Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Jester

Arbiter
The grenadiers should be in no immediate danger, given that they are ranged fighters and the ghasts are slow. If we send a suggestion to them, surely they can spare a second to verify it.
The five guards or the ones with you?
I think he talking about gate ones.

Do we have any explosive charges other than cocktails? Can we use explosives, greater bolt or any other spell to raze a building? If so do we have any engineers with us who can tell us how do it easiest? What about building their are in, setting them on fire is doable effectively with those 5 cocktails and fire spells we got? Thinking about setting all 3 buildings on big fire, we got enough juice?

Jester

Arbiter
Send 6 swordsmans into 1st necromancer building trying to catch them off guard and possibly stop control of Thrals stack. I assume that weaker mages control weaker creatures. They should get there before Derryth and Thais will get to ghuls so most likely they remain undetected and explosion of ghul stack might diverse all attention there so their chances increase.
The way I see it, we won't be 'intercepting' the ghols - they are too fast and they will be at the gates faster than we would. We'll blast them from afar.
Fangshi, do our spells reach the sack-carrying ghouls? Whatever plan we have, I'd prefer to start it with them detonating whatever it is they carry.

They are moving fast but if you hurry you could probably get them in spell range by the time they are three quarters of the way to the gate.
By intercepting i meant get in spell range. Looks there is no skipping getting closer either way.

Forget the mages outside - they are weak and without the undead they control can be dealt with later. Probably. The one inside seems like a real threat, but we need to get there first.
Which one 'inside'? They are all outside, as far as we know.
Well from the map it looks like the two weaker mages are hidden in the buildings outside of the palace walls, while the strong one is inside the palace walls already (possibly also hidden somewhere).

We are right next to one group of enemies already and the ones carrying (what we think is) explosives seem quite close to the gate already. I doubt there is much time for planning left and I don't think we should split up to take on the two weaker mages. Yes, they are a threat, but they are also likely to have barricaded themselves inside, with more undead to guard them. We would have to send a significant part of our force on each to be sure of taking them out. And while we are doing that most of the undead forces they are controlling could overrun the guards and already be behind the gate, where the third and much more powerful necromancer could take over. So I think we should forget about those two for now and concentrate on getting to the gate asap with our whole force. And also taking out those explosives right away before they get too close to the gate and we end up killing our own guards. Once there we can think of the next move - reinforce the guards against the soulless flanking them, raise an alarm, close the gate, whatever is needed.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, if we send the soldiers to hunt the mages without backup, especially the ones that aren't proficient in such a warfare, we'll be sending them to their deaths. That's why I think mage-hunting should be done by us or not done at all.

The idea about blowing the building up is sound, though. It is much faster and less risky that way.

Well from the map it looks like the two weaker mages are hidden in the buildings outside of the palace walls, while the strong one is inside the palace walls already (possibly also hidden somewhere).
Oh. I didn't think the palace wall extended that far. I thought they were outside. I guess we'll need a clarification.

Are we carrying even close to enough explosives to be sure of taking them out that way? I presume what we have are grenades, but just how effective are those going to be? If it's a small wooden building it may still work, but what if these are large stone or brick buildings? I don't see that working then.

Nevill

Arcane
Well, if we burned half of the city before, it stands to reason at least some of those buildings are flammable. :)

I don't know if we want to start yet another fire, though.

In the previous fire we did have a little help from a lot of explosives our inventor friend was storing there, I think. We don't have that here. With what we have we could probably still start a fire, but by the time it would threaten the mages the battle might already be over.

Anyway, I think the third mage is inside the walls. Controlling the undead requires line of sight, doesn't it? That's why he is inside - to take over once these two send the undead over.

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
Zero Credibility said: said:
The soulless are trying to bypass the gate by going over the wall and attacking the guards on the gate in the back, right?
Right. You think they are trying to cut off the guards in the fortified guard post.
Wait, what is that fortified guard post you are talking about and where is it located?

Anyway, I think the third mage is inside the walls. Controlling the undead requires line of sight, doesn't it? That's why he is inside - to take over once these two send the undead over.
Well, if they are inside, there is no question that we should run to the gates pronto to deal with them.

Nevill

Arcane
Isn't that the gate under attack?
Aren't the guards at the gates engaged in a fight, and thus not in the guard post, so there is no one to cut off?

At first I thought we are talking the same guards, but now I don't know. The ones we see are just 5 guys. Flanking them with 15 Soulless is a bit overkill.

Zero Credibility said:
I doubt there is much time for planning left and I don't think we should split up to take on the two weaker mages. Yes, they are a threat, but they are also likely to have barricaded themselves inside, with more undead to guard them. We would have to send a significant part of our force on each to be sure of taking them out. And while we are doing that most of the undead forces they are controlling could overrun the guards and already be behind the gate, where the third and much more powerful necromancer could take over.
Well, my plan is dependant on 2 things:

1) The third group of mages aren't inside the Palace.
2) The first group of mages is the one controlling the Soulless (which Jester have put under doubt already).

I don't care about the second group, as the ghols they are likely to be leading will soon be history, or not that much of a danger due to us disposing of the sacks. I wanted to hit the first group, as I deem Soulless a great threat. I have no idea if controlling the undead requires the line of sight or not.

Last edited:

Jester

Arbiter
2) The first group of mages is the one controlling the Soulless (which Jester have put under doubt already).
If i recall correctly Soulless are middle tier forces while Ghuls and Thrals are low tier. Taking into consideration Lyssa spells and stats:
Necromancy:
Create Ghast (r)
Control Ghast (r)
Create Thrall (r)
Control Thrall (r)

Necromancy:
Mass Create Ghast (r)*
Mass Create Thrall (r)*
Create Soulless (r)

Soulless is classified with mass Thrall spell so looks like it need significaly more power, so i am assuming they need people similar in skill to Lyssa, Thais or Derryth. Only 3 building seem to meet that. Course its possible that creating minion need more power than controlling it.

Btw i am confused why Lyssa dont have control Soulless. Either Fangshi forgotten that, Lyssa got to low necro training/power to control them or Soulless are significantly different that normal undeads and can work on its own.

Jester

Arbiter
If there is someone inside to take over, smashing forces here could be a major spanner in their work. Cutting their reinforcement route can be effective.

Nevill

Arcane
Jester said:
Soulless is classified with mass Thrall spell so looks like it need significaly more power, so i am assuming they need people similar in skill to Lyssa, Thais or Derryth. Only 3 building seem to meet that. Course its possible that creating minion need more power than controlling it.
Actually, any necromancer can control any number of mindless undead, the question is how efficient he would be with them.

This quote is taken from the 'Few Against Many' update:
The final necromancer has proven cagey. Having witnessed the deaths of all of his peers he refuses to get too close to your position. This presents a problem. He is no commander thankfully. He is simply throwing his forces at you. However with the advantage in numbers he has his simple strategy may just grant him victory.

As your enemy's numbers thin he is gaining greater control over them, they are getting smarter and more disciplined and to top it off he has kept ten soulless in reserve. He is bleeding you dry. Once you lack the ability to strike back he will send in the soulless to pick you off at range and there is nothing you can do about it.
The mage had problems controlling the large stack, but the more we killed, the easier it got for him. And the stacks we are dealing with here are rather small-ish.

Anyway, I think a detour to take one group of the mages might be worth it if we manage to capture some of them alive, and it should not take too much out of the reinforcements.

I have an unpleasant feeling that our Faceless 'friend' might have had a hand in this attack. It is rather a big coincidence that it happened right after he got out, and I imagine that freeing the Watcher would be high on his list of priorities. In that case, we are already too late.

Nevill

Arcane
There is something off about this fight.

When you get within five blocks of the palace you hear the sounds of battle.

Two blocks from the palace and you can see a large mob of cloaked dwarves walking towards the front gate directly in front of you across a wide square.

The guards order them to stop, to disperse.

The mob continues to slowly push forward.

The guards point, then shout something. They lob cocktails into the crowd. Killing dozens.
We heard the sound of battle long before the ghasts arrived at the front gate, and by the wording of the list of assets we have available, there were supposed to be more guards to protect the gate. Now, did we see any bodies lying around in front of the gates? If not, that suggests that the battle took place inside the Palace walls, and the guards may now be caught between two enemy forces. In that case, we must hurry there immediately, ignoring the casters.

Though the question remains, how come a battle that could have been heard five blocks away from the palace did not alert everyone inside yet?

archaen

Cipher
Patron
If these mages are so much weaker I don't see why Thais and Derryth have to stay together. I propose they burn the sacks like already stated and each take a necromancer. They take three dwarves each as meatshields and send Argus and the remaining guards after the soulless to take pressure off the gate. Once both mages are down the attack stops or the master necromancer has to split his attention to keep them going. Then everyone meets in the middle for a pincer attack if there is still any resistance. Even if there is an enemy force on the other side we catch them coming out the gate in a crossfire.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
If these mages are so much weaker I don't see why Thais and Derryth have to stay together.
Because a single failed roll would kill us, and the bracers provide a safeguard against that.

It's not like we can tank everything they throw at us. All it takes is one spell.

You're ignoring the ghol charge with explosives. That needs to be curbed before anything else.
Actually, he started with it. The question is, what we do next.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If these mages are so much weaker I don't see why Thais and Derryth have to stay together.
Because a single failed roll would kill us, and the bracers provide a safeguard.

It's not like we can tank everything they throw at us. All it takes is one spell.

You're ignoring the ghol charge with explosives. That needs to be curbed before anything else.
Actually, he started with it. The question is, what we do next.
Ah man, either that was the quickest edit I've seen or I'm starting to lose it. I think we should send a very small force with Thais and Derryth to attack one of the smaller spellcasting groups, half the men we have including their leader to the other, and the rest to reinforce the men at the wall who should hopefully be able to intercept the soulless, providing they haven't been stopped by our disruption of the necromancers' spellcasting. Splitting up Thais and Derryth mitigates one of our few defensive advantages.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
How about one of us takes both bracers and the other uses the invisibility comb? That should give each a good defense.

Nevill

Arcane
How about one of us takes both bracers and the other uses the invisibility comb? That should give each a good defense.
We don't have a comb, courtesy of some greedy folks. :lol: :P

And the invisibility would be gone as we fling our first spell, anyway.

And the bracers don't provide protection by themselves, they have to be worn by different people.

"Well have you tried putting them on?" she snatches them up.

"No don't!" you move to stop her but she has already slipped one onto each wrist.

Nothing happens.

"Um... do you feel anything? Anything strange?" you ask as you stare at her, concern and curiosity fighting for dominance within you.

She just shrugs, "No... maybe they are meant to be worn by two different people," she slips off one bracelet and holds it out to you, "Come on Derryth, help me out here."
So, no, splitting is not the wisest option.

I think we should send a very small force with Thais and Derryth to attack one of the smaller spellcasting groups, half the men we have including their leader to the other, and the rest to reinforce the men at the wall who should hopefully be able to intercept the soulless, providing they haven't been stopped by our disruption of the necromancers' spellcasting. Splitting up Thais and Derryth mitigates one of our few defensive advantages.
Nah, reinforcing the gates with raw numbers but without a somewhat competent commander to lead them is a fool's errand that is only going to end in more casualties.

I'll wait for more input, but I am inclined to either hunt the first group, or head straight to the gates and help the defenders from there. The mages are targeting something inside, so that's where we should be.

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
We didn't buy the comb? This was before I was voting but that was the one item I would have bought before anything else. Well it does make my plan more dangerous. The bracelet problem is solved by giving it to one of the dwarves going with our caster.

I don't like running to the center and being surrounded by casters. If we think there is an enemy force inside why would we jump into the center and get instantly flanked? We need to at least leave an escape route out in case the powerful Necromancer has some Stygian guards or something we can't easily fight.

I really wish we had the others right now. Lyassa to control the thralls and the girls for circle protection.

Nevill

Arcane
I wonder if casting The Warrior's Mask on Argus would qualify as WMD. Given his already impressive physical stats, the spell should make him into a trow equivalent that would be able to cleave enemies in one hit. I guess that should help us deal with the thralls in the quickest way possible if we rush to the gates.

The spell will probably need to be ended once we are done, though, to keep the steady pace.

Also, do we still have Heal spells stored? We didn't use them yet... I think. Or did we help the Arrows treat their wounded?

The bracelet problem is solved by giving it to one of the dwarves going with our caster.
It's not. The bracers themselves don't provide a magical save. They provide an image of what presents danger to us, and it is up to us to react. Derryth and Thais can do that because they are casters (meaning they can react at range) and so close to each other they don't need much in the way of words to communicate. The dwarves should have a bit of trouble there.

archaen said:
Lyassa to control the thralls and the girls for circle protection.
Really, now? You want her casting necromancy spells in the middle of the town, in full view of our allies? :|

archaen said:
I don't like running to the center and being surrounded by casters. If we think there is an enemy force inside why would we jump into the center and get instantly flanked?
Flanked by what? We'll have to kill the ghasts and the thralls to get there. And the casters won't flank anybody, they aren't the type who would go out there and fight.

If there are more undead coming, we might get in trouble, but then if they are that desperate we would have seen them already.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Argus and the rest of his men should handle the thralls and reinforce the gates. Wasn't that his original idea?

Yes that was his plan.

The guards. I can't see them fighting otherwise. They are mostly grenadiers, how can they fight if the enemy is on top of them already? They'll blow themselves up.

Yes, they are running that risk. Currently they are deployed with the two spearmen in front and the grenadiers maybe three feet behind them lobbing at the back of the ghast herd. They stand a good chance of losing if they do not pull back into the courtyard though they seem very reluctant to do so. Honestly, they are probably screwed no matter what (that is Derryth's assessment of their odds).

What time does it take to cast a suggestion spell?

It can be instantaneous or it can take a few minutes. Depends on what you are trying to send. For this, maybe half a minute to a minute and a half.

Kz3r0 said:
This. (About using magic on the ghôls).

You should be able to get in range by the time they are three quarters of the way to the gate.

Nevill said:
What is a difference between a spearman and a swordsman, mechanics-wise?

Reach mostly and damage type I suppose.

Jester said:
Do we have any explosive charges other than cocktails? Can we use explosives, greater bolt or any other spell to raze a building? If so do we have any engineers with us who can tell us how do it easiest? What about building their are in, setting them on fire is doable effectively with those 5 cocktails and fire spells we got? Thinking about setting all 3 buildings on big fire, we got enough juice?

Each of the grenadiers has a couple satchel charges. You might be able to collapse a building but it would take a fair number of them. This is the nice end our town so all of the buildings are made of heavy marble slabs or other stones.

Nevill said:
Oh. I didn't think the palace wall extended that far. I thought they were outside. I guess we'll need a clarification.

The third group is behind the wall and moving slowly from what you can tell.

Zero Credibility said:
Anyway, I think the third mage is inside the walls. Controlling the undead requires line of sight, doesn't it?

It certainly helps. Once they have been programmed though they will try to carry out their orders though they get a lot dumber without a necromancer feeding them instructions. They need line of sight to work the control spells so if these undead do anything clever or coordinated then it is likely a necromancer has line of sight on them.

Nevill said:
Aren't the guards at the gates engaged in a fight, and thus not in the guard post, so there is no one to cut off?

At first I thought we are talking the same guards, but now I don't know. The ones we see are just 5 guys. Flanking them with 15 Soulless is a bit overkill.

No kill like overkill but you are essentially correct. There are only five guard up and about and they are all in front of the gate. There should be more guards in the guard post right inside the gate, Argus is sure of that. Should be twenty or so. He does not know why they are not helping.

Jester said:
Soulless is classified with mass Thrall spell so looks like it need significantly more power, so i am assuming they need people similar in skill to Lyssa, Thais or Derryth. Only 3 building seem to meet that. Course its possible that creating minion need more power than controlling it.

Lyssa has a large spell set but she also lacks the magical strength that Derryth and Thaïs have. I am not sure what page that magical ranking I did up is on but she is definitely below the two of them.

Creating minions does require more power than controlling them.

Jester said:
Btw i am confused why Lyssa dont have control Soulless.

She does not know how to control them. The Necromancers that served the Soulblighter essentially worked assembly lines. Lyssa was part of the group that raised the Soulless but she did not command or control them. (This reflects her superior potential as a mage, those that created undead were generally more talented and Soulblighter did take measures to ensure their safety. Without them he would have no armies after all) She could probably figure out the theory if you wanted her to practice necromancy again but none of the women are terribly open to that idea at the moment. They would need a good reason.

Nevill said:
Now, did we see any bodies lying around in front of the gates?

You do not see any bodies in front of the gate except for the ghasts they are blowing up.

Though the question remains, how come a battle that could have been heard five blocks away from the palace did not alert everyone inside yet?

:smug:

I wonder if casting The Warrior's Mask on Argus would qualify as WMD.

If you cast that on Argus forget cleaving, he could literally punch the thralls into chunks. :lol:

Also, do we still have Heal spells stored? We didn't use them yet... I think. Or did we help the Arrows treat their wounded?

You still have them stored. You did not use them on the Arrows, they dealt with their own wounded.

Also I missed these from before the update:

Nevill said:
I hope he [Ithapi] makes good use of the library in our absence.

He can not read!

:negative:

He wants to learn though.

What's that spell and when it had been used? I remember the others, but not this one.

It is similar to the one Isolde used to run along the wall when she just about took your head off.

Derryth has seen Christine use it once while securing the secondary vault. It did not make it into an update as far as I remember though.

I think I got all the questions but if I missed something then just pester me till I answer.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
The third group is behind the wall and moving slowly from what you can tell.
You do not see any bodies in front of the gate except for the ghasts they are blowing up.
Fuck. Fuck!

That leaves us no choice but to get there and unleash supercharged Argus at them.

If you cast that on Argus forget cleaving, he could literally punch the thralls into chunks. :lol:
DO EET! For an extra badass scene, if for nothing else.

He can not read!
Right. So the first thing we do after we are done here is send Amena the letter and instruct her on having Ithapi educated along with the kids.

This shall not stand. :outrage:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Just wondering.

How powerful Shades are, in general? And do we have anything in our books to take them out?

Because I have a nagging feeling...

If the guards are alive (why send the Soulless after them otherwise?) and they didn't come out, the only other explanation is that they are scared shitless and barricaded themselves inside. And I know only one thing that can be that scary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom