Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Monster Hunter Rise

N0rn

Novice
I might have gotten Rise for PC, since some of my friends don't have a Switch, but I don't know if I'm interested in re-doing everything I did in the Switch version already. It's stupid of Capcom to not include some way of save transfer from Switch to PC, they have to lose some sales that way at least.

Perkel

Arcane
Obviously it should go up for weekend but this doesn't seem to come close to MHW numbers.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Myobi

Liturgist
100h into it, I think MHW is overall better, however do love a lot of the changes.

I find the combat far more fun than world, just not having the need to soften parts is a huge plus for me.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I started with rise and i found the game cute and fun.
But then i got world and i fell totally in love is it clear to me that rise suffered a lot from being a game developed primarily for switch.
As console the switch is very limited however capcom stated recently they want to focus on pc in future. I hope to see another title with the depth world had.
I love that game.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Can you explore? Or are most things timed? I remember there being timers in the short while I played World.

Jinn

Arcane
Can you explore? Or are most things timed? I remember there being timers in the short while I played World.

Every Monster Hunter plays essentially the same in regards to this, besides the weird "Stories" spin-offs.

Sentinel

Arcane
So Citadel is basically guiding lands 2.0? Hype dropped below 0.

You can go on "exploration" missions where there's no time limit. Every hunt is timed, but the time is pretty generous (50 minutes).

somerandomdude

Learned
I liked MHW, but I don't care that much for Rise. They sped up the combat, and made it more casual friendly in Rise. I mained Charge Blade in MHW, and loved the weapon, but I was hugely disappointed with what they did to it in Rise. The weapon isn't fun to use anymore, it doesn't have the oomph that it had in World. I did play through Rise, and went through the story content, and most of the post game stuff, but I ended up using bowguns, which I used as secondary weapons in World. The problem with Rise, I couldn't find a weapon that was fun, so I simply settled for what I found to be the most effective with the least amount of effort. I approached playing MHR as if it was a chore like mowing the lawn. I only played it because a few people I knew IRL played it, and we had a private discord.

Jinn

Arcane
After ~60 hours and as a big appreciator of the earlier games in the series, I think I can confidently say that I prefer Rise over World at this point - the later of which I've put ~250 hours into. It just feels better to me in general, including how the weapons feel. I actually don't quite understand where a lot of the criticism towards the weapon-feel comes from in the first place, but I'm assuming it's a matter of a lot of people having World as their first MH. Every weapon type I've used so far has felt great. I would say the difficulty while doing solo hunts without any palico or palamute assistance is on par with a lot of what you'll find in World, and the multiplayer is just about the same (ie multiplayer in both Rise and World can be insanely easy at times). Could definitely use a bit more challenge even in the late game, but Sunbreak is going to provide a good deal of that G Rank challenge we're looking for from the sounds of it. I actually like the wirebug mechanic, and don't feel like I'm shoehorned into utilizing it mid-combat by any means. I primarily use it as a form of traversal, occasionally working it into combat with wire-falls and the like. While it can speed up traversal in interesting ways, it doesn't negate the slower, more deliberate movement the series has always been known for in the midst of a combat situation.

Beyond the straight-up gameplay aspects, I also prefer the presentation of Rise, including the graphics. While World technically looks better, Rise has much less intense clutter all over the screen while still bordering on a bit too much with the flashy weapon effects. Even the menu UI and HUD is more appealing to me, not to mention the beautiful monster portraits.

Now the number one thing that pisses me off about Rise is that the actual HUNTING mechanics of the Monster HUNTER game have been completely neutered, which makes me really sad. They were already casualized to shit in World, but they just outright removed them in Rise, which is baffling to me because it's cutting a big part of the series identity right out of the game. Rise would be so amazing if you had to actually track your prey, and if they had expanded on that element even further in the process. I mitigate this terrible design decision slightly by using the "detailed" hunting map, so I can't just immediately locate my target right at the beginning of the hunt, but it's a band-aid rather than a cure.

Anyway, Rise gets a bad rap I don't think it really deserves. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and am sure I'll have a lot more while I'm finishing out the base game content, and of course jumping into Sunbreak's offerings. You can see a lot of the Portable 3rd influence shining through, and I ultimately think that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
Sunbreak demo today in roughly ~2 hours from this post. On PC and Switch.

Sunbreak highlights revealed in last conference include Espinas (Frontier monster), Gore Magala and the Jungle from Freedom Ultimate map remade.

somerandomdude

Learned
Problems I have with Rise:

- Art style
- Rampages
- Petallace/spirit birds for temp buffs
- Weapons I used to like playing, I no longer enjoy playing anymore
- 1 in 300 billion odds talismans (being serious here with no exaggeration)
- Worse/less multiplayer options vs world. I also noticed more latency in Rise multiplayer.
- Monster Riding mechanics, it's largely a waste of time, and interrupts the flow of the combat, especially in multiplayer.
- The most braindead weapons are also the strongest ones. *Looks at Rajang Sticky HBG*.

People said spread HBG in World/Iceborne was braindead, and maybe it was if you used shield mods, but full damage spread with scope and no shield mods still required you to know the monster's moveset, or you get carted pretty easily. There's a reason why you don't see people using it in multiplayer against mobs like fatalis very often, and multiplayer fatalis with no shield spread scope requires as much balls as it does skill to not cart. You are legit gigachad if you use no shield spread scope on Fatalis multiplayer and do the DPS you should be doing and without carting. Nobody can say the same about sticky gunners in Rise. it's like the developers sat down and had a meeting about how to make HBG even more brain dead than it was in world, and still do top damage with no skills/brain power required.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane

New Sunbreak trailer from yesterday. I'm rather surprised and wasn't expecting to see Magala return for Rise, but it does make me happy. The roster that we've seen so far feels well curated, apart from the odd choice to add Espinas.

Rafidur

Learned
Tried the demo, combat was fun, environments still feel straight out of upscaled PSP.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
I bought Rise on release. Not going to make the same mistake. I'll wait 6 month at the very least, for Capcom to actually finish their fucking game, and then I'll maybe pick up the game if there's a good sale. Rise was a fun game, but had a lot of very annoying issues and was way, way overpriced.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I bought Rise on release. Not going to make the same mistake. I'll wait 6 month at the very least, for Capcom to actually finish their fucking game, and then I'll maybe pick up the game if there's a good sale. Rise was a fun game, but had a lot of very annoying issues and was way, way overpriced.
i hate you

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
it's not even that was unfinished ,but that was way too easy. it's not worth to spend 60 bucks or even 30 for baby first monster hunter.

also fuck Crapcom

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
Yeah, the village quests are easy, but that's like 1/5th of the game. There's a ton of challenge to be had soloing hub quests though. I don't know what the game was like at launch, but it's not baby's first MH unless you're intentionally playing it like a baby in its current state.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I remember when MH Tri came out, and people complained that it was not a good game because it was too easy. It happened with Portable 3rd. Even MHX was slammed hard because monster hunts would end in literal minutes (though Deviants were appreciated). Don't even get me started on the shit MH World also got. This is a tale as old as time itself. A new MH comes out and people complain. Notice how I skipped MH4U. This is because we never got the base game in the west so people couldn't complain it was too easy. Each time the G-Rank / Master Rank game is released, the complainers are satiated. It's going to happen with Sunbreak as well. And no, Rise is not a 'babby's first MH'. All LR/HR MHs are easy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom