Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Hmm, the power rankings look vaguely like this if you remove everything except raw magical talent.
So where is the line separating an exceptional mage from an archmage? What does an 'archmage' even stand for? I'll admit that 'archmage Derryth, a fell and terrible master of the Dark Arts' has a nice ring to it, but what is required of us to be actually considered one?
You need to be able to arch just one eyebrow, just so:
i%27m_spock.jpg

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
So where is the line separating an exceptional mage from an archmage? What does an 'archmage' even stand for? I'll admit that 'archmage Derryth, a fell and terrible master of the Dark Arts' has a nice ring to it, but what is required of us to be actually considered one?

Actually Azira nailed it completely. ;)

It is one part knowledge, sure, but a large amount of it is also style. (Which is why most archmages have 'big' personalities.)

It is admittedly a rather nebulous concept. It is not like you change class mechanically or something it has more to do with how people (read: other mages) view you. There are a number of ways you can get to 'archmage' status but a few common traits exist.

First you need sufficient magical ability, Derryth and Thaïs simply do not have the depth or breadth of magical knowledge required to be considered archmages yet though they are more than halfway there. Soulblighter for example was a fairly poor mage but he (just) makes the cut and the girls definitely have better raw stats then he did for being a 'classic' archmage.

Then you need at least one Dream of your own and/or mastery of a field or two. This is more of a prestige thing. You have to be dangerous and people have to know you are dangerous. When someone speaks your name it should inspire terror and/or awe. At the moment Derryth does not really inspire either in most people (usually she inspires hatred :lol:).

Now beyond that there are other things that can help but they are mostly political and social. If you have a lot of mundane resources and flaunt them that will raise your profile somewhat. If you command an army, defeat an army, destroy a country, will a magical duel with an archmage, do some great or terrible deed and knowledge of it spreads then that can also help raise you profile.

Also some would argue that you need cool titles attached to your name, Mother of Plagues, Source of Five Hundred Poisons, Mad Goat of the Fens, all of those inspire fear in the common man. Names like The Watcher or The Soulblighter have terrified an entire generation and are great for building a rep. Alternatively you could style yourself as a protector of mankind and a guardian of the Light and attempt to inspire complete awe in all those around you. There is a reason why when Alric appears in a formal capacity all of his titles are listed off. It is impressive, at least the first time you hear it.

So on the magical front, continue to improve and try to find a Dream, any Dream. On the social and political front, continue to horde resources and build a power base (provided you don't want to go all Fallen Lord and destroy everything). If the enemies you will make do not destroy you then some day Derryth may yet be an archmage.

Current Tally:

Kz3r0 D
Kipeci E
Smashing Axe Ai
Baltika9 Ai
GreyViper D
Azira C>E
Nevill Aiv
asxetos D
Jester Ai
Cassidy Ai
Grimgravy Av

A) (6 votes)
i. 4 votes
ii.
iii.
iv. 1 vote
v. 1 vote
B)
C) 1 vote
D) 3 votes
E) 1 vote

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Guys, if I've learnt anything recently, it's that D is cursed.

Think about it, we're approaching an "unconscious", possible enemy...

Don't do it!

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
F - Retrieve Item on the orb, then proceed as in Ai

Gots to get that shiny! Ai voters please consider.

Going with D, especially if we can pull it off without alerting anyone. The reason being that we don't know which side we should be backing here (if any), so I want more info.

edit: ok, since of the two groups the losers seem like a better bet (and if not, at least would be easier to deal with later) I'll add an A conditional to my vote. I think any of them might be successful, but I don't like grabbing the orb (we don't know what it does - is it maybe some kind of device that controls the creature that carries it?) or fire (maybe a bit too obvious and flashy).

so: D > A (not iv or v)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
F - Retrieve Item on the orb, then proceed as in Ai

Gots to get that shiny! Ai voters please consider.
Good enough. I'll flop to Av.

Not sure if we want to hold a magical sphere with unknown properties, but it does look like it is relevant to the battle.

Any other takers?

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Baltika9, Smashing Axe, Jester? Would appreciate some input here.

I mean, sometimes player suggestions turn out alright, like the one with Ullr. Maybe Grimgravy is onto something here.

Though I would still prefer a proven way of taking these guys down.

Zero Credibility, the choice states that we are certain of who the aggressors are, and the mantra of kill/devour that we ascribed to their leader makes peaceful talk with them unlikely. I very much doubt we should back these guys, and there isn't even a choice (hmm, why is that? I call prejudice on GM's part!). That leaves us only the second group. On the off chance they don't prove helpful and attack us, I believe they would be easier to dispose of than the marked ones.

I just want to take out the bigger threat.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Why attack them at all? Why not just hang back, watch, then follow whomever wins? We don't know what's going on here, it's Nine's mind and she's clearly not all there.

I'd prefer we not act directly yet, until we get a better handle on things.

Nevill

Arcane
Why attack them at all? Why not just hang back, watch, then follow whomever wins?
It is pretty clear who wins if we don't act, and I don't put much stock into "Kill, murder, eat!" diplomacy.

If we want a better handle on things and a decent chance of survival, we need to talk with someone from the second group.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I don't want to touch an orb used by a leader of the "crush, maim, kill" variety. For all I know it will make us go beserk as well. Better to exert control upon the leader, then take stock of the situation.

That said there's nothing wrong with observing, I guess. I just think intervening here at this moment will help us more in the long-run. The defenders could very well be willing to negotiate, and the aggressors are unlikely to be the cooperative sort, like Nevill says. It's true we don't fully understand the situation, but we should be able to handle the defenders once the aggressors are taken down with, either with force or diplomacy.

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I have two interpretations here, considering that Nine's mind is like a city of green glass seems logical that anything related to the same theme is part of hermemories or something, considering the crawling bugs as the magic eating at her mind proceede from the same interpretation, but considering as the city is ever shifting would be possible instead the city is in fact the cage enclosing her mind, and that would mean that the bugs are her mind trying to regain control, not a very pretty mind if crawling bugs represents it, it would make sense if she is the Mother of Plagues tho.

So, I think that getting that green orb can help us determining the true nature of the city.

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
I very much doubt we should back these guys, and there isn't even a choice (hmm, why is that? I call prejudice on GM's part!)

Just think of it as one of the perks of playing a high WIS character. ;)

Derryth does not think that, that would be a good idea. Casting tires the mind of a mage and she is currently in a place where the only thing keeping her intact is the strength of her mind. Naturally she is reluctant to weaken herself, making an accident more likely, to help out a group of creatures that seem quite hostile and will win anyway.

But if you want it as an option... :lol:

Current Tally:

Kz3r0 Av
Kipeci E
Smashing Axe Ai
Baltika9 Ai
GreyViper Av
Azira C>E
Nevill Av
asxetos D
Jester Ai
Cassidy Ai
Grimgravy Av
Zero Credibility D>A (not iv or v)

A) (9 votes)
i. 5 votes
ii.
iii.
iv.
v. 4 vote
B)
C) 1 vote
D) 1 vote
E) 1 vote

The vote will close in six hours, with the update to follow some time after that (probably within twelve hours).

Jester

Arbiter
i. Control: You will try out your new Control spell on the lead creature. If you can get it to attack its followers that should give the unmarked creatures a fighting chance. You will work with Thaïs on this as neither of you have mastered the spell yet.
- use new spell! What can go wrong? Its not like it will explode target head... this time. Messed up spell could be interesting read, will mess up chain of command efective and making their enemies best warrior bow to us should be mortifying for unmarked, fear the unknown etc. If it will work and target survive, we should be able to ask both sides what is going on afterwards. If it will not work we still kill guy, usage of false memory or something similar could decrease possibility of additional check.

ii. Assault: You will use your assault spells to incapacitate as many of the creatures as you can. This should allow the unmarked creatures to fight back.
- tested and reliable. Not something jaw dropping so there will be no persuade advantage, but should work good enough.

iii. Fear: You will test your new Fear spells to break the marked creature will. Once they begin routing the unmarked should be able to run them down.
- Sound cool, but we would have to make it overwhelming, target specific side, etc. Many things could go wrong and is quite risky.

iv. Fire: These creatures live in near darkness. You have seen no hints that they are even aware of what fire is. You will hit the lead creature with firebolt, then work your way down the chain of command. They should route rather quickly after that. If this works it would also make for a rather impressive sight and might overawe the locals.
- shock and ave. Same thing like with showing Derryth as head-hunter mage. Doubt that anyone will try attack after we fry their mightiest warrior.

v. Retrieve Item + Control: You will steal the lead creature's orb first then proceed as in Ai
- Get shiny. What it does? Some sort of control device? Weapon? Holy hand grenade? Using posibly magical item with unknown properties could be bad idea, but could be good one. I expect it was used to make those scars in some way to control their kin, still its a guess.

B) Diplomacy - you will wait until the battle ends then attempt to negotiate with the marked creatures and their sphere carrying leader.
- Emm doubt that it will work. Scar fraction sound like a more brutal one. Peaceful negotiation is more likely with not marked ones.

C) Spy - You will let the battle play out then attempt to follow the marked creatures back to their lair. You do not think this war party would be open to negotiation but they may have a leader that is more reasonable.
- stealth check? Derryth strike me as someone who is better at detecting than hiding and we dont have magic that can help with that. Had i mentioned that going into place with more possible enemies could be bad idea?

D) Capture - You will slip around to the stairs and grab the incapacitated creature leaning on the far wall. If you are quick you hope you can pull it off without anyone spotting you. Once you have the creature you can properly interrogate it.
- Find out what the hell is going on before joining option. On one hand they are bit occupied with battle, but part about them living in near darkness probably mean that they can use other senses better. So i guess detection is possibility. I doubt that creature will attack us, but it can start screaming or something alarming everyone.

E) Leave - These creatures do not really strike you as reasonable. You leave them to their war and go backward looking for Nine.
-GTFO option, we dont have any idea if we can get info from them so why not leg it?

I am wondering how nine head will react on casting spells inside.

Edit Oh and unscared ones could make good meat shields, so spending spell here could help us avoid using up more power later..

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright Ai takes it. You will attempt to seize control of a small part of Nine's mind... what's the worst that could happen? ;)

Update should be out in 6-8 hrs when I get a moment to roll up the results and type up the update.

Fangshi

Arcane
Baltika9 said:
Hmm, do we get a Wisdom penalty while doing something retarded?

Maybe you should...

I mean when are green orbs ever good? You better hope it is not this thing:

of.jpg

Or you are right fucked... :lol:

Baltika9

Arcane
But green is a good color! I'd understand if it were black or crimson.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom