Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Name one good RPG where you HAVE to play as a female

Cael

Arcane
Isn't there a new Witcher-like game starring a female android and set in a steam-punk Victorian France?

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Isn't there a new Witcher-like game starring a female android and set in a steam-punk Victorian France?
It's a "souls-like" called Steelrising. Can't vouch for its quality. It was made by Spiders, the Greedfall and Technomancer devs; whether that interests you or repulses you will greatly vary.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Final Fantasy VI has an ensemble cast where the two most important protagonists are women. Also happens to be the best game in the JRPG subgenre, but many Codexers will consider this a back-handed compliment. :M

deuxhero

Arcane
For a "proper" western RPG, I'd imagine the best way to answer this question is find a game where the tutorial or a mandatory sidestory has you play as a fixed female character instead of your character. The one that comes to mind is Knights of the Old Republic 2, where you have to play as Mira for a segment if you aren't darkside.

Ladonna

Arcane
Final Fantasy VI has an ensemble cast where the two most important protagonists are women. Also happens to be the best game in the JRPG subgenre, but many Codexers will consider this a back-handed compliment. :M

If we are going into Jap CRPG's then there are heaps. Final Fantasy even has one I think (as in only a female, or all female party). Don't ask me which one though, I just remember reading some review where the guy ranted about it.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
how would that RPG look like? You have to do the dishes and clean the house before your deadbeat husband comes home with a hooker and beats the shit out of you?

Self-Ejected

Dadd

Self-Ejected
There is one JRPG where you have to play as females
Final-Fantasy-X-X2-HD-Remaster-Screenshot-156.jpg

laclongquan

Arcane
FF6! Dat opera performance~
Septerra Core~ it also boast a selection of quite memorable female npcs
Parasite Eve 1 and 2. Two different game with different engine~
FF X-2
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale . Holy Carp!
Valkyrie Profile 1
Valkyrie Profile 2. Two different games on PS1 and 2, with different female MC.
Nier Automata obviously. The most famous butt because Miranda doesnt do absolute territory~
Tomb raider series dont count I think. Not fit half of the 12 requirement
Bulletwitch, then Bayonetta series... I am unsure if it can be called RPG though.
----
The "good" adjective is a weasel word. Any game fit the bill can simply be discarded by OP's dismissal of being not good in his book.

Last edited:

Lt Broccoli

Educated
You may be right...can't find any RPGs... However, a game what could be loosely called an action/stealth hybrid with roleplaying elements...Dishonoured 2... - during the prologue you play as Empress Emily Kaldwin.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Summoner 2
one catch - it's was made only on Playstation 2 (while first game got both PC and PS2 release) with Prima Guide available - which means a bunch of stuff will not be gained or accomplished in one playthrough due to forced obscurity to sell the guide

Kult: Heretic Kingdoms
must resume my old playthrough some day...

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One can argue about its quality, but Disciples: Liberation has a female lead.

Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 both have a female lead. There are more jrpgs that I won't mention.

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is a good Final Fantasy Tactics clone, with a female protagonist.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
this seems like an unexplored concept. Female protagonists pair quite well with juxtaposing settings, like Alien for example. You have a fragile woman facing against the big bad monster.

RPG progression could be tied to agility or intellect based stats that would help her, realistically, progress through the harsh/twisted environment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom