Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Tiefling Wizard/Warlock is mine.

Mortmal

Arcane
D&D artwork should remain forever trapped in the Elmore dimension.

Wakshaani-Aleena_03.jpg

i dont know for you, fut i feel like a little pinch to my heart when seeing those again. Superior art style, superior gaming, old days...

Baron

Arcane
Yup. Before the world was overrun with the Munchkins. When you rolled a d6 weapon at someone with +2 damage you knew you were going to fuck up some orc's day. It was a Nobler Age, when one's power was derived, not from spreadsheets and builds, but from cheating on your inventory and hitpoints.

Vaarna_Aarne

Beta Weekend dates were announced. STO and CO lifers get access to the second and third weekends, which are scheduled for March.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...erwinter-Beta-Weekend-details-Read-this-first!

Also, it seems the Lifetime bonus race is Drow from the city Drizzt is from. I for one would rather choke the bitch who thought that was a good idea (it lowers the value of the deal). On the other hand, Tiefling Wizards are in.

Stokowski

Arcane
UI from Lotro.
Gameplay from Guild Wars 2.
Loot from Diablo.
Whatever that adds up to, it sure aint D&D.

waywardOne

Arcane
If there's no party-based gameplay, it's not (A)D&D. Idiots spamming chat with "LFG" is not deserving of the name.

anus_pounder

Arcane
If its soloable like CO and STO, definitely worth a look I guess. Couldn't be worse than CO F2P. Still can't believe I maxed out my f2p char...

Thane Solus

Arcane
its like DDO, with worse dungeons and consilish combat, at least it does have free aim. Fans of D&D will go berserk. Not a bad free mmo, but they shouldn't ever, ever called it Neverwinter. What do you expect from some retarded south koreans. Its polished, but its very much like DDO, with crappy dungeons and art direction of Guild Farts 2.

Also the biggest shit they did that i saw so far and probably it will become a model for others. To get in beta for a free mmo, you have to pay for one of packages available: 19.99$ 60$ and 200$ new race, ghey fapanese elfs.

FU ALL!

Vaarna_Aarne

UI from Lotro.
Gameplay from Guild Wars 2.
Loot from Diablo.
Whatever that adds up to, it sure aint D&D.
Actually it's more probable that the combat is like that in CO and STO, which both handled actiony combat much better than GW2.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
its like DDO, with worse dungeons and consilish combat, at least it does have free aim.
'cept ddo doesn't let you make your own adventures or dungeons.
sto's foundry is pretty cool and neverwinter's supposedly has way more features, which for me at least would make it a much more dnd-esque game than ddo.

Zetor

Arcane
I wonder if the NW foundry will be as good as City of Heroes' Mission Architect... that toolkit was pretty damn good. (and had more features than the STO equivalent, if my STO-playing friends are to be believed)

It's also pretty much the only reason I'm interested in this game, fwiw.

Stokowski

Arcane
"Your boobs bounce."
"I have massive knockers."
"Do my boobs bounce?"
"Just a tiny bit."
"Important gameplay information!"

:roll:

Zetor

Arcane
After having played a bit this weekend (got a friend code for a weekend beta event - there's no NDA for beta weekends, btw), the game plays very similarly to an ARPG down to the holding down of LMB and mobs exploding into gold piles / loot. Someone said it's like "Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance", but I never played that game so whatevs. 3 main problems are the 2004-era looting system, the sluggish-feeling combat with every single attack rooting you (borderline dealbreaker for me, GW2 is WAY better), and that stupidly overdesigned invocation / celestial tokens / ardent coins / astral diamonds that seems designed to get people to waste money at the cash shop. Oh yeah, "rolling your stats" is pretty much fake, and annoying... just give me a point buy system or something, geez.

The main thing I'm interested in (Foundry) looks pretty impressive though -- the actual Foundry was not available for testing the weekend, but some alpha testers have made quests I could look at. I was pretty involved with the Mission Architect community back in City of Heroes (RIP), and NW's Foundry looks a heck of a lot more powerful. You can build your own maps from customizable building blocks, have dialogue trees (without any actual consequnces, but hey), customize enemies, etc. When you choose to play a Foundry quest, the quest integrates into the world with its own questgivers, dungeon locations and everything.

Gerrard

Arcane
Retards already complaining about being unable to run around while flailing weapons like a retard. I want to murder these people.

Vaarna_Aarne

I would actually expect that the game system would use a selective lockdown on different abilities, seeing how that's how Cryptic did ARPG combat with both their previous games (more notable in Champions due to a much larger number of charged or maintained powers). Seems a bit odd if things are so stationary this time around. Especially considering the fact that from my perspective as a lifer on those two games, GW2 was years behind their curve in mobile combat.

Also Zetor what's the deal with "rolling your stats"?

Zetor

Arcane
Retards already complaining about being unable to run around while flailing weapons like a retard. I want to murder these people.
You do know casting abilities in TSW and GW2 slows your movement down, and plenty of abilities do in fact root you, right? It's called a compromise. Also, people complaining about others being mobile while they use abilities are typically keyboard turners and clickers who are mad because someone outplayed them in pvp. Are you a clicker or keyboard turner?

I would actually expect that the game system would use a selective lockdown on different abilities, seeing how that's how Cryptic did ARPG combat with both their previous games (more notable in Champions due to a much larger number of charged or maintained powers). Seems a bit odd if things are so stationary this time around. Especially considering the fact that from my perspective as a lifer on those two games, GW2 was years behind their curve in mobile combat.
I played Champions Online for a while as a tank as well as GW2, and ChampO 'action combat' doesn't hold a candle to GW2, sorry. Having to basically hold down block when fighting multiple elites (interspersed with hitting a high-aggro ability ever so often) to avoid getting instagibbed was not fun, and the concept of energy builders is terrible. GW2-style dodging has a lot more finesse. There are plenty of abilities in GW2 that root you, btw, and that's fine - but having EVERYTHING (even your basic autoattack) root you is bad. It essentially acts as a multiplier to latency as well - if you have bad ping, you'll suffer from it both when starting an attack (you need to be immobile longer) and trying to move after an attack (you'll still be rooted for half a second after your attack has finished). Combining that with the regular get-out-of-bad-stuff red circles is not a good thing. I did notice that the divine power-fueled autoattack can be cast while moving, but considering the devs explicitly said they want every attack to root the player for "animations to look better", I'm sure that'll change too.

That said, after playing the game a bit more, I sort of mellowed on this. It's not THAT different from City of Heroes, after all... the main outcome is that it makes pvp shit. But then, pvp in COH/ChampO was always shit, so this is just par for the course.

Also Zetor what's the deal with "rolling your stats"?
When you create your character, you 'roll your D&D stats' on one of the screens. It seems to work just like any of the old AD&D games - you get some 'random' numbers for each stat and you can click reroll to get a new set. Only... the stats you get aren't random. Basically there are some sets of pre-rolled stat distributions (I think fighters only get 2, clerics get 5-6?) and you'll get one of them when you press reroll. Ultimately you want one of the distributions that maxes out your primary stat over your secondary stats anyway (for clerics this was 13 str, 12 con, 8 dex, 10 int, 18 wis, 13 cha iirc), so the system is completely pointless.

waywardOne

Arcane
When you create your character, you 'roll your D&D stats' on one of the screens. It seems to work just like any of the old AD&D games - you get some 'random' numbers for each stat and you can click reroll to get a new set. Only... the stats you get aren't random. Basically there are some sets of pre-rolled stat distributions (I think fighters only get 2, clerics get 5-6?) and you'll get one of them when you press reroll. Ultimately you want one of the distributions that maxes out your primary stat over your secondary stats anyway (for clerics this was 13 str, 12 con, 8 dex, 10 int, 18 wis, 13 cha iirc), so the system is completely pointless.
That would work fine if they had enough 'stat builds' to choose among (10?), but it still should be by selection, not this fake randomization.

Cool name

Arcane
I do have a couple of questions, if you guys do not mind.

1. Is combat similar to Raiderz, Tera, Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes, Blade+Soul, etc, or is it click-click-click like Champions et al?

2. How much skillset/role customization is there? Can two wizards have vastly different roles based on what skills/spells they do pick?

3. What mechanics are there behind Charisma? From what I do understand Tieflings do get to pick between +2 Int and +2 Cha, yet there are currently only Priests, Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues as classes. Is there a reason to pick +2 Cha?

4. Are Tieflings forced to be ugly bulky red things or is it possible to make a pretty one? :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom