Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Monks: A Guide to Punching!

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
What is your advice on making Valerie a Monk?
Never tried her as a monk. But based on what I am looking at she might serve as a decent Scaled Fist.
What about a bardic monk?
Sensei? Her will is too low for it though..
Not Fist+Bard?
I was thinking of Sensei for some reason. Yeah I guess fist + bard can work. Maybe 2 archeologist and 4 DD? I have no idea how this build will work. Like I said, I never tried her as monk.

FriendlyMerchant

What is your advice on making Valerie a Monk?
Never tried her as a monk. But based on what I am looking at she might serve as a decent Scaled Fist.
What about a bardic monk?
Sensei? Her will is too low for it though..
Not Fist+Bard?
I was thinking of Sensei for some reason. Yeah I guess fist + bard can work. Maybe 2 archeologist and 4 DD? I have no idea how this build will work. Like I said, I never tried her as monk.
Other than a meme. It seems like there is no reason to go monk with her unless you're doing it for free feats or if you want to make her a dodge tank.

Erikkolai

Learned
Would it be fair to say that people who single-dip into the Monk class are the niggers of the monk community?

:philosoraptor:

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Would it be fair to say that people who single-dip into the Monk class are the niggers of the monk community?

:philosoraptor:
Really makes you think. There are cases where its necessary on Unfair. For example, Valerie needs to have high AC in order to carry you through early Unfair. Dipping one level to get crane style is preferable instead of burning two feats.

ekrolo2

Learned
Thanks for making these guides, love the Monk class and I'm going Scaled Fist for the first playthrough.

Absinthe

Arcane
Even if you make Valeria a Scaled Fist Monk (which scales off of Charisma instead of Wis), Valerie would still be shit because her strength, dexterity, and charisma are too low to sustain decent AC or decent attack as a Monk. You'd be better off making her a Kinetic Knight.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I doubt she's gonna pull her weight in chapter 1 if you want to make her a scaled fist tank. Too little gear for her to make her AC stand out plus bad damage.

Val TSS/Vivisectionist only needed full plate+1 and tower shield to get a headstart. +1 ring and necklace. Add in Mutagen+2 AC. Done. And she can even buff up her CON to take more hits. She's set to go at level 2. The 10 min long Mutagen buff makes for better overall momentum. And it will never be obsolete.

There's no high AC brace or robes to help the monk in chapter 1 for Scaled Fist Val to compare to that.

QPwYI2R.png

Last edited:

Ghulgothas

Arcane
This is now a Memorialized Thread. Come one come all, and pay your respects to the Monk That Was (And Will Always Be).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Just an FYI that feral mutagen claws will override unarmed strikes AND the glitch that caused the claws to randomly revert back to unarmed strikes got fixed near the end of 2020.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I'm spellstriking with armor on, not flurrying because I went Master of Many Styles so I could get Pummeling Charge early.

Ironically I'm playing the Hexcrafter Magus, which is one of the archetypes that can use "Hex Strike" - Hexes delivered through punch. Really nice because you have no resource limit on Hexes; instead you only get once chance to Hex a specific Hex on an enemy, if it fails, you can't do that again. But it's a Standard Action so that eats into my action economy, as a Magus.

Best part, I don't have to manually select Hexes because I can just "load" the Hex into Hex Strike and just go to town (I'd need a Feat that specificies which Hex[es]).

Actually, thinking about it now, it's like my unarmed attack would essentially spellstrike the Hex as well as your spell on the same attack. Add in some spell combat.. lol

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Making Val a Monk totally trashes her first level. Is she's not using that Tower Shield or Heavy Armor I'm not on board. There are some good pieces and not many other classes can use them, none as effectively as Val with some TSS levels.

That said Pink Eye's usual Dragon Style Monk is the best base to make Dragon Disciple really shine, especially if you want to fight in Dragon Form.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Even if you make Valeria a Scaled Fist Monk (which scales off of Charisma instead of Wis), Valerie would still be shit because her strength, dexterity, and charisma are too low to sustain decent AC or decent attack as a Monk. You'd be better off making her a Kinetic Knight.
My "LARP limit" for respeccing allows for changing of stat bonuses, so I can start her with Str 16, or even Dual Talent. I just never touch the numbers.

Battle Oracle reach control.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Ironically I'm kicking ass with

Pummeling Bully (Combat)

Your combo has the chance to trip or move your target.

Prerequisite(s): Improved Reposition, Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike, Pummeling Style; base attack bonus +9, brawler level 5th, or monk level 5th.

Benefit: When you use Pummeling Style to make an entire full attack or flurry of blows against a single target, if you hit with any of your attacks, you can attempt a reposition or trip combat maneuver check as a free action.
Funny shit since I have Vicious Stomp (yes, I definitely had that planned beforehand)

And also I have
Hex Strike (Combat)

Chanting and cursing, you put a hex on your enemy as part of your unarmed strike.
Prerequisite: Hex class feature, Improved Unarmed Strike.

Benefit: When you gain this feat, choose one hex that you can use to affect no more than one opponent. If you make a successful unarmed strike against an opponent, in addition to dealing your unarmed strike damage, you can use a swift action to deliver the effects of the chosen hex to that opponent. Doing so does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
So that's just another free addition to my puny 1d6 fists. I'm comboing with Dragon Style via your MoMS. So that's 2 master of many fucks monk/8 hexmaker magus going unarmed. Touch attacks and all that can "become" unarmed strikes so you can Spellstrike with them, you're just finally realizing that flailing your arms around can do violent damage. Only downside is no Flurry.. but Magus isn't a huge BAB class and I stole some BAB from Monk while I was there anyway lol. In a way it just brings it "back to normal" because Flurry basically meant TWF with fists, both of them being Full Attacks, so you can't Spell Combat with Flurry or TWF unless you're a Mindblade or something.

But I do get to Stunning Fist in armor.

I do have to remember to find someone to Enlarge my Person. It's useful. You can almost do that in a cool way with Eldritch Scion (Dragon) and you can Enlarge Person automatically when you rage up. But then you get claws which started throwing me through the blender because I'm trying to think unarmed strikes. Well, decided I didn't want to deal with only being meleebuffed in Scion "Rage" so back to Hexcrafter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom