Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most useless cRPG companions.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Back on topic, the most useless companion would be faldorn in original bg1. Druid with shitty stat and no decent spell,and low hp to boot. Good luck salvaging that.
Iirc, with xp limit of BG 1 ToSC - 161 000, pure Druid was hitting lvl 10 and had an access to lvl 5 spells, when cleric stopped at lvl 8/lvl 4 spells. That is potentially huge advantage for Faldorn, although I don't remember if Insect Plague was in the game back then.

In OG, druid have two spell on level 5 : animal summoning 2 and cure critical wound.

Faldorn start with 22 hp at level 5, and does not bring anything on the table compared to jaheira or any cleric, even multi.
Entangle is nice before web, but extremly niche once you reached cloakwood.

Sarathiour

Cipher
She comes skill focused in rogue skills despite not having them as a class skill. She's an even shittier version of a druid, with a truncated version of the worst spell list in the game.
It's 3/4 BAB spellcaster with access to level 9 spell and she gain martial skill along the way + the various hex. That's a very solid class, the focus on DEX is unfortuatly true for 75% of the npc. As per the writing, it's bad, but leave to pathfinder to have the only heterosexual character to be irremediable evil.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Most useless companion I can think off actually goes to Camellia from Wrath of the Righteous, a very recent contender. She comes skill focused in rogue skills despite not having them as a class skill. She's an even shittier version of a druid, with a truncated version of the worst spell list in the game. Her highest stat is dexterity with a class that doesn't benefit from it at all - in a game that's already absolutely drowning in dex-based melee fighters - and from a pure roleplaying standpoint she's an outrageous liability that anyone sane would summarily execute the moment they meet her, if not for the fact that the player controlling them has a terminal case of horny. Oh, and to add insult to injury, she has a locked equipment slot.

If you develop her as a pure Shaman (Spirit Hunter), using a rapier, she becomes a killing machine, tho.

notpl

Arbiter
She comes skill focused in rogue skills despite not having them as a class skill. She's an even shittier version of a druid, with a truncated version of the worst spell list in the game.
It's 3/4 BAB spellcaster with access to level 9 spell and she gain martial skill along the way + the various hex. That's a very solid class, the focus on DEX is unfortuatly true for 75% of the npc. As per the writing, it's bad, but leave to pathfinder to have the only heterosexual character to be irremediable evil.
3/4 BAB spellcaster with access to bad level 9 spells, and 16 in her casting stat. The Shaman does not get the full druid spell list, and the druid spell list is already the worst of the Big 4. The only way to make her worthwhile is by abusing mythic abilities that would make ANY character ludicrously powerful, and she'll be worse than any of the other companions using those same broken strategies.

Ladonna

Arcane
The mad guy you pick up at Mendor's Library in Pool of Radiance. Just runs away in every single fight. Even the baby lizard man you pick up in the Venusian village in Buck Rogers CtD could be given a gun and fires at enemies.

Or Saduj in Ultima V. As soon as you get in a fight, he attacks you.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
8xo1LNG.jpg

Could not get a decent from the og so used remastered. Jackie is useless.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Your spouse in Fallout 2.
That bitch Miria.
I would also like to add Skynet,if you didn't equip him with the cybernetic brain. Requires a rather high Science skill check(126 if I am not mistaken).
He is only strong with the cybernetic brain

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Who could it be and why is it Ian for consistently emptying a burst fire clip into my back?

I wanted to say "the black girl from Pillars of Eternity" but i remembered I sacrificed her at a blood altar for a stat boost, so actually she's one of the more useful companions out there.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most useless companion I can think off actually goes to Camellia from Wrath of the Righteous, a very recent contender. She comes skill focused in rogue skills despite not having them as a class skill. t.

She's one of the most useful ones actually, if you can endure "the chaotic evil" side of her after act 3. Very good tank, useful skills, huge damage with elemental barrage and useful buffs (which can easly be 24 houred)

Your spouse in Fallout 2.
This is the winner here, with Fallout 1 companions that kill you with bursts or block you into small spaces.
Funny thing is I didn't really question party member usefulness till BG2. I even completed BG1 with every party member available. Then everything went downhill.

Last edited:

Comte_II

Ur
Who do you consider to be the most useless and insufferable companion in any cRPG? I mean the most absolutely dogshit companion you know.

Here's mine:
1. Garrick. This motherfucker is about as useful as a kick in the groin. Seriously. Have you guys ever bothered including him in your party,gearing him up and turning him around to be a useful addition to a party?

2. Myron. Myron,baby,MYRON! Alright,so Myron is well known for being a sleazy,amoral douchebag(seriously,he tries to rape you if you are an attractive,but really dumb woman with low Int) who is the literal goldmine of Family Mordino,the biggest Jet dealers in post nuclear California. Even though he is extremely lacking in any combat ability(he does have some minor Small Guns and Energy Weapons skills),he can make stimpacks and even super stimpacks for you,not to mention some other consumables. Still better than fuckin' Garrick if you ask me.

3. Cernd. Ah Cernd. The personification of blandness. He is a Druid(Shapeshifter class kit),and aside from a high Wis,he is severely lacking in physical abilities. With the Shapeshifter Rebalancing Mod,he becomes extremely powerful while in his Greater Wolfwere form,but does it truly redeem him?
Ur mom

plem

Learned
Woljif from Wrathfinder. Eldritch scoundrel is a terrible hybrid and he's both a shitty rogue and a shitty wizard because of it.
completely wrong. with Archmage Armor, Mirror Image, Blur, etc he's more survivable than any rogue and with Sense Vitals he's got more sneak attack dice than a regular rogue as well. ES was buffed in Wrath from Kingmaker by way of better SA progression, and anyways you can multiclass him to Vivisector or something else since you get him really early.

Humbaba

Arcane
Woljif from Wrathfinder. Eldritch scoundrel is a terrible hybrid and he's both a shitty rogue and a shitty wizard because of it.
completely wrong. with Archmage Armor, Mirror Image, Blur, etc he's more survivable than any rogue and with Sense Vitals he's got more sneak attack dice than a regular rogue as well. ES was buffed in Wrath from Kingmaker by way of better SA progression, and anyways you can multiclass him to Vivisector or something else since you get him really early.
Oh what a good fucking character who has to use up all of his spell slots so he can do what a regular ass rogue can do a lot sooner, not to mention that mirror image and blur are utterly useless against all bosses AND he still can only use daggers.

plem

Learned
Most useless companion I can think off actually goes to Camellia from Wrath of the Righteous, a very recent contender. She comes skill focused in rogue skills despite not having them as a class skill. She's an even shittier version of a druid, with a truncated version of the worst spell list in the game. Her highest stat is dexterity with a class that doesn't benefit from it at all - in a game that's already absolutely drowning in dex-based melee fighters - and from a pure roleplaying standpoint she's an outrageous liability that anyone sane would summarily execute the moment they meet her, if not for the fact that the player controlling them has a terminal case of horny. Oh, and to add insult to injury, she has a locked equipment slot.
she does have Trickery as a class skill from her background. and she benefits from high DEX by... attacking? with Piercing Grace + Rapier Focus & Specialization (from Battle Spirit) she's an excellent melee fighter, or you can switch her to ranged. again, you get her so early you can build her in as many was as you want. and Shaman has incredibly useful buff and debuff spells, not to mention Hexes which are the most broken ability in the game. Fortune + Protective Luck + Chant = advantage on everything and disadvantage for all attackers, which is both superior to every additive buff and stacks with them.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Who do you consider to be the most useless and insufferable companion in any cRPG? I mean the most absolutely dogshit companion you know.

Here's mine:
1. Garrick. This motherfucker is about as useful as a kick in the groin. Seriously. Have you guys ever bothered including him in your party,gearing him up and turning him around to be a useful addition to a party?

2. Myron. Myron,baby,MYRON! Alright,so Myron is well known for being a sleazy,amoral douchebag(seriously,he tries to rape you if you are an attractive,but really dumb woman with low Int) who is the literal goldmine of Family Mordino,the biggest Jet dealers in post nuclear California. Even though he is extremely lacking in any combat ability(he does have some minor Small Guns and Energy Weapons skills),he can make stimpacks and even super stimpacks for you,not to mention some other consumables. Still better than fuckin' Garrick if you ask me.

3. Cernd. Ah Cernd. The personification of blandness. He is a Druid(Shapeshifter class kit),and aside from a high Wis,he is severely lacking in physical abilities. With the Shapeshifter Rebalancing Mod,he becomes extremely powerful while in his Greater Wolfwere form,but does it truly redeem him?

Garrick is actually quite good once you get him geared up right. Give him the The Guide (crossbow with 5 thac0 bonus), bracers of archery, and a fireball wand or two, and he is a mage and archer combined while being just as good as any at either role.

Lots of weird suggestions on BG2 companions. All of them are good. Anomen is almost as good as Viconia at spells but vastly better in melee, Fighter/Cleric is one of the true powerhouse classes. Cernd is a druid which just flat out has broken spells (really anything that has spells in BG2/ToB is a good character, stats don't even matter, and any pure class caster is OK in BG1). I will agree Garrick is kind of crap though. Personally I hate how you have to have a thief and that classes like bards/monks can't cover thief skills like find traps and lockpicking. Thieves that aren't dual or multi also suck but you have to bring them so I can't say they are useless.

EE and SoD though, holy shit beamdog does not understand how to make useful characters.

Hexxat? Pure Thief with no kit. Who even thought of something so boring and weak? She even conflicts with half the available party members in the game to boot. She also gets her stats nerfed hard in outdoor areas, not that they matter because strength doesn't synergize with backstabs and thieves can't do shit in melee otherwise. This is in a game where every other thieve is some useful multi or dual class mage that is a top tier character.
Rasaad? It's like they made a whole character to show people how bad monks are. He even gets a kit which is arguably worse than the base monk.
Glint? Fucking hell Cleric/Thief has to be the most dysfunctional multiclass in the game. If he had 18 strength it might be OK at hitting something but its 13 so he's just a cleric with half his XP lost. Only reason to take him is because there's only one other thief in SoD to begin with and its a pure class. Your choice between bringing someone who cucks you or the gay gnome.
The Goblin? Shaman is another awful class that beamdog made with no redeeming qualities. Bonus points for muh feminism/racism remarks constantly.

I'll also throw in Neera in BG1/SoD because Wild Mage is simply a dysfunctional class at low levels. Their only real benefit is their level 1 spell that lets them cast any spell they know, but using that to cast a low level spell is pretty weak in exchange for a forced wild surge (great in BG2 when you can spam timestop/wish/etc with it of course). In BG1/SoD you have practically no wild surge bonuses to make them more reliable and you die instantly if you accidentally cast a 60 damage fireball on yourself or summon a hostile level 20 demon.

Last edited:

plem

Learned
Oh what a good fucking character who has to use up all of his spell slots so he can do what a regular ass rogue can do a lot sooner, not to mention that mirror image and blur are utterly useless against all bosses AND he still can only use daggers.
1. why else would you use your spell slots? if you want your rogue to play like a wizard, roll a wizard.

2. he doesn't do what a regular rogue does, he does it better. Archmage Armor gets you way more AC than a regular rogue could get, and regular rogues don't get access to defensive spells at all except through UMD.

3. since True Seeing doesn't work RAW in this game, Blur and Mirror Image *does* work against bosses and against regular mobs. unless you mean bosses that target saves and not AC in which case I don't see how ES is any worse than a regular rogue.

4. all characters can only use one weapon type if you're building them properly. there's great daggers in this game with on-hit debuffs and/or buffs on equip. damage dice is irrelevant since they're completely overshadowed by sneak attack and DEX mod bonuses. and anyways you get more finesse training soon enough that you can switch him to another weapon if you really want to.

just

Liturgist
if game doenst have some kind of "lone wolf" perk i uninstall immediately
playing with companions ever jesus christ

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Katrina in the Ultima games is always shit. They did this on purpose because she's a Shepherd, the designated hard mode class. But then she's still shit after classes were removed. Considering that all of the Ultima companions are based on real-life acquaintances of Richard Garriott, I wonder what Katrina's real-life counterpart did to RG for Origin to do her so dirty.

She could at least be hot to make up for her shortcomings in combat, but, uh...
WtwlJeZ.png

Humbaba

Arcane
1. why else would you use your spell slots? if you want your rogue to play like a wizard, roll a wizard.

2. he doesn't do what a regular rogue does, he does it better. Archmage Armor gets you way more AC than a regular rogue could get, and regular rogues don't get access to defensive spells at all except through UMD.

3. since True Seeing doesn't work RAW in this game, Blur and Mirror Image *does* work against bosses and against regular mobs. unless you mean bosses that target saves and not AC in which case I don't see how ES is any worse than a regular rogue.

4. all characters can only use one weapon type if you're building them properly. there's great daggers in this game with on-hit debuffs and/or buffs on equip. damage dice is irrelevant since they're completely overshadowed by sneak attack and DEX mod bonuses. and anyways you get more finesse training soon enough that you can switch him to another weapon if you really want to.
1. Which is exactly my point, Eldritch Scoundrel is a terrible hybrid class with no useful synergies between rogue and wizard.

2. Who gives a hoot about Archmage Armor, a regular high DEX rogue with the proper feats can have good AC as well, besides when your rogue is being targeted you're doing it wrong.

3. Let's pretend that's true, then there's still no reason for Eldritch Scoundrel to exist because any other old magic user can just cast blur etc. on any given rogue, you're only losing out on mirror image, which isn't that good anyway.

4. Wasting a level just to give him proficiency with better weapons (like kukris, of which there are much better ones than daggers) just so you have access to redundant self buffs is a bad deal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom