
For dexterity you should shoot for 14 at the very least.
Constitution is very important. Minimum is 12, if you can, shoot for 14.
Intelligence is a dump stat, dump it.
Even though you don't benefit from wisdom, you still need it for will saves. Get it to 12 and supplement with iron will + improved iron will + shake it off (Other party members need to get this feat too, in order to get the most out of it.)
For charisma, you want at least 16-18.
Example:
Human:
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 7
WIS 12
CHA 16

Aasimar(Angle-Blooded):
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 7
WIS 12
CHA 18

Tiefling(Multiple options here. Motherless, for bite attack. Pitborn, for +2 racial bonus to confirm critcal hits. Shackleborn, for +1 to AC. Really just pick the one with the passive you like. For this demonstration I will be using a Pitborn):
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 5
WIS 12
CHA 18

Recommended Feats(If you reach a point where you don't know which feats to pick, go for utility based feats.):
Power Attack (Get this and Dragon Style at level 1.)
Dragon Style
Dodge
Toughness
Deflect Arrows
Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
Combat Reflexes (Required for AoO stacking.)
Improved Initiative
Iron Will
Improved Iron Will
Blind Fight
Greater Blind Fight
Critical Focus
Dragon Ferocity
Hammer the Gap
Improved Critical
Outflank
Shake it Off
Seize the moment

Multi classing options(I suggest multi classing once you get 3 levels into monk):
4 levels into vivisectionist for mutagen + sneak attack die + medical discovery.
2 levels paladin for Divine Grace.
3 Levels into Fighter for additional feats, and for weapon specialization(Only gives two damage, but maybe worth it for you)

Example build:
Race: Human
Class: Scaled Fist 20
Stats:
STR 18
DEX 14
CON 12
INT 7
WIS 12
CHA 16

Leve 1 Feats - Dragon Style + Power Attack + Toughness
Level 2 Feats - Dodge (You can choose combat reflexes if you want to get Outflank at level 5)
Level 3 Feats - Deflect Arrows
Level 4 + 1 to STR
Level 5 Feats - Dragon Ferocity
Level 6 Feats - Combat Reflexes
Level 7 Feats - Outflank
Level 8 +1 to STR
Level 9 Feats - Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
Level 10 Feats - Improved Initiative

Level 11 Feats - Hammer the Gap
Level 12 + 1 to STR
Level 13 Feats - Improved Critical (Unarmed)
Level 14 Feats - Blind Fight
Level 15 Feats - Shake it Off
Level 16 + 1 to STR
Leve 17 Feats - Iron Will
Level 18 Feats - Dragon Roar or Trip
Level 19 Feats - Improved Iron Will
Level 20 + 1 to INT

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Pure Monk build:
Class: Monk (Base)
Stats:
STR 19
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 7
WIS 16
CHA 7

Level 1: Feats: Power Attack, Toughness, Dodge. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 2: Feats: Deflect Arrows. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 3: Feats: Dragon Style. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 4: + 1 STR. KI Power: Bark Skin. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 5: Feats: Dragon Ferocity. Monk Style: Hammer Blow. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 6: Feats: Combat Reflexes. KI Power: True Strike. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 7: Feats: Outflank. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 8: + 1 STR. KI Power: Abundant Step. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 9: Feats: Weapon Focus(Unarmed). Monk Style: Shattering Punch. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 10: Feats: Improve Critical(Unarmed). KI Power: Restoration. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 11: Feats: Seize the moment. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 12: + 1 STR. KI Power: Diamond Body. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 13: Feats: Hammer the Gap. Monk Style: Defensive Spin. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 14: Feats: Improved Initiative. KI Power: Diamond Soul. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 15: Feats: Shake it Off. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 16: + 1 STR. KI Power Quivering Palm. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 17: Feats: Iron Will. Monk Style: Leg Sweep. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 18: Feats: Improved Blind Fight. KI Power: Cold Ice Strike. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 19: Feats: Improved Iron Will. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 20: + 1 STR. Doesn't really mater what you pick for the last KI power. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Last edited:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Unfair Monk build:
Tested on DLC dungeon
Difficulty: Unfair
Floors: 1-35
Stats:
STR 19
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 7
WIS 16
CHA 7

Level 1: Feats: Power Attack, Toughness, Dodge. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 2: Feats: Deflect Arrows. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 3: Feats: Dragon Style. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 4: + 1 STR. KI Power: Bark Skin. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 5: Feats: Dragon Ferocity. Monk Style: Hammer Blow. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 6: Feats: Combat Reflexes. KI Power: True Strike. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 7: Feats: Outflank. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 8: + 1 STR. KI Power: Abundant Step. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 9: Feats: Weapon Focus(Unarmed). Monk Style: Shattering Punch. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 10: Feats: Improve Critical(Unarmed). KI Power: Restoration. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 11: Feats: Seize the moment. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 12: + 1 STR. KI Power: Diamond Body. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 13: Feats: Hammer the Gap. Monk Style: Defensive Spin. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 14: Feats: Improved Initiative. KI Power: Diamond Soul. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 15: Feats: Shake it Off. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 16: + 1 STR. KI Power Quivering Palm. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 17: Feats: Iron Will. Monk Style: Leg Sweep. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 18: Feats: Improved Blind Fight. KI Power: Cold Ice Strike. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
Level 19: Feats: Improved Iron Will. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.

Level 20: + 1 STR. Doesn't really mater what you pick for the last KI power. Skills: +1 Mobility, +1 Perception.
This is that build, but level 19:
3EkpxXL.png
5MZNVjm.png
18nLtH6.png
Gear for the curious:
Head slot: Faultless Protection
Cape slot: Cloak of Resistance +6
Ring slot: Ring of law
Ring slot: Fortunate Fencer
Brace slot: Bracers of Armor +7
Amulet slot: Amulet of Mighty Fists +4
Armor: None
Belt: Belt of Physical Perfection +6
Gloves: Manticore's Claws
Boots: Opportunist's Boots

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
>Charsheet of the monk at 20?
Here:
Without gear:
arkvJd3.png
With gear:
Mo8Z9Iq.png
With buffs:
Az3Wpyj.png

>Doesn't he get some cool bonuses
Kind of, at level 20 monk gains a passive called "Perfect Self". This allows him to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonchaotic weapon. He also gains DR 10/chaotic.

>an increase in fist damage?
Nah.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
Just out of curiosity, is the character's name supposed to be "Wyrm Fist"?

On an unrelated note, I think Dirk the Paladin should be a rogue or something.
Ya. He is a wrym man. He was supposed to be a scaled fist, but I accidentally forgot about that build.

>Dirk the Paladin
Dirk is a reference from somewhere that I forgot :D

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Any gear I should make a beeline for during any specific chapter? I just found some +4 bracers during the troll act.

Maybe a recommended gear update? (I'm gonna try not to cheese and get the stuff from the lich straight away.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom