Official Codex Discord Server

  1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

  1. Kz3r0 Arcane

    Kz3r0
    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    24,649
    Updated my vote accordingly.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    1A
    2A
    3Everybody
    4B Thais 4, Lyssa 2, Derryth the rest
    5B
    6B
    7Derryth Heal, Thais, heal
    8A
    9B
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    No. The counter-attack will most likely be happening in our minds, and I am not testing the strengths of 3 mages against the whole compound.

    Send the Arrows in, like Ceannard originally intended to anyway, and work on dispelling the enchantments from there. What's up with trying to do everything the most risky way?

    Until this choice popped up, we specifically voted to let the Arrows take the most risk, and we were fairly sure they would eventually secure the building anyway, since this is what the second vote is about. What happened to that confidence?

    8C 9B

    I am not using one of our artefacts to get rid of some mages in what essetially is a glorified sidequest. If we destroy an item each time we cross paths with a semi-powerful adversary, we'll soon be walking naked.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,510
    Here's my plan: set fire to the whole compound with torches, arrows and magic and wait for the strongest members to show themselves. Then capture them.
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Would have worked, if the compound was wooden and not made of bricks.
     
    ^ Top  
  6. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,510
    Amateurs. Use oil and magic.
     
    ^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

    Smashing Axe
    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2011
    Messages:
    2,701
    Divinity: Original Sin
    9B - Never.
     
    ^ Top  
  8. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    I don't think they can do it that way. There are no scrying spells here, so if they wish to attack us, they have to get in line of sight. And if we are in cover and invisible (if possible), that's going to be a bit tricky for them. Especially without ending up like arrow pincushions while looking for us. I think they'll dig in and wait to blast the first person that walks in there.

    As for the grenade, put me down as yes, though nobody else is going to vote for it. Convert our last stone to one and go in SWAT style. Get to the building, throw in the grenade, follow up with a nice aoe stun spell and move in (first wave should preferably be invisible and with illusion decoys in front of them).
     
    ^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Well, I am just reminded about this quote on the potential of using the Gate spell as a WMD.
    I don't know what unraveling spells in the center of the compound - and we don't have a visual on it, either, BTW - will look like, but I am assuming it might turn into the battle of wills, too. Fangshi can probably tell us more on how this works.

    How does the invisibility spell work? It's not like a Greater Invisibility in D&D, right?

    I'd expect any action, including casting, to break it, but I don't know for sure.
     
    ^ Top  
  10. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    You are both right, sort of.

    They can not hit you with a spell that requires line of sight without exposing themselves to the Arrows. They may of course try and you will take every reasonable precaution to avoid getting hit. So it will be quite difficult to directly target your bodies or minds.

    They will however be able to feel your attempts at unraveling the spells.

    This is possible since both your mages and theirs will be within range of the spells you are trying to influence. You will be standing just outside of them while they will be within them. Now you do not know exactly what will happen since you have not really tried this before but Derryth thinks that they will attempt to shore up the spells as your group tries to tear them down. They might be able to attack you through the spells or they may only be able to defend. You are not sure really as that will have a lot to do with just what kind of spells you are dealing with here.

    There are a lot of unknowns here that make it difficult to know what will happen before you begin.

    The main issue will arise when you find out exactly what you are dealing with.

    If the spells are being actively maintained (through a ritual for example) then you may meet direct resistance from the minds behind them which will likely take the form of a battle of wills.

    If the spells are being artificially powered however then you will only have to worry about the defenses within the spells themselves and any attempts by the enemy mages to repair and reinforce them.

    The resistance you meet will also have a lot to do with which option wins in question 8. The more the enemy mages have to deal with the less they will have left to deal with you.

    It is also possible that you will meet next to no resistance when you start. If the spells you are sensing are of little immediate or practical use to the defenders they may simply abandon them for more physical means of resistance. But again you can't really know that till you try.

    If you want more specifics or clarification just let me know.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    All right, so basically we don't know what we will be facing or if these spells are even that important. And we won't know until we make our move. But fuck it, I'd still rather not go in here with those spells active. I'm amending my tactics vote to C > A. That way if they try actively defending those spells they would have to divide their attention between us and the Arrows.
     
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I am not risking our necks on a mission we've paid money for the Arrows to do. If we do it, we do it together with them.

    The Arrows should be thankful that we've noticed it at all. I'd say let them take the heat off us while we try to help them... if it helps them, that is. We still have no idea of what we are trying to do here. :lol:
     
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    ...Wouldn't it be hilarious if the spells in the compound exist solely to keep something suppressed... or dreaming?
    That would teach us not to dispel unknown enchantments all right. :lol:
     
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Given the new options that have popped up I will give it another 24 hrs then close the votes. The update will come within twelve hours of the votes closing like usual.

    Show Spoiler

    Nevill:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Greater Energy Bolt 8.C 9.B

    Smashing Axe:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.B

    Zero Credibility:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C>A 9.A

    Kz3r0:
    1.A 2.- 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.A 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.A

    asxetos:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A 9.x

    Jester:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.B

    Grimgravy:
    1.A 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 6/4/2 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A 9.B

    1. 1st Wave
    A) 2 votes
    B) 5 votes

    2. 2nd Wave
    A) 6 votes
    B)

    3. Party Composition
    A)
    B) 7 votes:
    i. 7 votes
    ii. 7 votes
    iii. 5 vote
    iv. 4 vote
    v. 7 votes

    4. Energon Cube Distribution
    A)
    B) 7 votes (6 votes to split them evenly 4/4/4, 1 vote 6 to Derryth, 4 to Thaïs, and 2 to Lyssa 6/4/2 )

    5. Spinner
    A) 1 vote
    B) 6 votes

    6. Box
    A)
    B) 7 votes

    7. Spell Rings
    Derryth:
    Heal 7 votes
    Thaïs:
    Heal 6 votes
    Greater Energy Bolt 1 vote

    8. Enemy Spells
    A) 2 votes
    B)
    C) 5 votes

    9. Anti Magic Grenade
    A) 2 votes
    B) 4 votes



    Got it. Updating. :salute:
     
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Jester Arbiter

    Jester
    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    I am at No to magic grenade, edited that some time ago.
     
    ^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Votes are now closed.

    You will unravel the spells enshrouding the compound while the Arrows attack. You will then enter with the reserves. You will take everyone. You will split up the energon cubes evenly. You will not destroy the spinner. You will wait to open the box, you will load both rings with a heal spell and you will not make a magic grenade.

    The update will be out within 12 hours.
     
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Chapter 23: Wolves at the Door

    The Arrows do everything they can to ensure your safety. A team secures the doorway, another team sets up a protective screen and four more teams stand ready to breach the perimeter at Ceannard's orders.

    Everything is waiting on his signal and he is waiting on yours.

    "Derryth, don't do this," the Faceless Man has been trying to talk you out of attacking the compound's spells.

    "Why not?" you whisper in response.

    "It is reckless, that's why! You know nothing about the spells at play here! Hell, I know nothing about them! They could be anything!" you know all that of course. You know this is dangerous but you want to ensure the Arrows succeed and you are certain that this is the way to do it. It is precisely because the spells at the heart of the compound are so strange that you feel a need to remove them. You do not want the Arrows under their effects for too long.

    "I am doing this," you answer, "Either help or stay out of the way."

    "I refuse to help you do something this... this stupid!" the archmage sputters, "Think about all you could lose!" you are fairly certain he means all he could lose but you do not expect any more from him at this point. Ultimately you elect to ignore him, if he will not help then you have nothing more to say to the man.

    The three of you stand in a small triangle. You take one another's hands, you close your eyes and you prepare to assault the enemies' spells.

    You can not see the enemy mages, in fact you do not even know if there are enemy mages actually maintaining the spells. As a result you are left with a single option. Attack the spells directly and force your way to their heart.

    It will not be easy but then what has been for you lately?

    You nod to the mercenary captain, "We are ready when you are."

    "Alright, I will give the order to advance," you hear the whistle of an arrow.

    Explosions rock the night, satchel charges no doubt.

    From the shouts and screams that follow you know that the Arrows have begun their attack and so you begin yours.

    You begin with the easy stuff.

    Alarm spells, sentry spells, warding spells of various types.

    Nothing you can not handle.

    The three of you know what you are doing even if you are only working from theory and not first hand experience. You and Thaïs are so used to working together at this point that you dodge and weave between each other's spells with a grace and elegance that is mesmerizing. Lyssa for her part does her best to keep up. Despite Mazzarin's low opinion of her skill you believe she demonstrates real talent and even knows a thing or two that surprises you.

    All is going according to plan. Most of the enemy spells have been dealt with as you follow the magical currents back to their heart. Then you feel it, the spell you could not identify.

    It manifests as a slight pull on your mind coming from the center of the compound.

    You immediately halt your advance to properly investigate but it does little good. Something is pulling you further from your body. You try to shout a mental warning to your allies, you try to tell them to pull back but as you cast around with your mind you realize that they are trapped as well.

    The three of you are pulled along the magical currents towards the heart of the compound. Your mind begins to grow weary, tired, and gradually you begin to drift off.

    Faintly, you think you hear Ceannard calling your name but there is nothing to be done as you quietly drift off to sleep.

    ---------------------------------------------

    Bravely the watchman strides into the woods.

    He has walked this path hundreds of times before.

    It is all he knows.

    It is his purpose.

    Once, he thought, he dreamed of another life.

    In a city of glittering marble, he traded bits of metal in a great square.

    But that could not be.

    He has always been a watchman.

    Such dreams are mere fancy, nothing more.

    He walks on in silence as the night closes around him.

    The scant light of his lantern barely pierces the oncoming gloom.

    He wants to return to his bed, to the white brick fort, but he refuse to abandon this.

    This is his duty.

    So he pushes on.

    The night comes on quickly now.

    And with it come other things.

    Enemies.

    A branch snaps to his right.

    It is on him in an instant.

    A nightmare, part lizard, part housecat, with the tongue of a frog and the tail of a desert scorpion.

    It is an elf, a fairy, a twisted little beast of the forest.

    It will kill him, eat him.

    He is ready though.

    His blade fills his hand and all too quickly it cuts through to the very heart of the beast.

    It gurgles as it dies, twisting, clawing its way down his blade towards him.

    He drops the weapon and runs.

    In a panic the watchman flees back to the fort.

    He must stay on the path.

    Should he take but one step off of it he will be lost forever.

    Around him the forest springs to life.

    Every tree reveals a score of red eyes staring back at him.

    Every bush giggles, chuckles, whistles with the mischief and malice of the damned.

    He does not look, to look would be to lose everything.

    He runs.

    Faster.

    And faster still.

    He is so close now.

    Braches snap. Boughs break.

    The entire forest screams at the watchman.

    Perhaps that is why he fails to notice his death waiting just around the corner.

    The wolf is a bolt of auburn against a black night.

    Fire on oil.

    Blood on the cool, dark earth.

    It closes its jaws around his neck.

    It sinks its teeth deep.

    The watchman dies.

    The forest cries in triumph.

    ------------------------------------------

    You howl.

    In this eternal, dreaming forest. The hunt and the kill is everything.

    You feel complete, whole, as you tear a strip off the dying watchman.

    Daintily, you wipe the blood from your muzzle as your companions slink out of the shadows towards you. One black, one brown. Thaïs and Lyssa respectively.

    Thaïs lets out a low series of yelps, "Nice kill Derryth," she eyes your prey hungrily but you made the kill and you get to have the first crack at it.

    You carefully tear a chunk from the man. Lyssa edges closer to the corpse. Her presumption annoys you. You let out a slight growl of warning, "Don't either of you have something to do other than watch me eat?"

    Lyssa whines in response, her ears plastered back, "Not really no. We all have to wait for the right moment to strike and there are only so many patrols."

    You understand every noise either of them make.

    For a second that strikes you as odd though you shrug it off after only a moment.

    They are your pack and you serve the gods of the wild, dark forest. You will bring death to the men in their fort. Those that tried to tame it, to break it. You know you will succeed, eventually.

    You exhale sharply. They are not going to leave, they want some of the kill as well. You decide to be charitable, you are their leader but you are not a tyrant. You will share, "Alright you two. Come over here but no fighting."

    They fall on the corpse, tearing apart what little remains as you scan the trees in contemplation. They let out happy howls of appreciation as they devour the human.

    They sing your praises but something bothers you.

    You have the nagging suspicion that you had a greater purpose than this.

    That once you were not as you are now.

    It is very hazy but you could swear that there is more to your existence than hunting and killing.

    The idea is slippery though.

    Every time you reach to grab it, it slides away.

    You huff in frustration.

    That catches Thaïs' attention. She leaves the rest of the meat to Lyssa and sits down next to you, "Something the matter," she whispers.

    "Yes," you growl, "I just do not know what..."

    "Why not talk about it? That helps me," she pokes you with her muzzle trying to cheer you up.

    "I... I don't think any of this is right. I think we were not always like this..." you shift to your left uncomfortably and raise a paw to your face, "Every now and then I catch a face or a place that does not fit," you whine in pain as you force yourself to remember.

    Pain, suffering, misery arc through your mind. It would be so much easier to stop trying.

    The forest provides all. It protects you and your pack. It will comfort you. It will feed you. And someday when you die it will hug your body to its chest and take you back to the gods.

    What more could a wolf want after all?

    You are about to tell Thaïs that it is nothing when a nearby tree begins to swell.

    The forest screams.

    It tells you to run.

    You trust the forest and so you are about to do just that.

    You don't have time.

    The tree splits open as teal flames pour forth.

    The two of you yelp and race back to Lyssa.

    The three of you turn to run for the forest but the flames are faster.

    They encircle you, trap you.

    From the smouldering remains of the tree steps a man. Old, distinguished, dignified.

    You and your pack growl at him.

    He ignores you, instead he calls out to the forest, "You can not have them you know! They are mine and no second rate deity is going to fuck this up for me!"

    The forest reacts, a gremlin of stone and wood leaps at the man. It dissolves in mid air, splattering a nearby rock.

    He turns his gaze back to you as he clicks his tongue, "Oh Derryth. How do you get yourself into these situations?"

    He grins as the fires die down, "Now don't run. I am trying to help you here."

    He snaps a branch off a nearby tree and begins to focus on you and your pack.

    They whimper but you order them to stand their ground. For some reason you believe this man.

    The branch begins to glow.

    The forest screams.

    You close your eyes.

    He hits you.

    ---------------------------------------

    "You know girls, it is a damn good thing you did not have those ridiculous gloves on when you decided to do this! Do you have any idea how long it took me to find you in this dream forest? Any clue at all of what could have happened! No, don't answer that!" the three of you sit in a line, restored to your proper condition though you remember very little of your time as a forest creature. The Faceless Man paces before you, lecturing you, "If I had been incapacitated! Why, you would be stuck as animals for the rest of your days!"

    You do not really have time for this. You try to placate the mage, "Well thank you again for your help but we really must be-"

    "What you 'must be doing' young lady is sit there and listen," another forest spirit leaps out at him, a twisted amalgam of a catfish, a canary and a weasel, and he snuffs it out without breaking stride.

    By your count that makes forty two, not one of them has come close to threatening the Faceless Man.

    He sighs dramatically, "You girls will be the death of me you know that!" while you are in fact grateful for his aid you also have had more than enough of his crap.

    You ignore him and cast your mind out, looking for the source of the spell that dragged you down into this dream world. It is faint but you find it. The source of the Oneiroi spell is ahead of you, in that fort of white brick.

    You stand and begin to walk past him towards the fort in the distance.

    He steps in front of you, "Where are you going?"

    "We have a job to do," you respond as you step around him, "I intend to finish it."

    "Like hell you will," he grabs your arm, "You are coming back with me to where it is safe!"

    You grin at the Faceless Man, "If you want to try and force me to then be my guest."

    You think he might just do it to until Thaïs interrupts, "If you are concerned with our safety then why not come with us? You constantly tell us that we are your apprentices, well what better time to teach us something?"

    "Exactly," you nod, "Show us what you have got... I mean unless you are scared..."

    "I am not scared," he growls, but that cut him a little.

    Thaïs seizes on the opening, "He is right Derryth. We can not say he is scared and we certainly can not say he is a coward-"

    "Ladies," he tries to interrupt as you both ignore him.

    You call on every little trick your friend has taught you, you feign surprise and actually do a decent job of it, "Oh no, I would not call him a coward at all! Why he is quite brave to come out here when he is so terrified!"

    "Ladies," he tries again a little louder. Again you both ignore him.

    Your friend nods enthusiastically, "Yes, it must be very difficult to choke down your fear like that. Why if I were that petrified, that fearful, that anxious, that-"

    "Ladies!" he shouts at the top of his lungs.

    You turn to him in unison, a look of surprise and concern fastened carefully to your faces, "Yes?" Thaïs responds innocently.

    Your group stands in silence as he fumes.

    The stillness of the night is only broken when another forest spirit launches itself at the Faceless Man, a bizarre mixture of a dog, a beetle and a lizard. He catches it by the throat and snaps its neck.

    He sighs, "Let's just get this over with..." he turns and stalks off towards the fort with the three of you in pursuit.

    -----------------------------------------

    The Oneiroi compound in this dreamscape is far more impressive than it is in reality.

    The walls are high and thick, dozens of guards stand watch, looking out into the forest, and you can feel something powerful radiating magical energy from the center of the compound.

    "So what are our options?" you ask your group.

    "Let me handle it?" the Faceless Man suggests with a smile, "I can bring down those gates with little effort."

    That sounds too easy. There must be a catch and it seems Thaïs thinks the same thing as that is what she asks, "You have never been this free with your power before. What changed?"

    He grins, "Smart girl. Here we are in a space outside of physical reality. A place that is not my home but one I am vaguely familiar with. Here I can steal a little power and make it my own. Of course to attack that fortress will require a little more power than I can currently draw on. I can take care of the fort but you will need to grant me just a little extra power to do so. Link your minds up to mine and I will have this fort levelled in no time at all."

    "So this is yet another attempt to get into our heads," you grumble. Not angry, not surprised really, just a little disappointed.

    "Well it would only be a little part of your minds. Just a single point of contact so that you can feed me the extra energy I need. Of course if you want to do this without my help be my guest," he gestures to the imposing fortress with a self satisfied smirk firmly fixed to his face.

    That sounds like a challenge.

    You turn to your allies, "If we were going to do it, how would we go about it?"

    Thaïs begins, "Mental control spells? We compel one of the guards to open the gate and go from there?"

    Lyssa speaks up, uncertain of herself, "There are other minds out there in the forest in the form of animals of various shapes and sizes, like we were. I could try to talk to them, try to convince them to help us. They could provide us with the numbers to take the fort by force if we cover them with illusions and mental manipulation spells."

    Fairly good plans all things considered, "Perhaps we could do both. We get a guard to open the gates and then unleash the whole forest on them."

    The three of you nod in unison as the Faceless Man frowns, "That is a horrible plan. It will never work," he snorts dismissively.

    You are not so sure though. You think it might work and that, that is what annoys the archmage.

    You are about to make your decision when another forest spirit materializes, it is a creature of spotted fur and living rock, feathers and greenwood.

    It does not attack however, instead it bows lows.

    It chatters at you and though you have trouble understanding it at first, gradually its words become intelligible, "You are enemies of the fort men? You help us and we help you! Open gates and we will take care of the rest!"

    An interesting proposition but can you trust these creatures?

    You remember very little from your time as a wolf and what you do remember is quite hazy. You do remember though that the forest spirits and their gods hate the fort and its guards more than anything. While the spirits are notoriously untrustworthy that hatred is something you can count on.

    They could very well betray you but the Faceless Man can act as quite the deterrent and there is no way to stop them from involving themselves anyway should they desire or see an opportunity...


    1. Unravelling the Spell: You need to get inside that fort to unravel the final Oneiroi spell, how do you want to do it?

    A) You don't - You have taken out most of the Oneiroi spells, that will have to be good enough. You attempt to return to your bodies using the Faceless Man's help.

    B) Archmage Assault - You want to see what a Fallen Lord can really do.

    C) Assault Independently - You, Thaïs and Lyssa will use your own spells to assault the fort. You will compel one of the guards to open the doors then attack with every resource you can muster.

    D) Diplomacy - You try to gain access to the fort by negotiating with the garrison. Perhaps you can convince them that you are watchmen that got lost in the forest though you are not confident.

    E) freeform - Gain entry to the fort your own way.


    2. The Forest Spirits: The strange forest spirits have offered to help you attack the fort. You do not really trust them but you think they may just attack anyway once the gate is down. Do you agree to work with them?

    A) Yes

    B) No
     
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

    Fangshi
    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Messages:
    1,997
    Not much this time around, the energon cubes were split up and you have gained a temporary party member.

    Party/Organization Changes:

    Show Spoiler
    Party Changes:

    Derryth:

    Lost the Following Magical Items:

    1. Lost Nine Energon Cubes: Eight given to party members, 1 used in spell.

    Thaïs:

    Gained the Following Magical Items:

    1. Gained 4 Energon Cubes

    Lost the Following Magical Items:

    1. Lost 1 Energon Cube in spell

    Lyssa:

    Gained the Following Magical Items:

    1. Gained 4 Energon Cubes

    Lost the Following Magical Items:

    1. Lost 1 Energon Cube in spell

    The Faceless Man:

    Joins party as Neutral Observer
     
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Grimgravy Augur Patron

    Grimgravy
    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,290
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    CA

    the spirits may be people like the guard. People misled by our enemy.
     
    ^ Top  
  20. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    CA for me as well.

    We are here so we might as well try to do some work. Faceless guy is useful, but of course he would try to use anything we gave him against us. Diplomacy option is silly here. As for the spirits, well it's quite possible they would attack the fort anyway, so we might as well work with them.
     
    ^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    The likely thing that is going on here is that the Oneiroi are channelling the power of one of the minor deities to work their magic. Those spirits are decidedly not people like the guard, because those are the watchmen, serving the Oneiroi in their deaths. It looks like the deity and its creatures bear the fort-dwellers some resentment, but I don't think hatred is something you can build a working relationship on. Most All of the gods in the setting are alien and cruel. If they want to interfere, so be it, but to work with them is a bit much for me.

    Maybe I am making a mistake here. I don't know enough to decide.

    CB.
     
    ^ Top  
  22. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,193
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, well, it's already looking a bit band-wagony, but I'll go with CA as well.
     
    ^ Top  
  23. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    Well, what would working with the spirits actually involve? Besides not attacking them? And how would that be any different if they decide to attack the fort anyway when we open the door? Of course we shouldn't let our guard down around them, but I don't think there is any danger of them turning on us until the fort is fallen. It's possible they'll try it then, but is there a clear motive for them doing so? And by then they might have taken enough damage (the wording seems to imply they would do the actual fighting once the doors are open) to prevent them from doing this.

    Hell, maybe voting B would have them attack both us and the fort once we do and take enough damage in the assault. I think it is better it is them in the first line and not us.
     
    ^ Top  
  24. Nevill Arcane

    Nevill
    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2009
    Messages:
    11,063
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Letting them into the fort, for one. We might be able to close the gate once we enter, separating ourselves both from their help and their betrayal (because, really, who are you kidding? they will turn on you). In 2A, we are allowing them inside freely, and there is no telling how many are there.

    Maybe.
     
    ^ Top  
  25. Zero Credibility Arcane

    Zero Credibility
    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2,881
    Ok, but what's their motive for doing that? And if they were dead set on attacking us they will not give us the opportunity to close the doors at all. The plan is to compel one of the guards to open the doors and charge in. But the spirits are likely to be right next to us when that happens, deal or no deal they want that place gone - what if they see the open door and charge in? Stop them first, then make the assault on our own? That's not very likely to work.
     
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.