Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Vorark

Erudite
Denuvo is gone! Executable went from 600mb+ to 82mb.

twRkoFq.jpg

Citizen

Denuvo is gone, and while it doesn't affect a shitty CPU-bound performance, it greatly reduces the delay for any internet access action. Finding a lobby, SoS signals or joining quests is now instant

Maybe one day capcom would remove their shitty anticheat solution that was proven to cause a lot of performance issues too, so the game that looks like ps3 title doesn't stutter every time a hunting horn does some particle-heavy animation

curds

Magister
How does this game play with KB+M?

Looks like something I am in the mood for, might get it, but I don't own a gamepad.

parrot = keyboard and mouse, lol.

curds

Magister
The game is shit, gamepad or not.
What's shit about it? Admittedly I know very little about it, just got a random urge to play it. I was under the impression the it was well received on the 'dex. It certainly is outside of this place, too.

fork

Primarily the utter shit story and infantile art style in combination with unskippable cutscenes. But also the uninspired level design, invisible walls everywhere, etc. While it may look good, it's an utterly boring mess once you get more familiar with it. Style over substance.
It's the hardcore game for retarded mainstream casuals who are too demented to realise what shit they're wasting their time with. But the hordes seem to enjoy it, so maybe you might as well?

Perkel

Arcane
Primarily the utter shit story and infantile art style in combination with unskippable cutscenes. But also the uninspired level design, invisible walls everywhere, etc. While it may look good, it's an utterly boring mess once you get more familiar with it. Style over substance.
It's the hardcore game for retarded mainstream casuals who are too demented to realise what shit they're wasting their time with. But the hordes seem to enjoy it, so maybe you might as well?

Did you get filtered by great jaggras and can't cope ?

Citizen

No, retard, I actually finished the base game, but it's time I wished I could get back somehow.

MHW/Iceborne has zero challenge up until postgame content (Rajang, Raging Brachy, Arch-Tempered Elders, MR Kushala, etc.). I don't think I failed a single story quest or carted more than a handful of times during the story. And I'm saying that as someone who periodically fails HR village quests in MHGU like a total dumbass

I don't think it's possible to be filtered early unless you just ignore gear upgrades altogether

Sentinel

Arcane
That's not exclusive to MHW, 3 and 4 are the same. The difficulty in these games only starts after you complete the campaigns and you have to start doing frame perfect dodges or you'll be getting one shot or close to it (in older titles, this doesn't happen in World, difficulty is ramped up in other ways)

fork

The game is not good enough to endure the entire story though. I was annoyed by the story and bored by the mechanics and level-design half-way through. And then there's the gaas-dna that permeated the entire experience. It's just not a good game, on any level.

mogwaimon

Magister
Monster Hunter has never been and will never be a storyfag game though, nor is the level design supposed to be the main star of the show. Monster Hunter is all about the combat, so if you're into games with decent combat then the series is up your alley, if you're not then you're not.

curds

Magister
Monster Hunter has never been and will never be a storyfag game though, nor is the level design supposed to be the main star of the show. Monster Hunter is all about the combat, so if you're into games with decent combat then the series is up your alley, if you're not then you're not.
Story I don't particularly care about, however I do love some exploration, and was under the impression MHW had good exploration, but I take it it doesn't? I may still get it if the combat is appealing, though. I should watch some YouTube vids.

mogwaimon

Magister
Story I don't particularly care about, however I do love some exploration, and was under the impression MHW had good exploration, but I take it it doesn't? I may still get it if the combat is appealing, though. I should watch some YouTube vids.

Oh, no, Monster Hunter is nothing to do with exploration. The basic gist of it is this: you and up to three other players (solo is a viable option and even preferable for difficulty's sake) go into a map which could be a forest, tundra, volcano, desert, etc and there's a giant monster in the map that you need to kill. You find that monster and fight it for roughly 10-15 mins, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, depends, and when you kill the monster it drops a bunch of parts that you can use to craft new weapons and armor so you can go and fight tougher monsters. That's the basic gameplay loop in a nutshell, there's not too much in the way of RPG here as it's a more action-focused experience.

The satisfaction of playing the game comes with learning and mastering your chosen weapon type (there are 14 types right now in the main series IIRC, 3 ranged and the rest some form of melee) and learning how to fight each type of monster. The closest sort of analogue I could say the game is, is the Monster Hunter series are basically 'boss rush' games where you keep on fighting 'bosses' one after another in a way.

curds

Magister

Oh, no, Monster Hunter is nothing to do with exploration. The basic gist of it is this: you and up to three other players (solo is a viable option and even preferable for difficulty's sake) go into a map which could be a forest, tundra, volcano, desert, etc and there's a giant monster in the map that you need to kill. You find that monster and fight it for roughly 10-15 mins, sometimes longer, sometimes shorter, depends, and when you kill the monster it drops a bunch of parts that you can use to craft new weapons and armor so you can go and fight tougher monsters. That's the basic gameplay loop in a nutshell, there's not too much in the way of RPG here as it's a more action-focused experience.

The satisfaction of playing the game comes with learning and mastering your chosen weapon type (there are 14 types right now in the main series IIRC, 3 ranged and the rest some form of melee) and learning how to fight each type of monster. The closest sort of analogue I could say the game is, is the Monster Hunter series are basically 'boss rush' games where you keep on fighting 'bosses' one after another in a way.
Thanks for the info.

Doesn't sound like my cuppa tea, at least I will wait for it to be heavily discounted.

cursed I only have 300 hours in MHW, but I disagree with mogwaimon-san. I'm not sure I would say that MHW has nothing to do with exploration. Sure it's no Gothic or Outward or whatever, and there is no unique loot to find per say, but the exploration element is there and it is fleshed out enough to compliment the main features of the game.

For one, the aforementioned regions where you hunt monsters are fuck-huge, and are unmapped when you first encounter a region. So initially the exploration element is indeed very strong, as you gradually discover each individual zone making up the whole map, some of which require a fair bit of perception and some concealed paths to get through. Sometimes I would discover nooks and crannies of maps unnoticed by me despite dozens of hours of playing a single map. Careful exploration will reward you in finding spots for additional camp-sites and spawn points around the map, some of which are likewise out of plain view.

Then, this knowledge of the map is constantly tested. While you can always simply follow monster tracks and your scout-flies, having a good sense of direction and which route to take in order to cut-through some obstacles, chase or evade a monster, or lead your quarry into a natural trap or advantageous terrain will be essential. Beyond combat, you will be gathering a ton of materials in every region, and having an idea of where the resources you are looking for are so that you can cut efficient paths through the level is always very beneficial.

Afterwards, even after you become comfortable with the maps and know your way around, each lang has a set of side-quests that will have you find treasures of the local kitty-tribes in order to level up your relations with them and get miscellaneous trinkets. You will get various riddles and will have to decipher them to figure out which of the many landmarks you have traversed bear hidden treasure.

Finally, with the DLC, you not only get an entirely new region and twice the aforementioned meow-meow UwU-chan riddles across every region in the game, but an entirely new set of exploration objectives that entails you going around regions snapping pictures of specific critters and events for more rewards.

This is not to mention that you can collect little critter dudes, like cute bugs and bunnies and shit like that, some of which are quite elusive and will require you to pay a lot of attention to the game's lush environments. Then you get to stick all them little motherfuckers in your house and gawk at them for your trouble. I found the super rare ancient forest songbird by sheer accident, what rings you got bitch??

In short, MHW may not have the exploration of your average RPG, but I would confidently say the game has a pretty decent secondary focus on it and provides exploration-related content through all stages of the game. Don't buy MGW for the exploration alone, but if you enjoy the core gameplay loop, I think you will find that exploration does play quite a pretty neat role in it.

Last edited:

curds

Magister
Lithium Flower

Shit, you made it sound really good. That's sorta how I imagined it before being told otherwise, too. Thanks for the nice long answer.

Now I don't know what do. I guess when in doubt, wait for decent sale.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
cursed I had a great time with the game and found it consuming for awhile. I think a lot of it basically is whether or not you buy into the core gameplay loop of hunting monsters for their body parts which you use for weapon and armour upgrades.

I think it's worthwhile having a look at the gameplay videos to see whether you find it intriguing or not. I do think there's an element of exploration in the sense of finding shortcuts and figuring out how the level fits together. This is useful both for finding materials and such, but also for tracking down a monster that's eluding you.

The big claims to fame in my mind are that each weapon plays fairly differently and there are nuances to learn with each, and each monster tends to behave somewhat differently. There may be commonalities between similar types of monsters, but they may have some differences that changes how you want to approach them.

All in all, it was a good time sink that was well worth the price of admission.

mogwaimon

Magister
eh, I guess if you look at it that way there are certain elements of exploration, but to be honest it's certainly not the main draw of the game and with how often you'll be fighting the beasties eventually the exploration will fade into the background as you memorize the maps. Well, except the Ancient Forest, that one is a bit of a pain to maneuver.

fork

Monster Hunter has never been and will never be a storyfag game though [...]

Then why does it have so many unskippable cutscenes?

And why can it not have decent level design on top of the combat? Would that make the game worse or what?

Fuck this, another fanboy-infested Codex thread not worth posting in.

Citizen

The game is not good enough to endure the entire story though. I was annoyed by the story and bored by the mechanics and level-design half-way through. And then there's the gaas-dna that permeated the entire experience. It's just not a good game, on any level.

Imagine looking for some story in MH title lol

Citizen

And why can it not have decent level design on top of the combat? Would that make the game worse or what?

MHW has amazing level design tho, on both practical and visual level. Maps are huge, interconnected, full of interesting terrain that can change the flow of the hunt, and looks great to boot. The only bad map is the first one (ancient forest) due to lack of shortcuts and monsters' tendency to run at the top of the tree making you chase them.

I actually think MHW maps were an improvement to classic MH leveldesign formula, and wrote some posts about it here on codex

fork

MHW has amazing level design tho, on both practical and visual level. Maps are huge, interconnected, full of interesting terrain that can change the flow of the hunt, and looks great to boot. The only bad map is the first one (ancient forest) due to lack of shortcuts and monsters' tendency to run at the top of the tree making you chase them.

I actually think MHW maps were an improvement to classic MH leveldesign formula, and wrote some posts about it here on codex

It has shit level design, especially layout-wise, but also visually: while being quite simple in fact, it takes relatively long to memorise the layouts/paths, because most places lack visual landmarks and look very samey at first. And then, once you do know the layouts and realise how simple they actually are, you also begin to notice how bland, uninspired and nonsensical they are, as if designed by a retard or an AI.
Of course some are worse than others, but even the better ones are still quite bad. And while some assets and places do look nice, they still look kinda shit because the engine is crap.

Should I start about the reused enemy skeletons and movesets or how there are very few unique weapon skins in a game that's supposedly all about the great monster fights and weapon crafting? Nah, probably not, that would just be another opportunity for the fanboy retards to suck Crapcoms dick.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom