Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
B
A
B i, ii, iii, iv, v
B 4 even split
B God no. I hope we didn't just buy this expensive thing just to destroy it.
B
Derryth's Ring: Heal
Thais' Ring: Heal

Nevill, you realise 2A is the vote for mopping up, right?

Shame it's not a wooden building. That would be perfect - force them outside where they can be picked off by arrows and knocked out by our spells. Though I suppose we did already burn enough of the city down as it is. Maybe we should have drawn out one of the guards to us with our magic and then probed his mind for info about the compound. How many, what defences they have, that kind of thing.

Anyway, voting cautious for once:

1. B - yeah, I too am more worried about the Arrows than the mages.
2. A - on the other hand, if we just let the arrows do this they could quite likely fail. We are the mages, we will need to be there after the first strike.
3. Do I even vote for this since I voted to go in with the second wave? Anyway, I don't want to risk our fighter girls unnecessary. Thais is definitely in, and so is Lyssa in the second row. Once we get close enough the spells on our cursed items will start working in our favour.
4. B - split them up equally between our mages, that's what they are there for.
5. C > B - find out more about the item before destroying it just because it looks like a spider. That doesn't mean anything. It was quite likely made to look like a spider because it produces thread.
6. B - wait for time and tools. Smashing up things is just silly.
7. No question, have us put the heal spell in both rings now that we have mastered it. We can do that, right?

Also, it goes without saying that we should use our heaven stone before entering.

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
We can do that, right?

Yes.

Maybe we should have drawn out one of the guards to us with our magic and then probed his mind for info about the compound. How many, what defences they have, that kind of thing.

Gareth would have but Derryth did not think of it and Ceannard seems a bit keen to annihilate these guys quickly.

Do I even vote for this since I voted to go in with the second wave?

As long as you are going in (1st or 2nd wave) then yes. It only doesn't matter if you choose to stay outside though even then feel free to give your preference.

find out more about the item before destroying it just because it looks like a spider.

I will put you down for B then. You will get a chance to research it later as long as it is not destroyed. You can also call for a vote to destroy it at any time should you wish (that goes for anything in your possession really).

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we pour two-mages worth of power into an assault spell and stuff it in the ring?

I want my stun baton.

Or do they require maintenance?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can we pour two-mages worth of power into an assault spell and stuff it in the ring?

It will still top out at what Derryth or Thaïs could do on their own. You will need to come up with a stronger assault spell first. You could put 'mass assault' in one though if you wanted to clear a room quickly.

Or do they require maintenance?

No, but if the target has a strong will one may not do much.

Current Tally:

Nevill:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: x Thaïs: x

Smashing Axe:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal

Zero Credibility:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v? 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal

A)
B) 3 votes

A) 3 votes
B)

A)
B) 3 votes
i. 3 votes
ii. 3 votes
iii. 1 vote
iv. 1 vote
v. 3 votes?

A)
B) 3 votes (3 votes to split them evenly 4/4/4)

A)
B) 3 votes

A)
B) 3 votes

Derryth:
Heal 2 votes
Thaïs:
Heal 2 votes

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
I guess I'll put the Greater Energy Bolt in Thais' ring, as she knows what the spell is doing and when to use it, and Heal in Derryth's ring.

I'd like to have some heavy firepower on hand in case we stumble upon a surprise.

Kz3r0

Arcane
1.A

3.B
i. Thaïs

ii. Lyssa

iii. Biliku

iv. Uttu

v. Ceannard

4.B 4/4/4 - Split them evenly.

5.A

6.B

Heal for both.

Edit:
8C.

Edit 2:
9.A

Fangshi can we ask Lyssa's opinion as an illusionist about the Oneroi compound?
I suspect that their compound is some kind of 'dream', so, entering it will put us at their mercy, if this is true we must dispel it first.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
5. C > B - find out more about the item before destroying it just because it looks like a spider. That doesn't mean anything. It was quite likely made to look like a spider because it produces thread.
It was sold by a strange old guy out of Muirthemne, too much of a coincidence for me.

Nevill

Arcane
Wouldn't want to create a precedent of destroying stuff before understanding what it was about. We are sane enough not to blast everything spider-related on sight.

Now that I think about it, this might become a problem in the future:
You suspect that Biliku, Uttu, and Christine still believe in their spider goddess to a degree though they do not openly worship her so you can not be sure. You are fairly certain that they are convinced that she is a different being from the one they fought.
Biliku, Uttu
Skills:
Sheltered Upbringing - You lived a sheltered life for whatever reason. It has made you a little naive.
You feel a presence in the back of your mind. The same presence that tried to protect the cube from you. It is satisfied, it is hopeful, it wants you to pick up the egg so that the two of you may talk in person.

It is so sweet, so nurturing, so kind. It promises you wealth, and power, and knowledge. It promises you Tyrvard... it promises you Henry. You do not believe any of it for even a second.
I wonder if we (or better yet, Thais) can talk to the girls about it. They are too naive to know better than to seek contact with their goddess if an opportunity becomes available.

In any case, we should be cautious around this artefact.

Last edited:
Yeah, we should get Thais to talk to the girls about that. And the other kids back home as well. As for this item, if it was really an artefact from our late friend's goddess, why would he sell it to someone? I suppose it's possible, but I don't want to destroy our investment based on just this. Do we sense the same kind of presence in it as we did in the artefacts we destroyed?

Anyway, I'm getting a distinctly bad vibe from this place as well. But with all the people we could have interrogated already dead, what can we do? It's why I voted not to go in the first wave. I don't think the Arrows would appreciate being used as a canaries, but it's either that or go in blindly. I wish there was some way of flushing them out instead of going in. But since burning the place down would be too difficult (and probably not a wise decision after the last incident)... Have our new illusionist cover our approach, maybe that will help.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Wouldn't want to create a precedent of destroying stuff before understanding what it was about. We are sane enough not to blast everything spider-related on sight.

You are forgetting another link, the Dwarves in Muirthemne adoreed a dark entity, probably the Spider Goddess considering that the royal hammer was among the relics of the spider cult.
This artefact looks like something made by them, if you guys are so stingy we can always ask to the Academy about it, and then destroy it.

Nevill

Arcane
The Path of Clarity - A difficult enchantment that helps the mind cut through illusions. Often applies to headgear or necklaces but suitable for anything. It provides no protection against mental attacks however.
Fangshi, how difficult are the enchantments to cast? Do they need to be maintained?

You are forgetting another link, the Dwarves in Muirthemne adoreed a dark entity, probably the Spider Goddess considering that the royal hammer was among the relics of the spider cult.
The hammer is the relic than belonged to the House of Albrecht, and was stolen from them. It does not necessarily constitute a link.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
I doubt heal will be that useful since the Oneiroi go mainly for incapacitating spells and we dont have anything to use against those. That being said, heal is always good to have handy.

1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal

Its time we brought the girls along for some adventure too. The Arrows will take the first hit so it should be relatively easier for the second wave. Caenard MUST be tasked with their protection as first priority though.

I am tempted to destroy the spinner right here and now but i guess we can give it some time provided that it stays out of reach from the girls (maybe Derryth sould carry it on her at all times). Keep the mystery box ofc.

Nevill

Arcane
When we fled from Melete's shop, the Oneiroi hit us with a spell in a form of a cloud.
You and Thaïs each lash out at a target with assault spells. Two of the mages crumple to the ground, the third however unleashes a lavender mist aimed directly at Thaïs. You see the spell engulf her before it happens, no doubt thanks to the bracelets you share, quickly you grab her and pull. You tumble together out of the way as the cloud flies past her and hits Meletē. She begins to gasp as she collapses to the ground. She can not breathe. The mage curses and casts a second spell aimed at the inventor. The cloud dissipates as her breathing steadies but her eyes remain closed and she does not rise.
Keep this in mind when you drag everyone into their headquarters - the more people you have with you, the harder it is to dodge an AoE spell.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Wait, we were seriously buying the spider just to destroy it? Just... why? Even if it is an artifact of the spider goddess, her connection is severed, it'll take her a long time to form a new one, even through this artifact. The fact that it hasn't been flagged as anything more than a spinner by experienced artificers should be indicative that it is not potent in that way. The greatest risk to us is having someone familiar with her using it to rekindle a connection, which is why buying it in the first place was a terrible idea because the only ones who are familiar with her and capable of it are in our camp.

Regardless of whether it is a Spider Goddess item, I'm deadset against destroying it. We wasted resources on this, let's get some advantage out of it.

When we fled from Melete's shop, the Oneiroi hit us with a spell in a form of a cloud.

Keep this in mind when you drag everyone to their headquarters - the more people you have with you, the harder it is to dodge an AoE spell.
Yeah, things could turn ugly in there. If possible we should be advancing hidden behind illusions and with some illusion bait in front of us to draw fire from defenders. We do have a master of illusion spells with us this time and should make full use of her abilities.

Nevill

Arcane
Even if it is an artifact of the spider goddess, her connection is severed, it'll take her a long time to form a new one, even through this artifact.
I am sorry, what connection do you think is severed and why?

We do not know if it was the only cult who worshipped the Goddess, she is still alive and well, and the artefacts related to her are apparently scattered throughout the world. The more we destroy, the less chances there are of them falling into the wrong hands. It's not like our kids are unique in that regard - anyone could fall for the promises of one of the Dark Gods.

We'll be undertaking something akin to the Connacht's great purge of the artefacts, when the man went on a crusade to destroy as many magical trnkets as possible so that they didn't fall in the hands of the Dark. Don't know how successful he was, though. :)

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Fangshi can we ask Lyssa's opinion as an illusionist about the Oneroi compound?

They are subtle but now that you ask Lyssa she can detect spells coming from the heart of the compound. Turns out it is not all in your head. Thaïs can confirm it as well now that she knows where to look.

There are definitely spells at play here though nothing any of you are familiar. They do not seem to be illusions and you are not sure what they are.

I suspect that their compound is some kind of 'dream', so, entering it will put us at their mercy, if this is true we must dispel it first.

Sure, if you want to try and peal off any spell in effect before the Arrows go in you can do that. Just let me know and I will add an option.

It will probably remove any element of surprise you may have though... assuming you have the element of surprise.

It should take maybe half an hour if you encounter no resistance.

Zero Credibility said:
Do we sense the same kind of presence in it as we did in the artefacts we destroyed?

At the moment, no.

Nevill:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Greater Energy Bolt 8.x

Smashing Axe:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C

Zero Credibility:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.x

Kz3r0:
1.A 2.- 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B 4/4/4 5.A 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.C

asxetos:
1.B 2.A 3.B)i,ii,iii,iv,v 4.B4/4/4 5.B 6.B 7.Derryth: Heal Thaïs: Heal 8.A

A) 1 vote
B) 4 votes

A) 4 votes
B)

A)
B) 5 votes
i. 5 votes
ii. 5 votes
iii. 3 vote
iv. 3 vote
v. 5 votes

A)
B) 5 votes (5 votes to split them evenly 4/4/4)

A) 1 vote
B) 4 votes

A)
B) 5 votes

Derryth:
Heal 5 votes
Thaïs:
Heal 4 votes
Greater Energy Bolt 1 vote

A) 1 vote
B)
C) 2 votes

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
Sure, if you want to try and peal off any spell in effect before the Arrows go in you can do that. Just let me know and I will add an option.

It will probably remove any element of surprise you may have though... assuming you have the element of surprise.

It should take maybe half an hour if you encounter no resistance.
Absolutely, I do't like such a 'surprise factor' as being trapped in a dream, or whatever else these spells are about.
Besides, maybe in this way we will manage to drag them out.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright:

Added as Question 8:

8. You are certain that a number of spells are emanating from the center of the compound, they are faint but they are there. You are not sure whether you want to enter while the spells are still active. You think that the three of you should be able to dispel them (you will each have to use an energon cube to avoid being drained though). It will take roughly a half an hour to dispel, you think, provided you meet no resistance. You will also have to move to the edge of the compound, the edge of the spells to dispel them. Do you dispel them?

A) Yes

B) No

C) Yes, but send the Arrows in while you work.

D) Dispel them after the Arrows secure the building but before you go inside.

E) freeform

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Is that an energon cube each, or one energon cube total? Will we be done with dispelling by the time the reserves sweep in?

Fangshi

Arcane
One cube each and my understanding was that you would dispel the spells before sending anyone in. If you want to do it while the Arrows are attacking I will add that as an option.

Also before I forget you will naturally have to move closer to the compound to dispel these spells. You can't do it from where you are. Just outside the front gate should work.

asxetos

Augur
8A. Have the Arrows wait and defend us until we take down the spells. Then proceed as planned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom