Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Caim

Arcane
But why now? Rise didn't satisfied players enough?
some streamers started playing it again like asmongold and it had the biggest discount during the new year/christmas period so far.
Plus the announcement of Monster Hunter 6 at the same time of the rise (heh), and now the game's got more players than the likes of Elden Ring, DayZ, Civ6 and various football games.

Machocruz

Arcane
One of the many that got this on holiday sale. Already had played up to Anjanath on PS5, but I sold the console. Was going to wait until I upgraded my potato later this year, but then it landed on Geforce Now, so I took it as a sign to pull the trigger. Runs great through the service. I've also played FU, Tri, Portable 3rd, Rise, and I don't know which I'd consider the best overall, but World is just damn exciting and I like its geography the most, so far.

Perkel

Arcane
Imho easily the best MH game in franchise. It has perfect blend of easy/hard.
It is fascinating how with every main game they just never miss. They up game in a good way.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
But why now? Rise didn't satisfied players enough?
Rise is a portable game with a bunch of annoying issues not present in world. World was designed as a mass market Monster hunter and did it's job extremely well. Once Rise had finished getting new content people went back to World.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Capcom just said "go play World again", and the people did. Meanwhile other games need to add new content or events on regular basis.

somerandomdude

Learned
The game can only be the best in the franchise if you care mostly about graphics.
The combination of graphics, audio, animations, and weight of the weapons was done perfectly in MHW. For example, when you land that true charge slash with GS, or SAED with CB, you really feel like you just landed a massive hit. No other MH game nailed the feeling of landing that massive hit like World did. Giving the player adequate feedback for their actions adds a lot to the fun factor of the general gameplay. These are things they just didn't get right in MHR. Weapons felt too floaty, and the gameplay was too fast for a MH game.

Perkel

Arcane
By far the biggest change is how monsters behave. They are no longer those clunky monsters that would rotate twice to align next attack, they can move sideways, turn on a dime target both far and close always keeping you up. They use environment as hunter, they can jump on ledges, climb and so on. And when they rage they truly feel different same with when they are tired, their attack fail miss etc. They are no longer those arcade meat sticks with stats but they feel animalistic and when you play you truly get perfect epic shots of them attacking you and you responding.

And that is just direct combat stuff. They have whole ecosystem around them that grounds them. Anja will go to near starting area to just sit and bask in sun before returning to tree to hunt.

Then there is environment itself which has many avenues to give you an edge in combat, its own ecosystem of smaller monsters etc.

Graphics is the last on this ist but it is finally good to see MH that actually looks part instead of being essentially PS2 game for all previous games.

Perkel

Arcane
With next mainline MHWild i hope they will continue to refine those monster behaviors and animations thought if they would go bonkers into content with bar set by world i wouldn't mind.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I hope they go back to make the game feel like a hunting game again, relying more on preparation and strategy and no being just action boss battles (despite being high quality). There are a lot of games for that.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Giving the player adequate feedback for their actions adds a lot to the fun factor of the general gameplay.
This is half true. Monsters still don't react to being hit unless you hit a meter threshold you can't see. I don't have a good solution but I don't like big action games making big monsters no sell your attacks. If a guy rams a hunting horn into your asshole and starts playing it you're not going to stand there and not react. Great sword to the face takes multiple fully charged shots to get the stun and that bothers me.
Then there is environment itself which has many avenues to give you an edge in combat, its own ecosystem of smaller monsters etc.
Rise's ability to run up cliffs is nice. Can really speed up getting around but it's levels are so bland and they often put collectibles in annoying places do you spend forever hunting basic material instead of the monsters.
I hope they go back to make the game feel like a hunting game again, relying more on preparation and strategy and no being just action boss battles (despite being high quality). There are a lot of games for that.
I don't think that's what most people want any more. As bad as pokemon has got you have to give it to them when they said they're compete with mobile games now. Every second you're collecting herbs or honey for your potions you could be on your phone reading twitter or playing some gacha shit. I don't do either but I understand if I was designing a monster hunting game with a bunch of clunky systems I'm scared to change because the fanbase will riot, I have to minimize the risk of someone picking up a phone instead. Monster hunter is really difficult to get into because of all it's legacy jank and cutting down on farming and needing to run around a map to find resources is one of the best ways to cut back on down time without a backlash.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't think that's what most people want any more. As bad as pokemon has got you have to give it to them when they said they're compete with mobile games now. Every second you're collecting herbs or honey for your potions you could be on your phone reading twitter or playing some gacha shit. I don't do either but I understand if I was designing a monster hunting game with a bunch of clunky systems I'm scared to change because the fanbase will riot, I have to minimize the risk of someone picking up a phone instead. Monster hunter is really difficult to get into because of all it's legacy jank and cutting down on farming and needing to run around a map to find resources is one of the best ways to cut back on down time without a backlash.

And still they introduce more and more features and menu bloat that are a chore to manage for short attention spam nu players (or everyone). But apparently the issue is getting some mushrooms to craft some traps or mine some ores for weapon upgrades while hunting .

In any case, I´m playing M4HU right now, and almost haven´t got to spent any time gathering materials between the stuff sold in stores and the multiply items feature. Just good old hunting, and crafting traps and bombs to prepare for the hunts.

Last edited:

Halfling Rodeo

Educated

And still they introduce more and more features and menu bloat that are a chore to manage for short attention spam nu players (or everyone). But apparently the issue is getting some mushrooms to craft some traps or mine some ores for weapon upgrades while hunting .

In any case, I´m playing M4HU right now, and almost haven´t got to spent any time gathering materials between the stuff sold in stores and the multiply items feature. Just good old hunting, and crafting traps and bombs to prepare for the hunts.
There is a shit load of bloat and so much they could remove and clean up. How much work went into making your room when almost no one uses them? Monster hunters biggest drawback is how many out of date and barely functional systems clog up the early game. World starts with a massive tutorial then an overwhelming amount of hub options laid out in a really complex way. If you don't have a guide it can be over whelming to even get into your first hunt. Let alone having to manage equipment. It would probably be better for those systems to be introduced a bit later and the chest give you your early supplies.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'd be fine with them streamlining other areas but making the hunt more rigorous. Less gamey systems for tracking, a little more towards simulation. Tracks that don't glow, blood trails, swaying and broken vegetation indicating something just passed through, lying in wait on monsters' roaming paths, etc. They could have a scoutfly-like scent mechanic too but more immersive, it wouldn't be available every time, could get lost if the beast goes through water, wind would affect it, your own scent could give you away, etc. Different monsters would require different approaches of varying intensity. You could have a monster that is super elusive but not that tough, one that we and the NPCs have never seen before, maybe even randomly generated so that you wouldn't even see the one in your game on the internet and spoil it for yourself. Think about how rewarding it would be to finally catch the mf after some demanding prep and tracking.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
I'd be fine with them streamlining other areas but making the hunt more rigorous. Less gamey systems for tracking, a little more towards simulation. Tracks that don't glow, blood trails, swaying and broken vegetation indicating something just passed through, lying in wait on monsters' roaming paths, etc. They could have a scoutfly-like scent mechanic too but more immersive, it wouldn't be available every time, could get lost if the beast goes through water, wind would affect it, your own scent could give you away, etc. Different monsters would require different approaches of varying intensity. You could have a monster that is super elusive but not that tough, one that we and the NPCs have never seen before, maybe even randomly generated so that you wouldn't even see the one in your game on the internet and spoil it for yourself. Think about how rewarding it would be to finally catch the mf after some demanding prep and tracking.
How do you do that without turning off a lot of players who are just in it to fight the monsters? I'm new to the series since last year was the first time I really got into one after dropping the series 1-2 hunts in over it's history repeatedly. I wouldn't want to bother with finding broken twigs and shit. Scout flies also make it way easier to notice harvesting spots which is a benefit. There's better ways to handle tracking but I think that should be something you have with a companion. I really want Wild to let you capture smaller monsters and use them as mounts to get around so you could have mounts with really good tracking skills you ride around to get scout flies. There's a really obvious capture/companion mechanic but they only dipped into it with Rise with monster riding. When it could be a main mechanic and make capturing important. Instead of painful sieges you could have kaiju battles with monsters you had to capture yourself. Way more fun and gives you a reason to capture over kill and vice versa if they want to explore reward differences.

Machocruz

Arcane
How do you do that without turning off a lot of players who are just in it to fight the monsters? I'm new to the series since last year was the first time I really got into one after dropping the series 1-2 hunts in over it's history repeatedly. I wouldn't want to bother with finding broken twigs and shit. Scout flies also make it way easier to notice harvesting spots which is a benefit. There's better ways to handle tracking but I think that should be something you have with a companion. I really want Wild to let you capture smaller monsters and use them as mounts to get around so you could have mounts with really good tracking skills you ride around to get scout flies. There's a really obvious capture/companion mechanic but they only dipped into it with Rise with monster riding. When it could be a main mechanic and make capturing important. Instead of painful sieges you could have kaiju battles with monsters you had to capture yourself. Way more fun and gives you a reason to capture over kill and vice versa if they want to explore reward differences.
First, it's the job of a designer to transform ideas into enjoyable mechanics. Are you saying it can't be done? According to what? All the mechanics in all games that you like now sounded good on paper? I doubt it. Maybe then Capcom should do away with any kind of tracking to satisfy the alleged fight purists. Teleport the player directly to the monster.

Second, I have no reason to assume it would dissuade a substantial number of people from buying a game, provided other areas were sufficiently impressive and previous game wasn't broken. People don't know what they'll like until the reality of it is before them. They gripe about shit in games all the time yet there they are lining up for the next one. Maybe finding broken twigs would be done in a way it would become one of your favorite things ever. But I don't see how completely rejecting ideas is a good thing. Then we'd also have to assume it wouldn't also turn some players on and get them more invested in the game, or that the people just in it to fight monsters enjoy some kind of priority over those who like that and the other stuff too. Audiences are not static, there is always loss and/or gain. The narrative that this is due to more or less complexity in an iteration is just that, a narrative. No causation has ever been empirically proven, usually unsupported correlations like "Skyrim sold more than other ES and it was more streamlined, so..." Yeah forget about the momentum and anticipation previous games built, massive marketing and media hype, an intriguing setting, it had to be details about mechanics that the average person who doesn't hang out on forums or new sites wouldn't even know about until after they bought it. I think easier gathering and tracking would be on the low end of the list of reasons that World is their biggest hit.

But yeah the companion idea works, probably more fitting for this world than hunting sim elements and the foundation is already there. But I'd change from glowflies to a scent trail. A little more visually grounded and doesn't magically direct you up vines that the monster never came near.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Maybe then Capcom should do away with any kind of tracking to satisfy the alleged fight purists. Teleport the player directly to the monster.
World already does that. Arena fights or dropping you on top of the monster as you start the quest.
I think easier gathering and tracking would be on the low end of the list of reasons that World is their biggest hit.
I doubt that's true. It's easy for vets to lose sight of how incredibly complex monster hunter is. I tried the Rise demo and though Insect glaive looked fun. I went "oh this games so clunky why would I bother?" and gave up on it. I later played World with a coop partner who pointed me towards how the games function and I became a big fan of the series. Even something as simple as making mega potions seems quite intimidating when Honey is so rare. It's not until you get the tree to farm it for you that you really get over the potions grind. Remember if someone fails at a mission and has to refarm things it's going to put them off playing further in many cases.
it's on a sale for PS5. How is this shit? Any resemblance to Souls or something?
It can play a lot like a souls game if you want it to. Weapons vary wildly but you will get fights similar to the moose in Elden Ring. Sif and Flamelurker.

it's on a sale for PS5. How is this shit? Any resemblance to Souls or something?
Souls combat was very inspired by MH at first, albeit there's no lock on in MH. I think you'd like the game, but it's very complicated to get into at first and the interface and UI are atrocious. There are way too many systems and you will feel overwhelmed for the first few hours for sure. It gets better the more you play. To some extent all MH games suffer from this, but World has an especially intrusive and egregious interface.

Too bad you missed Sony's giving away 20 games for free for every PS5 owner (they called it the 'PS Plus Collection'), MHW was one of them. They axed it in March of last year.

Many people don't like soloing in MH, but I've played through most of the games in the series solo. It's very doable. At the very end of MHW's expansion, Iceborne, the game turns into an unbearable grind, but by then you'll already have had hundreds of hours of fun.

Some aspects of the game are very impressive. Some others are annoying. I think World has the best levels of any MH game. The monsters are very fun to fight, and there's a ton of weapons that play very differently. If you take your time and explore the game at your own pace and disregard the turbo autists, it can be a lot of fun.

I'd say go for it.

Not the same thing, you're insane if you think MHW's Target Camera comes close to how useful lock on is in Souls. It's much better and faster to just play with it off.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Not the same thing, you're insane if you think MHW's Target Camera comes close to how useful lock on is in Souls. It's much better and faster to just play with it off.
It locks the camera on the monster. What the fuck else do you want a lock on to do? It doesn't auto turn you to face it but that doesn't stop it being a lock on.

Caim

Arcane
Had a first encounter with a Rathian in the forest. Things were going pretty well... until I heard another roar and got jumped by a Rathalos as well. It took a while but I finally managed to down the Rathian and gather some stuff off of it, but I got downed by the Rathalos after which it left the map.

Also, is there a way to get certain monsters to spawn? I'm looking to farm that dodo and the asshole winged chameleon so I can make some more armor and gear, but from what I can tell there's three different types of monsters on the map at random and that's that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom