Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    When we fled from Melete's shop, the Oneiroi hit us with a spell in a form of a cloud.
    Keep this in mind when you drag everyone into their headquarters - the more people you have with you, the harder it is to dodge an AoE spell.

Last edited: May 20, 2014
    ^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Wait, we were seriously buying the spider just to destroy it? Just... why? Even if it is an artifact of the spider goddess, her connection is severed, it'll take her a long time to form a new one, even through this artifact. The fact that it hasn't been flagged as anything more than a spinner by experienced artificers should be indicative that it is not potent in that way. The greatest risk to us is having someone familiar with her using it to rekindle a connection, which is why buying it in the first place was a terrible idea because the only ones who are familiar with her and capable of it are in our camp.

Regardless of whether it is a Spider Goddess item, I'm deadset against destroying it. We wasted resources on this, let's get some advantage out of it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Yeah, things could turn ugly in there. If possible we should be advancing hidden behind illusions and with some illusion bait in front of us to draw fire from defenders. We do have a master of illusion spells with us this time and should make full use of her abilities.

^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I am sorry, what connection do you think is severed and why?

We do not know if it was the only cult who worshipped the Goddess, she is still alive and well, and the artefacts related to her are apparently scattered throughout the world. The more we destroy, the less chances there are of them falling into the wrong hands. It's not like our kids are unique in that regard - anyone could fall for the promises of one of the Dark Gods.

We'll be undertaking something akin to the Connacht's great purge of the artefacts, when the man went on a crusade to destroy as many magical trnkets as possible so that they didn't fall in the hands of the Dark. Don't know how successful he was, though. :)

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They are subtle but now that you ask Lyssa she can detect spells coming from the heart of the compound. Turns out it is not all in your head. Thaïs can confirm it as well now that she knows where to look.

There are definitely spells at play here though nothing any of you are familiar. They do not seem to be illusions and you are not sure what they are.

Sure, if you want to try and peal off any spell in effect before the Arrows go in you can do that. Just let me know and I will add an option.

It will probably remove any element of surprise you may have though... assuming you have the element of surprise.

It should take maybe half an hour if you encounter no resistance.

At the moment, no.

Current Tally (open)

Nevill:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Greater Energy Bolt 8.x

Smashing Axe:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C

Zero Credibility:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.x

Kz3r0:
    1.A 2.- 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.A 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C

asxetos:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A

A) 1 vote
    B) 4 votes

A) 4 votes
    B)

A)
    B) 5 votes
    i. 5 votes
    ii. 5 votes
    iii. 3 vote
    iv. 3 vote
    v. 5 votes

A)
    B) 5 votes (5 votes to split them evenly 4/4/4)

A) 1 vote
    B) 4 votes

A)
    B) 5 votes

Derryth:
    Heal 5 votes
    Thaïs:
    Heal 4 votes
    Greater Energy Bolt 1 vote

A) 1 vote
    B)
    C) 2 votes

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Absolutely, I do't like such a 'surprise factor' as being trapped in a dream, or whatever else these spells are about.
    Besides, maybe in this way we will manage to drag them out.

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright:

Added as Question 8:

8. You are certain that a number of spells are emanating from the center of the compound, they are faint but they are there. You are not sure whether you want to enter while the spells are still active. You think that the three of you should be able to dispel them (you will each have to use an energon cube to avoid being drained though). It will take roughly a half an hour to dispel, you think, provided you meet no resistance. You will also have to move to the edge of the compound, the edge of the spells to dispel them. Do you dispel them?

A) Yes

B) No

C) Yes, but send the Arrows in while you work.

D) Dispel them after the Arrows secure the building but before you go inside.

E) freeform

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Is that an energon cube each, or one energon cube total? Will we be done with dispelling by the time the reserves sweep in?

^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    One cube each and my understanding was that you would dispel the spells before sending anyone in. If you want to do it while the Arrows are attacking I will add that as an option.

Also before I forget you will naturally have to move closer to the compound to dispel these spells. You can't do it from where you are. Just outside the front gate should work.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. asxetos Augur

asxetos
    8A. Have the Arrows wait and defend us until we take down the spells. Then proceed as planned.

^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    8C - The mages will act to curb us otherwise. We need a distraction in the meantime.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    This.
    8C added to my previous vote.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, what is Ceannard's opinion on this? The man is not a mage, but he is in charge of the operation. He is the one sending his own people in there. If we blow up the compound while they are inside, I bet he won't be terribly happy.

I'll also add D) Dispell them after the Arrows secure the building but before you go inside.

Though I am not voting yet.

^ Top  
  14. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    1. B)
    2. A)
    3. B)

i. Thaïs

ii. Lyssa

iii. Biliku

v. Ceannard
    4. B 4/4/4 - Split them evenly.

5. B)

6.B)

Heal for both.

8 C - distraction and if its that soul catcher thing is used to reanimate troops luring them to fight before drooping spell could be beneficial.
    9. B

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    ^ Top  
  15. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well you are not being 100% honest with him in C. You, or rather Thaïs, will tell him that for you to dispel the spells his men should distract the enemy which is not a complete lie but certainly is not the full truth either.

As for his inclinations, he would prefer you minimize the risk they are exposed to but at the end of the day he is perfectly fine with losing a few people to complete a contract. He is a mercenary captain, he knows the risks.

Added. But it will only work if you go with the second wave naturally.

Current Tally (open)
    Nevill:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Greater Energy Bolt 8.C 9.B

Smashing Axe:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.B

Zero Credibility:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A>C 9.C>A

Kz3r0:
    1.A 2.- 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.A 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.A

asxetos:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A 9.x

Jester:
    1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C 9.x

Grimgravy:
    1.A 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 6/4/2 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A 9.B

A) 2 votes
    B) 5 votes

A) 6 votes
    B)

A)
    B) 7 votes:
    i. 7 votes
    ii. 7 votes
    iii. 5 vote
    iv. 4 vote
    v. 7 votes

A)
    B) 7 votes (6 votes to split them evenly 4/4/4, 1 vote 6 to Derryth, 4 to Thaïs, and 2 to Lyssa 6/4/2 )

A) 1 vote
    B) 6 votes

A)
    B) 7 votes

Derryth:
    Heal 7 votes
    Thaïs:
    Heal 6 votes
    Greater Energy Bolt 1 vote

A) 2 votes
    B)
    C) 5 votes

A) 2 votes
    B) 3 votes

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    All right, so what does he count as a risk? I don't like being dishonest with a man we are counting on to protect our lives once we go inside.

From what we know of him, will he find D acceptable if we tell him what we are going to do?

This is actually an important question. What does he think is more risky - to enter the enchanted compound, or to have us work on dispelling it with his people inside?

Why not remove the mages out of the picture entirely by sending the Arrows first, then having them take control over the building, and then dispelling the enchantments on the compound in a relative safety?

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    1. Blowing up the compound with his men in it.

2. Knowingly throwing them in the line of danger when it can be avoided.

3. Withholding information from him that could help him succeed.

That sort of thing. But at the end of the day you hired these guys to be your meatshields.

How much do you want to worry over their safety is the question I guess.

Well if you go with D you will essentially be showing him that you are worried enough about this not to go inside while the spells are up but that you are also willing to send his men in 'unprotected'. He is not terribly likely to like that.

If there are area effect spells active in there you would be exposing more of his men for longer to its effects as well since you will be waiting until the compound is secure. The trade off is that if they can succeed you will have a much easier time dispelling the spells since the enemy mages will likely be dead or incapacitated.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fine! What is the vote that allows us to warn him and lets him decide on how to proceed?

This is his operation, after all. We give him the details, and he can choose what to do with them himself.

How can throwing his men in danger be avoided without exposing us to danger? That is not what you want to do with a paying client, right?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well he knows the spells are there now. You, Lyssa and Thaïs are having this conversation like a metre from the guy after all. :lol:

He is willing to defer to your judgement since he is not a mage and you are the experts here on magic. In A you tell him to hold his men back until you have dealt with the spells. They will be safest but you will probably also face resistance from the enemy mages once they realize what you are doing. In B you just go ahead anyway and sort it all out later. In C you tell him to launch the attack as cover while you unravel their spells. The Arrows face greater danger but you will likely meet less resistance. In D you let the Arrows take the majority of the risk then unravel the spells before you enter.

He does not know what the right course of action is so it is down to Derryth's impeccable judgement.

Give up and go home?

Oh, he is perfectly willing to do this without your help in which case you will be completely safe (in theory). If you do not want to take part you can just wait for them to finish. He is accepting your input because he knows you are all competent and he believes you can take care of yourselves. If you were some clueless noblewoman from Muirthemne he would not have even taken you on the job.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    I must say that D is the worst option, it exposes the Arrows to danger while leaving the spells in place, and we don't know that they do.
    C is a calculated risk an the best option strategy wise.
    A seems as the safest option, unravel the spells an then attack, the problem is that will make us the defenders, not a good strategy IMHO.

^ Top  
  21. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    I wish we still had our anti-magic grenade, that would take care of the spells just nicely. Anyway, I too think that we shouldn't go in until we have taken out the spells protecting the place. Yes, we might have the element of surprise right now. Or not. But something tells me those spells are really bad news.

I'm voting A > C on that one. Everyone stays in cover until we have taken out the spells. Yes, this will tip them off. If they try attacking us in the open they'll just get slaughterer by the Arrows, so they'll try to dig in instead. But with the help of some illusion spells (both to hide our men and to create decoys for them to attack) and our own spells to take control of some of the defenders, I'm pretty sure we can breach whatever defence they can come up with. Hopefully. In any case, I'd prefer that to charging into a building with a potentially very powerful and dangerous spell on it.

edit:
    8) C > A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    This seems the most sensible strategy, anyone else agree to use it?

^ Top  
  23. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Actually you do have your last heaven stone. If you think an antimagic grenade could be useful you could use it up. I can add the option if you would like.

Is that a vote for A>C?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Yes, but if we can use an anti-magic grenade I would like to propose first we launch the grenade then the Arrows attack while we unravel the remaining spells, after that we enter the compund to help the Arrows.

^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Hmmm... okay, the way I will do that is to split that up into two questions. I will add a question 9 about whether or not you want to use up your last heaven stone (remember that once destabilized you can not turn it back and it is gone forever when you use it).

9.Anti-magic grenade: You will be going up against a group of mages and their spells, an anti-magic grenade could come in handy but it will use up your last heaven stone. You will throw the grenade at the beginning of the assault to take out as many of the spells in place as possible, you will then proceed as in 8. Do you make one?

A)Yes

B)No

So the plan you suggested would be 8.C and 9.A

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.