Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I would advise against spreading our efforts too thin, because of this:
    Lyssa can handle the foci on her own, but she is also required for animal cooperation, as she is the only one who can speak with them. By pursuing both goals at once we might not succeed in either.

^ Top  
  2. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Well keeping everyone in a chariot would help prevent the Shades from easily reaching you though your opponents will still have an easier time crossing rough and impassable terrain.

You might be able to come up with something though your Pathfinders are already quite stretched.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    archaen:
    1.Ai, 2.A, 3.ABD

Azira:
    1.Aii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Nevill:
    1.Aii 2.A 3.BD

Absinthe:
    1.D, 2.C, 3.ABD

Grimgravy:
    1.B>Aii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Jester:
    1.E, 2.C, 3.ABD

Kz3r0:
    1.Aii, 2.C, 3.ABD

A)
    i. 1 vote
    ii. 3 votes
    B) 1 vote
    C)
    D) 1 vote
    E) 1 vote

A) 4 votes
    B)
    C) 3 votes

A) 4/7 votes
    B) 7/7 votes
    C)
    D) 7/7 votes
    E) 2/7 votes

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Hm. So theoretically, it could be possible to do a retreat with these forces:

Derryth, Thais, Lyssa, Uttu, Ceannard, Neel, Bari, Astrid, Ori, Stori, Alvis and a spare chariot with an unnamed archer. 12 people in total, not counting the drivers.

The mortar team should be able to provide us with a smoke screen when we really need it if the enemy catches up with us on a winding path.

Anyone wants to try it? We can probably swap some of the melee-oriented Pathfinders with the archers.

I propose Aiii - instead of rigging the trap mechanism we use our extra time to set up an appearance of us trying to blow the place up from the outside and failing to do so due to the lack of time, leaving an 'obvious' trap for enemy to disarm to lull them into a false sense of security while they are oblivious to the real one.

We send our slower forces ahead, and then withdraw on the chariots, trying to wreac havoc among the pursuers and inflict as much damage as possible.

It trades away the difficulty the enemy might have with dismantling our trap if they discover it in favor of our trap being less apparent and better hidden.

Since the initial trap only activates when someone casts a spell, it has a bigger likelihood to blow up a mage - or a group of mages, as it may be.

I'll go with Aiii>Aii A BD.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    ^ Top  
  4. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Sort of like a medieval cannonball run? Count me in. Berty is the perfect Captain Chaos. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    I'll add a conditional to my 1. vote. 1D>Aii
    But I want to learn from the the diary not cover it in lead.

^ Top  
  6. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Fangshi, who can we expect to catch in our trap with Aii if it is found? Who in the undead army would be proficient enough to try and dismantle the trap or otherwise tamper with it? I would assume the mindless undead would not have the skill to do it. So that leaves us... ghols? Shades?

Are Soulless more vulnerable to the Strong Wind than the ground forces, seeing how they are floaing and there is no friction to help them steady themselves? Can we blow them off the ridge?

^ Top  
  7. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Fangshi, lets not do the rolling retreat then, given that the Watcher's army is sure to just order a reckless charge on our forces (attack attack attack is all they do really) with their massive hordes and eventually that will screw us over if they can just outrun us. Just leave 1D as is for now.

Also, Nevill, your illusion plan is too risky. I mean, we don't even know if illusions will work on those archmages. Plus the enemy will still be faster than us on the rolling retreat, so it's not looking pretty there. Frankly, I like 1D the best since we still get to wreak some fast havoc on the enemy (Fangshi, lets make sure to burn through a lot of cubes for a rapid high-power barrage for the short duration that we are attacking.) but we also get to guarantee that the enemy will not get control of the base since it will be destroyed.

However, for Aii I agree that we should immediately evacuate everyone who would go on foot and just leave chariots for a much quicker escape.

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Who said it has to be an illusion? I certainly didn't. It is as mechanical in nature as Aii - we make an appearance of rigging the hut, then when we are ready to retreat, one of the fuses 'malfunctions' (it's one way it could be handled), leaving the place standing. They know we have tampered with the place, but the results of our tampering are in plain sight.

I don't really trust Bari in magical matters (the suggestion to use a tree as a staff came from him), so I don't want to waste our resources on a long shot.

What goes into the pedestal? The mages themselves? Some artefacts? Live sacrifices? We don't know.

I especially don't want to burn through cubes if I have no idea when (or if) the next batch of supplies comes and with a long siege ahead of us.

All I want is to blow up the building - hopefully, with some mages in it.

If we get on the chariots, we may still outrun enemy mages, so there is that. Mindless undead like Soulless we can likely outmaneuver.

^ Top  
  9. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Eh, I feel lucky today. Here is another proposition for a trap.

Aiv - rig the place and use something unique as a detonator/trigger placed on top of the hut. If the trigger is removed, the place explodes. Once we get away, we keep an eye on the hut. If a mage enters it, we cast Retrieve Item on the detonator. There is a line of sight, and we have a spyglass.

Are there downsides to this plan?

^ Top  
  10. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    We constantly need to monitor the place, so yeah, there's that. If for some reason trees or other shit gets into the LoS, the trap's ruined.

Keep it simple. If there really is a thing as a magic-o-meter which will trigger once a spell is cast, great! If not, rig it to weight? Too many variables will screw us over.

^ Top  
  11. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The fort is on a montain, though, and we will be heading up. I don't know if LoS will be a concern.

Just another idea, is all.

^ Top  
  12. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    You have no idea what you will catch if anything. Presumably mindless undead will not be able to use the structure so if it is fired then you will likely kill mages, beyond that though you know nothing.

They are easier to push but since they float they won't really fall down. They will just slide around on the air currents.

Sure. It will stay as is.

Added Aiii and Aiv.

Current Tally:

Show Spoiler
    archaen:
    1.Ai, 2.C, 3.ABD

Azira:
    1.Aiii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Nevill:
    1.Aiii>Aii 2.A 3.BD

Absinthe:
    1.D, 2.C, 3.ABD

Grimgravy:
    1.D>Aii, 2.A, 3.BDE

Jester:
    1.E, 2.C, 3.ABD

Kz3r0:
    1.Aii, 2.C, 3.ABD

A)
    i. 1 vote
    ii. 1 (3) vote(s)
    iii. 2 votes
    iv.
    B)
    C)
    D) 2 votes
    E) 1 vote

A) 3 votes
    B)
    C) 4 votes

A) 4/7 votes
    B) 7/7 votes
    C)
    D) 7/7 votes
    E) 2/7 votes

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I'll flop to 2C if we put the book in a box and then cover it with lead instead of it being a stealth 2B. +M

^ Top  
  14. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    When did the lead become the all-powerful element that does everything? Much like in real life, the lead only blocks radiation (and therefore, some of the signals). It does not have magical or anti-magical properties... or at least we don't know if it does.

The Watcher's stones serve as a channel to the archmage's consciousness, so there was merit in trying to block the connection.

This time, though, I think we are overdoing it. Not that I mind. I just find it funny. :M

I wonder if tin foil would work for the same purposes. :D

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  15. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I was just worried that the TWM is using it as a phylactery or a gate/scrying focus. If it is the first he is reincarnating in the fort unless we destroy it. If he can use it for the latter than we can try to block it with the lead box so all he can see is darkness or can't get a good end point.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yeah, a scrying focus or a trap spell that would activate on command, that I might believe in. A phylactery, though, is stretching it.

I'd put it in the box, rig it with a bomb it case anything tries to open it, warn everyone not to open it, and put in somewhere safe, like the treasury. That should take care of most of the threats.

You might want to clarify your vote. You are counted as Aiii because of an earlier remark. :)

Is everyone in agreement how the retreat should be conducted if we go with any of the A options?

^ Top  
  17. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    If no one else minds I'd like to add those steps to 2C.

^ Top  
  18. Absinthe Prophet

Absinthe
    Sure. I have no objection to this. I don't think any of the other C voters would, either.

Nevill, as for Aiii, I am still opposed to the rolling retreat. It's been established by now that the watcher's army is just going to charge into us suicidally, they can outrun us, and they definitely outnumber us, so this seems too dangerous for comfort to me.

Fangshi, I'd like to set up 1D so that we send the slower forces ahead while we do this and leave chariots for our own small crew that's going to cast/detonate/gtfo.

^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Where and when did we establish anything of a kind? Not a word have been said on what the Watcher's army is going to do.

And it looks like we are going with Aii for now, so dangerous or not, we should think how we want to play this. Besides, we've already told the Pathfinders to mine some of the passages.

They can't outrun the chariots. They can try and ambush them due to their floating abilities, but they can't outrun them.

Why do we need lead at all in this case? :)

The fort has only so much lead to scavenge.

^ Top  
  20. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure, I can add that change.

I can certainly make those changes if no one objects.

I will also need to know whether or not everyone still wants it to be a lead box.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I'm still up for a lead box if we have enough left over from covering the staff. The staff is way more important to have the lead shielding if we have to choose.

^ Top  
  22. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Once again I'll have to ask everyone who is voting for a 'trap' plan (either directly, or as a secondary vote) that has us risk engaging the enemy vanguard to clarify how they see our retreat - as a whole unit, as two separate teams assisted by the chariots, or as a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead.

As we are outnumbered 40 to 1 with archmages and whatnot, this question appears to be very relevant.

Grimgravy, Azira, Kz3r0 - any thoughts on the matter?

Perhaps this might even be a separate choice, seeing how some of the other voters expressed interest in this topic as well, even though their options are less time sensitive.

^ Top  
  23. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    As a single team mounted on the chariots with the caveat that we send some of the forces ahead.
    In fact, trap the 'magic cannon' and get the fuck away from there.

^ Top  
  24. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, trap the structure, then get the fuck out of dodge at maximum speed.

^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright, as long as there is no opposition you will cover the box in lead provided there is enough remaining lead.

If there is a difference in opinion on how to do the withdrawal then I will add another question and bump the update back by a day to give everyone time to vote.

If everyone agrees on how to retreat then it should not be necessary and I will close the voting in about twelve hours. If I do then an update will come within sixteen hours of that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.