Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most useless cRPG companions.

Codex Year of the Donut
Me and Sarathiour have gay sex. Have I mentioned that I'm a low functioning autist?
Daily reminder that I have beaten the game 3 times on core, while Sarathiour barely got through it once on normal and Desiderius put me on the ignore list because I pointed out how absolutely useless his advice is and that he rendered the Wrathfinder thread utterly unreadable thanks to his double and triple postings. Long story short, I'm the only one here who knows what he's talking about. inb4 negative ratings from either of the two homos.

Plus, I very much actively aggressively took a huge dump on Sarafag in shoutbox because he took a shot at the king and missed, so Autisterius should maybe learn what passive aggressive means but then again autists can't really grasp social interaction now can they.
dw, I also frequently brag about beating shit games

Sarathiour

Cipher
while Sarathiour barely got through it once on normal
Actually twice on challenging in challenging and core, but it's not like it's making the game any better or really harder. Does not matter in any kind of way either, because you're apparently still not able to read the "enemies status effect" line and your own spell. Reminder that mirror image being useless is the hill you're set to die on.

Plus, I very much actively aggressively took a huge dump on Sarafag in shoutbox
You seems upset

Humbaba

Arcane
Lmao what a liar, yesterday you said you beat it once. Move along people, only a pleb trying to act tough.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Put delusional people on ignore. It’s what it’s for. They eventually find another street corner.

Desiderius

Patron
I heard you 2 fags are fucking with my man Humbaba here. You think it's fun to 2 v 1 someone? Big men huh.
The purpose of ignore is to remove the temptation to continue to scourge the weak. So no, no one is fucking with him. There are still a couple bleeding heart libs trying to save him but most understand you cannot save a man who doesn’t want to be saved.

You’re welcome to try but he’s forsaken this world.

Desiderius

Patron
Kys faggot
Why would I want to do that? My life’s great. Got anything substantive to add or do you want to go on ignore too?

Look man we all appreciate a dude who sticks up for his buds but when he’s wandering around wasted out of his mind you take him home and sober him up, you don’t start taking swings at the people telling him to take his underwear off his head.

Desiderius

Patron
You talk a lot without saying anything. Stop fucking with my pal, you pair of faggots. It's not big or clever
You keep lying. I’ve said plenty, you just don’t want to hear it. I’ll say it one more time.

I’m telling you your friend is wrong and people are trying to clue him in (not fucking with him) and you’re no friend if you’re reinforcing that behavior. I’m not fucking with him since I have him on ignore.

Your friend is the only one fucking with anything. Fucking clueless.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Lmao what a liar, yesterday you said you beat it once. Move along people, only a pleb trying to act tough.
Well it seems like you reading ability are considerably improving when you ass hurts. Try asking help from your husband the next time you are playing the game :smug:

Well, I indeed only beat the game once, because I stopped my azata playthrough after chapter 4, fed up by the state of the game. My proof of concept was working well enough, casting 4 chain lighting per turn before applying any kind of metamagic shred trough anything that does not have improved evasion, and that's before taking account of favorable magic.

Humbaba

Arcane
"heh, yeah I lied so what :smug:"

Alright, anudda argument against Sarathiour won and quite decisively too. Better luck next time :shittydog:

RunningWolf

Learned
Any male homosexual, for example James Vega, Dorian, Sosiel, etc. I ain't traveling with no monkeypox super-spreader.

Sykar

Arcane
Jan Jansen for example ranks fairly low, but thanks to him being a mage/thief that will eventually reach level 9 spells
You need 18 int to get 9th level spells. That means he needs two permanent Int increases in order to get there. I think you can get one of those points from the machine, but I'm not sure if you can put the second point on him through the deck.
No, you don't, don't be silly. You need to chug a cheap potion to scribe level 9 spells, and then your intelligence doesn't affect the casting in any way whatsoever. Did you really think Edwin was the only party member in BG2 capable of casting level 9 spells?
Thanks. Now I have an even lower opinion of BG2 and bioware than before. I never even tried abusing Bioware's lack of effort in the second game in actually implementing the rules. I've never even tried abusing this lack of proper implementation of the ruleset in BG2 since it never even occurred to me to waste time testing something that's not even supposed to happen in the first place. I also don't read guides or look up exploits to use. If I ever know about one in any game, it's because I stumbled upon it and I never stumbled on this one.

You see, according to the AD&D rules, INT scores are required for spellcasting. Characters with lower than 18 INT shouldn't even be able to prepare spells of 9th level or higher. This is supposed to mean unless you can find enough permanent/semi-permament bonuses, Edwin is supposed to be the only companion able to cast 9th level spells by default. It's also supposed to mean that given the limited amount of INT bonuses that endure through rests in game, you are supposed to according to the actual AD&D rules only get up to two other companions if using Jan or Aerie (not both) to cast 9th level spells. The only way to get four characters who can cast level 9 spells is supposed to be giving only one bonus each to Imoen, Nalia, and Sarevok with Aerie and Jan left with only level 8 spells.

Here's the table from the 2e player's handbook as presented in the AD&D Core Rules 2.0 CD.

z0qtUmQ.png
I just chalk it up to house rules. Otherwise there would be a whole lot more to complain about, like Anomen not being even allowed to dual to priest iirc or Minsc being allowed to be a ranger.

Codex Year of the Donut
IE games incorrectly implement a lot of rules, one of the more obvious bugbears for me is letting jaheira wear metal armor and her portrait in BG2 features her wearing metal armor

Jason Liang

Arcane
Here's the table from the 2e player's handbook as presented in the AD&D Core Rules 2.0 CD.

z0qtUmQ.png

The game *does* encode this table in the INT .2da file.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_Wiki:Game_source_files/2DA/INTMOD

2DA V1.0
LEARN_SPELL MAX_SPELL_LEVEL MAX_SPELLS_PER_LEVEL
0 0 0 0
1 0 0 0
2 0 0 0
3 0 0 0
4 0 0 0
5 0 0 0
6 0 0 0
7 0 0 0
8 0 0 0
9 35 4 6
10 40 5 7
11 45 5 7
12 50 6 7
13 55 6 9
14 60 7 9
15 65 7 11
16 70 8 11
17 75 8 14
18 85 9 18
19 95 9 99
20 96 9 99
21 97 9 99
22 98 9 99
23 99 9 99
24 100 9 99
25 100 9 99

Desiderius

Patron
Little-known Dio Druid kit is into Metal. Maybe she’s been stepping out on Khalid with the band.

Codex Year of the Donut
It does not.
INTMOD, short for modified by intelligence, is a 2da table that defines the impact of a characters intelligence score on their chances to learn a wizard spell, which maximum spell level they can learn at all and how many spells they can scribe into their Mage Book.
There's nothing there about what spell level you can memorize, merely what you can scribe, which is different.

FriendlyMerchant

Jan Jansen for example ranks fairly low, but thanks to him being a mage/thief that will eventually reach level 9 spells
You need 18 int to get 9th level spells. That means he needs two permanent Int increases in order to get there. I think you can get one of those points from the machine, but I'm not sure if you can put the second point on him through the deck.
No, you don't, don't be silly. You need to chug a cheap potion to scribe level 9 spells, and then your intelligence doesn't affect the casting in any way whatsoever. Did you really think Edwin was the only party member in BG2 capable of casting level 9 spells?
Thanks. Now I have an even lower opinion of BG2 and bioware than before. I never even tried abusing Bioware's lack of effort in the second game in actually implementing the rules. I've never even tried abusing this lack of proper implementation of the ruleset in BG2 since it never even occurred to me to waste time testing something that's not even supposed to happen in the first place. I also don't read guides or look up exploits to use. If I ever know about one in any game, it's because I stumbled upon it and I never stumbled on this one.

You see, according to the AD&D rules, INT scores are required for spellcasting. Characters with lower than 18 INT shouldn't even be able to prepare spells of 9th level or higher. This is supposed to mean unless you can find enough permanent/semi-permament bonuses, Edwin is supposed to be the only companion able to cast 9th level spells by default. It's also supposed to mean that given the limited amount of INT bonuses that endure through rests in game, you are supposed to according to the actual AD&D rules only get up to two other companions if using Jan or Aerie (not both) to cast 9th level spells. The only way to get four characters who can cast level 9 spells is supposed to be giving only one bonus each to Imoen, Nalia, and Sarevok with Aerie and Jan left with only level 8 spells.

z0qtUmQ.png
I just chalk it up to house rules. Otherwise there would be a whole lot more to complain about, like Anomen not being even allowed to dual to priest iirc or Minsc being allowed to be a ranger.
House rules are fine if you are actually playing with people and you have a DM to agree to house rules with. But for what's supposed to be an official product, it should be treated like an official module with stat requirements in tact. It should follow the standard rules so that someone who picks up the game doesn't start playing it and realizing this game that's labeled as a D&D game doesn't have rule changes that come out of nowhere (and are not even appropriate).

In the case of Minsc, they should have just made him a fighter in BG1 and changed his class to Barbarian in BG2, and just given Anomen the necessary wisdom to qualify for dual classing (it wouldn't have changed much about his character). If there were actually house rules, they should described them in the manual or in class descriptions. Though this is to exclude the fact that Bioware doesn't provide backstory for these characters so Minsc may have at one time had the WIS to qualify as cleric and just suffered brain damage or developing schizophrenia which affected his wisdom (he does have all sorts of schizophrenic fantasies about Boo), and Anomen may lost WIS after having legally dualed to cleric.

In the case of casting, there is nothing indicated in-game or in the manuals to imply that you can cast 9th level spells without 18 INT. The likelihood is that Bioware designed all the characters in BG1 and BG2 to have more than enough INT to do the casting and by time they got to TOB and introduced 9th level spells, they probably didn't even realize they didn't correctly implement the rules within their code or believed that their restrictions already implemented were sufficient to enforce the casting rules since all their mage companions could legally use the highest level spells available up to the end of SA--assuming competence on their part--and never actually getting around to fixing this bug or simply not caring as they moved on to their prototype console gaming engine.

FriendlyMerchant

z0qtUmQ.png

The game *does* encode this table in the INT .2da file.

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_Wiki:Game_source_files/2DA/INTMOD

2DA V1.0
LEARN_SPELL MAX_SPELL_LEVEL MAX_SPELLS_PER_LEVEL
0 0 0 0
1 0 0 0
2 0 0 0
3 0 0 0
4 0 0 0
5 0 0 0
6 0 0 0
7 0 0 0
8 0 0 0
9 35 4 6
10 40 5 7
11 45 5 7
12 50 6 7
13 55 6 9
14 60 7 9
15 65 7 11
16 70 8 11
17 75 8 14
18 85 9 18
19 95 9 99
20 96 9 99
21 97 9 99
22 98 9 99
23 99 9 99
24 100 9 99
25 100 9 99
Whether or not it correctly checks for if your mage gets a particular level of spell slots is a different story however.

JDR13

Arcane
I was about to say Bioware but then I realized it says "companions" not "companies".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom