Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Narfox ventures out WeeRPG on Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Narfox Studios; WeeRPG

Narfox Studios have released their casual rogue-lite, WeeRPG on Steam. It features a classless and skill based character system, random dungeon generation, equiped items showing on your character, lots of monsters and loot, up to four player coop, full controller support, and so on. It's currently on a 35% off release sale price of $6.49.

Hack and slash your way through this loot-rich ARPG with up to four local friends. Outfit your classless character to look and play the way you want. As you venture deeper, monsters get tougher and more numerous but the loot gets more epic! Tactical gear combinations and combat skill will determine how deep you can go. Return to your home base to upgrade or buy new gear, outfit your character, and then venture back into the deep.

Interestingly enough, these are the same developers that did Masteroid, Steam link, which is a procedurally generated top down spacer trader which I liked pretty well. It kind of reminded me of Escape Velocity, which is a classic. It's worth a look if you're hankering for that type of game.

While clearly not a hardcore roguelike, it might make for a fun time with friends. Some of the stuff in the trailer made me chuckle like the trainer dialog.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
so many of these games look like shit

i will always be in the "gameplay is king" camp, but it's crazy we can't get better presentation today than in the 90s.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member

i will always be in the "gameplay is king" camp, but it's crazy we can't get better presentation today than in the 90s.

So, what looks so bad about it? It's incredibly ironic that you guys furiously circle jerking, lube-less in most cases, and leaning in for full splatter, over the Prelude to Darkness source being released are the same bitches that poo-poo over nearly everything else that's made by a small team of developers typically over the graphics in the thumbnail of the trailer. Prelude to Darkness was awesome, I beat it no less than three times trying all the story branches. But let's face it, even when it came out, it's graphics weren't the best. Was it fun? Yeah. Did it have some great ideas? You betcha. However, I'd be willing to bet if Prelude to Darkness were released today, you guys would sperg out like the twats you are and lampoon the game based on the thumbnail.

dacencora

The graphics really aren’t that bad. I’m personally not real big into real-time roguelites, but other than that, it doesn’t look bad

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer

Eh... why does this remind me of something else from steam? Oh yeah..

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
I want Infinitron 100% back. At least he was JUST posting about Outer Worlds, and not this kind of garbage.
Nope. At least this way there is a chance Saint_Proverbius will post something good. While with Infi, we are only getting shitty triple A wanna-be rpgs from has-been devs.

It's amazing that most indie games became the same as triple A, but lacking the money to have better graphics. Every other indie game looks like the same, which is the same for triple A.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Looks like it could be fun. I have to be in a certain mood to get into these types of games. I like the slower pacing that it appears to have. I remember playing Chronicon which is an amazing game if you havent played it, and it ended up being quite fast during end game. The trailer shows sped up gameplay, but when you are playing the first half of the game, its actually pretty slow and comfy. Anyhow, I'll give Wee RPG (stupid name) a try. Here is a link to Chronicon, in case anyone missed it. Its fun.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Eh... why does this remind me of something else from steam? Oh yeah..

That's kind of funny. I see the comparison there. It actually reminded me more of Super Meat Boy when I first saw it. That was a nasty little platformer game. It looks like it would be easy, but the level difficulty scales fairly quickly.

Viata

Arcane
Super Meat Boy started that "hard as fuck game with a lot of platforms and one-hit-kill obstacles" genre for indie games. To the point I thought indie games sucked because they were all looking like SMB.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Just got done playing for a "wee" bit.

It stutters. Not the type that shows up on an fps meter but that annoying microstutter. Unity is shit.
So when you swing your weapon its either to the left or right. If a mob is above or below your character you can still hit them but its still left or right swing animation only.
You cant seemlessly switch between kbm / controller. Its one or the other
Didnt see any keybinds
No equipping gear inside the procedural dungeon. Gotta wait till you get back. You access your inventory via a storage chest in little shack you call home.
You can turn off the footstep sounds. While I actually quite like footsteps sounds in games this one needed to be turned off as it was annoying. And the developers must have received feedback or knew it was annoying and made an option to turn them off.

Overall its a very basic game. Has a defintie charm to it. Its slow, cozy, and easy. If the stutter wasnt there I might keep it. I tested it on another machine just to be sure and it was still there.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Why the fuck would they use it for a 2D game?

There's a lot of people that use Unity for 2D. It's probably just what they're used to. Plus it's got a ridiculous amount of support, tutorials, and so on. I just looked over their website and I don't think they've done a 3D game, so it would have to be something along the lines of the support, ease of use, and so on.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Why the fuck would they use it for a 2D game?

I remember when I started game development 2016/2017, you essentially had 3 big options. Unity, Unreal, GameMaker. Godot was still in its infancy and lots of other options were more low-level or only drag-and-drop etc. - so either not very beginner-friendly (although that's debatable) or too simple.

RPGMaker had a lot of hate due to the sheer number of shitty RPGMaker games and the look that inevitable felt cheap. Many people also didn't or don't know that you can change a surprising amount of stuff with plugins and the like (there are RPGMaker games that really don't look like one).

Unreal was the 3D Engine, so only GameMaker and Unity were left. Since GameMaker was the 2D one, most people choose Unity since it had support for 3D and 2D. GameMaker also isn't free and Unity has, like Proverbius said, a big amount of tutorials. And if you started then, you are more likely to still use the same tools.

But even if you started now: Not much has changed in the popular opinion. Unity is still the 2D/3D hybrid, Unreal the 3D and realistic graphics king, GameMaker is just a 2D Engine. Godot is now here and supported but people say that the 3D support is shit although I beg to differ and use Godot for 3D and 2D games. So most people still think: eh, I'm not sure if I want to do 3D games in the future, so I learn Unity and can do both.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I still think the best RPG maker game is Charles Barkeley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden followed by Black Cat.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
138059_0.jpg

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not that i am against little small indie project, but the momebt i hear rogue lite, or anything associated with rogue(insert suffix) into the trash it goes.

I thought the art was cute, but no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom