Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    So, time to choose a new character? :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Not until after 24 hours.

There is still time to set up secondary votes... Why don't you vote, Azira? Who are we to blame when it will inevitably fail?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, that's just the thing here. I'm not sure of what to do at all, and in cases like that, I shut my yap and watch where the pieces fall. If I don't vote, I can't blame anyone, nor would I blame myself.

Trying to detach myself here.. :M

Besides, this isn't treaves CYOA. Blame Baltika9. :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    Haha, no. I'm not on scapegoat duty here. Nevill is.

^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    And so the needle turns. +M

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Following tradition, I only accept blame for the options I vote for. :M

^ Top  
  7. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well all D options are being counted together...

:troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    So thats why they are being counted together. Nice thinking bro.

^ Top  
  9. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Blame me guys, I am the one pushing for offing The Faceless Man after all.

^ Top  
  10. GreyViper Erudite

GreyViper
    Di time to roll that dice

^ Top  
  11. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    'k

What are our chances here?

Kz3r0 rolled 100-sided di(c)e: Chances of success. Total: 22
    ^ Top  
  12. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    I"d probably say lower than that. Remember archmages can piss on gods in this setting

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, what is Derryth's attitute towards TFM she'll be going with in D?

To defeat the archmage? Or to try and talk some sense into his head if possible?

Choices E and F are quite clear-cut, but with D it is a bit murky.

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    To kill him primarily. Failing that to weaken him enough that she can force him back into the bracelets.

Willingly freeing the creature is in essence a declaration of war and she is fairly certain she knows how he will respond.

She does not really believe she can talk sense into him though. She will try to threaten him, she will invoke Mazzarin's name and try to force him to comply. It might work, depends on how angry he gets really. She is certain that she will not be able to get him to agree with her willingly, he is set on this course of action and the only way to stop him is by removing the possibility.

She knows this because she understands why he is acting this way. He has been trapped for years, maybe decades, in the bracelets and this is the first real chance he has had at freedom. She is not certain that she would not do the exact same thing...

She is also quite confident that if she tries to stop him and fails he will attack them and carry out his threat. Not necessarily because he will hate her but because he said he would do it and at that point it would be the principle of the thing. She is fairly certain that he would view it as a 'lesson' for them and little more.

Best outcome for Derryth in D is that he dies and solves her problem.

Second best outcome is that he loses and/or is so weakened that she can force him to return to his prison. (Only really possible in Di)

The worst (and arguably most likely outcome) is that he wins and does everything he said he would...

Any negotiations that do take place will be tense ones. The working relationship Derryth has with the Faceless Man will not survive any attempts by her to sabotage his efforts but that goes without saying.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    But if he wins, will he be able to force the creature to power the spell back up?

If it fails, could we try and kill the spirit as a last 'Fuck you' so that the TFM never finds his way back, except for the bracers?

^ Top  
  16. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Assuming Di here since Dii will be a straight up ambush.

If he binds him down again with those bricks... yes... it might take time and the creature might be able to get help but it should be doable for the Faceless Man.

It would depend on how well the creature does fighting the Faceless Man (which is to say rolling would be involved so I don't know). The creature does not (and in fact can not) hold back, it will go all out. The Faceless Man will be trying to restrain the creature so he will have to hold back a little.

If the creature wins then problem solved (or at least that problem will be solved), if it loses then it will all come down to how much it loses by.

If it just about kills the archmage then you might be able to get away with killing one or both of them but if the Faceless Man rolls right over it then he will easily be able to stop you from doing anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Welp. Sounds like we're screwed.

Honestly, letting him go has less chance of backfiring on us than any of the other options. The rest spell DOOM

^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Last thing.

If we kill ourselves while TFM is still in this realm... what would happen? Or what Derryth thinks would happen?

He is still tied to the bracelets and their enchantments, is he not?

If it is possible to will yourself to live, as the officer is doing right now, is it possible to will yourself to die?

^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Will yourself out of existence? Your body dies and the bracelets are useless again until new owners can be found.

Derryth does not know. He is not technically in the bracelets right now and she does not really know how they work.

One possibility is that he is dragged back into them as they deactivate.

Another is that he is cut loose from them and left in the dream realm. If the gate is still functional he would still be able to use it in that case.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait.

If the ambush fails, will it not turn into a fight similar to the one we get with Di, since the gate spell would be deactivated, and there would be no way back except by binding the creature again?

Ugh. Wish we had gone with C...

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    If the creature drops the spell early yes (though in that case it essentially becomes Di so there would be little point in having Dii as an option).

Otherwise no.

If it times it right then the Faceless Man will take an obscene amount of damage as his mind is blasted while in transit. He would have to roll extraordinarily well to survive that. If it is late which is the biggest risk in Dii then he will pass through unharmed. You do not know whether he will know you tried to kill him or not.

Current Tally (open)
    Current Tally:

Baltika9 Di
    Grimgravy B
    Kipeci A>B
    Nevill B>Di
    Kz3r0 Dii
    Smashing Axe A>B>E>F>C>D
    Jester B
    archaen Dii
    asxetos D>F
    Zero Credibility B>Dii>F
    GreyViper Di

A) 2 votes
    B) 4 votes
    C)
    D) 5 votes:
    i. 2 votes
    ii. 2 votes
    E)
    F)
    G)
    H)

Post Flop:

A)
    B) 6 votes
    C)
    D) 5 votes
    i. 2 votes
    ii. 2 votes
    E)
    F)
    G)
    H)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    This could turn ugly. Tempted to make B my primary vote. At least if we convince the creature to drop the spell on him we have a chance to insta-kill him (or him not noticing the attempt), but if the creature doesn’t cooperate or we go with Di... not good.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I'll do it if you do it. B>Di.

Hell. This is getting out of control. There goes my line of thinking we could talk it through.

^ Top  
  24. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Flop to B. I mean, A is better since there's no chance of being devoured alive by the monster we're releasing for no reason, but at least it's not going to destroy everything we've worked for. Just us. Maybe.

Codex wants to have its cake and eat it too. It doesn't work like that always. This is one of those moments.

^ Top  
  25. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    And there is the army upstairs. Yeah, not thrilled about this at all.

But maybe we can convey to it that if it lets us go, Oneiroi will never trouble their realm anymore.

I'd like to point out that we can easily contain the archmage if only we sacrifice Lyssa with C.

Huh, my dice are on a roll!

Choosing from a list

From the options:

• The creature kills TFM and turns on us. We kill it and get back safely.
    • The creature kills TFM and kills us.
    • The creature kills TFM and lets us go.
    • TFM overwhelms the creature, incapacitates us and gets out. Slaughters everyone, makes us his slaves.
    • TFM overwhelms the creature, but we manage to kill it. TFM kills Lyssa out of spite.
    • TFM overwhelms the creature, but is too weak to oppose us. We kill him and return safely.
    • Derryth or Thais die during the battle, the bracelets fail and drag TFM out of the dreamworld.
    • Derryth or Thais die during the battle, the bracelets fail, but TFM still walks free. The living envy the dead.
    • We summon Shub-Niggurah. Everyone dies.

Random selection is: TFM overwhelms the creature, but is too weak to oppose us. We kill him and return safely.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.