Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mortal: The Simulation Video Game

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Right, yeah... Programming update? I didn't even know how to start coding a simple d6 roller so I gave up. :honk honk:

In other news, I finalized the project as something that would have to through WotC and D&D. In the end, the game would be triple as good if I had access to the OGL. The only change would be that skills would be like in D&D 3.5e. All else as is. Also, I would need to acquire rights to the Thief franchise's shadow/visibility gameplay gimmicks.

So, dream game of a lifetime? Only two copyright infringements. Lots of novel and authentic material of my own imagining.

If anyone wants to chat about it from start, let's do. Not as a video game pitch or a finished product but simply as a "share tales around the campfire" kind'a thing.
You could make it into some more indie? Like a 2D RPG or a Point and Click Adventure title

(Those are just three examples of cool indie projects)

Also why you need to rights to the shadow/visibility game-play gimmicks? last time I checked theirs plenty of Thief style clones on the market.

tumblr_o162ckqH9p1u0p4xwo1_500.gif

Now I sit back and wait

Kruyurk

Learned

RPK

Scholar
Right, yeah... Programming update? I didn't even know how to start coding a simple d6 roller so I gave up. :honk honk:

In other news, I finalized the project as something that would have to through WotC and D&D. In the end, the game would be triple as good if I had access to the OGL. The only change would be that skills would be like in D&D 3.5e. All else as is. Also, I would need to acquire rights to the Thief franchise's shadow/visibility gameplay gimmicks.

So, dream game of a lifetime? Only two copyright infringements. Lots of novel and authentic material of my own imagining.

If anyone wants to chat about it from start, let's do. Not as a video game pitch or a finished product but simply as a "share tales around the campfire" kind'a thing.
this isn't going to help you any, but you don't need to talk to WotC about using the OGL. it stands for Open Game License. Ie. you can use it however you like.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
You use that https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_randomnumbergenerator.html and that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_uniform_distribution to code a fucking dice. With your special talents it should only take a few more months to code a fucking D6, then you just add the game around the dice.
Imagine this Gahbreeil guy entering a GAME Jam with like a tone of prize money and at the end he presents his GDD (Don't forget that its for a AAAA Game)

death-note-kira.gif

Kruyurk

Learned
You use that https://docs.godotengine.org/en/stable/classes/class_randomnumbergenerator.html and that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_uniform_distribution to code a fucking dice. With your special talents it should only take a few more months to code a fucking D6, then you just add the game around the dice.
Imagine this Gahbreeil guy entering a GAME Jam with like a tone of prize money and at the end he presents his GDD (Don't forget that its for a AAAA Game)
The game jam would turn into a competition of coding the best dice, to win the privilege of coding the rest of the game for Gahbreeeeil (if it's AAAA you can afford more letters).

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
The game jam would turn into a competition of coding the best dice, to win the privilege of coding the rest of the game for Gahbreeeeil (if it's AAAA you can afford more letters).
Yeah I know for one that most people on this form are just super jealous of the GDD and would kill for the chance to work on the AAAA title

Gahbreeil

Scholar
this isn't going to help you any, but you don't need to talk to WotC about using the OGL. it stands for Open Game License. Ie. you can use it however you like.
I was of the mind, better safe than sorry. Can someone add some quality content to the thread and tell us all what exactly, in the world of video games, is copyrighted material?
Hey! Thanks, dude. I might have another go at it.

The porridge thickens!

Baron Tahn

Scholar
I assume like most projects that this is going nowhere but Ive been involved in various positions of use - narrative consultancy, world building, narration, v/o, advertising/promotion, design, direction etc. Always looking for interesting projects. If they are going somewhere. And *pay*.

RPK

Scholar
I assume like most projects that this is going nowhere but Ive been involved in various positions of use - narrative consultancy, world building, narration, v/o, advertising/promotion, design, direction etc. Always looking for interesting projects. If they are going somewhere. And *pay*.
There won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

So, you'll have that going for you.

which is nice.

Baron Tahn

Scholar
There won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

which is nice.
Haha I wish, maybe there would be some reason to have pursued a creative career after all! Total Consciousness eh? Sounds good.

RPK

Scholar

which is nice.
Haha I wish, maybe there would be some reason to have pursued a creative career after all! Total Consciousness eh? Sounds good.
in case you missed it, that's a quote from the greatest movie ever made about golf.

Gahbreeil

Scholar
Can someone add some quality content to the thread and tell us all what exactly, in the world of video games, is copyrighted material?
Oh. My bad. But to answer your question, basically everything. Code, assets, name, art, and sometimes names and systems.
Exactly, so... Me registering all of this data, that my VDO Game project is, on the Codex in order to have a readily available proof that it is my Intellectual Property is not that dumb. I even went ahead and designed my own TTRPG in order to avoid lawsuits from Wizards of the Coast.

Regardless, Thief clones on Steam might be illegally manufactured, just sayin'.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Me registering all of this data, that my VDO Game project is, on the Codex in order to have a readily available proof that it is my Intellectual Property is not that dumb.
I'm not a lawyer but I'm quit sure that if you don't register your property to your local copyright office (and paying real money for that) then it has no legal protection. If you want your ideas not to be stolen (don't worry, they won't), either you keep them to yourself, or you patent them.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Me registering all of this data, that my VDO Game project is, on the Codex in order to have a readily available proof that it is my Intellectual Property is not that dumb.
I'm not a lawyer but I'm quit sure that if you don't register your property to your local copyright office (and paying real money for that) then it has no legal protection. If you want your ideas not to be stolen (don't worry, they won't), either you keep them to yourself, or you patent them.
Though as far as games go I understand you can't copyright ideas or mechanics, only specific ways of expressing them. Applies more to physical games than electronic ones, probably.

Patents: yes, you need to file them for ownership.
Trademark: not strictly required if it's well-known, but it's a really good idea to do it since ownership is kind of weak otherwise.
Copyright: no registration required, you own your creative works by default in western countries; registration is just one of many ways to prove that you're the creator, it doesn't confer any stronger ownership. In the case of a game, being the creator is pretty easy to prove by virtue of having the source code, and for a finished product, having been selling it on X platform since Y date. No harm in doing it but not required. This is more for IP (setting, characters, that sort of thing) than mechanics, though; mechanic implementation would fall under patents, and the mechanics themselves can't be patented (too broad), just the very specific implementation. For an example of how specific a game mechanic patent has to be, see US10926179B2 (Shadows of Mordor's Nemesis system); I'm not even sure why the fuck someone would bother patenting things like that given how fantastically low the odds are that another studio would come up with the same implementation even if they were trying to make a clone of your game.

Vormulak

Learned
Edgy
Ergo, not a word doc. Strange, I know. I hope this helps you with your life goals or whatever, Ancient One.
Thank you, pup, for the respect given to my person. I am, indeed, your elder.

Do you understand that I have pinpointed the genre of a supposition of a video game? A document of design describes a video game. What better way to describe a video game than to place it within the genre appropriate based on the content of the video game. Yes, it is not a video game yet it has content. I believe you did understand what I have written down as you posted, therefore, now, you are the forum dunce. Therefore, I shall report you to my superiors on this board/forum for wasting precious memory on the server with your silly post.
>trannime
>I'M YOUR ELDER
lmao, you fappin to loli hentai at the retirement community?

Gahbreeil

Scholar
>trannime
>I'M YOUR ELDER
lmao, you fappin to loli hentai at the retirement community?
>i have been on the internet
>oh lawd
>i am so kewl

In other news, no. Aerie is a character from Baldur's Gate 2. I like both the game and the character. I watched anime as a child and so, I remember some Japanese animated series fondly. I don't know where you found this pedo edge on me but please do mention where it was that you found it in your next post.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Can someone add some quality content to the thread and tell us all what exactly, in the world of video games, is copyrighted material?
Oh. My bad. But to answer your question, basically everything. Code, assets, name, art, and sometimes names and systems.
Exactly, so... Me registering all of this data, that my VDO Game project is, on the Codex in order to have a readily available proof that it is my Intellectual Property is not that dumb. I even went ahead and designed my own TTRPG in order to avoid lawsuits from Wizards of the Coast.

Not sure where your based (aka country) but IP generally works like this;

https://www.gov.uk/intellectual-property-an-overview

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

Yes, I already knew that. That's why I've said what I've said previously.
Did you thou cause what you said was...

"Exactly, so... Me registering all of this data, that my VDO Game project is, on the Codex in order to have a readily available proof that it is my Intellectual Property is not that dumb. I even went ahead and designed my own TTRPG in order to avoid lawsuits from Wizards of the Coast."

Again I should reiterate that IP law;

83b6eda05800f6fe25b0b011b0ebb6de.gif

Owning intellectual property​

You own intellectual property if you:
  • created it (and it meets the requirements for copyright, a patent or a design)
  • bought intellectual property rights from the creator or a previous owner
  • have a brand that could be a trade mark, for example, a well-known product name
Intellectual property can:
  • have more than one owner
  • belong to people or businesses
  • be sold or transferred
Intellectual property rights allow you to make money from the intellectual property you own.

Intellectual property if you’re self-employed​

If you’re self-employed, you usually own the intellectual property even if your work was commissioned by someone else - unless your contract with them gives them the rights.

You usually will not own the intellectual property for something you created as part of your work while you were employed by someone else.

How your unregistered designs are protected​

There are rights that protect your unregistered designs and stop others from using them without your permission.
You get protection automatically - you do not have to apply or pay a fee.
You can register your design if you need to protect it for longer, provided it meets the eligibility criteria.

Prove your design is protected​

You’ll need proof of when you created a design if you want to prove your right.

This could be getting signed and dated copies of your design drawings or photos certified and kept by a solicitor or intellectual property attorney.

There are other ways to prove your right. You’ll usually need to get professional legal advice.

That said you @Gahbreeil mentioned that you where working with a larger publisher thus depending on your relationship with them and any transfer of ownership...

Intellectual property if you’re self-employed​

If you’re self-employed, you usually own the intellectual property even if your work was commissioned by someone else - unless your contract with them gives them the rights.

You usually will not own the intellectual property for something you created as part of your work while you were employed by someone else.

(That last bits the key)

giphy.gif

Gahbreeil

Scholar

• created it (and it meets the requirements for copyright, a patent or a design)
  • have a brand that could be a trade mark, for example, a well-known product name
Created it and it is visible on the internet. This way, no one can claim otherwise because in court, I would plainly state that there is proof that I am the creator of said IP.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

Created it and it is visible on the internet. This way, no one can claim otherwise because in court, I would plainly state that there is proof that I am the creator of said IP.
Well to be fair in the biggest twist of fate their has been on this forum, the GDD at least proves that you've developed the world and setting, meaning thats their in of itself your prove on concept and your proof of owning your intellectual property... So We've finally found a use for the GDD yay!

laughing-vegeta-dragon-ball-ehf3g8b4d7vaug8w.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well to be fair in the biggest twist of fate their has been on this forum, the GDD at least proves that you've developed the world and setting, meaning thats their in of itself your prove on concept and your proof of owning your intellectual property... So We've finally found a use for the GDD yay!

Unrelated but how big is your reaction gif folder?

MarathonGuy1337

Educated

Unrelated but how big is your reaction gif folder?
Massive
51ee5e38cbe02cf59dd7deab915fb70b234c8f48_hq.gif

Mind Blowing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom