Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Zero Credibility said:
And the siege has only just started, isn't it a bit too soon for hunger to strike?
Two days (or how many will pass in A?), and there are about 20 people inside who did not prepare for this siege in any way. And they get weaker by the day. It is enough.

Zero Credibility said:
Second, there are no dispel grenades made in A or D.
I'll refer you to this quote:
You would need to overload or destabilize the magic in the stones but that could be doable. It would permanently destroy the stones though and they are quite rare but yeah if you want to turn them into grenades it would take time (so A or D) but it is possible.
If you don't plan to make grenades, how are you going to charge them in E?

This might have to be put to vote, if this detail is relevant to the story at all. I am willing to sacrifice a stone or two for desperate times.

Zero Credibility said:
The whole plan depends on him not being able to see through our relatively simple deception and find a way to counter it. And I fear that's underestimating him. If it was just his troops without him, sure, that would be easy. But with him in the picture... he can order them to back away until our bait simply can't make it to back to the safety in time or have hidden spiders in place to cut off their retreat.
First, our bait will not go away too far not to make it back in time. This is not in the plan. In fact, if all goes well, they won't have to walk ten steps from the gates before the kids get scared and retreat. This is the plan:
Fangshi said:
Well the dwarves would never be able to keep up with these things. The Reds are the most athletic and would have the best chance of straight up retreating but the Blues are faster than they are. Also if it looks too much like a trap Miosguinn will try to restrain his remaining followers naturally.

If you just open the doors the Blues may run in but Miosguinn will know it is a trap and will try to hold them back. You may be able to compel them to charge anyway but that will come down to the dice.
We can go with a combination of two plans. We get everyone ready to charge out, including the children and the wounded, and open the gates, but the weakest part of the group falters and loses heart once they see the enemy coming to meet us and runs for the chapel, forcing the rest of us to pull back trying to stop their flight.

It is still convincing enough, and we do not have to make an actual contact with the enemy and go too far away from the building, allowing our props to hide safely and making the retreat easier for the Reds and Silvers.
Second, he did not manage to stop the creatures the first time.

Absinthe said:
Any option trying to pull something clever right now seems really bad to me because even if we somehow create an opening, we don't have any strength to capitalize on it, but then the fighting has started and we're exposed.
Except D does not take place "right now". The difference is that it takes an active approach, as opposed to waiting until Mios makes his move first.
Fangshi said:
D) A Trap - Proceed as in A but then pretend to offer battle with the Damned and the dwarves. Have them retreat back into the offices, lure the Blues in and kill them all.

Last edited:
Zero Credibility said:
And the siege has only just started, isn't it a bit too soon for hunger to strike?
Two days (or how many will pass in A?), and there are about 20 people inside who did not prepare for this siege in any way. And they get weaker by the day. It is enough.

Zero Credibility said:
Second, there are no dispel grenades made in A or D.
I'll refer you to this quote:
You would need to overload or destabilize the magic in the stones but that could be doable. It would permanently destroy the stones though and they are quite rare but yeah if you want to turn them into grenades it would take time (so A or D) but it is possible.
If you don't plan to make grenades, how are you going to charge them in E?

This might have to be put to vote, if this detail is relevant to the story at all. I am willing to sacrifice a stone or two for desperate times.
Huh? I'm all for making the grenades, that's the part of the CHARGE plan after all, prepare everything we got for a decisive strike. It's D that right now has no mention of any grenades - if you want them, update the plan or make another choice with them. The whole point of grenades is that they provide critical advantage against his illusions, but at the cost of the items. That's a big price, but I'm willing to pay it and have voted so. You can't just presume that all voters voting for your plan would be fine with that if it is not in the plan.

And the plan as I see it is critically flawed anyway. I'd rather not have our plan depend on our opponent not doing the smart thing, especially if our opponent is a very smart and paranoid master illusionist.

Nevill

Arcane
Smashing Axe, when you put it like that, it almost sounds convincing. The problem I have with this plan is that the decision about joining Miosguinn is not for Thais to make, so Derryth will have to be there as well. And I don't like being in the middle of the battlefield with 20 hungry spiderfolk who are quicker than anyone or anything on our side. If they could have swarmed Tyrvard before, two mages are nothing for them.

I am afraid that whether it succeeds or not, one of the main characters might die. That would be unfortunate.

Zero Credibility said:
And the plan as I see it is critically flawed anyway. I'd rather not have our plan depend on our opponent not doing the smart thing, especially if our opponent is a very smart and paranoid master illusionist.
I am tired of explaining why this plan does not rely on Miosguinn's reaction much, and why all of the illusions will not do him any good here.

So be it. Let's vote for our own plans and be done with this.

Fangshi, can you make a separate vote about keeping the stones, or turning them into grenades (with the number from 1 to 4). This would complement A, D and E choices if they win.

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
I invested a big part of Sunday to read the whole thread and i am glad i did so. Grats to Fangshi and all the players. I will be participating from now on.

Fangshi can we ask Nine to teach the Circle how to dismantle the illusions? I think there might be a quick and dirty way, since we know they are actually illusions.

If it is possible, i will vote for C2.
-The high risk is mitigated by the surprise of banishing the illusions and with a coordinated attack we have the battle advantage.
Else, I will vote for D.
-We can have our cultists pretend to agree with Miosguinn to deliver the dwarves to him.
-When the gates open, the Dwarves try to escape and push through to the ramp.
-The Reds and Silvers run in persuit and everyone takes positions according to Gareth's execution plan.
-The door is left open for the Blues to charge into a trap.

Nevill

Arcane
asxetos said:
Else, I will vote for D.
-We can have our cultists pretend to agree with Miosguinn to deliver the dwarves to him.
-The Reds and Silvers run in persuit and everyone takes positions according to Gareth's execution plan.
The dwarves have mortars and cocktails. Why would the creatures - or Miosguinn, for that matter - not wait until we kill each other? They do have some intelligence.

Who are you trying to fool with the act, the Blues, or Mios?

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Smashing Axe, when you put it like that, it almost sounds convincing. The problem I have with this plan is that the decision about joining Miosguinn is not for Thais to make, so Derryth will have to be there as well. And I don't like being in the middle of the battlefield with 20 hungry spiderfolk who are quicker than anyone or anything on our side. If they could have swarmed Tyrvard before, two mages are nothing for them.

I am afraid that whether it succeeds or not, one of the main characters might die. That would be unfortunate.

We're a back room kind of person. Thais can just say we're dead and she has taken leadership, Mios won't be able to say otherwise if we don't reveal ourselves to him. And again, in regards to being swarmed. The main enemy force won't be close, only a few guards very likely. We have a lot of dwarves, and probably sufficient supplies to make something of a chariot that could have a few guards inside it for Thais, to keep them back. If not, well. Two people on the horse proper would likely do.

asxetos

Augur
asxetos said:
Else, I will vote for D.
The dwarves have mortars and cocktails. Why would the creatures - or Miosguinn, for that matter - not wait until we kill each other? They do have some intelligence.

Who are you trying to fool with the act, the Blues, or Mios?

Well if we are trying to hand them of as hostages, i believe it is implied that we managed to disarm them somehow. Mortars and sachels are not usable in close-quarter combat, so it is feasible.

Nevill

Arcane
Heh. I like the sound of it then. It might actually work.

The Blues don't want their precious food to get away, and Miosguinn never intended to take Casgair or Neith alive anyway, is it? He may just use the opportunity.

Nevill

Arcane
asxetos, you might want to either make your option D a new option, or get everyone else to agree that this plan is better. Otherwise the GM will not know which plan to execute if it wins.

asxetos

Augur
Nevill i think that my D was how Fangshi's D would play out. I just added the thought that we might be able to get some Illusion Dispelling hints from Nine for extra benefit.

Fangshi

Arcane
Smashing Axe said:
Fangshi, could you confirm if there are any nooks or crannies on the courtyard walls/cliffs that would be suitable?

Yes there are places a sniper could hide to get a view of the battlefield and the enemy camp. Of course such positions may already be occupied by the Blues...

asxetos said:
Fangshi can we ask Nine to teach the Circle how to dismantle the illusions? I think there might be a quick and dirty way, since we know they are actually illusions.

For the most part dispelling the illusions just takes willpower. Your group can already do that but it takes time. Nine could teach you how to do it quicker and how to unravel a whole area but you do not have time to learn in C. The negotiations would be taking place almost immediately (in a few hours rather than days) before Miosguinn can start adding to his numbers. It is very much an attempt at a decapitation strike.

Nevill said:
Fangshi, can you make a separate vote about keeping the stones, or turning them into grenades (with the number from 1 to 4).

Added.

Nevill said:
you might want to either make your option D a new option

asxetos said:
i think that my D was how Fangshi's D would play out

The principle is similar. Both options are an attempt to lure out your enemy. How about this, those voters that are going with D just make a note of which plan you prefer and I will go with the winning variant.

Nevill's plan - for the fake battle line

asxetos' plan - for the fake hostages.

Current Tally:
Baltika9 C2
Absinthe A 2 stones
Smashing Axe C2 no stones>1 stone>2 stones>3 stones
Grimgravy A>D either plan 1 stone
Boxer Bi
Nevill D a>N 2 stones
Erebus D
GreyViper D
Jester Bi 2 stones>1 stone
Kz3r0 D N
Azira C2>D>A
Zero Credibility E>B5>A>D
tuluse D N 1 stone
asxetos D a 1 stone

1. What to Do?
A) 2 votes

B)
i. 2 votes
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.

C)
i.
ii. 3 votes

D) 6 votes total

Nevill's plan. 2 votes

asxetos' plan. 2 votes

E) 1 vote

2. Antimagic Grenades:

0 stones - A) 1 vote
1 stone - B) 3 votes
2 stones - C) 3 votes
3 stones - D)
4 stones - E)

Given the new options available I have no problem leaving the polls open for another 24-48 hrs. We will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Fangshi said:
The principle is similar. Both options are an attempt to lure out your enemy. How about this, those voters that are going with D just make a note of which plan you prefer and I will go with the winning variant.
Depends on whether there will be a narrative difference, really.

Voting:

1. D (asxetos) > D (Nevill) - either is fine to me.
2. C (two grenades) - one for the upcoming battle and one for when we need to kill Miosguinn.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Depends on whether there will be a narrative difference, really.

Well Miosguinn will find one of them more believable than the other so it may make a difference. Or it may not, he is very paranoid...

Last edited:

asxetos

Augur
Voting D then (my plan).
Also i dont mind using a stone as Antimagic Granade if we determine that the real Miosguinn showed up.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Nevill's plan - for the fake battle line

I want to reiterate that using mass compulsion or mass suggestion is paramount for the plan to succeed.
Another point. we must not reveal ourselves, no matter what, if Miosguinn spots even one of us he will become even more paranoid.
Fangshi can we ask Nine about the black marble Fang?
And just another question, considering that Miosguinn is probably half spider as the others is possible that I was right in saying that he tried to kill us when spitting the stone in the crypt, for a human seems absurd, but for a spider would be feasible, or maybe he spit the stone because was going to annull the illusion hiding his true appearance?

Fangshi

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
Fangshi can we ask Nine about the black marble Fang?

It gives off a faint magical aura but does not seem to be of any real use by itself. She speculates that it is part of something larger but has no way to know what it is used for.

And just another question, considering that Miosguinn is probably half spider as the others is possible that I was right in saying that he tried to kill us when spitting the stone in the crypt, for a human seems absurd, but for a spider would be feasible, or maybe he spit the stone because was going to annull the illusion hiding his true appearance?

Well you can't be sure but it seems likely that he really did just choke. It would be a very complicated way to kill two people when he could have just set off the Stygians and ran for it.

It is a possibility but there is no way to know without asking him.

Nevill

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
I want to reiterate that using mass compulsion or mass suggestion is paramount for the plan to succeed.
I believe this can be accomplished in both cases.
Nobody will object if we slip the idea in the creatures' minds that the gates are defenseless and are free for the taking while we are dealing with the hostages. More importantly, Miosguinn himself may agree.
Kz3r0 said:
Another point. we must not reveal ourselves, no matter what, if Miosguinn spots even one of us he will become even more paranoid.
And neither plan requires anyone from our group to be present in full view, so we should not be spotted.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Honestly, neither bait seems very good.

Still, I think Misoguinn would believe that the other orders would launch a last desperate attack over giving up. We're dealing with cultists here.

Absinthe

Arcane
I have a plan for D & E's preparation.

This plan is independent from what we do to bait/attack enemies so it should work fine with any of those.

I say we spend around two days preparing before we bust out. Here's what I want folks to do:

• Serpent casts Heal on everyone using all our mages as batteries, over 2 days that should be 14 heals. The rest get treated with regular herbs and Amena and Derryth and whoever else that can be spared and has skill. That should fix the injured problem.
  • Dwarves just focus on getting 1 flamethrower operational, use Tyrvard's still to make as many firebombs as possible (should be able to repurpose drinking containers, pots, etc. for the bombs/cocktails), and put a guy to the anvil to beat out a lot of quick but serviceable arrowheads.
  • Gareth, Brigit, and the Reds start cranking out an operation to create a massive quantity of arrows, including making/improvising their own arrowheads (don't want to be capped at the dwarves' production). Scavenge all the spare wood (bedframes, tables, chairs, if need be take some from our wagon so long as the wagon itself remains operational).
  • Thais's main duty is to go with the red leader and ensure we don't have diplomacy failures such as over dwarven use of "relics" and lets also see if both of them can help get the arrow production in order (ie. contribute leadership and teaching skills to improve production).
  • Since Derryth and the veteran both have 6 (above average) constitution, spare some time after the day to teach Derryth a few of the basics of how to fight, in case it comes down to combat.
  • Tyrvard isn't doing anything during the day, so he should man his alcohol still at night to produce more liquor for more firebombs.
  • Gareth gets to assign night watches and guard duties.

Also, give one of our energon cubes to the Silvers. We don't want them running out of power during the fighting either and establishing some goodwill should help.

With any luck after those two days we should have a fighting force again.

Last edited:

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Man...I'll add a >D (whatever version) to my vote.
A>D, willing to make 1 grenade

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom