Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Sentinel

Arcane
Saying something is bad isn't criticism. MHW terrain is better than terrain in probably any other action game, since you can incorporate it into your weapon's moveset. Slopes allow you to slide down and modify your attacks (hammer has a slope slide attack as one of its strongest), you can lure monsters into natural traps that do huge damage and knock them down, you can climb some walls and jump off them. I can't think of any other comparable action game that lets you do stuff like that.

The lack of aesthetic variety on weapon/gear is a valid criticism but it's addressed in Iceborne, even if it's overall inferior still to MHGU or MH4U for example. But considering all the improvements to combat gameplay MHW brought, losing flashy cosmetics for better combat is a worthwhile trade off for a lot of people - especially when a lot of people coming into MHW never saw the crazy outfits in the other games.

mogwaimon

Magister
Monster Hunter has never been and will never be a storyfag game though [...]

Then why does it have so many unskippable cutscenes?

And why can it not have decent level design on top of the combat? Would that make the game worse or what?

Fuck this, another fanboy-infested Codex thread not worth posting in.

well, the story is absolutely the worst part about World, I'm not saying it's good, I'm saying it's not the main draw and should be ignored. You don't like the cutscenes just take a coffee break or alt-tab, thankfully they only play once per run-through of the game, it's not like they play every single time you run a mission.

IMO World has some of the better level designs of the series but I for one am fine with fighting monsters whether it's on Forest 1 from the original MH or Elder's Recess from World. Other than certain gimmicks and obstacles such as the effluvium in the vale the level design doesn't matter 'that' much to me, but of course everyone's going to have their own opinions.

Should I start about the reused enemy skeletons and movesets or how there are very few unique weapon skins in a game that's supposedly all about the great monster fights and weapon crafting? Nah, probably not, that would just be another opportunity for the fanboy retards to suck Crapcoms dick.

oh I see, you've played Monster Hunter before and just hate World because it's decline. Fair enough but you don't need to be so hostile about it, and most of what you said here is stuff that someone who's new to the series like Cursed wouldn't even notice. At least recommend him the Monster Hunter game you like instead of putting him off the series altogether

Sentinel

Arcane
oh I see, you've played Monster Hunter before and just hate World because it's decline. Fair enough but you don't need to be so hostile about it, and most of what you said here is stuff that someone who's new to the series like Cursed wouldn't even notice. At least recommend him the Monster Hunter game you like instead of putting him off the series altogether
I don't think he's played a single MH game before, because a lot of World monsters that are ports from earlier games actually have new/reworked movesets. Fatalis and Yian-Garuga are actually fun in World because of such reworks.

The "reused enemy movesets" complaint is valid for earlier games in the series that actually 1:1 copy pasted movesets not even fixing broken as fuck hitboxes, not for World.

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't think he's played a single MH game before, because a lot of World monsters that are ports from earlier games actually have new/reworked movesets. Fatalis and Yian-Garuga are actually fun in World because of such reworks.

The "reused enemy movesets" complaint is valid for earlier games in the series that actually 1:1 copy pasted movesets not even fixing broken as fuck hitboxes, not for World.

True, but the rest of his criticisms are pretty accurate nonetheless, just that unless he's just parroting the arguments of some series veterans against World you'd only expect complains about reused monster skeletons from said veterans....though it really doesn't affect the users much. The lack of unique weapon skins is a far greater sin, but again a criticism I'd only expect from someone who's either played an earlier MH or is just looking for a reason to be pissed off; newcomers to the series won't notice this deficit unless it's pointed out to them or they go back and play an older (and better) MH game.

Sentinel

Arcane
https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e211019.html
Monster Hunter: World Tops 20 Million Units Shipped Globally!
- Capcom aims to further grow user base with proactive expansion of the series overall -

Capcom Co., Ltd. (Capcom) today announced that multiplatform title Monster Hunter: World has shipped over 20 million units worldwide (includes shipments of Monster Hunter World: Iceborne Master Edition).

In recent years, Capcom's promotion of digital sales has enabled it to realize long-term, global sales for its major titles. With the January 2018 release of Monster Hunter: World in particular, Capcom was able to propel the Monster Hunter series to global-brand status with a series-first worldwide simultaneous launch coupled with international promotional activities, establishing the game as Capcom's best-selling title of all time within a month of its release and being honored with awards the world over. In the more than three years since the game's release, in addition to promoting digital sales, Capcom also launched Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (Iceborne, below), a massive premium expansion for the game, as well as a bundle containing both titles, capitalizing on synergies with Iceborne and resulting in prolonged sales that led Monster Hunter: World to achieve a Capcom all-time record of 20 million units shipped.

Also in the Monster Hunter series is Monster Hunter Rise, which has sold a cumulative 7.5 million units on Nintendo Switch™ (as of September 24, 2021). This title will also be released for PC (Steam) on January 13, 2022*, a demo version of which was released on October 14*. Moreover, Capcom aims to further grow the brand by actively promoting the series overall, including with Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, a massive premium expansion for this title, which is scheduled for launch in summer of 2022.

Capcom remains firmly committed to satisfying the expectations of all users by leveraging its industry-leading game development capabilities in order to create highly entertaining gameplay experiences.

curds

Magister
establishing the game as Capcom's best-selling title of all time within a month of its release

Holy shit, that's actually quite impressive given Capcom has a lot of big names under its belt, like Resident Evil, DMC, Street Fighter, etc.

I would've thought something like RE4 would massively dwarf Monster Hunter in terms of sales.

Self-Ejected

Alphard

Self-Ejected
I have yet to complete IB. I have killed Alatreon in group but never managed to solo it, despite 30 or so tries. I miss to solo that and fatty (never attempted) but in a future i'm going to, just not now that i'm already raging with MH4U

tripedal

Augur
Got into this recently, good fun, very addictive, and it feels like there's a million different subsystems you can progress. Gotta say though, the monster HP bloat in Iceborne is a serious turn-off. Basically forces you into multiplayer, when I'd much rather hunt on my own.

Sentinel

Arcane
Hunting solo in MHWorld is the way to go. Monster HP gets scaled in multiplayer so hunts take longer and carts are out of your control.

tripedal

Augur
Hunting solo in MHWorld is the way to go. Monster HP gets scaled in multiplayer so hunts take longer and carts are out of your control.

The scaling for 2 is only ~1.5x and for 4 less than 2.5x, so proportionally it's a lot less hp per hunter. The carting thing is true tho.

Rilmani404

Novice
Recently got the base game. Gonna need to tinker with the options since it makes my computer chug. Any advice on that issue, aside from updating drivers or looking at PCgamingWiki?

Perkel

Arcane
Recently got the base game. Gonna need to tinker with the options since it makes my computer chug. Any advice on that issue, aside from updating drivers or looking at PCgamingWiki?

MHW has high base requirements. If you can switch to DX12 which improves CPU bottleneck. Aside from that resolution and LOD are the most important.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Late to the party but i puchased Rise and World withc Iceborn and i have to say while i found Rise fun World is absolutely better and more in depth woth mechanics and ambients. I love the game so much i play daily and is absolutely stunnong how much content this game offers.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

20220323220146_1.jpg

Bringing the codex prestige in MHW Primary group RPG CODEX!

Perkel

Arcane
There is now MHW mod that fixes bone/iron weapons crap. It replaces every bone/iron copy of weapon with unique one.

Frankly speaking with it i kind of see now what they were aiming at but failed. This mod replaces high rank version of weapons that were based on iron/bone to either weapons that monsters were supposed to had based on old weapons already designed or in case of those not existing either brinking back some of other weapon or designing new ones.

Basically low rank is your bone/iron weapon shite, then at high rank you upgrade them into their unique version of weapons. It is now pretty fun progression instead of directly jumping into wacky design or completely different.

There is caveat that community can't edit sounds for now so some weapons will be missing some (but not all) weapon sounds in "tree version" There is also layered version of mod but that doesnt' fix anything really and it has its own set of issues.
All of weapons introduced are very high quality either new design or rework of old gen weapon.

Perkel

Arcane
Capcom made event "return" to mhw. ton of people said fuck yeah and started playing it again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom