Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Monster Hunter World - G-rank edition. Now on PC.

Reinhardt

Arcane
what's wrong with dual blades in world? i tried them and liked it. especially that jumping attack where you scalp monster full length from head to the tip of tail.
went back to long sword tho.

Suicidal

Arcane
Today I learned that a monster does not need to be in any special stunned/tired animation to make them run into a wall with the slinger. You can grapple on to their head at any point in the fight and if you stay on long enough to do a point blank slinger shot it will make them charge forward. Maybe they explained that in the tutorial but I must have missed that because only know I noticed it.

Is there a limit to how many times I can do that? Do monsters build resistance to the "forced to run forward" state the same way they do for other states like mounted, paralyzed, etc.? I know that you cannot make them run if they are enraged (which I have a hard time telling if they are for some monsters). Any other caveats?

Also the trick to make them go towards walls with the invis cloak + slinger is very useful, thanks for suggesting.

Elttharion

Learned
Today I learned that a monster does not need to be in any special stunned/tired animation to make them run into a wall with the slinger. You can grapple on to their head at any point in the fight and if you stay on long enough to do a point blank slinger shot it will make them charge forward. Maybe they explained that in the tutorial but I must have missed that because only know I noticed it.

Is there a limit to how many times I can do that? Do monsters build resistance to the "forced to run forward" state the same way they do for other states like mounted, paralyzed, etc.? I know that you cannot make them run if they are enraged (which I have a hard time telling if they are for some monsters). Any other caveats?

Also the trick to make them go towards walls with the invis cloak + slinger is very useful, thanks for suggesting.
No, there are no limits to it as long as the monster isnt enraged and they dont build resistance to wallbangs. IIRC if you are quick you can wallbang then twice before they enrage. Wallbang -> wait for him to get up -> clutch to its head and wallbang again. You can also slap the monster to force it to turn when you are grappled to its head, not sure if the game tells you this. Bear in mind that slapping them 3 times will force enrage the monster and prevent a wallbang. Basically if you wallbang twice, slap 3 times or slap two times and wallbang the monster it will always get enraged. This is useful because one of the best skills in the game, agitator, gives you a huge buff when you are fighting an enraged monster.

There is a little eye symbol next to the monster's icon in the UI, if its red the monster is enraged. Also the heartbeat next to the icon starts flashing and going crazy.

If you are having a hard time to launch the monsters during combat you can use either the rocksteady or temporal mantle, they will prevent you from being thrown off the monster. You will still take damage while using rocksteady tho so use it with caution.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
There is a little eye symbol next to the monster's icon in the UI, if its red the monster is enraged. Also the heartbeat next to the icon starts flashing and going crazy.
Also you can let it hit you. If you just died instantly from full health, it was enraged!

Suicidal

Arcane
You can also slap the monster to force it to turn when you are grappled to its head, not sure if the game tells you this.

The game did tell me this but I forgot which key does this so I haven't used it since the tutorial.

Reinhardt

Arcane
i didn't. there are hard fights and there are unfair and retarded. nigger is second case. like at one point i was literally trapped in the corner of arena with 3 shit pillars he placed right next to each other on top of stones you supposed to hide behind and could just sit there and watch him spamming even more shit.

Alphard

Magister
The eye of the storm at the end of the world
i didn't. there are hard fights and there are unfair and retarded. nigger is second case. like at one point i was literally trapped in the corner of arena with 3 shit pillars he placed right next to each other on top of stones you supposed to hide behind and could just sit there and watch him spamming even more shit.
luckily for you it's a unique gameplay created from collaboration with FF if not mistaken

Reinhardt

Arcane
luckily for you it's a unique gameplay created from collaboration with FF if not mistaken
giant lulukawa or whatever was his name was fun collaboration with ff, behemoth is not.

Cheesedragon117

Educated
what is even this retarded behemoth shit fight?
Optional. They didn't even make Master Rank versions of the gear. Just skip him for now and focus on Kulve Taroth or whoever you're supposed to be fighting next. I remember those two came out about the same time, but I don't remember the exact order of fights.

Suicidal

Arcane
Ran out of time fighting the water + lightning dragon. Ran him into a wall like 10 times, bombed him when he was sleeping, kept up my consumable buffs at all times and it still wasn't enough. Optimized my gear for the fight and killed him the second time but still took over 40 minutes.

Should I grind before going forward? I don't like how most of my weapons' next upgrade level needs materials from things I wasn't required to kill as part of the main quest.

Damned Registrations

I think you're generally expected to do a fair bit of sidequests while playing- not just for gear upgrades, but it also gives extra gadget and food options and simply as a way to get more practice.

Suicidal

Arcane
I think you're generally expected to do a fair bit of sidequests while playing- not just for gear upgrades, but it also gives extra gadget and food options and simply as a way to get more practice.
I did most of the NPC side quests that give unique stuff, I stopped at some point cause I got bored of killing shit I already killed for the mainquest.

Also turns out the next story quest seems like the final boss so I really don't want to stop to grind now.

Damned Registrations

Eh, just go for it then. I hope they make more monsters into siege fights in the next game, I always liked the idea of tracking down the monsters that got away on your last hunt and finishing the job.

Elttharion

Learned
when i'll start getting better decorations? in iceborne?
There are two event quests that give a ton of decos in the base game but the best ones are exclusive to Iceborne. If you plan to jump directly to the expansion it isnt worth it grinding decos as you will be able to meld some of the rarer ones and Iceborne showers you with base game decorations.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
The first Iceborne monster is easy and it's gear immediately renders all of the base game gear junk. There isn't much reason to fuck around with the base game after beating the story. That's the major issue I have with the game as a whole. Iceborne makes the base game feel like a waste of time and also introduces mechanics that don't add much, if anything.

Suicidal

Arcane
Killed the final boss. It was pretty difficult. Had to upgrade a weapon to kill him in time.

I know there is still post-game stuff and superbosses but I think I'm good.

Game is fun, I like the combat and creative weapon and monster designs (even if 90% of them are a variation of big lizard), but the MMO-like grind, the kind where you have to get X of item Y that only drops Z percent of the time, is really off-putting. Same thing with the gems. Want an attack or crit gem? Fuck you, here's your 20th copy of the mushroom gatherer gem. And you need to grind, at least somewhat, because otherwise you will run into situations where a monster's regular fart attack will instantly kill you or you won't do enough damage to kill them within the time limit.

I would have liked the game more and probably stayed for the post-game if when you killed a monster it dropped enough materials for you to crafts its entire armor set or a weapon.

But I can appreciate how much content there is for the people who like to grind and Iceborn is such a huge expansion in the age of tiny cut content DLCs it's almost surreal. I think it was longer than the main game.

I might check out Rise or the new one sometime in the future when enough time has passed.

Damned Registrations

Killed the final boss. It was pretty difficult. Had to upgrade a weapon to kill him in time.

Game is fun, I like the combat and creative weapon and monster designs (even if 90% of them are a variation of big lizard), but the MMO-like grind, the kind where you have to get X of item Y that only drops Z percent of the time, is really off-putting. Same thing with the gems. Want an attack or crit gem? Fuck you, here's your 20th copy of the mushroom gatherer gem. And you need to grind, at least somewhat, because otherwise you will run into situations where a monster's regular fart attack will instantly kill you or you won't do enough damage to kill them within the time limit.

I would have liked the game more and probably stayed for the post-game if when you killed a monster it dropped enough materials for you to crafts its entire armor set or a weapon.

But I can appreciate how much content there is for the people who like to grind and Iceborn is such a huge expansion in the age of tiny cut content DLCs it's almost surreal. I think it was longer than the main game.

I might check out Rise or the new one sometime in the future when enough time has passed.
You should go check out a teamdarkside speedrun of whatever monster you are most butthurt over. Won't help you play better at all, but it's satisfying seeing the things get utterly destroyed.

Suicidal

Arcane

You should go check out a teamdarkside speedrun of whatever monster you are most butthurt over. Won't help you play better at all, but it's satisfying seeing the things get utterly destroyed.
There wasn't really a monster I disliked fighting (maybe the black spiky dragon because the visual communication of his attacks is pretty shit and most of the time it seemed like I was getting hit by air when fighting him) but I was starting to feel exhausted towards the end of Iceborn main quest because everything had so much HP and had difficult to deal with movesets on top of it so I had to maintain concentration for 40+ minutes every fight. I think the Iceborn final boss is harder than the vast majority of bosses in Elden Ring but he looked so cool and the fight was so spectacular I can't be mad at it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom