Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
You guys are disgraceful. Discussing this game like there is anything good abouit it. It's, gonna be SHIT!

Gerrard

Arcane
Retards already complaining about being unable to run around while flailing weapons like a retard. I want to murder these people.
You do know casting abilities in TSW and GW2 slows your movement down, and plenty of abilities do in fact root you, right? It's called a compromise. Also, people complaining about others being mobile while they use abilities are typically keyboard turners and clickers who are mad because someone outplayed them in pvp. Are you a clicker or keyboard turner?
People who complain about being unable to flail while moving are people who never played anything but MMOs, and definitely not action games.
The only game where this was acceptable were the Jedi Knight games, where the lightsabers have no mass.

Angthoron

Arcane
I could flail my weapons in WAR and it still sucked dicks. I couldn't flail my weapons in some other game and that game also sucked dicks.

Conclusion: fellation unrelated to flailation.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I could flail my weapons in WAR and it still sucked dicks. I couldn't flail my weapons in some other game and that game also sucked dicks.

Wouldn't that depend on whether it's the fellationer doing the flailing, or the fellationee? Evidence seems inconclusive.

Angthoron

Arcane

Wouldn't that depend on whether it's the fellationer doing the flailing, or the fellationee? Evidence seems inconclusive.
It could be, but both times it felt like flagellafion, and never with those games have I experienced an infatuation, rather, a flaccid infuriation.

Zetor

Arcane
When talking about MMOs, the proper term is flatulation.
I do have a couple of questions, if you guys do not mind.

1. Is combat similar to Raiderz, Tera, Vindictus/Mabinogi Heroes, Blade+Soul, etc, or is it click-click-click like Champions et al?

2. How much skillset/role customization is there? Can two wizards have vastly different roles based on what skills/spells they do pick?

3. What mechanics are there behind Charisma? From what I do understand Tieflings do get to pick between +2 Int and +2 Cha, yet there are currently only Priests, Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues as classes. Is there a reason to pick +2 Cha?

4. Are Tieflings forced to be ugly bulky red things or is it possible to make a pretty one? :?
1. It's similar to Tera/Vindictus. You hold down LMB or RMB to use your 'autoattacks', and have a very limited number of other abilities you can use - you can switch these out to change your focus. There are positional bonuses for striking enemies, red circles on the ground that you need to avoid, and active blocking (for warriors) / dodging (for everyone else). You can watch for tells to know when to dodge/block, though latency and the entire rooting thing doesn't make this very enjoyable.

2. Not that much. Clerics are probably the most versatile, since you can choose to use healing or nuking powers - but any other cleric can probably adopt the same role if they just equip the same skills. Feats (talent points) are mostly superfluous, too; most of them are just '1% more hp' per point, though you do get 3-4 different abilities based on which paragon path (specialization) you follow. You get 2 stat points every 10 levels, and you obviously want to max out your class' main stat (for clerics this means wisdom for 1% more damage/healing done per point along with 1% reduced CC duration on you + increased CC duration on enemies) and put your other stat points into your secondary stats (for clerics, str is better crit chance, dot resistance, and stamina regen; cha is faster cooldowns, more AP, and some other thing I forgot about)

3. Cha is a secondary stat for clerics and probably others as well. For clerics it reduces cooldowns and increases AP generation (allows you to use the 'big' daily powers more often). It's probably a better choice than str, unless you really want to focus on damage.

4. Tieflings seem to only come in the devil-esque horn variety, so you can't make a half-cerebrilith or whatever. Character generation in general is not that inspiring, but eh.

J1M

Arcane
I forgot they were going to completely ignore the D&D combat system. My interest returns to zero.

Cool name

Arcane
@ Zetor: I am grateful for the answer. :) With the combat as you did describe it I guess I will give it a try when it does come out. My main gripe with most western MMOs and some of the older Eastern ones is the emphasis they do put in 'character build' over player skill. Shame about the low customization and about the Tieflings though. :( I guess it is elves for me. Again. As always.

Cool name

Arcane
The character skill based gameplay of a RPG is too much of an equalizer when everyone does use the same builds and does follow the same general strategies on their use. If you are a good player the new trend is much more conductive to popularity and respect: People does tend to be much more impressed when you do something they would not be able to do even if they had the exact same character as you do, and your greatness is self evident when people who does try to imitate your moves and style does get horribly killed and can do nothing to stop it. No RPG-like experience can quite reach how you feel the first time a bunch of medium or high level players do get slaughtered by a boss and your lowbie in noob clothing who was told to stay back and let real men take care of it does solo it without breaking a sweat and then proceeds to revive everyone while being showered in guild invitations, friend requests, and comments on how totally badass you are. And in time they do discover you are a girl and their dicks crawl back into their bodies out of shame.

So I am, for one, pleased with the new trend. :P

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
On the subject of the lack of NDA, I take it you can take screenshots come March? I'll probably do a throughout check of the character creation options (incidentally, there will be murder if Cryptic doesn't include their delightful "change everything you want" tailors in Neverwinter).

Vaarna_Aarne

I was positively surprised. In many ways it's got the kind of gameplay GW2 was trying to go for. I really enjoyed playing as a Tiefling Wizard.

Also, cross-game chat works already and quite well, so I was chatting it up with Wild Slop and Norfleet while testing.

EDIT: I really like the animations and fighting style they made for wizards. Due to my cultural background, I find the idea that wizards would physically swing a staff or use a sling to be quite frankly stupid, so I welcome the more action-oriented ninja wizards (when you see the animations right from the static stance, you get where the ninja part comes from) in Neverwinter who fight solely through magic. I think it's a nice touch that the defense action of the wizard is not a defensive roll, but a defensive teleport spell.

The root-on-attack combat model also works surprisingly well. I was having serious doubts about this when I heard about it, but it actually meshes really well with the whole. Movement is extremely important for some classes (ie, Wizard), so attacking needs thinking put into it so you don't get whacked unnecessarily (all attacks have a dodge/block window of some manner). Judging by my go at the Fighter, they seem to have taken a que from GW2 with the difference between melee and ranged, with melee excelling at bread n butter AoE. In general, you feel a lot more powerful, distinct and actively involved in the combat than in GW2.

The art direction is also pretty good, there's certainly a lot more budget behind this than with the previous Cryptic MMOs (and of course, they snatched all the best people from both Champions and STO dev teams for Neverwinter, FREE TUMERBOY AND TACO). It's not GW2 in terms of visuals, but it holds its own as far as high fantasy landscaping goes. They seem to be going for more of a comic book look than the competition.

In terms of character customization, it's taken its cues from STO rather than CO. There's a lot more face options than body and accessory options. One thing I hope is that they'll add variety to horns and tails for Tieflings, or tusks for Half-Orcs. To answer Agassi earlier question, you can customize body type to such an extent that you can be slim rather than fuckhueg (actually, the slim preset is probably the best looking, since it's just a fit person instead of roid-monster). Your equipment color is changed by dyes, haven't found out if the tailor function where you can rework the entire character appearance are in (but I sure hope they are, it's one of the best features in CO and STO).

I'm going to play some more tomorrow, but so far I've been quite pleased.

Cool name

Arcane
In terms of character customization, it's taken its cues from STO rather than CO. There's a lot more face options than body and accessory options. One thing I hope is that they'll add variety to horns and tails for Tieflings, or tusks for Half-Orcs. To answer Agassi earlier question, you can customize body type to such an extent that you can be slim rather than fuckhueg (actually, the slim preset is probably the best looking, since it's just a fit person instead of roid-monster). Your equipment color is changed by dyes, haven't found out if the tailor function where you can rework the entire character appearance are in (but I sure hope they are, it's one of the best features in CO and STO).

So one can actually make a pwetty Tiefling? Those are good news. I do have a little thing for devils and demons. :D

And I do hope truly those deep character editors Cryptic is known for will be in. Back in Champions I did spend more time creating costumes, concepts, and Nemeses than I did actually playing the game.

A question: How does the C-Store/Z-Store work in this one? Is there some kind of time based currency like Dilithium/Questionite or is it like Perfect World in that everything that is being sold at the cash shop does end in the auction house for ridiculous amounts of generic money?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am also playing the beta and it is shit.

Will give more impressions later on. I want to see how deep the rabbit hole is.

Vaarna_Aarne

So one can actually make a pwetty Tiefling? Those are good news. I do have a little thing for devils and demons. :D

And I do hope truly those deep character editors Cryptic is known for will be in. Back in Champions I did spend more time creating costumes, concepts, and Nemeses than I did actually playing the game.

A question: How does the C-Store/Z-Store work in this one? Is there some kind of time based currency like Dilithium/Questionite or is it like Perfect World in that everything that is being sold at the cash shop does end in the auction house for ridiculous amounts of generic money?
Well, I guess it depends. You do still have the horns and all that, but face customization is on par with STO in terms of sliders (but there are more skin complexions), and body type is the same deal. Tattoos and scars don't have XYZ placement though.

It uses Zen alright, and the cash shop so far is mostly vanity mounts, companions, one fashion costume (they have a secondary look for the character), and the usual inventory/character slot/rename fare. Besides that, there's Astral Diamonds which I *think* are the Dilithium/Questionite equivalent.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Okay, here are my impressions.

First, I would like to say that I was not really expecting much of that game. I am a huge fan of the first NWN, still haven't really played 2, but just the press release was enough to deter me from this Neverwinter announcement. I got in the beta completely randomly, by answering in time to some guy who was giving free keys.

My first impressions were awful, then a lot better, then a bit bad again.

The first thing to keep in mind is that it is not the NWN you used to know : this is a WoW clone, with a twist. The twist being The Foundry. I was not able to try that aspect of the game since it somehow requires you to be level 15. But more on that later.

Let's start with the bad points :
-The combat is awful and pointless, and yes, that pretty much ruins most of the point of the game. Select your opponent, hold the mouse button, wait for it to die. _IF_ your opponent is tougher than average, then you will have to watch out for the red circles on the ground : that means he's going to cast an area effect spell there, or area attack/skill. This gives you ample time to leave or parry. Pretty much ruins the point. There is NO strategy involved so far, at least, until level 9 where I stopped playing.
-It is, so far, very buggy. I had to give up on my magic user because a bug prevented me from leaving the tutorial/intro area. I was completely stuck and this character became unusable. This happened again with my other character, Level 9 elf Fighter, which got stuck in an instance. An empty instance, with no usable item. I couldn't do anything and thus I left the game to post this. If this doesn't get fixed at release, people are going to get pissed.

That said, after a couple of hours, you know what to expect of the game : something that is unrelated to the game you loved, but something that is still DECENT compared to the standards of today, especially one : I actually think Neverwinter is a much better game than Diablo 3, to which it is easier to compare it to.

Though the game is multiplayer, you can play it single player which is most of what I did. The story appears to be more engaging than some RPGs, and less than others. Something about the Crown of Neverwinter being stolen by the Nasher gang, so far. Once in Neverwinter you are given quests, and sidequests : go there, kill that, fetch me this, bring it to this guy. It is fairly classic so far. Not bad. Just nothing special. Graphic wise, the game looks okay. Just okay, nothing special once again.

The depth, though it being a shallow game compared to the games we used to love... Well, it is better than Diablo 3 : skills, more character classes, the loot is a bit better, there is a lot more to do. So far, I haven't noticed any hindrance for being a free user and not paying anything. I have no doubt this will come at some point, though.

It is also better because of the Foundry, which allows for the best and worse. I did only two "homemade" quests. One brought to me to a forest and seemed interesting : it was the start of a custom campaign, but unfortunately the rest wasn't available. Another one really felt homemade : clunky execution, slightly glitchy, and spelling mistakes everywhere. As this game is going Free To Play, I expect to see a lot of those shitty quests pop up everywhere. The quests are given either from the game interface, or from some "bard" character who tells you about rumors which are player generated (and the start of said quest). Hopefully, there is a ranking system that can be used to sort the good fruit apart the rotten ones. Once the quest is finished, you can reward its author with some ingame money, that is also a nice touch.

To sum up, yes, it is dumbed down WoW/Diablo shit. HOWEVER, it is dumbed down WoW shit that is done correctly, and The Foundry is interesting. And in my opinion, it still puts Diablo 3 to shame in term of quality, depth, character customization, and of course, price value since it is F2P.

Also, I spent the two days of beta without talking to ANYONE AT ALL ingame. And this was not a bother.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I have to disagree with Vaarna, the graphical style is horrendously generic and especially armor design is just utterly horrendous. The combat is twitchy as hell at least with fighters, didn't really play other classes other than played through the first quest with cleric and wizard.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
taxalot
I've watched several video but have yet to see any dialogue. Is there any? Using the Foundry, do you think people will be able to make interesting stand-alone (text heavy) adventures?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
taxalot
I've watched several video but have yet to see any dialogue. Is there any? Using the Foundry, do you think people will be able to make interesting stand-alone (text heavy) adventures?

There is dialog , and some cutscenes. The quests I tried with the foundry had dialog, and one actually had extensive options, and used this dialog as a way to interact with items.

"("You see a Statue
1.Touch it
2.Inspect it.
3. Fuck it.")

That is of course an example.

Some of the dialog options seemed to be able to check for items you had in your inventory, or some of the skills you may or may not have. So it is actually quite powerful, especially if you consider nothing on the sort is there in the MMORPG world. You can make text heavy stuff, definitely, but I don't believe text heavy stuff will keep the attention of the Neverwinter crowd, sadly. So in short, yes, it allows text and story, but do not expect it to be as deep as NWN or NWN2.

Zetor

Arcane
The Foundry is the only reason I'm interested in this game. Back in COH, I was pretty involved with the Mission Architect author community, and there was some great content out there (including my own, of course :obviously: ). I've also applied to the Foundry beta; hope they'll find my 'credentials' good enough to get me in.

Other than the Foundry though, the rest of the game is kind of blah.

Vaarna_Aarne

taxalot
Well if STO is any indication, even with limited dialogue tree functions (read: The degree in which multiple choices can be accomondated) there will be a large amount of adventures which are almost entirely text. As taxalot mentioned, Neverwinter updates the functions from STO Foundry in this regard and is probably going to support text-a-thons further.

You can make text heavy stuff, definitely, but I don't believe text heavy stuff will keep the attention of the Neverwinter crowd, sadly.
I'd say it's more probable that the two most prominent types of adventure are going to be the text-heavy stuff, and the stuff designed for farming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom