Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

RatTower, I was digging through my AppData folder the other day and noticed a CrashReportClient folder I wasn't familiar with. Checking through it, it's a bunch of logs that were generated by the Monomyth demo, they contain the OS username, user path and the computer name, though seemingly no other personal info. I don't know whether you're actively using this data for debugging or it's just UE4 doing its thing, but I thought I'd mention it.
UE4 generates those logs. I have never selected any logging, so I'd assume it's a standard configuration.

RatTower For stealth: is there light and shadow gameplay (Thief/Splinter Cell style)?
Yes, Monomyth uses the distance between the player and light sources to calculate the player's visibility.

RatTower, minor quibble, but the bow aiming animation seems to obscure a lot of the centre screen with the arm, your actual target, maybe bring it down a wee bit?

monomyth-archery.jpg
Oh yeah, that's an old animation. I'll polish archery together with stealth.
I took a small detour this week, reworking the spell acquisition. Once I'm done with spells I'll tackle stealth.
I'm a big fan of what you're doing but i think it's time to stop with these teases and demos and just announce the release date and then actually release the game.

I know some or even many people will disagree with me, but here is my rationale: I want to discover the game on my own, and for me to want to do that, the game should evoke a sense of mystery and wonder.

You've shown so much with these demos and teases that the sense of wonder is fading. I feel like I already know the game and there's nothing more to be discovered. Peripetia is another game that has done this to me, to a far larger degree. I'm not even sure I want to play the game on launch, because I've already seen so much (though I will buy the game as soon as it's available to support you).

I understand the need for doings this from a marketing perspective, but I think there should be a finer balance.

Of course, the counter-argument would be for me to just ignore the marketing material, which I have been doing, but that honestly creates a negative feeling in me when I realize there's new marketing material that I should now go out of my way to avoid. I dunno, maybe all this is just a "me issue", but it's genuinely how I see things with these guerilla indie-game marketing campaigns.

Viata

Arcane
I only played the first demo and even that was just a short few moments, because I liked it enough to stop it and wait for the full game. I have not read anything about the game since then.

xuerebx

Erudite
I have not read anything after playing the demo because the email updates are so goddamn long :lol:

But I already bought the game anyway (on Kickstarter) so it evens out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/4021130

Quick Update: The new demo is now live!​

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

Just a short update:
The new demo is now live!

You can find it on the game's Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908360/Monomyth/

A few known issues:

* Atoning for sins is fairly expensive
* There is a rare bug that will stop your stamina from recharging until you take damage
* All characters currently have the standard voice
* Getting off a ladder with a bow will make a water arrow visible on the bow
* In some very rare cases Alvy will return to his spot in the doorway
* Trying to emerge from the water at a certain angle will push you back down
* Looting documents without reading them, and instead directly opening them in the notes menu, may freeze you in menu mode when you try closing your inventory

If you find any other issues, please feel free to share your feedback in the dedicated Steam forums thread:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/908360/discussions/0/4201364142752857503/

I hope you will enjoy the demo and best wishes,
Michael

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm never sure why people who check out every bit of marketing on a game get upset that they saw too much of a game. I usually check enough to form an opinion on purchasing and then more or less media blackout. I read this thread more or less and skim the KS updates. That's about it.

Hopefully it's cool when it comes out, but I don't need to spoil myself by watching stuff or volunteer alpha testing.

JDR13

Arcane
RatTower I'm enjoying the new demo for the most part, but for the love of God please increase equipment durability! Weapons breaking after 8-10 swings is way overdoing that mechanic.

RatTower

Arcane
Developer
RatTower, I was digging through my AppData folder the other day and noticed a CrashReportClient folder I wasn't familiar with. Checking through it, it's a bunch of logs that were generated by the Monomyth demo, they contain the OS username, user path and the computer name, though seemingly no other personal info. I don't know whether you're actively using this data for debugging or it's just UE4 doing its thing, but I thought I'd mention it.
UE4 generates those logs. I have never selected any logging, so I'd assume it's a standard configuration.

RatTower For stealth: is there light and shadow gameplay (Thief/Splinter Cell style)?
Yes, Monomyth uses the distance between the player and light sources to calculate the player's visibility.

RatTower, minor quibble, but the bow aiming animation seems to obscure a lot of the centre screen with the arm, your actual target, maybe bring it down a wee bit?

monomyth-archery.jpg
Oh yeah, that's an old animation. I'll polish archery together with stealth.
I took a small detour this week, reworking the spell acquisition. Once I'm done with spells I'll tackle stealth.
I'm a big fan of what you're doing but i think it's time to stop with these teases and demos and just announce the release date and then actually release the game.

I know some or even many people will disagree with me, but here is my rationale: I want to discover the game on my own, and for me to want to do that, the game should evoke a sense of mystery and wonder.

You've shown so much with these demos and teases that the sense of wonder is fading. I feel like I already know the game and there's nothing more to be discovered. Peripetia is another game that has done this to me, to a far larger degree. I'm not even sure I want to play the game on launch, because I've already seen so much (though I will buy the game as soon as it's available to support you).

I understand the need for doings this from a marketing perspective, but I think there should be a finer balance.

Of course, the counter-argument would be for me to just ignore the marketing material, which I have been doing, but that honestly creates a negative feeling in me when I realize there's new marketing material that I should now go out of my way to avoid. I dunno, maybe all this is just a "me issue", but it's genuinely how I see things with these guerilla indie-game marketing campaigns.

Nature of the beast I'm afraid. I'd love to show nothing and just surprise people with the final result.
But I'm afraid that would be really bad for wishlists and steam algorithm visibility (and also for feedback).
I try limiting myself to early ingame footage. I believe I have barely shown anything from the later areas.

I'll play it when the mouse bug is fixed, right now the faster you move your mouse the slower it moves, highly annoying.

Just uploaded version B4.0.2e. I hope that it will work with this one. I uploaded version B4.0.2d this afternoon, but that wasn't the real fix, unfortunately (didn't hurt though - essentially upped the state machine throughput).

The old demo had a female option. What happened to that?

Pending due to the visible player body. Armor meshes still need adjustments.

RatTower I'm enjoying the new demo for the most part, but for the love of God please increase equipment durability! Weapons breaking after 8-10 swings is way overdoing that mechanic.

Early game weapons are probably a bit brittle right now. Should have at least put an anvil somewhere near the beginning.

how do I kill these fishmen

Those should be avoided but if you want to try your luck with them, they hate being stabbed, just slightly more than being hit with a blunt object.
Also....
There are two explosive barrels in the locked room behind the trader. These were put there for another purpose, but if you time it right you can get both fishmen with them.

Fink

Novice
I like what I've seen so far, seems a very worthy successor to Arx Fatalis. I have two criticisms, though:

- When the player is holding a torch, its position at the bottom left of the screen is very distracting. It made me not want to use a torch at all, even in dark areas. Especially when you turn and the flames blow into the centre of the screen. Aside from being ugly/distracting, it also just doesn't make much sense. In real life you would hold a burning torch high, and as far away from your face as possible.

- The "puzzle" with the gate code you collect from Sewyn's corpse is a bit strange. Assuming the symbols are the common characters for numbers in-universe, why would this be presented as a code that the player must crack? Shouldn't he recognise the digits? Especially since his bio mentions a formal education.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Pending due to the visible player body. Armor meshes still need adjustments.
Will there be a boob slider?
We'll need a knob slider too RatTower . I play as self-inserts in these kinds of games and for immersion reasons my in-game manhood needs to be just as enormous as it is in real life.

Request: Denied

Reason: Balancing issue

Detail: Male characters starting with a spear weapon would be unfair to female characters.

:smug:

I am not RatTower.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
I wonder: how is it to be in the developer's shoes regarding all the whinings, rudeness, bug reports, constructive criticism, etc.? I mean, they are only human beings. I daresay, that to rise above the basic organism's response to criticism takes some effort for any human. Some are better at it, some not as much. A developer has to take in a lot, I suppose. Is all the negativity that inevitably comes with it a serious factor to consider? Does it take some psychical management or something? Do the words of praise or inspiration outweigh it all?

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
RatTower The mouse cursor feels much better now.

Question: What does raising the lockpick ability do? It seems like I can already pick any lock. Is it just for harder locks or can you eventually use a lockpick more than once?

Also, did you change the look of the slimes? I thought I remember them being more translucent with stuff like bones floating in them. I might be thinking of a different game though.

Btw: The kick feels overpowered. I don't think we should be able to knock over human enemies with it every time. It makes some fights too easy.

Harthwain

Magister
Btw: The kick feels overpowered. I don't think we should be able to knock over human enemies with it every time. It makes some fights too easy.
Sounds a lot like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. :obviously:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom