Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Monks: A Guide to Punching!

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hex Strike sounds utterly ridiculous...
If you know how Hexes work, yep, they're basically free action now as they blam on the attack. Or if I needed a guarantee I can just use it regularly.

However, I have to buy on feat for each Hex I want to use Hex Strike with.

Of course since I have Pummeling Bully I can't tell if I tripped or they went Slumbered. Yay for action economy. (Also it's not monk unarmed damage)

There's an Oracle Revelation that does "Oracular Spellstrike" - spellstrike with divine powers. It's not in Kingmaker tho.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hex Strike sounds utterly ridiculous...

You have to have both a Hex and an Unarmed Strike, which means also needing Feral Combat Training if you want to fight in Dragon Form or to use Animal a totem Claws from Skald and Feral needs Weapon Focus for each Natural Weapon so can get expensive.

There’s a Cleric and a Wizard that both have Hexes too, and Wizard also unlocks Knowledge is Power.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>You have to have both a Hex and an Unarmed Strike
The requirements for it are high, yeah. But it sounds like the benefits outweigh the costs. I'm assuming this is in Wrath of the Righteous? Haven't being playing much of the Beta - so I'm not sure, and I don't remember. Don't know what Hexes made it in, or if they'll add more in the release version. However, this gives me some good ideas for monk builds in Wrath.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
This is from Call of the Wild. Main Hex classes are Witch and Shaman but there are variants of other classes that have them. Shaman is WIS based so goes more naturally with Monk. Can also splash Monk for Divine Scourge Cleric.

Costs aren't that high if you're not trying to use natural attax, although any splash is a bigger cost than it looks. You can always just take the Feat or I think Dirty Fighting and not go Monk at all for like Hagbound Witch or something.

Absinthe

Arcane
My "LARP limit" for respeccing allows for changing of stat bonuses, so I can start her with Str 16, or even Dual Talent. I just never touch the numbers.

Battle Oracle reach control.
Well if you're fucking with full respec mods obviously any character can be any build.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
My "LARP limit" for respeccing allows for changing of stat bonuses, so I can start her with Str 16, or even Dual Talent. I just never touch the numbers.

Battle Oracle reach control.
Well if you're fucking with full respec mods obviously any character can be any build.
Can't, have to put a limit some point between creative insanity and difficulty.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
>You have to have both a Hex and an Unarmed Strike
The requirements for it are high, yeah. But it sounds like the benefits outweigh the costs. I'm assuming this is in Wrath of the Righteous? Haven't being playing much of the Beta - so I'm not sure, and I don't remember. Don't know what Hexes made it in, or if they'll add more in the release version. However, this gives me some good ideas for monk builds in Wrath.
Hex Strike is only available to archetypes that have Hexes as a feature. I don't think any Monks are because, yeah, Monk fist damage + Hex Strike would be crazy OP.

I'm just a Hexcrafter Magus, so I have puny base damage (1d6) but arcane enchantment still works (sadly no sparklies), and the reason I went unarmed is to get Pummeling Charge (pounce). It just happens to be that Pummeling Bully is a free trip every time you hit them.

So, sometimes when I'll full attacking I'm Hex Striking with Slumber and Spellstriking and Swift Action Tripping which provokes me Viciously Stomping on their balls AOO during Spell Combat, with 3d6 arcane enchanted elemental damage. The only thing I can't do is Flurry because that's a Full Round Action and Spell Combat is a Full Round Action.

I honestly, seriously, did not theorycraft this. I just thought it might be funny. To be doing this in heavy armor hahahaha

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
>Sometimes when I'll full attacking I'm Hex Striking with Slumber and Spellstriking and Swift Action Tripping which provokes me Viciously Stomping on their balls AOO during Spell Combat
Dude. That's fucking nuts. What the hell. Holy shit.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
>Sometimes when I'll full attacking I'm Hex Striking with Slumber and Spellstriking and Swift Action Tripping which provokes me Viciously Stomping on their balls AOO during Spell Combat
Dude. That's fucking nuts. What the hell. Holy shit.
Yeah. I didn't plan this btw. I was calculating what would happen in a full attack and basically that. Improved Unarmed Strike without the Flurry, and without going over 1d6 base damage.

But when you can enchant your weapons by at least 3d6 lol..

Yeah, I'm seriously gonna find some side-grade build bc this is ridiculous. Again, I'm in Medium Armor, I can cast, and I can paunch.

OH shit. One of my Oracle's abilities is "Forceful Strike." Fortitude fail = you get knocked back.

To be honest, they fucked up Monks because they never learned how significant pounces are. (Edit: Actually, I should say had they done TB at first then they need that Kick pounce. In RTWP I can see why they don't have it highly prioritized. I still think there's a lot of potential if RTWP was approached strictly as RTWP in mind, which means Pillars was horse shit) How significant it is that you can get move towards an enemy AND your all your iteratives (Otherwise it's just your Standard Attack). The thing is, in PNP there is a Style Strike called "Ki Kick" or something, which launches you forward. Unfortunately not in game. Edit: And I'm essentially doing what people used to do, before that Kick pounce - I'm using Pummeling Charge. Same-ish thing but I can use a different style.

See, ranged characters don't have to worry about moving to another character. You'll see a lot more iteratives from archers than from a fighter. Even worse is if you're TWF because your damage per hit is lower than a two-hander, and you don't get iteratives.

Hopefully 2e took a look at this issue. In the mean time, I'm dearly waiting to hit level 11 so I can make a Dawnflower Dervish fighter and FINALLY go nuts.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Seperate thread for WOTR? Curious on the monks there. Search didn't reveal a thread on Monks in other games. Kind of sad.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, there are new monk archetypes. Sohei is dope!

Too bad mounted combat is still dysfunctional.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom