Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Gerrard

Arcane
So after 5 years they finally add a new class and it's the fucking bard.
And from what I've gathered from a quick look at the community it seems that in the last updates they removed most party-wide buffs from all the existing classes.
:hero:

Sharpedge

Prophet
And from what I've gathered from a quick look at the community it seems that in the last updates they removed most party-wide buffs from all the existing classes.
All the better to sell the bard, of course.

Sykar

Arcane
>charm of vanilla WoW
Opinion discarded.

Also the game is not F2P friendly at all, the exchange has months of backlog because the rates are shit (even though they raised it to 750). Nobody sells Zen because there's nothing to buy with AD, all the important things are in the store.

What's wrong with vanilla WoW? Had great memories of it levelling up, learning the ropes of 5 men dungeons, and learning and dying through all the raids. There wasn't random matchmixing, cross-servers play etc, you either had friends to play with or it forced you to be social with other people. I loved it.

Being a new player in Neverwinter, so far the end-game rank 12-14 enchantments are sold in AD and they're like 3m-4m AD cost. It'll take a long while just to grind out that amount by doing daily randoms. I can buy companions, mounts and bags with AD as well. Got everything I have through NPCs, quests and AH. I did pay for one month VIP to compensate them for the time I spent in Neverwinter. Compared to SWTOR where I returned to play and can't even get bag space for my alt without subscribing, and I used to be a launch day paid subscriber for SWTOR.

That would depend on whom you ask. Evercrack players will complain that WoW made MMOs "too accessible" to casuals, aka sane players with an actual job. "Casuals" like me did not like the idiotic time sinks like farming for fire resist gear for the earliest endgame dungeons and raids for example. This was the reason why I spent most of my time PvPing though thanks to raid gear being idioticly overpowered especially BWL and onward easily eclipsing PvP gear you could gain as a reward and PvP top tier reward being basically barred behind the time sink that only 12-16 hours no lifer retards could accomplish. In fact since you were competing for weekly points to improve your relative rankins if you were not a 12-16 hours ppd (playtime per day) you would never get it. Hell I had vacation to get the mid tier rewards at least and even that cost me 6-8 hours and my entire vacation of 4 weeks, ugh. Not fun at all that idiotic grind only rewarding no lifer retards.

Gerrard

Arcane
Oh yeah, and apparently they are changing the max level to 20 in the next big update. What is even going on with this game?

Drakron

Arcane
Oh yeah, and apparently they are changing the max level to 20 in the next big update. What is even going on with this game?
Maybe they are transitioning the game to 5th edition considering the slam dunk that was MtG ended up being cancelled before leaving beta.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
All the better to sell the bard, of course.
Well looks like they made one of the Paragon paths a gish (D&D fighter/mage trope). The Songblade is obviously a callout to Elven Bladesingers (FR). I'm perfectly okay with that lol.

Not that I've played one yet lol.

Has anyone?

Spike

Educated
:necro:

This still good/not cucked? Recently read that an OG dev (Keith Bror) who worked on Pool of Radiance and the other Gold Box games while at SSI is the lead programmer for this game (as of April 2022). So I am holding out it is safer from woke corruption.

430am

Educated
i was going to try it months ago, then i noticed they're demanding w10 for a 15 years old engine.
What's the deal with refusing to use Windows 10?
It does exactly what "people" that use windows need - works out of the box on pretty much any hardware that's younger than your dad with any setup and has good backwards support.
If you're gonna say telemetry/spying -- you're way out of your field here, previous versions rang home all the time as well and had telemetry implemented as part of routine security updates (which you should have, and can install separately from regular ones). Go ahead, sniff your traffic and see for yourself how many calls and to where your "reliable" system makes in an hour. If you don't install any updates at all then you have no idea how computers work and shouldn't be complaining when anything running modern frameworks throws exceptions. Don't like it? Use Linux. Plus there exist versions that mostly fix the telemetry issue like Ameliorated, which have been verified with Wireshark.
If you're gonna say it's "a mess", then every single version is, they all run on an old piece of shit NTOS kernel with barely any new features and are a mash of code from versions all over even back to 98's code.
if you "don't like it visually" -- new versions have support for decorating windows like older systems did, and newsflash, every single windows version still has close to no customization where you have to hack a bootleg shell patch to even let your taskbar look differently.
If your system straight up can't support 10, you have much bigger priorities to deal with than complaining about not being able to run video games -- get a job and stop being broke.

Last edited:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Windows is like an old battered pickup truck. Just shove all your crap in there and pootle around, it's perfectly fine for that.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
Was looking to play an MMO recently. I have played most MMO's at one point or another since UO / EQ. (exluding most Korean MMO's) Some I have played a lot, like EQ, EQ2, WoW, & ESO over the years. Most have turned to shit. Nostalgia can pull me back in though.

Anyhow, I decided to give Neverwinter a try. The last time I played was around 8 years ago for a couple of months. This info is after having played on and off for a couple of weeks now. Full new player experience, no outside information gathering, no attempt at meta, and no rushing. This is strictly what I gathered as a new player. As a sidenote, I stopped playing the TTRPG at 3.5.

- Level cap is 20. You don'gain exp by killing mobs. You gain levels by doing the main questline. At certain milestones, the main quest will reward you a level. Took a little getting used to but I have no real qualms with this.

- Each area that a questline happens in is called an Adventure. Your first adventure starts in Neverdeath Graveyard. You do a series of quests with numerous NPC's taking part, then upon completion of all quests, you go back to the city turn it in and go off on another adventure to a new zone.

- I tried each class up to a certain point. In most MMO's I usually play one of the evil type classes so I ended going with the Warlock. Paladin was fun. The Bard has you actually press buttons in sequence for some abilites, to play your instrument. It was cool. The Cleric also seemed quite fun. The classes were somewhat varied in playstyle.

- The classes are, Barbarian, Paladin, Fighter, Warlock, Bard, Cleric, Rogue, Wizard, Ranger. Some classes have two specs to choose from like the Cleric can be either a DPS or a Healer, while some like the Rogue can only be DPS. At some point while you gain levels you will be presented with an the option to choose which one you wish to be. As a Warlock, upon reaching level 11, I was presented with two Paragons. Hellbringer (DPS) or Soulweaver (Heals). I went Hellbringer.

- Most of the usual races are represeted. Humans, Half Elf, Drow, Halfling, Wood Elf, Tiefling etc. Then there are some oddballs locked behind a paywall like one called a Menzoberranzan Renegade

- These adventures are all soloable. A friend took pity on me and joined for a day and it was quite easy going. After he bailed, I went back to soloing and found it a tad bit more challenging. This isn't like current WoW or EQ2. Mobs actually have a healthpool and you need to use your abilities to kill stuff. No one shotting.

- There are a lot of bosses to fight. Some really cool looking ones too. They are presented in a quick cutscene as you approach. So far they all have quite simple mechanics which I am fine with. There are "get out of the fire" markers on the ground like most MMO's use nowadays.

- There has been a good amount of monster types that follow the D&D Monster Manual feel.

- The game is janky to control. You get used to it, but it is stiff.

- The combat is action, not tab target.

- Most enounters are just that, encounters. Groups of mobs rule the day. It plays more like an ARPG (grim dawn, diablo 3, path etc) than a classic MMO.

- There are NPC companions. They can either be a tank, dps, or healer. So far I have only used a healer. They can use companion gear. There are a very large amount of companions. There appears to be numerous ways of getting them. I am sure some involve money. They are super helpful, maybe a bit OP.

- I joined a guild. They have a stronghold (guildhalls) with a lot of daily quests. Some require a group some are soloable. I didn't do much in that regard.

- Guilds can form Alliances so you can join guilds together in a common chat channel and find like minded people.

- Reading guild / alliance chat on occasion, it appears the playerbase is on the older side. At least with this group of people. They seem to be meta gaming pretty hardcore, spending a lot of RL money, and just grinding things out as quick as they can. Might be an anomaly, but I doubt it.

- The graphics show their age but are cozy. The art style is actually very good. The zones are varied and interesting. Old graveyards, full moons, snowy peaks, haunted forests, old mines, dungeons etc. I find the graphics quite pleasing overall. But I like the graphics from Piranha Byte and Spiders games a lot, so take that for what its worth.

- I have everything on highest setting and the game runs fine. My spec are way above the recommends. I put the game on a much older PC and it ran fine on that too.

- The music ranges from good to decent

- The sounds effects, while not super high quality, are actually really good and suit the various classes and monsters.

- The ambient sounds are excellent. I recommend turning those up.

- There are a lot of mounts. Some are behind a paywall. Some get handed out as you do your adventures. I have a couple of horses, a bear, and snail . They each have a paragraph of lore. They can also have mount only items you can attach to the mount slots. They also have differnt quality levels to them like gear does. And they offer you an ability to choose from that goes on a mount only section of your hotbar as well as some passives.

- Speaking of hotbars, you gain new abilities at various levels. Your hotbar has sections to it. So it's not a "place all moves anywhere" setup. You have moves that only go into certain areas of the hotbar. As you gain new abilities you will need to decide which of them you want to use. You will not have a hotbar filled with every move. It is limited in space.

- You don't loot the mobs you kill. They drop gold etc on the ground and you move your character over it.

- There is a good amount of lore to collect. It is kept in a seperate tab. Each adventure zone has some really interesting lore. If you are a fan of the setting then you will already be familiar with a lot of the lore its based off of.

- For crafting you get an instanced workshop. It has leveling. You have a little office inside the workshop where you can go over NPC' applications to see if they are a good match. You send them out to gather items (instant if you have enough morale points or timers if you dont.) and to create items. You are more like a boss than a crafter. This is one of the parts of the game I haven't experienced much yet.

- The NPC's quest givers are all voiced. It would appear that they changed voice actors at various stages of the game. Because sometimes the same NPC will use a different voice. The voice acting has been fine.

- If there is any wokeness then it would be in parts of the game I have yet to see. The quest dialogue is distinctly not woke so far.

- As you kill mobs, on occasion, a lootbox will drop. These lootboxes contain a huge amount of possible items. Mounts, currencies, companions, and a lot more. To open these boxes you need a key. A key cost money. Each key is 1 Dollar USD.

- They have a monthly option called VIP. You spend what amounts to 10 USD and you get various perks. One of the perks is 1 key to open up these damned chests once a day. Other perks appear to be more fast travel less mount usage , workshop related things, and extra currencies as you play.

- The monetizaion appears to be very robust. I have yet to spend any actual money, so it can be played without spending a dime. If I were to get into the game, I would calculate around a minimum of 10 - 15 dollars a month. So about the price of a WoW / FFXIV sub. I am certain that the people really into the game are spending a lot more than that though.

I am not sure if I will keep playing. I usually like to devote my attention to one game at a time. With this one I have also been playing a couple of other games on and off as well. But I have yet to hit level 20, so I am going to do that at least. I have a feeling the monetization is going to get heavy handed once reaching max level. I am not one for spending inordinate amounts of money on MMO's. I enjoy MMO gaming a lot, but I have grown callous and jaded to their schemes. I think approaching this game from a more casual perspective is the right mindset to have.

Gerrard

Arcane
I just realized this was the 10 year anniversary of the game, so I went to check what they did to celebrate that occasion aaaand... they did nothing special. Literally could not have asked for a more perfect summary of the studio's attitude towards the game.
:greatjob:
"For Cryptic... it was Tuesday."

And BTW the game was released on June 20th, which was a Tuesday this year. Fucking pottery.

Last edited:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
This would have been a decent MMO for devices like the Steam Deck and Ally, but they never bothered to patch in controller support for the PC version, despite a console version existing.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's like all the Cryptic MMOs after CoH: often good ideas and good implementation, and fairly chunky gameplay loops - but kind of half-baked, and lacking that extra mile in the presentation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom