Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Move jRPG above ALL ELSE on the main board

mondblut

Arcane
You named number yourself.

So you have Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 on the western side

Too retarded to read, too?

I just pointed that "western rpg games" not declined, most of them already started in the dung.

If you are a zoomer whose exposure to gaming started with xbawks, yes.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Witcher was shit from the start. There was nothing to "dumbing down"
Yes, but Final Fantasy lost party creation in 1988, which was the point.
Not counting FF III and V because they technically start you in the freelancer class is some fuckery...
Dragon Quest IX had it in 2009 and it is fairly likely to come back for the next mainline Dragon Quest.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
Not counting FF III and V because they technically start you in the freelancer class is some fuckery...
? Characters are all pregens in FFV.

But as soon as you shatter (liberate? has been a while) your first crystal you get your first set of classes, which are identical to the FF1 classes.
The characters are as little pregen as it gets, they have a name and a bit of story, but you decide all the gameplay relevant stuff for them.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
That's not party creation, and neither is whatever you do in Pillars of Eternity (create your chosen one then eventually when you get enough money you can create thugs).

I start the game, I create a party, nothing's more simple.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
That's not party creation, and neither is whatever you do in Pillars of Eternity (create your chosen one then eventually when you get enough money you can create thugs).
Eh, only makes a difference for the roleplaying, but Dragon Quest IX has full party creation. Unless walking through one door and hiring the new guys at a fee of 0 gold disqualifies that.
Also pretty much every DRPG has full party creation by every definition of the word, and there are like 3 of them upcoming right now, and the genre is growing in popularity in Japan again.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Having experienced both, I always believed JRPGs and WRPGs could be better classified as "console" and "computer" minded design accordingly, with all the assumptions you can make about each being true. It's basically historical reality. The interviews with the Dragon Quest creator, Yuji Horii, proves this where he openly admits to wanting to make an easier, more accessible Ultima or whatever, and that's where JRPGs got lift off and launched into the clone wars for a decade or more.

Still, that's like 70% of the picture in general, the lines blur, especially over time, and it's true that in recent years WRPGs have essentially become JRPGs but with woke aesthetics whereas JRPGs doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled down on moe, so both lost there to some degree.

But I will say this regardless. When they apply themselves, the Japanese games are excellent. Western games tend to explore great ideas and play it fast and loose, and oftentimes the results are amazingly openminded but suffer from a lack of focus (modders will fix it after all, etc.). In comparison, the Japanese singular minded approach really narrows down what can make a game compelling while even sometimes embracing the best aesthetics of the west.

It's a trade off between experimentation and limitation. The Japanese have always stressed the latter to the effect of making everything they produce symbolic of it, whether it's video games or cars or swords or anything. I guess it's what you get from being an ancient culture based on an island with no resources. You get less, everything is compartmentalized, but it's finely tuned to excellence, or whatever. The west are drafters/engineers that move on quickly from ideas, and the east are refiners that tend to stick to improving "what works". Just listen to some Japanese Jazz fusion sometime. They still explore a lot of music and fashion the west has given up on, among other things.

Anyways, Elminage Gothic is incredible, go play it. And Vagrant Story, and SaGa, and etc..

Suicidal

Arcane
Imagine if someone were to start a studio where western devs of superior taste were to think up all the ideas and direct all the art, dictated to japanese sararimen who could actually execute without cutting corners.

TBH giving the reigns to western devs nowadays would result in the game being some woke shit about trannies smashing the patriarchy or a jack-of-all-trades open world survival crafting game for the normies that might as well be generated by an algorithm. You sure you'd want that?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
9312.png

hello friend

Arcane
Imagine if someone were to start a studio where western devs of superior taste were to think up all the ideas and direct all the art, dictated to japanese sararimen who could actually execute without cutting corners.

TBH giving the reigns to western devs nowadays would result in the game being some woke shit about trannies smashing the patriarchy or a jack-of-all-trades open world survival crafting game for the normies that might as well be generated by an algorithm. You sure you'd want that?
Firing squads can fix it. Indies will pick up the pieces.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Reminder that many of the vile creatures that have come here to argue in favor of darkness hang out in places like the Cyberpuke2077 thread (which is still in the RPG section of the forum). They lie to themselves in more ways than one, so it's fair to make fun of them until they shed tears.

Maxie

I've arranged for an armed contingent of no less than one thousand three hundred thirty seven catgirls to systemically hunt down and kill opponents of jRPG hegemony in a public display unknown to mankind since Ieyasu put the heads of Osaka ronin on spikes along the road between Edo and Kyoto

Suicidal

Arcane

Firing squads can fix it. Indies will pick up the pieces.

So card-based "roguelikes" and 2d pixel top-down clickers with a dodge button so we can pretend it's a Souls game then?

Reinhardt

Arcane
I've arranged for an armed contingent of no less than one thousand three hundred thirty seven catgirls
Your japanese catgirl maids are outdated and stand no chance against western blm anthro std-ridden diaper-wearing transgender furry scat vore kweens.
This world is doomed, japanese aliens ARE sane ones...

Maxie

I've arranged for an armed contingent of no less than one thousand three hundred thirty seven catgirls
Your japanese catgirl maids are outdated and stand no chance against western blm anthro std-ridden diaper-wearing transgender furry scat vore kweens.
This world is doomed, japanese aliens ARE sane ones...
the purity of the catgirl contingent will conquer western filth

hello friend

Arcane
Zoe and Brianna?

So card-based "roguelikes" and 2d pixel top-down clickers with a dodge button so we can pretend it's a Souls game then?

All excellent canditates for weapons calibration tests.

Listen, this is a real quick fix. Sooner or later you run out of decline enablers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom