Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    That's what I read as well. Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to convey.

The problem I see with trying to kill the mage - besides all of those I listed - is that it makes convincing him to spare the hostage difficult. True, it is not going to be easy as it is, but a direct assault would be a declaration of war.

If we are trying to off him now, then it means he is no longer useful to us - or so he would think. What is stopping us from giving him to Mazzarin then? What would make him step down and free Lyssa?

^ Top  
  2. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Divinity: Original Sin
    The guy's just doing what any reasonable person would do in a desperate situation. He wants a body and he's willing to do anything to get it. Let him have it, he's not all bad. He won't just kill us for no good reason. He's not crazy, not even evil, really. Just practical with a touch of arrogance.

I like him. He'd make a good master or ally. You know. Depending on what he wants. Isn't that what you want anyway? To make friends with everyone? This guy is a good friend! He's really powerful.

Also if he really wants to defeat Mazzarin, and if he needs allies to do it. Then raising us to archmages is on the table!

^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

Baltika9
    :lol: You're really desperate for some backstabbery.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Sure. Sadly, not any reasonable person has a reputation quite like his.

I wonder what is so unclear about the 'Ancient Evil' part.

I do, too. Unfortunately, I accept no masters.

I get flashbacks of the vote where I tried to get people to let Nine into Derryth's head for teh lulz. :D

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    ^ Top  
  5. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    Wait, what did you think by this then:
    Anyway, I'm going with my vote because I think it does have a chance of dealing with him permanently. It certainly sound like that in the F choice and I do think the creature has a better chance of pulling it off. The big problem is that the creature may not cooperate, but in that case it probably doesn't really matter what we tell it or if we tell it anything. In that case, well I just hope that the creature can distract him enough to prevent him from killing the hostage. Or maybe he will try convincing us that he was just bluffing about that hostage thing once his choices are us or seriously pissed off us.

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    If the creature will try to leave, as was written in the quote, the gate would remain, only it would be offline. All TFM would need is to subjugate the creature and make it power up the spell once more. There is only one way out of here, so it is not very easy for the spirit to escape.

That's what I meant.

^ Top  
  7. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Ancient evils are greatly exaggerated in this world. We befriended Nine, and she's the combined personality of two ancient evils. At worst he'd do something like the mages who built the fortress we're in, and then only to people who he doesn't have a personal attachment to. The guy is sentimental when it doesn't cost him much. I suspect he'll spend the next few years at least farting around being a hedonist. I don't think he's the harem collector sort like Xu Jing, we should be fine. He'd be a woman anyway, so, you know.

Honestly, we should just keep unleashing arch-mages until they take care of each other, then move in and mop up and become ruler supreme of the world.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    They've already took care of each other once. Why undo that part and not move on directly to the world domination?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    We have Alric, the Deceiver, the Watcher and Mazzarin are about still. Nine's out temporarily. We should throw some more in, stir up the pot.

Acting against him here would seem to lose us more than it gains us. I don't like the risk, and I want him either as an antagonist or ally, messing about the world. I doubt very much he'd do anything to us. He was speaking quite frankly just now, he's not hiding any more agendas. He thinks he's already won.

^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Wait, the Deceiver is alive? Wouldn't surprise me, but we don't know that.

All you can hope for with the archmages is to get them out of the game temporarily. I have an impression they are all 'about', some more so than the others.

What use is stirring the pot to you, personally? Other than a good chuckle, I mean.

Edit:
    Nope, she is neither. We've seen those personalities, and we decided not to touch them with a ten-foot pole.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    The cunning, lucky and opportunistic can prosper greatly in chaos. Plus, lots of work for mercenary companies! When there's chaos we can more easily form alliances and put ourselves in a position of power. It's riskier but it's better for us than peace. It also tips the balance against Mazzarin's dominance.

That and letting TFM go seems like the least costly option available to us right now. All the others, if they fail, result in him not only being free, but hating us. That's a very bad place to be. And I don't think we're skilled or lucky enough to pull off a kill.

Edit: That said, I wouldn't be very surprised if he tries to steal the Halcyon Stone from us. Hopefully he's too preoccupied with the prospect of going whoring. Or whatever it is embodied archmages do for fun.

^ Top  
  12. Zero Credibility Arcane

Zero Credibility
    So, the situation would probably lead to a fight between the creature and him, with us possibly taking one side. Yes, it could work that way if he can capture and connect the creature to the gate again. I fear there's just too many unknowns here to predict what will happen and I am worried about his hostage. Maybe it would be better to let the fucker go, but I'm really getting sick of these ancient assholes coming back to mess with the world again.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, then it's your lucky day. They did not yet restore order since the last war. There is chaos all around, as we've seen during the fire in Myrgard, or by the rise of necromancers in the dwarven kingdom. The opportunities are plenty, and I am sure our company in Muirthemne prospers, as would soon our business venture with Herr Mayer.

You have to have an oasis of stability to enjoy the power you've made among the chaos, though. Those who have the power create that stability around themselves, sooner or later.

The least costly option would have been letting him inside our minds and take over our bodies several updates ago. Then we would have all the power and be best buddies with him. But then it would not be our story anymore, so no. We'll do it the hard way.

^ Top  
  14. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    I think we'd still maintain our independence if he gets that girl's body. There's no reason he'd want to possess more than one body after all. Past decisions are irrelevant to the present anyway.

^ Top  
  15. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
  16. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    We didnt have option to free him before, i got impression that Derryth didnt wish him to look all time and prevent eventual body hijack. With will be deal with.
    Ancient Evil like most archmages we set free? Mazz was most noble one, still closer to neutral and Nine was actually 2 master evils fusion, so that kill because Evil excuse dont hold to well. Faceless strike me as more i dont care type of guy, passive person.

Guy was in piece of cloth for how many years? If i would be trapped like that i would to grab rare chance to get out, even if my keeper would prefer to keep me locked. He did say he will help clear real Ole-whatever camp and take care of capturing prisoners. You could argue that we wish to keep him in bracelets for that magical heads up before death, but killing him wont do that.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Look, if you don't want to kill him, just add a conditional preference to your vote, as D does not necessarily require it.

Myself I think this to be a very risky and silly idea. Archmages don't die easily, and those that do tend to take their assailants with them.

This is what was said about Mazzarin:
    Of 100 berserks sent to chop the already petrified Watcher, none returned alive.

The Deceiver was blown up when he killed 'Shiver' with a Withering Dream.

I'd rather not even try, especially not in our circumstances. If he survives, a lot of our people would die.

I may not mant to kill him, but I don't want to free him at all. I feel very strongly about this one.

^ Top  
  18. Smashing Axe Arcane Patron

Smashing Axe
    Being the direct cause of his continued imprisonment is the worst position we could put ourselves in. He'll hold a grudge against us where there is none now, and him being an immortal arch-mage, it's not a question of if he'll break free, but when. That is much worse than him free and happy with or indifferent to us.

I agree completely with your assessment of the effort it would take to kill him.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Too bad we have a pair of gloves, Greater Heal spell and a connoisseur of ancient artefacts with ancient mages inside of them waiting for us in the real world.

He knows we can do worse than imprisonment. Does he want us to hold a grudge?

We didn't put him there, and we won't release him.

^ Top  
  20. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    I agree with this assessment. The most likely to work offensive course of action would be to trap him in bracelets and destroy them afterwards and thats still risky.

The most beneficial course of action is letting him go, we arent enemy to each other so i doubt he will act against us. Killing him is fine. Risking a merging of demon with him is worst course of action. Collapsing portal is fine and dandy, but if he get away we are screwed big time, if we fail to kill him we are in bad position.

Do you think he will care about this if we prevent him from escaping? Either we let him go or kill him for good.

^ Top  
  21. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    So... don't kill him? Switch the portal off and have a nice talk like grown-ups that you are.

Letting him go benefits no one. I don't trust his word. If he thinks he can have his way with us if he takes a hostage, there is plenty of them waiting for us in the outside world. It won't end there.

I think he can't harm us if he can't get away. So he'll care about this if he does not want to see Papa Mazzarin.

^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    "Yeah i know you are upset that we prevented you from getting out to get body, but it not our fault. Take it to people who put you there in first place." - its bad argument.

Have a nice talk like grown-ups? He consider us only a keeper of bracelets who get him out from hole in ground he was stuck for god knows how long, if we will stop him we will be considered jailers instead people guarding exit. He will give us "reparations" for running away in form of help with task at hand, i doubt we can persuade him for more. Not sure if that guard survive for long and she is needed for his escape.

^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How difficult it is to understand that I. don't. intend. for. him. to. escape? It is irrelevant what kind of 'help' he offers.

And he knows we aren't too keen on the idea of him walking the land once again. It's why he has taken the hostage, though he didn't think it through.

The only way he is going to experience the world for a foreseeable future is through the bracelets. We aren't letting him out. If he objects, we can try to get rid of them and put them into an even deeper hole - let's see if he finds better 'charges'.

If he is not content with the bracelets' owners, he could have unlocked them and waited for the new batch of adventurers to pick him up after a hundred years or two. In fact, that is what we tried to do in the Magic Academy. He didn't let us go. So it is only appropriate that we show him as much affection as he did to us and not part ways.

^ Top  
  24. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.